• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: Wii U sold around 40k units in opening weekend. attach rate > 2:1

Both Asda and Sainsburys in Leicester (Fosse Park) both have stock, I was shopping at both earlier today. Expansys are not exactly a big console seller, and I'm laughing at the idea of Very selling them still, oh be mine Holly, be mine!
We are talking about online stores. No use is shifting the goal posts to what you do and do not consider "big console sellers" either. It's somewhere that had them and stock and now doesn't.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
lol @ Greggs stocking WiiU. They can barely keep up their stocks of cheese and onion pastys.

Stock isn't a problem with their pasties, it's their inability to bloody well heat them, nothing like buying something from their "hot" counter only to bite into a barely warmed slice of crap :p

warerare

When it comes to Nintendo games, I have high standards. WE have high standards.

We long term Nintendo fans can only standby for so long with the shovelware...yes, shovelware Nintendo pump out.

I fear WiiU will fail due to Nintendo taking a backseat, releasing even less games to give third parties "a chance".

What a stupid tactic. No one wants shit third party games on a Nintendo console. If 3rd parties released the same standard of games on the Wii or WiiU then they might get sales.

WiiU has potential to be the worst Nintendo console ever, even worse than Wii if they take this route. Nintendoland is a worrying sign already. I'm enjoying MarioU but a real Mario game would have been so much better.

So far, Nintendo deserve the shit they are getting.

WiiU is a disaster. They need to bring out a proper Mario game quick time or at least start announcing the good shit! I've just realised that they've not announced ANYTHING apart from Smash brothers!

Nintendo Land is getting a ton of love on GAF.

A real Mario game? Surely the 3D games are the spin offs. And Nintendo have got plenty in the pipeline from now until the end of March, lets see how E3 pans out.

I explained the WiiU to some of my work mates in the warehouse they seemed really exited asking for price etc.
I think the Wii is going to need some time to take off. But it looks more solid than the Wii in that sense.
Nintendo must improve their presence at mainstream stores in the UK. It feels like they don't care and that is very dangerous

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I had Nintendoland and traded it in for Mario, so I would be showing as owning them! :p

It's rather funny to me that the people hating on NintendoLand didn't even give it a proper chance. I seriously doubt you even put a hour into the game.

Don't just be making up cities to further anti-Nintendo bias mang.

That's right. Britain is to blame for the WiiU shitting the bed.

*roll eyes*

At what stage does acceptance kick in again?

Please.

Go into this thread - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=491170&page=26 - plenty of people reporting that they've had to travel around to find a system or games in stock. Clearly, if they just used GAMEs website or other well stocked online retailers, they can get one easily, and I've no doubt that they're available freely in some parts of the country -- but CVGs low launch shipment rumour looks to have proven true, backed up by what MCV have been saying. GAFs armchair analysts might be singing in perfect harmony about lightning in a bottle and the implications of smart devices, and how it'll ALL be different next year, but I think there's a bigger picture here -- the UK market looks and sounds substantively weaker than it was in 2005/6. The UK or perhaps all of Europe, seem to have proportionally low shipments compared to what is normal for a console launch. If the Wii U fails, it'll fail on its own merit, and that's fine -- but I don't know how you can try and pretend the UK games market is fine when a major console manufacturer has shipped half as many consoles as it did for its predecessor in 2006, and you only need to sell 100 units of a game to chart...

Is Wii U shitting the bed? We'll see.

Madouu

Because reviews and general opinion from owners of the title reflects that, right?

People who aren't interested in these kind of games, and feel as though they are obstacles preventing developers from working on the kind of games they like will express these kind of opinions, and try to push them as facts. No matter if a substantial part of the players having experienced it think otherwise.

WinFonda

What's WiiU's value proposition? As it stands, you're paying a premium to play shoddy current gen ports. It's no wonder.

WiiU would have been a great idea if it came out 3-4 years ago sans the tablet controller.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
2 Nintendo games at launch is a JOKE!

Not even classics, just EAD shovelware*. They can't even be bothered to support it properly!

How I wish for a return to the SNES and N64 launches where Nintendo released games that are remembered for decades to come!
You know, if you want to be seen as a decent joke character, at least get the jokes correct.

The N64 launch was a bloody disaster in the UK, which of course you don't remember because you're either not old enough, or just trolling for the sake of it.

Lest we forget: It was £250, 9 months late, launched with 3 games and bombed so hard the price was dropped by £100 soon after. This is discounting the usual PAL issues of borders on the screen, games literally being 17% slower than the NTSC versions because of poor conversion between 60 and 50hz, £60 games etc etc.

This isn't a great launch, and could easily have went better. As I said before, it needs to be at least £50 cheaper for each model, and games like Rayman Legends, Pikmin 3 and more need to come out ASAP but using false memories is frankly absurd.

PaulLFC

We are talking about online stores. No use is shifting the goal posts to what you do and do not consider "big console sellers" either.
Well he has a point. If someone wants to buy a Wii U, where are they going to go - Game or Expansys?

Some of the established retailers for games consoles are sold out, and that's more indicative of demand. Some aren't, nobody will know how many units each had, but whatever way we look at things 40,000 is not a good launch by any stretch.

Brera

Banned
You really think a new Mario game will get them out of this situation? First party alone will not save Nintendo this time I am afraid.

They fucked with trying to repeat the Wii trick.

I don't give a shit if it is a success or not. I want my HD Nintendo games...maybe some new franchises. As long as they stop chasing the casuals and service my needs.

Starfox
Fzero
Wave race
Yoshi's Land
A decent Zelda

Will satisfy me

meta4

Please.

Go into this thread - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=491170&page=26 - plenty of people reporting that they've had to travel around to find a system or games in stock. Clearly, if they just used GAMEs website or other well stocked online retailers, they can get one easily, and I've no doubt that they're available freely in some parts of the country -- but CVGs low launch shipment rumour looks to have proven true, backed up by what MCV have been saying. GAFs armchair analysts might be singing in perfect harmony about lightning in a bottle and the implications of smart devices, and how it'll ALL be different next year, but I think there's a bigger picture here -- the UK market looks and sounds substantively weaker than it was in 2005/6. The UK or perhaps all of Europe, seem to have proportionally low shipments compared to what is normal for a console launch. If the Wii U fails, it'll fail on its own merit, and that's fine -- but I don't know how you can try and pretend the UK games market is fine when a major console manufacturer has shipped half as many consoles as it did for its predecessor in 2006, and you only need to sell 100 units of a game to chart...

Is Wii U shitting the bed? We'll see.

Well I for one do hope its only because of Nintendo's obvious stupid mistakes and not the sign of things to come for the general Video game market. I really hope this is not the last gen of home consoles or atleast traditional gaming.

With 40k first week sales if there are any shortages in the retail channel it is because of Nintendo undershipping, probably on purpose to get "Wii U sells out" type headlines. 40k is poor, the worst home console launch since Sega were in the business.

Haunted

NSMBU is not shovelware. It's a safe sequel too similar to its predecessors, but it's a well-made game and a solid platformer.

If it's one of the first Mario game a kid ever plays, it'll come away with a very good impression. If you're 30+ and it's your 37th Mario platformer (and the third NSMB in 4 years), you won't be quite so enamoured with it.

edit: and Brera appears salty as fuck. :lol Brera's lament pt. 2?

PowderedToast

price too high, low value proposition, and confused brand marketing

but even considering all those factors, that figure is still painfully low

if ps4 and 720 debut at similarly disappointing numbers, can we finally declare the uk vg market as dead? something needs to resuscitate it, and soon

Apparently Asda are saying this when you try to order, despite showing it as in stock:

I wonder if there are any others doing similar things.

Most aren't, but in many areas there's zero supermarket stock - neither Asda nor Tesco near me have any mention of the console, software included. Asda usually has everything at launch, Vita, 3DS, XL iterations etc.

Skyzard

Banned
That's not the case. If you look at the UK chart threads you will see that poster defending the shit out of the fact that Playstation All Stars debuted 38th in the UK chart, and falling of the charts this weeks. But WiiU selling 40k and out of stock lots of places is horrible according to him. Double standards.

I'm the one who bumped the Holiday Bomba thread. Get a grip.

Brera

Banned
You know, if you want to be seen as a decent joke character, at least get the jokes correct.

The N64 launch was a bloody disaster in the UK, which of course you don't remember because you're either not old enough, or just trolling for the sake of it.

Lest we forget: It was £250, 9 months late, launched with 3 games and bombed so hard the price was dropped by £100 soon after. This is discounting the usual PAL issues of borders on the screen, games literally being 17% slower than the NTSC versions because of poor conversion between 60 and 50hz, £60 games etc etc.

This isn't a great launch, and could easily have went better. As I said before, it needs to be at least £50 cheaper for each model, and games like Rayman Legends, Pikmin 3 and more need to come out ASAP but using false memories is frankly absurd.

I was old enough to remember!

It did bomb hard but that meant a lowly college student could pick one up for £79.99 on launch YEAR!

But it had fucking awesome games. Wave Race, Starfox, Mario Kart, Mario 64, Pilotwings, Goldeneye all within "launch window".

I don't give a shit about sales....just give me games! Not the shit they expect me to be satisified with.

WiiU is flopping hard cos NO ONE gives a fuck about Nintendoland.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

It did bomb hard but that meant a lowly college student could pick one up for £79.99 on launch YEAR!

But it had fucking awesome games. Wave Race, Starfox, Mario Kart, Mario 64, Pilotwings, Goldeneye all within "launch window".

I don't give a shit about sales....just give me games! Not the shit they expect me to be satisified with.

...But the Premium pack counted for 60% of the sales. XD

NSMBU is not shovelware. It's a safe sequel too similar to its predecessors, but it's a well-made game and a solid platformer.

If it's one of the first Mario game a kid ever plays, it'll come away with a very good impression. If you're 30+ and it's your 37th Mario platformer (and the third NSMB in 4 years), you won't be quite so enamoured with it.

I've played all the NSMB games apart from 2, and I think it's brilliant, a considerable leap and the first which can be fiendishly tricky outside the final stages. Still, that isn't meant to disregard your post; it's meant (generally) for a different market, one which is less likely to care to buy the same kind of thing over and over, unlike FIFA / CoD fans. To that end, it is a bit superfluous.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Nintendo Land definitely is.

medium_TROLLIN.jpg

As a 29yo who has experienced the best and worst in the series, I'm jaded with these NSMB games, and really didn't 'feel' NSMB2 at all, but NSMBU is the best in the 'new' series easily. Nice surprises and levels in the single player (although nothing too omgwow about a lot of it), but it's fun and the real joy is in the challenge modes, boost mode and miiverse integration. I'm actually amused someone would call it shovelware - if this is shovelware so is 99% of other shit out there.

Shovelware as a term should be reserved for games that get cranked out in 9 months, get sequels with alarming regularity and next to no QA

The value proposition for me was a system I can play with the GF. And it works! Wiimotes are easy to understand, the gamepad is easy to understand. The GF is actually leveling up her gaming skills, we are going from Kirby Epic Yarn to NSMBU. I think that people will buy this thing once they experience it at friends houses, just like I did with the wii.

...But the Premium pack counted for 60% of the sales. XD

And most people that have played NintendoLand say its really good....

I dunno. Wii U will take off in time I think, it just really needs to have people who like the system spread the word since Nintendo is doing such a pitiful job doing it. It's a neat concept and the appeal is there I think, its just that one one knows anything about it. It's a lot like the Wii in the regard.

Regarding Japan, WiiU's lineup is definitely more attractive to their tastes, but I have to question if an old port of DQX and an old port of MH3G will really drive sales.

Assuming GTAV releases in March 2013, would PS4/720 launching with a port of GTAV and Black Ops 2 in December 2013 help drive sales in the US/EU? Not saying it hurts to have those games, but I'm not convinced they are system sellers as they are the same exact 6 month - 1 year old game with an HD sprinkle.

That's really, really low. I guess we'll found out pretty soon, if it's low because the launch shipments just wasn't much bigger or because there is a "lack of demand" ;)

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.

Ah, so you've changed the goalposts from launch to pretty much the first 6 months of the systems life (Starfox launched in October 1997, 7 months after launch), got it.

Well, in the next 6 months we have the Wonderful 101, Lego City Undercover, Pikmin 3 all Nintendo published or developed, and then Scribblenauts Unlimited, Rayman Legends, Monster Hunter all coming out before any unannounced stuff coming out.

Yes, I'd love a "Goldeneye" too, but capturing lightning in a bottle doesn't happen often. Still, you seem to have delusions that Nintendo actually want to fail because they aren't making games you like yet, which is quite hilarious, but carry on.

The problem isn't nintendoland. If anything it has proven to a much more popular and quality game than i ever would have thought. The problem is there isn't enough to go with it (especially compared to the huge libraries on 360/PS3) and they just haven't built any hype for the machine.

I think the transformation of Nintendo fans into Sony fans is almost complete...

This is a different situation to the vita. The vita hadn't been on the market for a week right before christmas when that comment was made about the vita. Not saying the wii U isn't doing bad but it's a different situation completely.

Whompa

Maybe they should advertise it like...a little? Besides 1 tv spot that I only saw through Neogaf I haven't seen anything.

40k is pretty low I'd think, especially for a launch.

Busty

Banned
If the Wii U fails, it'll fail on its own merit, and that's fine -- but I don't know how you can try and pretend the UK games market is fine when a major console manufacturer has shipped half as many consoles as it did for its predecessor in 2006, and you only need to sell 100 units of a game to chart....

There might be a 'problem' with the UK game market and it's sluggish sales but that doesn't mean that the WiiU didn't A) have too high a price and B) a general public that were/are apathetic towards it.

Again you're blaming the economy for a product not selling when other big ticket items (iPads etc) do sell. So it's not as if there isn't money out there. People just aren't spending it on WiiU's.

I really can't see how you can seriously argue this point when it's been suggested the 360 and PS3 outsold the WiiU this weekend.

mokeyjoe

When the Wii U gets its killer app the demand will increase. The DS was the same, it was struggling at least until Nintendogs arrived. The PSP was walking all over it, shops even had racks of UMD movies, lol.

The Wii was different because it launched with its killer app - Wii Sports. All Wii U needs is that game to come out and suddenly people will be falling over themselves asking what the hell do they need in order to play that game. Whether they do have that or don't, no-one knows. It's way to early to be calling this a failure.

Nickovic

Ah, so you've changed the goalposts from launch to pretty much the first 6 months of the systems life (Starfox launched in October 1997, 7 months after launch), got it.

Well, in the next 6 months we have the Wonderful 101, Lego City Undercover, Pikmin 3 all Nintendo published or developed, and then Scribblenauts Unlimited, Rayman Legends, Monster Hunter all coming out before any unannounced stuff coming out.

Yes, I'd love a "Goldeneye" too, but capturing lightning in a bottle doesn't happen often. Still, you seem to have delusions that Nintendo actually want to fail because they aren't making games you like yet, which is quite hilarious, but carry on.

He's like this in every Wii U thread, don't feed him.

Is it preposterous to judge the sales before chirstmas?

No. I think it's a great console, but it has been marketed pitifully and priced ridiculously. £200 for the basic w/ NintendoLand, £250 for the Premium featuring NL + ZombiU, CoD or FIFA, a competent advertising campaign and a proper allocation of units. Many branches of the major supermarkets completely absent any mention of a new Nintendo console AT CHRISTMAS?! Fucking ludicrous.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals

As positive as I want to stay with my tone, I have to be honest. None of those games is screaming, "buy me and a WiiU", to play them. Nor is anything currently announced (sorry Bayo2 fans).

Nintendo has not only put themselves in a bad spot from a SW standpoint, the tech seems to be a hindrance as well.

I'm not shocked that it sold decently but ultimately underwhelming. It really doesn't deserve to sell right at this time. If that sounds harsh, I could have worded it worse.

By comparison, the 360/PS3 seem like deals of a lifetime compared to WiiU. And that's even if you judge the last couple months of releases and not the breadth of offerings they offer over WiiU.

At this rate, Nintendo will desperately drop the price again before next gen starts on PS4/720 and that's incredibly disappointing. About the only thing Nintendo can bastion is their price advantage. When you consider the fact that they are more in line with current gen, it's rather disheartening.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
But Zombiu isn't the best example for an old person for example. Take an imaginary title where this situation may arise, as long as there are clear instructions on the TV like 'look down at gamepad' then it isn't an issue. Want to start applying to an older market? Get puzzles on that thing, Suduko, crosswords, the lot. Daily puzzles when you switch on your console

But then you're into tablet territory.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Haha, quite!

That said, it's an odd pack-in given its target market. I think it should have been in all consoles, with the Premium coming in ZombiU, CoD and FIFA branded flavours.

I've said it before but if Nintendo Land had online multiplayer...it would be the best MP experience on console...and it would be good not for a while but something people would go back to very frequently. Nintendo dropped the ball in my opinion by ignoring online...

I don't buy people's excuse that it's asymmetric gaming...there's no reason why you cannot have asymmetric gaming online...

Top Bottom