• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: Wii U sold around 40k units in opening weekend. attach rate > 2:1

Haunted

I've played all the NSMB games apart from 2, and I think it's brilliant, a considerable leap and the first which can be fiendishly tricky outside the final stages. Still, that isn't meant to disregard your post; it's meant (generally) for a different market, one which is less likely to care to buy the same kind of thing over and over, unlike FIFA / CoD fans. To that end, it is a bit superfluous.

As a 29yo who has experienced the best and worst in the series, I'm jaded with these NSMB games, and really didn't 'feel' NSMB2 at all, but NSMBU is the best in the 'new' series easily. Nice surprises and levels in the single player (although nothing too omgwow about a lot of it), but it's fun and the real joy is in the challenge modes, boost mode and miiverse integration. I'm actually amused someone would call it shovelware - if this is shovelware so is 99% of other shit out there.

Shovelware as a term should be reserved for games that get cranked out in 9 months, get sequels with alarming regularity and next to no QA
I'm only at the ice world, so not too far into it. I hear the last stages get pretty tough and interesting, so that's good.

There might be a 'problem' with the UK game market and it's sluggish sales but that doesn't mean that the WiiU didn't A) have too high a price and B) a general public that were/are apathetic towards it.

Again you're blaming the economy for a product not selling when other big ticket items (iPads etc) do sell. So it's not as if there isn't money out there. People just aren't spending it on WiiU's.

I really can't see how you can seriously argue this point when it's been suggested the 360 and PS3 outsold the WiiU this weekend.

Just to make it clear, that's one (large) retailer for Saturday and Sunday. It may or may not be indicative of what happened at other retailers. I've sent messages to other people as well, just waiting to hear back to see if they saw similar patterns.

DSXBoy

They are trying to invoke images of the Wii, which really was sold out. You could spot which shops had got new stock by the queue that formed outside them. I highly doubt that this will be the case for Wii U.

I was one of those queueing for Wii Consoles. I bought & sold dozens of consoles. My profit was hundreds of pounds. Even 2 years after launch it was still a sell out. I still play Wii Sports & Wii sports resort every week. I have no reason to buy Wii-U, no game interests me. Perhaps after the inevitable price drop, plus when they release a Proper F-Zero X game, Super Smash Brothers or an HD Wii-U sports game, then I might get it.

If a long term Nintendo fan such as myself is undecided on the Wii-U, casual gamers with limited funds and other options such as Smartphones and Tablets will avoid this console.

It's no sell-out, Nintendo have messed up the Wii-U launch big time.

Scum

No. I think it's a great console, but it has been marketed pitifully and priced ridiculously. £200 for the basic w/ NintendoLand, £250 for the Premium featuring NL + ZombiU, CoD or FIFA, a competent advertising campaign and a proper allocation of units. Many branches of the major supermarkets completely absent any mention of a new Nintendo console AT CHRISTMAS?! Fucking ludicrous.

It's 3DS-itis all over. Nintendo needs to sort out this particular muddled mess with the supermarkets, and soon.

Nickovic

I can't believe anyone can be defending these numbers, even the Vita did better then this. THE VITA.

I'm sure as shit not defending it, the numbers are horrible, for whatever reason. But it has been 4 fucking days, give it time before it's pronounced dead.

After all, we all know it is the sales that make me enjoy playing it more.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I can't believe anyone can be defending these numbers, even the Vita did better then this. THE VITA.

We could coin a new phrase for such paltry sale weeks. We could dub it...........................................................................................................The Wiita!

Wiita means life?!

Yeah, the market for lemons just isn't there after pancake day.

Hey, you took my comparison from weeks ago!

I compared it to buying a lemon and was talking to SteamGAF and broke it down like I did in a post here. I'm not mad though!

I've said it before but if Nintendo Land had online multiplayer...it would be the best MP experience on console...and it would be good not for a while but something people would go back to very frequently. Nintendo dropped the ball in my opinion by ignoring online...

I don't buy people's excuse that it's asymmetric gaming...there's no reason why you cannot have asymmetric gaming online...

True, but I think having a game with the Basic was more important still. As it is, you're at £300 with one title given the current pricing scheme, which is just nuts.

Sales ranking for titles. I've seen the volumes and the bottom 5 titles sold in microscopic numbers

1. Nintendo Land (Nintendo)
2. New Super Mario Bros U (Nintendo)
3. Zombi U (Ubisoft)
4. Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed (Sega)
5. Batman: Arkham City – Armoured Edition (Warner Bros)
6. Call of Duty: Black Ops II (Activision)
7. Sports Connection (Ubisoft)
8. Assassin’s Creed III (Ubisoft)
9. Just Dance 4 (Ubisoft)
10. Tekken Tag Tournament 2 (Namco Bandai)
11. Rabbids Land (Ubisoft)
12. Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two (Disney)
13. Tank! Tank! Tank! (Namco Bandai)
14. FIFA 13 (EA)
15. Darksiders II (THQ)
16. Family Party: 30 Games Obstacle Arcade (Namco Bandai)
17. Mass Effect 3 (EA)
18. Ben 10: Omniverse (Namco Bandai)
19. Skylanders Giants (Activision)
20. Game Party Champions (Warner Bros)

Because reviews and general opinion from owners of the title reflects that, right?

because reviews tell you how to feel about a game? what do i care that everyone here likes nintendoland? nintendoland is a minigame collection and it's junk for that, just like wiisports was.
seriously, what's so hard to understand? you like nintendoland, other people don't like it and don't even find the idea remotely appealing.

In my town, we have two Tescos, the newer one is pretty big, I went there on Saturday night to see how much Halo 4 and Ass Creed 3 WiiU were. Went up stairs and was presented by a Book of Spells and PS3 display, no Wii U stuff, went to games section, just above the Wii Games in the chart was Nintendo Land, NSMBU, Tekken and a few others, it's as if they thought they went with the Wii games, no sign of Wii U console or accessories.

It's a clear sign the marketing for this console has been a complete shambles. I am actually enjoying the console itself and the games but I wouldn't consider myself one of these "Nintendo hardcore fans" that seem to be the ONLY people who have bought it right? I bought it because I had some spare cash, I enjoy gaming and I know it will have several games I want to play at some point. It was like an early christmas present for myself, it won't replace the Xbox 360 for me in terms of online gaming but I think multi platform games might give me a hard choice now, I want AC3 for WiiU because of off-tv play.

Oh and Blockbuster is exactly the same as Tescos, forgot to say, still angry about their crappy customer service. But yeah went in store and they had about 4 WiiU games all chucked in with the Wii games, no mention of console.

moggio

Banned

Yes and we know now that the Vita couldn't sustain those numbers.

Nintendo could sell 40 000 Wii Us consistently every month for the next 5 years.

Sales may rise; sales may fall.

Hard to know since it's only been out a few days.

winstano

If they're accurate figures then holy crap. 400 copies of Black Ops 2.

Four. Hundred.

Considering this was supposed to be a big deal, that all of "the other games" were coming to Wii U, that's... Yeah, that's bad.

It's 3DS-itis all over. Nintendo needs to sort out this particular muddled mess with the supermarkets, and soon.

While I'm at it, I'll mention the adverts themselves. Where are the recognisable faces enjoying NL? Instead, it's these awful creations ostensibly trying to appeal to 'gamers' while showing Mario, NL and stuff that's already out on the other consoles. Risible. The tone is akin to the GameCube launch.

Tenki

The NSMBU community on Miiverse has >90k members, so I guess at least 90k units have been sold. On the UK there're like 20-25k, right?

Four. Hundred.

Considering this was supposed to be a big deal, that all of "the other games" were coming to Wii U, that's... Yeah, that's bad.

Totally incorrect figures. More than 2000 Blops 2 on Wii U

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
because reviews tell you how to feel about a game? what do i care that everyone here likes nintendoland? nintendoland is a minigame collection and it's junk for that, just like wiisports was.
seriously, what's so hard to understand? you like nintendoland, other people don't like it and don't even find the idea remotely appealing.

There is a HUGE difference between saying you don't like something and calling something shovelware. "I don't like Bayonetta, therefore it's shovelware", does that sound like a rational comment to make?

Shovelware - Software that is hastily made, without proper testing, and 'shoveled' down consumers throats in order to make some quick cash.

Reviews and general opinion show that this not case. Many people are even considering buying a WiiU for NintendoLand just because of their hands-on time with friends and/or families WiiUs (going by the GAF thread). Something like Carnival Games is more fitting to be called shovelware.

Scum

Four. Hundred.

The unfortunate thing for Nintendo is that MS has a lockdown on any marketing associated with CoD. People will be picking it up for Xbox360 if anything.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
As positive as I want to stay with my tone, I have to be honest. None of those games is screaming, "buy me and a WiiU", to play them. Nor is anything currently announced (sorry Bayo2 fans).

Nintendo has not only put themselves in a bad spot from a SW standpoint, the tech seems to be a hindrance as well.

I'm not shocked that it sold decently but ultimately underwhelming. It really doesn't deserve to sell right at this time. If that sounds harsh, I could have worded it worse.

By comparison, the 360/PS3 seem like deals of a lifetime compared to WiiU. And that's even if you judge the last couple months of releases and not the breadth of offerings they offer over WiiU.

At this rate, Nintendo will desperately drop the price again before next gen starts on PS4/720 and that's incredibly disappointing. About the only thing Nintendo can bastion is their price advantage. When you consider the fact that they are more in line with current gen, it's rather disheartening.
If I'm honest, I think Nintendo are in a tough spot. The console is too expensive, it is lacking in announced software going forward and doesn't have a Wii Sports sort of game that will get the casual wanting the system.

This is a repeat of the 3DS, and once software comes out, and again, a significant price drop, it'll sell. The difference is that while Vita has been cruelly ignored, despite being miles more powerful than 3DS, gamers and developers are more likely to embrace the successors to 360/PS3. Wii U could be left without a niche very quickly. It all depends on what the other platform holders do, as Sony isn't exactly in a good way, and Microsoft could easily be lazy for the next Xbox.

Still, unlike the N64, at least Wii U has Japan, and that's probably going to be its key market. If they capture that, and Japanese dev support, at least we will see some interesting games coming along, hopefully.

This thread is going places!

I see a lot of confirmation bias in both directions, but that's par for the course when a new system launches.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

Four. Hundred.

The BO2 percentage refers to the amount of copies sold by the game itself, not to Wii U's hardware sales. Actually...

EDIT: Weyland already covered it. :D

Averon

Nintendo may spend their precious 1 year head start trying to save the Wii U from irrelevance than building build a user base, brand recognition, third party support etc...

The unfortunate thing for Nintendo is start MS has a lockdown on any marketing associated with CoD. People will be picking it up for Xbox360 if anything.

Somewhat similar situation with ACIII, where most of the marketing didn't even mention the Wii U version, perhaps because of the later release. If I didn't follow gaming news closely, I doubt I'd even have known there was a Wii U version before launch day.

Somewhat similar situation with ACIII, where most of the marketing didn't even mention the Wii U version, perhaps because of the later release. If I didn't follow gaming news closely, I doubt I'd even have known there was a Wii U version before launch day.

If i didn't follow gaming news i wouldn't have even known the wii U was launching pretty much. Outside of a few posters at dedicated gaming stores there has been nothing.

winstano

The BO2 percentage refers to the amount of copies sold by the game itself, not to Wii U's hardware sales. Actually...

EDIT: Weyland already covered it. :D

Fair enough, I was just looking at that AC3 estimate of 1300 or so copies and it looked like they'd used the same maths as I had...

Edit: I'm an idiot. Misunderstood your quote, makes perfect sense now. Of the X copies they have of Blops2 out there, 1% are on Wii U. Gotcha!

I'm only at the ice world, so not too far into it. I hear the last stages get pretty tough and interesting, so that's good.

Semi spoiler for what's coming up ahead of you:
there's a surprise after Wendy's castle, really cool little interjection -- and the woods have some really lovely looking levels

Do I have you added on Miiverse yet?

Scum

Nintendo may spend their precious 1 year head start saving the Wii U from irrelevance than building build a user base, brand recognition, etc...

Irrelevance? That's a bit harsh, mate. I think Nintendo can get this shit sorted out as soon as. They can start, like I mentioned before, by getting the supermarkets clued in. Get them to sort out that muddled mess in their games' sections.

I bet the GameCube sold more in 3 days. Damn.

Can't see how Nintendo is going to manage to sell 4.5 million by April on this kind of performance.
Really needed a few more exclusives at launch, Lego Undercover looked pretty much finished from the videos I've seen.
I think the launch line up is really strong. I don't think more exclusives would have helped... if anything it would have crowded it. Most people are probably buying one or two games only.

m.i.s.

Banned
Then don't make a console based around a tablet then!

Talking of which, here's what Matt Martin, editor, GamesIndustry.Biz said -

"Something that shouldn't be underestimated is the Wii made it easy to understand video games again. No complicated button controls, you just swung the Wiimote and your man on screen hit a ball with a tennis racquet. The Wii U complicates things again. There's two screens you need to be aware of, some games can be played just on the tablet itself, some can't. There's control sticks and buttons, you need the Wii mote and nunchuck still and there's a proper games controller as well. That could be too overwhelming for consumers who have come to understand that with a tablet like the iPad, you just prod the screen and cool things happen."

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
If I'm honest, I think Nintendo are in a tough spot. The console is too expensive, it is lacking in announced software going forward and doesn't have a Wii Sports sort of game that will get the casual wanting the system.

This is a repeat of the 3DS, and once software comes out, and again, a significant price drop, it'll sell. The difference is that while Vita has been cruelly ignored, despite being miles more powerful than 3DS, gamers and developers are more likely to embrace the successors to 360/PS3. Wii U could be left without a niche very quickly. It all depends on what the other platform holders do, as Sony isn't exactly in a good way, and Microsoft could easily be lazy for the next Xbox.

Still, unlike the N64, at least Wii U has Japan, and that's probably going to be its key market. If they capture that, and Japanese dev support, at least we will see some interesting games coming along, hopefully.

I know it possibly won't do worse but I see it as another Gamecube right now. Even in Japan. At least with the GC, they competed in terms of HW prowess. WiiU is gimped to hell and I wouldn't be surprised to see things not look so good and Nintendo introduce new HW sooner due to this. I fell like it's hard to even commit to Nintendo since they basically abandoned ship on the "winner" of the current gen in Wii. I have never seen a worse winner in a console generation. I would hate to see that repeat itself.

Irrelevance? That's a bit harsh, mate. I think Nintendo can get this shit sorted out as soon as. They can start, like I mentioned before, by getting the supermarkets clued in. Get them to sort out that muddled mess in their games' sections.

It's not the fault of the supermarkets. Instead of calling the system the Wii 2, Nintendo lined retailers up for a world of confusion by calling it the Wii U and giving it a very similar physical appearance. Nintendo has to hire people and get them into stores to train people, they have to shoulder the burden for the idiot situation they have created. I don't see them doing it. Nintendo can't ask retailers to fix a mess that they created themselves, they won't do it.

Bruno MB

Sales ranking for titles. I've seen the volumes and the bottom 5 titles sold in microscopic numbers

1. Nintendo Land (Nintendo) - 25,709
2. New Super Mario Bros U (Nintendo)
3. Zombi U (Ubisoft)
4. Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed (Sega)
5. Batman: Arkham City – Armoured Edition (Warner Bros)
6. Call of Duty: Black Ops II (Activision) - 2,000
7. Sports Connection (Ubisoft)
8. Assassin’s Creed III (Ubisoft)
9. Just Dance 4 (Ubisoft)
10. Tekken Tag Tournament 2 (Namco Bandai)
11. Rabbids Land (Ubisoft)
12. Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two (Disney)
13. Tank! Tank! Tank! (Namco Bandai)
14. FIFA 13 (EA)
15. Darksiders II (THQ)
16. Family Party: 30 Games Obstacle Arcade (Namco Bandai)
17. Mass Effect 3 (EA)
18. Ben 10: Omniverse (Namco Bandai)
19. Skylanders Giants (Activision)
20. Game Party Champions (Warner Bros)

Thanks.

Even Tank! Tank! Tank! has sold more than the two EA games lol

Top Bottom