• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra David feels Street Fighter 5 needs an entire re-release

Don't think that'd be a good idea if you're trying to cater to people's insecurities. Sure a partner may carry your team to victory, but before that *everyone* will get to see you get bopped front & center. At least in most other games your team mates can only see how bad you really are when you're in their peripheral vision, or they themselves have died & are waiting to respawn.

I just meant some kinda mode to cater to this somehow.

However i dont think the online component is ever something that will attract a huge casual audience. 1v1 high skill hardly screams casual.

Its best to let the offline and local stuff do that.

While SF4 and MK sold a lot better did they have a higher online playerbase?

synce

Yeah I was surprised they haven't mentioned a Super SF5 yet, especially considering season 2 will be all new characters. At this point there's no saving the original game.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
How are you even supposed to make a 1 v 1 skill based game appeal to casuals?

Put in a lot of fun and compelling single player content. Like the PS version of Alpha 3, but for the modern day. Or how recent Mortal Kombat games have reportedly done it.

Why would a casual need frame data to do a combo?

back in the day (Super Turbo/ KOF98) hardcore players never took into account frame data, in a numerical format at least, and the developers weren't too keen to share any of it at all.

Besides those numbers don't mean anything on their own, if you're going to show them you might aswell display when something is safe or not and the hurt/hit boxes etc. too. It would cut down laborious testing time.

Gartooth

The core gameplay is my favorite of any Street Fighter so I would gladly buy it again if they could fix the mess of the surrounding game.

Just so disappointed in what happened to this game as a casual fan. I uninstalled this and didn't look back after Capcom's rootkit debacle.

ScOULaris

Where SFV mainly went wrong had nothing to do with casuals. They botched even the very basics of a modern fighting game release (awful interface, long wait times for online matches, disconnects, rage quitting issues, ridiculous character selection method... etc.). All of these issues affect hardcore and casual players alike.

The other missing stuff is just shameful as well, but those are the most glaring flaws in my eyes. They all add up to make playing SFV a pretty miserable experience.

The game was just not a full-fledged release like its predecessors. It was half-baked and rushed, and they've been very slow to address even the game's biggest issues. It's a wrap, as far as I'm concerned. And that's coming from a longtime fan of the series who has attended and competed in tournaments.

Csr

Perhaps it would be a better idea to fix all the problems first (battle lounge, one sided lag, 2 player vs options, direct input on pc...) try to get as much goodwill and consumer trust back as possible with various ways like free stages and fm events and later do a relaunch with a couple of sp modes for season 3.

If the game relaunched next month nothing would change, things have improved but there is still a lot of bad word of mouth for the game.

bubumiao

I thought they added arcade mode already? Haven't played yet, but I have the game waiting to be opened on Christmas.

I feel bad this game isn't more popular, but Capcom did it to themselves with they way they've presented it thus far.

I'm glad King of Fighters is getting more and more hype.

The fgc isn't casual friendly and I don't think it ever has been, but Capcom needs to do more to attract new players.

At least if Maximilian is correct Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite is being developed in house so it should be good... right?

I don't think we'll see Capcom make Street Fighter V super or put some bullshit moniker on it, but who knows? Street Fighter VI won't be til PlayStation 5 at the earliest.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I think there is a misconception about the arcade mode out there. They planned to add a lot of stuff over the year and pretty much all of it is in there now BUT they never planned an arcade mode. They simply didn't think people wanted one. So this isn't really a broken promise and more being stupid. It should be coming very soon, though.

And I don't know about KOF, I feel like I barely hear anything about that game...

ShinAmano

Always thought they should have stayed on schedule and not limited to one platform, but that Sony money rushed everything and it suffered.

Gren

I think it at least gives you a fun way to team up and learn the ropes from a friend or two who know the game better.

Right now you just get the living hell beaten out of you by said friends, and from experience, a lot of people don't want to come back after a few of those. You can do some intentional training, not fight back normally, but people don't seem to enjoy that, either.

I don't think a KoF-style team system would be bad. A smart scaling system with handicaps based on skill level for each player, as well, perhaps?

Whatever helps people play the game for real, learn it, but also win even if they got carried. People like to win. They don't want to win next month, they want to win today. They can do that starting out in a lot of other hardcore games, but not SF.

1v1 would always be the goal but this would be a way more fun way to come to grips with the concept of fighting games, and you get to play more often than waiting for your turn in a packed battle lounge.
I could see this working if two teams of 3 are paired up & all play their matches simultaneously, with the winning team determined by the final tally.

Everyone gets in a quick round (less waiting), someone who loses can still get a sense of accomplishment should their team win (more so if they tie in some sort of XP carrot system), and even if others know you lost, they'll never know how bad it was unless they check the replay.

But I think a game would have to push such a mode to its forefront if it wanted to attract enough players to make up full teams.

New002

Always thought they should have stayed on schedule and not limited to one platform, but that Sony money rushed everything and it suffered.

So was Capcom actually on some schedule to hit a certain date and Sony offered them funds/support so they could launch sooner and as an exclusive? Or was the game dead in the water without additional funds/support so Capcom approached Sony?

I thought it was the latter so legit would like to know if that's not how it went down.

ShinAmano

So was Capcom actually on some schedule to hit a certain date and Sony offered them funds/support so they could launch sooner and as an exclusive? Or was the game dead in the water without additional funds/support so Capcom approached Sony?

I thought it was the latter so legit would like to know if that's not how it went down.
I remember reading that they were on a 2018ish schedule and then Sony fronted loot to get it done way quicker.

Westlo

While SF4 and MK sold a lot better did they have a higher online playerbase?

In australia sfiv online for each seperate platform shits over sfv online.

New update? Wouldnt get past the character versus screen compared to waiting 3 to 5 mins for a fight.

Oh and lobbies were region locked and plentiful. Trying to stumble on a sfv aussie lobby is near impossible

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
agreed this doesnt game does cater to casuals at all.

Look at the challenges.

This is how it looks as default. They dont even show the commands and motions for these moves. You have to change it manually in options to display them. Not everyone knows what a DEJIN RENKI is..

what do you mean I have to go in the menus and change it to button commands? This is not acceptable by any means.

Boke1879

I remember reading that they were on a 2018ish schedule and then Sony fronted loot to get it done way quicker.

It would have been better if they launched it at a more reasonable price. They could have launched at $30 with the promise of those games modes to come for free. Then make up whatever costs with their DLC

Everything I've heard is:
- The casual crowd isn't super happy with the game because of a lack of meaningful single player content (better story mode/arcade mode)
- The competitive crowd isn't super happy with the game because of comparatively cruddy netcode (KI and MK have shored theirs up nicely) and long waits to actually get fighting.

A re-launch that managed to address both of those things would be good, especially if it was timed with breath of fresh air characters. MKXL restored a lot of people's faith in Netherrealm because of improved netcode, first and foremost, and the additional characters in KP2, even if many were eye rolling guest characters who needed balancing, brought people back to find out the netcode had been improved. It gave people hope for the future, including their next game, Injustice 2.

Jer

Nah, none of that is necessary. Casuals aren't interested in learning how to play. Tutorials aren't going to help make games sell more.

How in depth is Smash's tutorial? MKX's? Injustice? Meanshile stuff like VF, Skullgirls, every ASW game includes pretty much what everybody is asking for and sells jack next to these games.

They need to make you feel cool while you play and have tons and tons of modes that allow you to do so without hopping online to get bodied by somebody who actually cares about learning how to play the game.

This is spot on, imo. Tutorials are a nice bonus, and likely help a little with converting a few casual players to tournament players, but the idea of them being important is based on the thought that casual players have some serious desire to get better. Most casual players don't care at all about the game's system, have no interest in getting competitive, and just want to mess around with fun single player modes.

All you really need to do to make a game casual friendly is to have a bunch of single player modes that are fun without requiring any time investment. Tekken 3, Soul Calibur 2, Tekken 5, MK9, are all great at this, they're just loaded with content, and people can enjoy them without having to learn the game at any deep level. That's why I'm so surprised when developers miss by so much here - the formula to get casuals to like fighting games is pretty well established, and certainly seems to correlate to sales.

It's also why I think it's pointless for developers to make changes to the fighting system solely to make a game more accessible. Casuals aren't going to care, or even notice, because no amount of accessibility tweaks will make any difference in terms of the massive disparity you're always going to see between people who really learn the game and those that don't. It's a total waste of time that would be much better spent developing another ball mode or create a soul.

This is spot on, imo. Tutorials are a nice bonus, and likely help a little with converting a few casual players to tournament players, but the idea of them being important is based on the thought that casual players have some serious desire to get better. Most casual players don't care at all about the game's system, have no interest in getting competitive, and just want to mess around with fun single player modes.

All you really need to do to make a game casual friendly is to have a bunch of single player modes that are fun without requiring any time investment. Tekken 3, Soul Calibur 2, Tekken 5, MK9, are all great at this, they're just loaded with content, and people can enjoy them without having to learn the game at any deep level. That's why I'm so surprised when developers miss by so much here - the formula to get casuals to like fighting games is pretty well established, and certainly seems to correlate to sales.

It's also why I think it's pointless for developers to make changes to the fighting system solely to make a game more accessible. Casuals aren't going to care, or even notice, because no amount of accessibility tweaks will make any difference in terms of the massive disparity you're always going to see between people who really learn the game and those that don't. It's a total waste of time that would be much better spent developing another ball mode or create a soul.

I agree with all of this

meerak

Incoming defence of SFV...

It would be good for perception, and that's really the only thing wrong with this game.

Such a staggering work of beauty - the funnest fighting game I've played in a lifetime of fighting games - and all nearly for nought just because the meat on the bone didn't weigh enough to people who would usually drop it quickly anyways...

Such a sad state of affairs. Gang up mentality is so extreme these days it's exhausting. NMS is the other side of this shit. Between SFV and NMS you had two games who ABSOLUTELY could have and should have launched better, both shat on to such extremes its become cartoonish and doesn't represent reality at all.

People keep saying this shit - and Ultra David included (and as a fan of his I think he should be slightly ashamed) - that "SFV is a great fighting game engine" but the content isn't there.

Fuck you. In fact, SUPER FUCK YOU.

"great fighting game engine" isn't easy, isn't common, and is worth far, far more than content. I've played fighting games since VF first blew my mind and content has always been beyond secondary. A good fighting game engine is EVERYTHING. So, so depressing how opinion has come up around this. It's all volume, volume, volume. I'm reminded of this Santa Clause cartoon, something about kids "wanting more than ever before" but not giving a damn shit about anything they are asking for. They just want STUFF, and lots of it.

I couldn't stand SFIV at launch - like many, many others, if you need to be reminded - but overtime I came to enjoy watching it (though never playing it).

I don't think anti-SFV feelings are much stronger than SFIV feelings (and definitely not nearly as strong as I remember people hating SFIII originally) but the internet is just so goddamn loud today and the biggest problem is that old images don't go away.

Just listen to Jeff and Jason, who haven't touched SF since launch, talking about it like it's still February. Thanks guys. It's not like thousands of sheep just mime the words that come out of your mouths..

Rant over!

tribal24

Banned

It would be good for perception, and that's really the only thing wrong with this game.

Such a staggering work of beauty - the funnest fighting game I've played in a lifetime of fighting games - and all nearly for nought just because the meat on the bone didn't weigh enough to people who would usually drop it quickly anyways...

Such a sad state of affairs. Gang up mentality is so extreme these days it's exhausting. NMS is the other side of this shit. Between SFV and NMS you had two games who ABSOLUTELY could have and should have launched better, both shat on to such extremes its become cartoonish and doesn't represent reality at all.

People keep saying this shit - and Ultra David included (and as a fan of his I think he should be slightly ashamed) - that "SFV is a great fighting game engine" but the content isn't there.

"great fighting game engine" isn't easy, isn't common, and is worth far, far more than content. I've played fighting games since VF first blew my mind and content has always been beyond secondary. A good fighting game engine is EVERYTHING. So, so depressing how opinion has come up around this. It's all volume, volume, volume. I'm reminded of this Santa Clause cartoon, something about kids "wanting more than ever before" but not giving a damn shit about anything they are asking for. They just want STUFF, and lots of it.

I couldn't stand SFIV at launch - like many, many others, if you need to be reminded - but overtime I came to enjoy watching it (though never playing it).

I don't think anti-SFV feelings are much stronger than SFIV feelings (and definitely not nearly as strong as I remember people hating SFIII originally) but the internet is just so goddamn loud today and the biggest problem is that old images don't go away.

Just listen to Jeff and Jason, who haven't touched SF since launch, talking about it like it's still February. Thanks guys. It's not like thousands of sheep just mime the words that come out of your mouths..

Rant over!

Damn right on. I couldn't stand SFIV when it released either. Your so right about all of it

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty

Rant over!
man, believe me i know what its like to absolutely love a game that gets ignored (or worse, gets shade), you can't let it get to you. just keep showing up to events, keep helping people who want to learn, and keep playing. ive been down the road of trying to convince naysayers to have an open mind, it leads nowhere.

Anth0ny

I don't give a fuuuuuuuuuuuck about extra single player content or any of that shit

I find SFV boring to play and watch. Boring compared to its predecessors, boring compared to Marvel and Smash... so I just can't bring myself to care about it that much. But I seem to be in the super minority here.

Street Fighter IV was so hype right until the very end. I could have kept watching Ultra for years and years. Now V is out, and I just can't find myself gettting excited to watch it.

Anne

Considering that I talk to some of the top players and keep up with the rumblings, I can tell you straight up the game is not universally considered good as just a game either dude. Even the most diehard SFV players I talk to have a lot of negative shit to say and are really banking on S2 fixing up a lot of it.

Like it is straight up baffling to sit with people who are almost universally good promoters of the game and have them say, "This is straight up garbage" and then come around GAF and see people praise the gameplay.

Considering that I talk to some of the top players and keep up with the rumblings, I can tell you straight up the game is not universally considered good as just a game either dude. Even the most diehard SFV players I talk to have a lot of negative shit to say and are really banking on S2 fixing up a lot of it.

Like it is straight up baffling to sit with people who are almost universally good promoters of the game and have them say, "This is straight up garbage" and then come around GAF and see people praise the gameplay.

I don't think it's too baffling that some people have different opinions of things.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I don't give a fuuuuuuuuuuuck about extra single player content or any of that shit

I find SFV boring to play and watch. Boring compared to its predecessors, boring compared to Marvel and Smash... so I just can't bring myself to care about it that much. But I seem to be in the super minority here.

Street Fighter IV was so hype right until the very end. I could have kept watching Ultra for years and years. Now V is out, and I just can't find myself gettting excited to watch it.

I think it's fun to play

Shadoken

They were going to, but backed out on the idea.

yEDqA0X.jpg

No mistaking that game for SF4...

This looks so fking good. Fk Capcom and Ono for going back to their goofball design crap.

Fewr

I would like them to have incorporated a tutorial into the story itself, and to make the story mode more ambitious, long, and interesting.
This.

I liked the adventure mode of soul calibur 2. I liked how it taught me how to play and it was really fun to do different situations and unlock things along the way.

I'm no expert in fighting games at all btw.

Skilletor

Why is it confusing to you that people have different opinions? Surely you realize that people in a position to win money for tournaments might look at a game different from people who just want to go up in rank, or do battle lounges, or people that want to do casual matches, etc.

This is my favorite SF since alpha 2. I probably agree with a lot of the gameplay complaints, but since I'm just playing casual, not grinding it out and practicing for hours on end or playing thousands of matches, I don't care as much as others might.

No game is considered universally good.

Gren

Different strokes and all, but I thought those designs looked awful when paired with that visual style. Makes Final Fight Streetwise designs look bright & upbeat by comparison.

I've always wondered what it would be like if a fighting game made special moves easy to perform but added cooldown timers to them?

That way it might be more about positioning and reading the opponent instead of mechanical execution...

Art of Fighting Series.

Garlador

Well then it would look too much like Tekken.

I mean Tekken is beautiful af, but it's just not SF if too hyper-real.

Well, Street Fighter was always a tad more realistic than some other fighters during its time.

Though I'm biased. The stuff I grew up with was fairly realistic compared to many other games.

And then, of course, there's my unadulterated love for the animated movie...

Street Fighter became more cartoonish over time, and that's not inherently a bad thing.

But we've come a long way from this:

to the style SFIV introduced with this:

Anne

Why is it confusing to you that people have different opinions? Surely you realize that people in a position to win money for tournaments might look at a game different from people who just want to go up in rank, or do battle lounges, or people that want to do casual matches, etc.

This is my favorite SF since alpha 2. I probably agree with a lot of the gameplay complaints, but since I'm just playing casual, not grinding it out and practicing for hours on end or playing thousands of matches, I don't care as much as others might.

No game is considered universally good.

It's one thing to have a different opinion, it's another to have an opinion that is based on gameplay near universally panned by the core players. I live near an arcade that has always supported SF on all levels of casual and tournament. When SFV came out, we had 20+ people in there a night trying to play. Now we're lucky if 2 people show up to play it. It has happened to more venues than just mine. When I go to major events, I have not had a single person just say "this is a really good version of Street Fighter." The common consensus is "it's at least playable and is getting support so what else am I gonna do?"

It's a very real thing that happened. Excusing Capcom (and especially Dimps) on fucking this up for year one is not something I'm very interested in doing. What has actually happened is those huge criticisms leveled at them are being taken to heart. Shit I didn't think would get changed like latency and base systems got changed. Neat! I'm still not going to just call it a good game on year one though. It's a playable game that desperately needs some patches to keep going. If Capcom can pull this out and make a good game I'll be happy and impressed. I'll be extra happy if the influence from the community helped make it happen. But I'm not going to just let "oh different opinions" rock when the views on the gameplay from a large part of the core community were extremely critical.

Skilletor

It's one thing to have a different opinion, it's another to have an opinion that is based on gameplay near universally panned by the core players. I live near an arcade that has always supported SF on all levels of casual and tournament. When SFV came out, we had 20+ people in there a night trying to play. Now we're lucky if 2 people show up to play it. It has happened to more venues than just mine. When I go to major events, I have not had a single person just say "this is a really good version of Street Fighter." The common consensus is "it's at least playable and is getting support so what else am I gonna do?"

It's a very real thing that happened. Excusing Capcom (and especially Dimps) on fucking this up for year one is not something I'm very interested in doing. What has actually happened is those huge criticisms leveled at them are being taken to heart. Shit I didn't think would get changed like latency and base systems got changed. Neat! I'm still not going to just call it a good game on year one though. It's a playable game that desperately needs some patches to keep going. If Capcom can pull this out and make a good game I'll be happy and impressed. I'll be extra happy if the influence from the community helped make it happen. But I'm not going to just let "oh different opinions" rock when the views on the gameplay from a large part of the core community were extremely critical.

...okay.

Kashiwaba

🙄

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Appealing to casuals huh? Its pretty simple. One super bar. No EXs. No V whatevers. No FADCs. Just straight up SFIi style gameplay. Tons of characters. Tons of modes. Great netcode.

Keep the gameplay as simple as possible. That was SF's hook.

Skilletor

Appealing to casuals huh? Its pretty simple. One super bar. No EXs. No V whatevers. No FADCs. Just straight up SFIi style gameplay. Tons of characters. Tons of modes. Great netcode.

Keep the gameplay as simple as possible. That was SF's hook.

And yet MKX is popular with meter, ex moves, xrays, environmental actions, combo breakers, three different variations, etc.

Casuals want to look cool and do cool shit with lots of single player stuff in which to do it. Simple gameplay isn't necessary.

Anne

You know this is nonsense right?

You can say it is, but I mean when a bunch of people heavily criticize something with valid points I tend to at least believe there's something to that. If you have fun with it by all means, you can have fun. But to sit here and say "it's a perception issue and the gameplay is great" while all this has happened is kind of also nonsense.

You can tell me you enjoy playing Second Impact or the first Alpha game or whatever other nonsense and say the gameplay is good. That can be your opinion. I can also call out your opinion as going against a lot of very real criticisms and being not a common consensus.

Top Bottom