• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra David feels Street Fighter 5 needs an entire re-release

sajj316

The game is in a very good state now if these are all you want out of it.

Yes. Certainly is from all the material I've read up since release. It's far improved from release state. As read from your other posts, a World Tour mode goes a long way. Imagine a challenge mode concept in these fighting games were the goal is to say .. hit these two combo combinations in a round and earn a new costume or something like that. Custom stages. Custom tournaments. etc.

Yes. Certainly is from all the material I've read up since release. It's far improved from release state. As read from your other posts, a World Tour mode goes a long way. Imagine a challenge mode concept in these fighting games were the goal is to say .. hit these two combo combinations in a round and earn a new costume or something like that. Custom stages. Custom tournaments. etc.

It would be easy to weave challenges into the World Tour mode itself, too. In SFA3, there were certain conditions at times to be able to do damage or win the round. You could have something like "Hit 5 anti-airs" for example, as the win condition for a fight in World Tour mode, and it would function as both a tutorial to get the player to focus on important elements of fighting games, and a different spin on the normal gameplay.

Dabanton

Re release, so Capcom can waste more money? the casual audience for this game is long gone and aren't coming back.

Capcom thought the FGC was more important than everyone else so here we are. Looks like Marvel v Capcom infinite has learned from that mistake. Or rather Marvel has leaned on them hard as to what they expect.

Kashiwaba

It would be easy to weave challenges into the World Tour mode itself, too. In SFA3, there were certain conditions at times to be able to do damage or win the round. You could have something like "Hit 5 anti-airs" for example, as the win condition for a fight in World Tour mode, and it would function as both a tutorial to get the player to focus on important elements of fighting games, and a different spin on the normal gameplay.

I'm hoping the mysterious extra battle mode is something like that.

krazen

I think making the game easier etc is barking up the wrong tree. MK isnt any easier then SF at the pro level, but they have CONTENT CONTENT CONTENT.

They need to look towards what MK did and what they used to do themselves with Alpha 3's home release.

The game was even unplayable for weeks online! How does that satisfy the hardcore fan base? Or the laughable idea on the boards that casuals would hop back in 6 months later after the story mode where we are in an era where AAA highly rated games are struggling to pull sales because there's so much competition.

After season 2 id revamp the singleplayer completely...borrow assets from story mode, make it a crazy world warrior scenario where you can grind for new colors, make cheesy but fun character variations as mini-bosses (Evil Birdie), maybe even a half assed tekken side scroller for a few levels and re-release.

The core of the game is great, but an gaming engine isnt a fun video game, lol. Come on Capcom, you couldnt even play with your friends online for the first few weeks; how do you have a worse launch then vanilla SF4?

Kashiwaba

Re release, so Capcom can waste more money? the casual audience for this game is long gone and aren't coming back.

Capcom thought the FGC was more important than everyone else so here we are. Looks like Marvel v Capcom infinite has learned from that mistake. Or rather Marvel has leaned on them hard as to what they expect.

What Capcom needs to do is make MvC:i more casual friendly more single player contents and more street fighter characters (to keep SF franchise relevant among the casuals and advertise their main FGC game).

sajj316

Give it to me now. This is the kind of stuff that interests me the most. Challenges serve as great tutorials. Obviously could thrown in some fun challenges as well. Tie that into a World Tour, sure .. yes.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty

Basically how Quest mode worked in VF4EVO. I can easily lose a whole day to that mode still... Good single player that rewards playing correctly is tremendously valuable.

I'm hoping the mysterious extra battle mode is something like that.

I actually forgot all about that. If Extra Battle mode doesn't provide a sense of progression to casual players, they might as well scrap it and work the ideas from it into a mode that does.

Right now it seems like everything they're adding has the mindset of "Please do this thing once for some Fight Money!" rather than feeling like something worth the player investing significant time into. And those things are fine, but it's not the kind of stuff that's going to hook casuals.

Malice215

SFV needing a re-release is what the majority of people have been saying throughout the year and in every thread discussing SFV.

What's interesting is Capcom moving on to selling more DLC and another season pass while selling MVCI on its single player focus to get it off on the right foot. You could bring people back with some additional content and adding some fan favorites to SFV, but it looks like Capcom decided to go in a different direction.

Nephtes

Nah just by design. I can't stand watching the gameplay in KI lol

I feel like you missed the important part of my commentary...
Which was that Capcom are asshats for breaking Ibuki by removing all the things that have made Ibuki, Ibuki, since 1997... Neck breaker, triple spin kicks, etc.

And until they fix that in a re-release, I am not buying anything SFV related (and neither should anyone else).

One thing is for positive... playing as Ibuki is no longer fun.

Kashiwaba

I feel like you missed the important part of my commentary...
Which was that Capcom are asshats for breaking Ibuki by removing all the things that have made Ibuki, Ibuki, since 1997... Neck breaker, triple spin kicks, etc.

And until they fix that in a re-release, I am not buying anything SFV related (and neither should anyone else).

No one cares about ibuki plus she is supposed to be younger and less experienced here i guess.

Kashiwaba

I actually forgot all about that. If Extra Battle mode doesn't provide a sense of progression to casual players, they might as well scrap it and work the ideas from it into a mode that does.

Right now it seems like everything they're adding has the mindset of "Please do this thing once for some Fight Money!" rather than feeling like something worth the player investing significant time into. And those things are fine, but it's not the kind of stuff that's going to hook casuals.

What they are doing now is good to keep the hardcore players (i guess the ones who are not casual yet they are not pro) to come back to the game at least once a week to do the challenges and play few games online but it's not getting the casuals back.

Why is that? Why wont people give it a second chance if it corrected everything that was wrong with it?

It's very hard for a certain product to be deemed a second chance by many consumers. This goes for everything, including console reveals.

Once you've revealed a bad product with your first impression (with horrible marketing/advertising), they run with it. Average consumers couldn't care less if a product has improved later.

Gestault

It bugs me how clear it seems that the problems they've run into are due to limited budget and a rushed production schedule in light of that.

Nephtes

It's very hard for a certain product to be deemed a second chance by many consumers. This goes for everything, including console reveals.

Once you've revealed a bad product (with horrible marketing/advertising), they run with it. Average consumers couldn't care less if a product has improved later.

Titanfall 2 managed to get me on board after their Godawful beta test through positive word of mouth... And actually fixing most of the problems I and others were complaining about and actively telling the community they heard them and were fixing the problems...

By contrast I haven't heard Capcom mention anything about fixing SFV's biggest problem... The lack of Ibuki's traditional move set going back to 1997.

At one point I was jealous that Sony was getting SF5 (I am an Xbox owner) since I love Street Fighter. But as time has gone on my jealousy has faded. Killer Instinct to me is the far superior fighting game this gen. (Not that I want Street Fighter to do bad because I really want it to succeed).

What they are doing now is good to keep the hardcore players (i guess the ones who are not casual yet they are not pro) to come back to the game at least once a week to do the challenges and play few games online but it's not getting the casuals back.

Yeah, the challenges are basically useless for casual players. They're either weird riddles involving things in the stages, reward a player for just going into a mode, or they require online matches. Casual players aren't going to want to get beat up online just so they can get 100 Fight Money for using a V-Skill 10 times or whatever.

SFV needing a re-release is what the majority of people have been saying throughout the year and in every thread discussing SFV.

What's interesting is Capcom moving on to selling more DLC and another season pass while selling MVCI on its single player focus to get it off on the right foot. You could bring people back with some additional content and adding some fan favorites to SFV, but it looks like Capcom decided to go in a different direction.

Or Capcom wants to use the classic characters to help sell the rerelease iteration when its ready to be launched, and instead will use the cast of new characters they developed to keep the game afloat while they're developing the 'Super' iteration.

What sounds better - "Here is Super SFV featuring a cast of 5 brand new characters!"

or

"Here is Super SFV. When it launches, there is a cast of 5 classic returning characters you've been asking for!"

When they said that this season featured 5 brand new characters, it came across pretty clearly to me that they are saving the fan requested characters for a special occasion.

The game required more, and the gameplay was actually quite good, but it wasn't able to retain an audience. Like you said, you stopped playing it waiting for more - more of what? the gameplay should be able to just hold you in itself. Several games, particularly on PC of all places, launch barebones & grow out from there. LoL launched with a single gameplay mode, tiny cast of characters (relative to its current roster & its competition when it first opened its beta), and featured a portal that didn't really work, but its gameplay was able to retain an audience, and that game didn't even have a 'training room' - you just had to play the game competitively.

The core game-play was indeed good, but the game was very limited. As I noted before, the game had only 6 characters (only one of which appealed to me, personally), which meant that you were very limited in what characters you could play as and against. Furthermore, as I noted the game only had one stage, which you became intimately familiar with in both VS and in training mode. Additionally, the the game never had an interesting aesthetic to begin with and the planned cosmetics system (which was to fund the game, long term) never made it into the alpha. And while the developers had begun to add alternative moves to the game, allowing you to tailor your move-list as you saw fit, the game lacked the infrastructure to allow you to do so after you knew who your opponent were playing, forcing you to choose conservatively rather than by utility. And, importantly, since the game only had online, ranked VS, you could not play "casual" matches with people you actually knew, online or offline. So I could not play with the small online community I was hanging out with at the time, unlike every other game we were playing. So I decided to wait, to wait for more characters, more stages, cosmetics, better match infrastructure, and support for lobbies. Much like SFV, the problem was not the game-play, but everything around it.

You also mention LoL, but I doubt that LoL was quite as limited as RT when it first appeared. For one thing, LoL was actually released, unlike Rising Thunder which never left alpha! You also mention the that LoL initially had a "tiny cast of characters (relative to its current roster", which seems a bit disingenuous, considering that this "tiny" cast spanned some 40 characters as far as I can tell. That's not "tiny", even if they added many more later, and it is certainly much more than the 6 characters Rising Thunder launched with. Not to mention that LoL was built off the back of a game that had already established a niche within RTS games, while Rising Thunder was trying to create a new niche within fighting games. They are not really comparable at that stage.

So yes, Rising Thunder did fail at both capturing a larger, more casual audience, or retaining the audience it did appeal to. Maybe that isn't rejection, but it certainly wasn't successful.
That is an odd conclusion, considering that the game was never even released, and was never widely marketed outside of the FGC. And it was not shut down because of any failure on the part of the game nor on part of the developers, but because Riot seemingly saw enough potential in that formula to acquire the company.

Boke1879

I hope he doesn't mean the gameplay when referring to the casual audience. Isn't already more accessible to casuals gameplay wise?

The game definitely should have had more modes to appeal to that base though.

That said I think SFV will no doubt get a re-released Super version with all current DLC and new characters at a discounted price of like $40

vulva

The skill should be WHEN to use moves not IF you can use the moves. Imagine if you had to press a button combo to move a chess piece and if you failed it didn't move. Chess is about positioning and when to do the next move. Moving the piece should not be the difficult part.

https://www.patreon.com/sirlin
Pay 5 bucks, play this garbage and see how awful the game you're saying you want would be. If you think fighting games and chess are direct analogs then you deserve this piece of garbage Sirlin (genius behind Chess 2!!!!!!) is making.

Pay 5 bucks, play this garbage and see how awful the game you're saying you want would be. If you think fighting games and chess are direct analogs then you deserve this piece of garbage Sirlin (genius behind Chess 2!!!!!!) is making.

They should get themselves a copy of BattleCON: Devastation of Indines.
It's a board game, so it does away with all execution requirements, it's easy to learn, and it is actually a lot of fun:
t3DGQpD.jpg

Yeah, agreed.

To follow on what you're saying, fighting games are analogous with Chess, but they're also analogous to, well, actual fighting...

Martial arts take a lot of practice to physically and mentally master, fighting games are analogous to that. Sure, you can't throw hadokens in real life, but the spirit is very similar.

Street Fighter 2's inputs also more often than not mimicked the movement of the character's animations for the move, dragon punches being a notable exception.

I understand that there's a place for more simplistic fighting games, but to say there's something actually wrong with a "fighting" game requiring mastery of special move inputs is like saying that videogames having elements of simulation in their design at all is an inherently bad thing. All FPS's should only have auto-aim, platformers should never let you miss a jump, etc.

I think we can all agree that Capcom should package Puzzle Fighter with every SF. Give more reason for fans to keep the disc inside their ps4.

Do it Capcom.

At this point, I would say halfway through or at the end of Season 2, rerelease the game with both seasons and Arcade Mode if it ever releases, and if possible maybe an art/lighting change like KI and KOF have done via updates just to give it a bit more shine and press.

Hopefully before the Summer so it doesn't take too much shine away from MvCI.

Malice215

Or Capcom wants to use the classic characters to help sell the rerelease iteration when its ready to be launched, and instead will use the cast of new characters they developed to keep the game afloat while they're developing the 'Super' iteration.

What sounds better - "Here is Super SFV featuring a cast of 5 brand new characters!"

or

"Here is Super SFV. When it launches, there is a cast of 5 classic returning characters you've been asking for!"

When they said that this season featured 5 brand new characters, it came across pretty clearly to me that they are saving the fan requested characters for a special occasion.

What sounds better is Capcom trying to win back fans now by fixing these long standing issues along with bringing back characters that people care about to go along with the hype for Akuma. Why save them for a rainy day or even further down the road?

Capcom needs to turn things around now while people are still interested. Not later when there's less people to sell to. The more DLC that comes out for SFV, the less reason there is to repackage it in a re-release since they can continue to milk the hardcore crowd with sexy DLC and additional characters.

At this point, it looks like they're just going to continue on with their service model for SFV and win casuals over with Marvel which has alot of hype going for it. Otherwise they'd try to win casuals back by releasing more established characters instead of creating entirely new ones that people have no attachment to for starters.

The lack of single player options was clearly a big oversight, and Capcom will certainly not alienate the casual crowd with the next installment. They can't afford to do that twice. I don't think this series is dead at all, but the sales results are a huge step down from SFIV.

With that said, I barely touch the single player at all in Smash Bros 3DS and other online enabled fighters. It is better to have those options than nothing, but the core fighting mechanics are at the heart of what makes a game good.

I think SFV roster is a very acceptable size, and it is more balanced than most. It's not perfect, but it is actually somewhat preferable to other fighters. Opinions will vary on this subject, but having more stuff isn't inherently better.

SFV is not perfect in the mechanics, netcode, and character balance, but it is damn good as a game. I don't even have a system to play the game on, but I regularly tune into the FGC events. I would choose to invest my time into SFV over any other current fighting game right now.

I don't feel its worth re-releasing SFV. When you look at the sales for SF X Tekken, SFIV Arcade Edition, Super SF IV, they range in the 1-2 million and this is on PS3 and Xbox with huge install base. There's probably a few hundred thousand who baulked at SFV. it would mostly be the same old people re-buying it. Just update it and those keen might pick up a cheap copy. 1.4m just on PS4 is about where its at.

I suppose its a way to help get more money for the game if they re-release it.

Might be best to give it some time and come back with SFVI, fix Ken, get some exotic stages in,and improve the look, create more of a departure from IV. I'd like a more moody looking Ryu/Ken and a decent last boss character in Arcade mode please.

That Cammy stage in SFV is truly awful and creatively bankrupt. Many of the stages are bland and forgettable. Would love to see Cammy at some military base with a few heavies watching done with classic Japanese flare.

LaNaranja

Stop charging obscene amounts of money for each individual "premium" costume and give me the option to buy them all bundled for a reasonable amount of money (it is more expensive to buy all the costumes than it is to buy the base game, why the fuck is that?). Stop putting motherfucking pallet swaps behind a pay wall. Make all the stages available from the jump or at the very least fix the fight money economy because a casual player like me is never going to unlock shit with the amount of in game currency everything costs.

Street Fighter 5 is severely broken and in dire need of a "Super" rerelease that gets rid of the bullshit.

Renekton

Street Fighter 5 is severely broken and in dire need of a "Super" rerelease that gets rid of the bullshit.
Re-release is just a lazy unimaginative solution, because it is the easiest concept to grasp by armchair analysts regardless of actual effectiveness.

Mik317

a rerelease doesn't solve anything.

any actual solution could be done as is.

Add arcade mode (its coming), add more characters (yep), and fix the actual QOL problems. Boom SFV suddenly has less talking points on why it is the worst thing ever.

All of that can be done with patches, without wasting money on re-advertising things, confusing idiots (lol Cacpom releasing yet another revision hurr durrr), and muddying the waters further. At the end of the day, the damage is done...some people will NEVER come back in terms of SFV (some never were interested in the first place)...that sucks but you made your bed in that sense. Looks like the lesson was learned with marvel (which ironically may end up still alienating people by "dumbing" it down for the casuals) but with SFV, it is what it is.

what I suspect they are going to do, is continue to fix what is there instead of chasing an audience you already pissed off. DLC sales must be doing quite well. The infamous CPT also seems to be rather successful if the pot bonus is to be believed. So while I am sure Capcom expected and wanted more, SFV can exist off of a lot less expensive maneuvers like recommended in this thread.. ...and the other 80,000 ones. Fix the small things that you can, THEN go for the gusto if possible.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Yeah that'd be neat an add to the single player experience. .hack//Versus had like 3 different optional conditions ta fulfill per battle, which unlocked things, that had me going back to try and complete! No reason SF couldn't do the same.

Plus mini-games.

I wanna beatup a car again!

Top Bottom