• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers |OT| Retro Salt At Twice The Price!

Oh and the Pro Controller Dpad once agains shows what an utter piece of shit it is. The game is unplayable with it. Even though I got a replacement it's still shit. Random up/down inputs all over the place. Dpad of Joy-Cons won't do the trick for me either so currently I'm doing best with analog sticks. Though none of them feels 100% satisfying in any way which is a shame.

The art gallery is ace and yet I have to try those buddy fights.

oh I know them feels man. I was genuinely surprised how trash the Pro-Controller Dpad is for things other than menus and some sidescrollers :(

mrk8885

Banned
No interest in the 8Bitdo pads?

I love the 8bitdo controllers and definitely recommend trying them out. I'm sure they're not for everyone, but I've been using the snes versions for a couple of years , and I now have the nes pros I got yesterday. Worked great with SF2.

I just have a funny feeling Nintendo is gonna system update those out. :/

Jazzem

No interest in the 8Bitdo pads?

I really wouldn't recommend it based off my experience with one sadly, lots of unintended crouching and jumping.

Thankfully I'm getting on pretty well with both the pro dpad and the joycon buttons, the latter of which being an immensely pleasant surprise! Only motion I find tricky on it is Guile's super combo, but that one is pain no matter what the control method :p

mrk8885

Banned
I really wouldn't recommend it based off my experience with one sadly, lots of unintended crouching and jumping.

Thankfully I'm getting on pretty well with both the pro dpad and the joycon buttons, the latter of which being an immensely pleasant surprise! Only motion I find tricky on it is Guile's super combo, but that one is pain no matter what the control method :p

How old are your 8bitdos? I've heard that was a problem in the past, but I have yet to encounter that. Weird. But obviously many have brought up that issue. Of course, unwanted up presses seem to be a pro controller issue as well.

Jazzem

How old are your 8bitdos? I've heard that was a problem in the past, but I have yet to encounter that. Weird. But obviously many have brought up that issue. Of course, unwanted up presses seem to be a pro controller issue as well.

Bought it after the announcement of Switch compatibility last week alas. Whether it was an older one they had in stock or not though I'm not sure. Even then though...between that, various connection issues and it causing my Switch to lock up with an error message at one point, I can't recommend it sadly.

I've luckily been alright with my Pro dpad, not sure if that's down to varying manufacturing standards. Frankly, for how much they charge for it the dpad should be the best on any controller to date :/

Am I crazy or does this version have no button config?

Nah it does, I forget what the option's called but it's there in the main menu options and the pause menu. Important for me as I'm a weirdo in wanting weak attacks on the shoulders and mid-strong on the face buttons!

Slightly related; I desperately wish the visuals/sound option was on the pause menu or even possible via a button prompt, Wonder Boy 3r really spoiled me in that regard.

tsab

Hypothetically if the Switch supported Wii's Classic Controller (pro).

Would you recommend it or 8bitdo?

Fiendcode

Nah it does, I forget what the option's called but it's there in the main menu options and the pause menu. Important for me as I'm a weirdo in wanting weak attacks on the shoulders and mid-strong on the face buttons!

Slightly related; I desperately wish the visuals/sound option was on the pause menu or even possible via a button prompt, Wonder Boy 3r really spoiled me in that regard.
Okay found it, whew! It was under controller settings but I had to switch to Lite which was confusing (I assumed that was EO mode before). Like you I need Fierce mapped to the face buttons.

Been playing this solidly since Friday, have not touched injustice 2 since but:

-The online is not great, definitely not ggpo
-The retro graphics mode looks awful, needs a filter and scanlines

Not much activity online, or on twitch, YouTube, everything about this game online relates to the price

Joycons are pretty serviceable, pro controller dpad is good but not great

I seem to get thrown all the damn time online, seems squiffy

TrojanAg

I think the classic graphics look completely fine and I've never been a fan of slapping a filter on top of them. I'm more of a purist when it comes to that and just want the game to look as it should.

RAIDEN1

They missed a BIG opportunity with this one, just like Midway did with the Mortal Kombat Kollection, Capcom could have released HD-versions of Streetfighter 0-3, (including Streetfighter 1!) that would have justified the price...

f@luS

More than a member.
I think the classic graphics look completely fine and I've never been a fan of slapping a filter on top of them. I'm more of a purist when it comes to that and just want the game to look as it should.
It looks fine handheld. But on tv yikes

RedFox85

I spent about an hour with the art books in this game last night. Those books are so expensive, this really is a feature more of us should care about as the assets are extremely high res and in many cases you can appreciate them even more than you could in the books. It's cool that capcom was able to include all of the original assets instead of just scanning books, stuff needs to be ripped and preserved imo. One thing I noticed while going through this stuff was that part of the reason I struggle to get into modern street fighter is that it's so damn awful visually. It's weird because.. it both is and isn't awful if that makes any sense? The graphics of 5 for example are beautiful on a technical level but when I look at something like third strike I just find myself wishing for a new 2d entry.

I was playing a bit of the story mode on 5 yesterday (wow...) and I just kept cracking up at the characters, basketball boobs and meatball looking dudes everywhere, it's just not a great look (don't even get me started on banana hair ken) and sadly I doubt we will ever see a true return to form, this is the way going forward. I have had a good time with this release for sure, I know the price is a huge stopping block for some but this IS a good port of the game with some good balance changes + one or two cool new features (tech throws and color edit are awesome!) for 30$ it would be a no brainer and for myself that was basically the cost I paid with prime pre order.

On the 8bitdo controllers, I picked up the SFC30 (snes style) and it arrived day one with the game. I have read complaints from people in this thread regarding these controllers but I have had 0 issues with mine. The d-pad might even be better than the pro controller fwiw as I had heard maximillian dood complain about doing dragon punches on that controller and I am able to fire those off endlessly back to back on the 8bitdo without a single miss. I too would consider myself a stick player (SFIV TE) but I'm having no problem on this pad. I do find it hilarious how many people who are good at street fighter can't be good at the game on a controller though, I have been dominating in ranked but I know as soon as stick support is in I am going to have trouble, y'all spoiled hardcore and need them specialty controllers for sure lol.

HyperHip

Slowly climbing up rank with my Chun (C+), and got in a really nice Hawk vs Cammy set this morning in casual mode. Basically having a blast, hopefully this game doesn't completely die online before the sticks drop.

RedFox85

Slowly climbing up rank with my Chun (C+), and got in a really nice Hawk vs Cammy set this morning in casual mode. Basically having a blast, hopefully this game doesn't completely die online before the sticks drop.

Be wary of casual mode man they allow the use of 1 button supers, complete shenanigans in there!

RedFox85

I have the USB adapter as well. I had zero lag for the ARMS test punch as well. It must have been the other player's connection I guess

Been considering a USB Ethernet adapter, which one did you buy? I am getting 34/8 over wifi which doesn't seem bad imo but I have noticed nobody has a full signal connection online usually only half.

mollipen

Sorry if this has already been brought up, but has anyone had a problem where random stage selection always goes to the same place? If I pick random in Ranked matches, all I ever get is Russia.

Seik

Banned
So yeah I've been playing Ranked all afternoon and its overall pretty solid.

I faced a ton of Evil Ryu and V. Ken and beat most of their asses with my Sagat. :lol

The art collection is awesome too, spent a good while checking it with a friend.

oh I know them feels man. I was genuinely surprised how trash the Pro-Controller Dpad is for things other than menus and some sidescrollers ;(

I've heard this said but I was just playing galaxy fight and waku waku 7 with it and never noticed an issue.

I also went into the settings and did the rapid tapping of a direction and left/right motions and everything displayed just as expected.

Are you guys tapping the direction on the pad and lifting your finger when not pressing a button, or sliding your finger around the pad keeping it pressed down lightly all the time?

I think the pro controller dpad was made for tapping not sliding, but it works for sliding fireball motions too.

ksamedi

Having a blast with online matches as well but where it realt shines is the local multiplyer aspect for me. The joycons work surprisingly well and I even play single joycon online. The controls are very responsive.

Now that I played it a bunch, Im going to tey out some other characters besides Ken. Im digging fei long. Any good pro tips for him? Seems kind of a weak character compared to Ken.

blitz64

Sorry if this has already been brought up, but has anyone had a problem where random stage selection always goes to the same place? If I pick random in Ranked matches, all I ever get is Russia.

I get the same stage but not sure what that stage is.
I stopped using random.

//ARCANUM

Need some advice here. I can pull off raging demon (akuma and evil ryu's super) all day long, 10x in a row on a stick. But I can't for the life of me pull it off even 2x in a row on any control solution I've tried on switch.

I've tried:

- Pro controller d-pad
- Pro controller joystick
- Joycon d-pad
- Joycon joystick

And I tried it on 2 different pro controllers as well in case one was malfunctioning.

Nothing I do will pull this off accurately. I try in training mode with input display on and check and I'm sure enough hitting the right inputs over and over, but it's only pulling it off maybe 2/10 times at best on any control solution.

Any advice on how I can adjust my style since I'm not planning on buying a $150 stick just for the Switch (and that isn't even an option to purchase currently).

Need some advice here. I can pull off raging demon (akuma and evil ryu's super) all day long, 10x in a row on a stick. But I can't for the life of me pull it off even 2x in a row on any control solution I've tried on switch.

I've tried:

- Pro controller d-pad
- Joycon d-pad
- Joycon joystick

And I tried it on 2 different pro controllers as well in case one was malfunctioning.

Nothing I do will pull this off accurately. I try in training mode with input display on and check and I'm sure enough hitting the right inputs over and over, but it's only pulling it off maybe 2/10 times at best on any control solution.

Any advice on how I can adjust my style since I'm not planning on buying a $150 stick just for the Switch (and that isn't even an option to purchase currently).

Maybe it's being deliberately obfuscated even when you do it correctly, kinda like how SF1 doesn't just do your special moves every time you do the correct inputs? To help even out Akuma's power level maybe? (Heck, he is banned in all tournaments AFAIK on proper Super SF2T).

I've heard this said but I was just playing galaxy fight and waku waku 7 with it and never noticed an issue.

I also went into the settings and did the rapid tapping of a direction and left/right motions and everything displayed just as expected.

Are you guys tapping the direction on the pad and lifting your finger when not pressing a button, or sliding your finger around the pad keeping it pressed down lightly all the time?

I think the pro controller dpad was made for tapping not sliding, but it works for sliding fireball motions too.

Yeah, that's what I noticed too-- designed for tapping and not sliding ala the Sega Saturn pad

Dueck

Banned
I'm not complaining that this exists, the Switch needed it, but it would've been nice if they'd added two new fighters as well. I know there's balancing and other factors, but if they'd taken the two most popular absent characters and thrown them in (or even just surprises), fans would've been more happy than not about it, and it would've helped moved hardware for Nintendo. Lord knows, I'd have cared a lot of they'd tossed in a couple of redrawn SF1 characters, like Eagle and Retsu.

I've tried:

- Pro controller d-pad
- Joycon d-pad
- Joycon joystick

lol, Giant Bomb was complaining about this EXACT issue I believe with Evil Ryu....

sorry man :(

Soundslike

Neo Member
For me its the online that saves this game.

I have kof98 and garou, but without someone to play with, its arcade mode is to hard

For me its the online that saves this game.

I have kof98 and garou, but without someone to play with, its arcade mode is to hard

absolutely agree

I have to drop Garou and KOF down to "2" difficulty, otherwise, it ceases to be any fun, not to mentioned I'm handicapped by the controls (i'm primarily a stick player)

f@luS

More than a member.

I've tried:

- Pro controller d-pad
- Joycon d-pad
- Joycon joystick

I can do it anytime when I change my grip and use my right hand like on a stick not with the first finger. Which is uncomfortable to switch ingame and lose a lot of time online

mrk8885

Banned
Do you guys keep the L= heavy punch, R = heavy kick setup?

I hate having to use the L button so close to the dpad/ joystick. I change the mapping to r/zr

Seik

Banned

I've tried:

- Pro controller d-pad
- Joycon d-pad
- Joycon joystick

I pretty much 'learned' to deal with the shitiness of the Pro Controller's D-Pad after playing all day, yesterday.

In the end I was nailing air Hadoken and Raging Demon with Akuma without issues most of the time. But yeah, Pro Controller D-Pad is shit.

This was still at number 1 in the Amazon France video game charts yesterday, but it's finally slipped down to number 2- overtaken by Tekken 7.

Evilchris

Neo Member
44547820170530133819.jpg

With my new gamepad it's awesome !

Top Bottom