• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaowebb

LOL
I went upstairs to see if I got any match requests and played around in player matches online to run random sets with folks during the wait. No GAF-ers showed up, but this guy LivEviLife13 shows up and Has a Dante/Sentinel/Akuma team and he's running jam sessions,drones, and Tatsus all day fishing for hammers.

I decide after one round that I would stop playing around with rushdown and go full force fucking troll team and see how HE liked trying to get inside for once. I've played all of vanilla with dudes like Haggar, and Ryu and I wanted someone else to feel it for once.

In comes Storm(whirlwind)/MODOK (jamming bomb)/Sent (drooooones)

Almost perfect him in round 1 with combinations of Whirlwind+drones and Whirlwind+Jamming Bomb (lol no jumping). After that he starts popping lvl 1 x-factors and goes crazy in the other rounds throwing all his tactics out the fucking window and just tries to ride tatsus inside with Dante. Lol ...doesn't work. Not with whirlwinds and occasionally switching in MODOK to slap out barriers on him to roadblock that shit. I eventually get missile chipped out by xfactor sent and lose storm and he discovers that MODOK is my most practiced troller. I mix up his barrier with blasters, different range cubes, and jamming bombs (he never noticed some were blue lol) and cover that shit with drones. He got inside a few times only to land on a cube and start riding MODOK bouncy combos into blaster spam. Pure chaos out there and I kept mixing it up for shits while completely refusing to chase him lol.

He rage quit and I put him on friend request and preferred player. ^________^

Its been awhile since I got someone salty online. I've off and on-ed with both Storm and MODOK before and Sent is on my main team. Together its salty as hell and even inside there combos are fun.

I think I may try some more trolling in week 1 with RR Log and some other stuff with maybe MODOK again to see if I cant rack up some mail in the opening week. Is this what it feels like to be you Q?

Dahbomb said:
Removal of TODs? This isn't Tron exclusive you know. :D

Yeah but Tron has always been a character that struggles to open up people but has guaranteed TODs when she does open up people as her saving grace. Removing her TODs is like removing Cammy's TKCS in AE, without it she's going to struggle badly unless you give her huge buffs. So far I am not seeing her buffs as being enough to make up for what she's losing.

Dahbomb

Yeah but Tron has always been a character that struggles to open up people but has guaranteed TODs when she does open up people as her saving grace. Removing her TODs is like removing Cammy's TKCS in AE, without it she's going to struggle badly unless you give her huge buffs. So far I am not seeing her buffs as being enough to make up for what she's losing.
James Chen is that you?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Dahbomb said:
James Chen is that you?
I wouldn't be surprised if he complains about Felicia's Rolling Buckler nerf. He's the most endearing dork in the scene, but the guy needs to look on the bright side of things once in a while.

Dahbomb

Nah man I enjoy JChen's antics and commentary, even if he is wrong a lot (which can't be helped I guess when you are commentating more than playing).

shaowebb

SolarPowered said:
I've got the biggest shit eating grin on face after reading that haha.

Me too, Solar. Me too. All those months back when I was trying to find a way to sneak in Jamming bomb stuff into combos taught me a decent bit about what works with MODOK. It really mindfucks people to run into one that doesn't screw up on blocks or protecting his feet with analyze cubes thats been spamming all game. If they survive the failed inside attempt they don't know what to do from there on out against him once he looks dangerous at any distance. LOL

Plus Drones+MODOK in play doing his thing is always hilarious. Any random whirlwind pushes that occur infuriate them to death after thinking they figured out when to jump or teleport LOL. Hope to see more of this in Ultimate from people with all the zoning game buffs.

On this same train of thought I got blown the hell up by this guy playing Jean on point/Dormammu/Morrigan.

He was running blackholes and homing spam keep away with Jean and was tight on his teleports for his mixups and knew when to go for high lows with her and those things to get some sick combos out of her. Sent drones+Chun li chase down is a little much for her to survive on point after awhile but this guys Dorm was God like. He'd get me in the air and with Morrigan running dark harmonizer meter build he would pillar Salty ball me forever.

I think I saw GOD once as high as he kept me in the air a few times doing that. Fucking God like character reads from him the way he used Jean and Dorm. Almost any jump was predicted into Pillar and I think he was throwing things just to force that. His Jean was just tricky as hell...such good stuff. I hope to see him in Ultimate. His keep away and control over his opponents options was Godly.

Enk

makes good threads.
Can't wait for this. I liked MvC3, but there were a lot of problems with it that kept me from enjoying it as much as I wanted to. UMvC3 is looking like it has cleaned up a lot of that stuff and seems to be a more balanced (yet still insane) fighter.

My UMvC3 team so far:

1- Half naked bearded guy
2- The flying red thing
3- The oversized ghoul

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Dahbomb said:
It's not just about the swords it's about the teleports too as well as the utility lock down hypers. :D

Pixie characters generally out perform heavies in the VS games.

Which tell you that the way they balance heavies doesnt work well.

shaowebb

HK-47 said:
Which tell you that the way they balance heavies doesnt work well.

Give a heavy a cancel into a counter special and watch the world shatter. Could you imagine gamma tornado as a counter you could cancel into? *shudder*

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
shaowebb said:
Give a heavy a cancel into a counter special and watch the world shatter. Could you imagine gamma tornado as a counter you could cancel into? *shudder*

It would be nice to have an MvC2 Sentinel, a big character that can actually be top tier on point.

HK-47 said:
It would be nice to have an MvC2 Sentinel, a big character that can actually be top tier on point.

I had a team with sent drones on point, haggar lariat, and dante jam session anchor that placed consistently high in tournaments early in the game. Sometimes I would put haggar as anchor, but more often than not I liked having a lvl. 3 xfc dante for suckout factor. Usually if I had two bars, i'd do a combo with sent that had 2 supers, but if i used 3 bars I'd dhc all the way to dante and then still have a disgusting lineup with haggar and sent assists.

Sent + Jam was great enough as is for zoning + mixups, and then I had haggar for whenever they came in close. Usually 2 mixups was all I needed for a kill, and getting past those 2 assists in and of itself was a bitch so I could play a very solid keepaway game. Usually running into one of those assists meant you're fucked, as running a 50/50 reset with sent is piss easy after a hard drive. If there was no dhc glitch or Phoenix, it would be a top tier team in my eyes.

Alas, I switched to storm point, wolves AA, and sent drones. Much easier + instant TOD's. I think the team might have been more effective with wesker instead of wolves, as he gives storm a much needed OTG, but I didn't want to bother learning a new character, regardless of difficulty level.

shaowebb

HK-47 said:

As many teleporters, summoners, and general mixup oriented tricks that exist in UMVC3 for assists I don't think that'd be very possible to do. Big hitboxes and slowness generally equates to severe downsides in matches in this game. They'd have to be fast, loaded with projectile protective tools, and would need the ability to lock you down longenough to go into high lows for combos. Failing that kind of normal MVC2 style abilities meant to make a heavy viable you might pull it off if a big guy ever got a homing projectile or teleport. Those two tools are the hardest to keep from being hit by and the easiest to create openings with.

Homing bazooka shot that travels as fast as Jean shots?

You should see my writeups for the heavy I hope to make someday in the game industry. Sucker has projectile barrier in the form of a table and if he jump air throws you into it on your attempt to get over its an extra 100K damage and causes a hard knockdown state. If nothing else its a rushdown/projectile nerf tool that forces people to go inside on a grappler. Scary as hell concept I got for this guy. I hope I get to make him...if so he'd be the first non-dumbass wrestler in a fighter that actually shows charisma. Modeled him after Hogan, Machoman, Steiner, The Rock, and Billy Graham. Also a black character thats not a damned stereotype that manages to have a personality. How bout that...he can be a fully fledged personality without having to be a stereotype based on his ethnicity.

I also wrote him up as having lots of counter specials since it makes no sense that grapplers tend to simply act as heavy slow guys with no counters even if they get grappler supers. Guess he'd be like Abel+MODOK+Haggar

*wishes there were some non-boxing, and non stereotypical black characters to play as in fighters*

shaowebb

FindMyFarms said:
Well there's that basketball guy in kof
swsdvb.jpg

Road

Does anyone have that string of tweets from Justin turning around on MVC3? Should be in the blow ups.

Edit: Found it googling.

justinwongmvc3grief-6in7vo.jpg

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Road said:
Does anyone have that string of tweets from Justin turning around on MVC3? Should be in the blow ups.
Oh man, that reminds me... I made this quick edit to some SRKer's image back then. Reuploading:

qqjustin.png

EDIT: Oh man, remember all those people freaking out over 100% combos... that cost 4 meters and X-factor? So good.

Dahbomb

That image should be reversed now.

Sentinel goes to ask Capcom for more buffs "please sir can I have some more?" Capcom is like "LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL...... NO!"

Bizazedo

Argh missed the lobby. Argh, hype overflowing.

Just argh in general :(.

Frantic, when do you play? Or anyone, usually :(.

h3ro

Cap / ______ / Nova

Help me fill the spot, GAF! I'm not very good nor do I have great execution, I just really like those characters. I usually ran Skrull/Sent/Akuma in Vanilla.

Any suggestions?

vg260

Road said:

Edit: Found it googling.

justinwongmvc3grief-6in7vo.jpg

Also, some "Deal with it" posts before and after the Sentinel health patch would be funny. That was so good.

rukland

Friend invite sent out to some people for PS3 GAF Chat. I hope to be on today we will see what toddler will let me do.

h3ro said:
Cap / ______ / Nova

Help me fill the spot, GAF! I'm not very good nor do I have great execution, I just really like those characters. I usually ran Skrull/Sent/Akuma in Vanilla.

Any suggestions?

I think Cap/Nova/Sentinel should work well, Cap was terrifying with the drones in vanilla MvC3 while Nova is a flier and all fliers work well with drones.

ZeroCDR

sephi22 said:
Ghost Rider/Nemesis/Dormammu

Team Day 1 "5 wins in a row" trophy
Come at me PSN ranked scrubs

Hahaha, just reminds me that day one of every fighting game I get this horrible obsession to knock out the online win streak trophy. Thank goodness it's still a 5 streak, I cry at the 10 streak games because I usually top out around 8 wins before I get owned.

Except day one SSF4, nobody knew how to fight T. Hawk and I got a 10 streak real quick lol

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
DrAg0nBoY said:
I will try with Wesker/Dante/Vergil and when I will fail with that I will have to make a real team :D.

Why would you fail with that? It's an amazing team.

PikaZeroX said:
Hahaha, just reminds me that day one of every fighting game I get this horrible obsession to knock out the online win streak trophy. Thank goodness it's still a 5 streak, I cry at the 10 streak games because I usually top out around 8 wins before I get owned.

Except day one SSF4, nobody knew how to fight T. Hawk and I got a 10 streak real quick lol

I do that too. I think it might be a little harder in Ultimate, though, since I feel it'll mostly be people that know how to play that pick it up. I don't think I'll have too much trouble (I have a 20+ win streak going in vanilla right now), but for some reason there's a weird intimidation factor to a ranked win streak achievement.

DrAg0nBoY

Well I will see what can be done with this team, when the game comes out. I think the lack of a beam assist character could be a problem.

Need to sit down, when the game comes out and see what can be done with that team.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
DrAg0nBoY said:
Well I will see what can be done with this team, when the game comes out. I think the lack of a beam assist character could be a problem.

Need to sit down, when the game comes out and see what can be done with that team.

Yeah, a beam character's always better for approach, but there's no denying the synergy of that team. What I mean to say is, you're not going to get blown up with a team like that solely because of the team composition. I guess it all depends on what you mean by "fail".

Dante and Wesker already work very well together. Vergil's Rapid Slash assist looks like it would complement the others as well. On paper they work very well together.

Ken

Does the MahvelGAF tag on the 360 have a good amount of new players? I'm a beginner to MvC3 and wouldn't mind playing people around the same skill level.

h3ro

scytheavatar said:
I think Cap/Nova/Sentinel should work well, Cap was terrifying with the drones in vanilla MvC3 while Nova is a flier and all fliers work well with drones.

Yeah, I was thinking of sticking with Sent. That L Rocket Punch into HSF nerf hurts my novice-game a lot though. Anyone else have any recommendations?

Also, Enzo, I'm right there with you when it comes to online Marvel. I have no issue getting blown up in SFIV or even Gears, but something about Marvel just made me stay completely away from the online component and stick with just hanging out in Training mode and messing with team color combinations :lol.

I didn't play a single online match in Vanilla. :S

Desi Mahvel-GAF fears online blowups :/

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Sir Garbageman said:
Been out of the loop for a while, is She-Hulk as badly nerfed as was originally suspected?

We'll have to see. She's simply less effective now overall. Her tools have been neutered. I don't think she's garbage like others seem to, but she's going to have a harder time getting in and doing extended combos that are worth it.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
h3ro said:
Yeah, I was thinking of sticking with Sent. That L Rocket Punch into HSF nerf hurts my novice-game a lot though. Anyone else have any
Rocket punch into ball still works. If you are midscreen just dash up before doing the rocket punch.

ZeroCDR

GuardianE said:
I do that too. I think it might be a little harder in Ultimate, though, since I feel it'll mostly be people that know how to play that pick it up. I don't think I'll have too much trouble (I have a 20+ win streak going in vanilla right now), but for some reason there's a weird intimidation factor to a ranked win streak achievement.

Agreed. I think this time around I may just exercise self control and stay in training mode for awhile, and then when I feel ready I'll go for the rank-up trophies. I got 5-streaks all the time in my epic adventure to fight a 1st lord in vanilla, and you need streaks to rank up anyway.

My farewell to Vanilla Magneto combo:
jS, 2HS, jH adf jH xx Magnetic Blast L, land, jMMH adf jMH, land, jH adf jMH, land, H xx Hyper Grav L, 2HS, jMMH adf HS, Assist 1(Low Shot), Hyper Grav L, H xx Estaka H xx Gravity Squeeze, H xx Hyper Grav L, H, Estaka H, Assist 2(Doom Beam), Magnetic Tempest

Meter required: ~2 bars
Damage: All of it

Now it's on to Ultimate, where I'll be focusing on THC properties and power up hypers ^_^

GuardianE said:
We'll have to see. She's simply less effective now overall. Her tools have been neutered. I don't think she's garbage like others seem to, but she's going to have a harder time getting in and doing extended combos that are worth it.

Crap. I'm a noob but catching people with She-Hulk's resets in the corner was so awesome. Might need to come up a new partner or two for Tasky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom