• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves |OT2|

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
At least the final boss wasnt as terrible as the first one. Now that was bad.

I kinda hope UC3 doesn't have a final boss, lol

TripOpt55

I am replaying Uncharted 2 now before 3 comes out. So damn fun. I have been playing the UC3 multi though, so I occasionally try and sprint when playing. It has become a habit I guess.

Luthos

TripOpt55 said:
I am replaying Uncharted 2 now before 3 comes out. So damn fun. I have been playing the UC3 multi though, so I occasionally try and sprint when playing. It has become a habit I guess.
Same. Got all the way to Chapter 9 I think? in one sitting. It's when you get into the temple with the mirrors.

This has to be my 6th playthrough or so. One of the best SP campaigns ever.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Wario64 said:

Agreed. Enough with this immortal powers shit and stupid boss fights. I don't wanna see monsters or mutants in Uncharted 3.

Keep it real ND.

Luthos

Sn4ke_911 said:
Agreed. Enough with this immortal powers shit and stupid boss fights. I don't wanna see monsters or mutants in Uncharted 3.

Keep it real ND.
How to end it, then? A gauntlet of dudes as you're running through some crumbling ruins and crazy shit going on all around?

I wouldn't mind that. I definitely don't want another super human boss. I hate those in otherwise realistic style games where dudes go down with a few shots. Yet these guys take clips and explosions over and over without dying.

TripOpt55

Luthos said:
Same. Got all the way to Chapter 9 I think? in one sitting. It's when you get into the temple with the mirrors.

This has to be my 6th playthrough or so. One of the best SP campaigns ever.
Ha... that is right where I am too. I love the Desperate Times chapter. You have the big combat setup in the courtyard at the beginning. You then have a nice mix of traversal and shooting while climbing the hotel. And then the heli part and the final custscene Elena shows up which is a great one. Feels almost like a vertical slice of the game that includes all the aspects you get in this game.

Luthos

So I'm at the village part, and if there's one thing that really irritates me on every playthrough, it's the friendly AI in this section. The villagers, and especially Tenzin. Tenzin has to be within a 3 foot radius of you. Two decent cover spots at a part, and he will make sure to take the same cover as you, possibly knocking you out, or blocking you from moving if you need to get away from a grenade or something. It's just so bothersome in this area.

RedSwirl

Yeah I just started a new run on this too. I'm still shocked at a lot of the art they managed to slip into the environments in this game. Like that part when
the helicopter shoots down the hotel with you in it
, right after that the whole scene is silent except for a ticking clock on a wall. I was just really impressed that they thought to add that finishing touch just for the sake of the game's atmosphere.

farnham

Banned
finished the game. im going to finish up Uncharted 1 now before entering Uncharted 3 (heard its all buggy right now)

overall i really loved the game. especially the colorful scenary (i mean 99% of the HD games are brown. a nice change ) the endboss was really weak though..

Mxrz

Looks like I'll end up with a copy of 3 soon. Had planned on waiting for a price drop. Now I feel like I should platinum 2. Somehow I only found like 30 treasures on my first run.

And yeah, disliked the final boss. Not really liking the idea of it on crushing or whatever the high difficulty is.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Luthos said:
How to end it, then? A gauntlet of dudes as you're running through some crumbling ruins and crazy shit going on all around?

I wouldn't mind that. I definitely don't want another super human boss. I hate those in otherwise realistic style games where dudes go down with a few shots. Yet these guys take clips and explosions over and over without dying.
Not far off!

Gvaz

Banned
Man I'm really hating the combat and the wave after wave in UC1. I'm at chapter 10 now and I can't play it for more than an hour at a time or two because I just get really tired of all the shooting and shitty melee/tps combat and just want to sit back and explore and watch drake do cool things.

Wario64 said:

I don't remember the final boss of UC1 since it's been so long but I HATED
Zoran's "Let's spam grenade in Pandora" fight.

Gvaz said:
Man I'm really hating the combat and the wave after wave in UC1. I'm at chapter 10 now and I can't play it for more than an hour at a time or two because I just get really tired of all the shooting and shitty melee/tps combat and just want to sit back and explore and watch drake do cool things.

Here is the UC1 OT

Joni

Mxrz said:
And yeah, disliked the final boss. Not really liking the idea of it on crushing or whatever the high difficulty is.
He is not that bad on Crushing, as there is a trick. But yeah, he sucks as a boss. I preferred the boss fight of the first Uncharted. Just a man you need to reach and win a QTE.

deim0s

Just finished UC1 and pretty much enjoyed it, but surprised it went by so fast.

Downloading all the dlcs of UC2 and going in within the week. I'm guessing this one is bigger than the first game? Seeing all the stuff included with the PSN voucher.

On MP, people still play this or moved to UC3?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Replaying at the moment on chapter 9... seems a lot easier than UC3 anyway. Playing on Normal for now. It's really amazing how good this game looks, two years on.

Donos

Just finished UC1 and getting UC2 and God of War 3 today for two weeks (city library has PS3 games for free here woohoo).
Should i start UC2 on hard or normal? I like the challenge but i don't want to retry frustrating parts for 5 hours. I got the impression that Hard is good for UC2 ?
Can't wait to start both games. Played the UC2 demo last week and even my non-gaming GF said wow to the graphics.

Massa

Just finished UC1 and getting UC2 and God of War 3 today for two weeks (city library has PS3 games for free here woohoo).
Should i start UC2 on hard or normal? I like the challenge but i don't want to retry frustrating parts for 5 hours. I got the impression that Hard is good for UC2 ?
Can't wait to start both games. Played the UC2 demo last week and even my non-gaming GF said wow to the graphics.

I honestly don't think it makes much of a difference in UC2, the parts you're likely to get killed a few times are mostly same on either difficulty (as in, a single shotgun/sniper/grenade will kill you). If you don't want frustration Normal is definitely better and still very enjoyable.

If you're a trophy kind of guy though you should know you need to beat it on Hard to unlock Crushing, which is needed for the platinum (in UC3 you can unlock Crushing after beating it on any difficulty).

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
The endboss is bad enough to warrant using exploits to off him, and said exploits aren't really any harder to do on higher difficulty.

Anteater

The endboss (or some of the "bad" fights) is terrible no matter what I would think. As far as the rest of the game, I played it on hard the first time and it was pretty fun since the AIs aren't as aimbot-like as they were in UC1, it's generally an easier game than UC1, I guess it might be different for everyone, but that's how I felt.

Atruvius

The endboss is bad enough to warrant using exploits to off him, and said exploits aren't really any harder to do on higher difficulty.
I don't get the hate the end boss gets. It was so much better than UC1 and 3's end bosses. Yes, it was hard for the first time but on consecutive playthroughs it was easy. On my crushing run I didn't even die in that part.

Just keep running and do not stop to aim all the time. If you have grenades throw 'em at him. They do as much damage as the resin.

Anteater

I don't get the hate the end boss gets. It was so much better than UC1 and 3's end bosses. Yes, it was hard for the first time but on consecutive playthroughs it was easy. On my crushing run I didn't even die in that part.

Just keep running and do not stop to aim all the time. If you have grenades throw 'em at him. They do as much damage as the resin.

Because it was boring I think,
you just circle around a tree or two and shoot these thingy on the trees over and over
, but yea it's better than the UC1's boss.

Donos

I've seen the crumbling
hotel part
in vids before but playing through it is really a"holy shit" moment. Some magic working there. And btw "Hard" is really fine. Didn't die much in shootouts till now.

Edit: Finished it (around 10 hours). What.A.Ride! Truly one of the best games i played. The overall package is just to good. One gafer said once that nobody is going to remember Uncharted in 10 years (in a thread about gaming classics i think) but i seriously doubt that. And damn, the details on Lazarevic face are outstanding.
"Hard" was just right. Even died only once at the Endboss. I don't see the big problem with him.
And :lol at "clowns" :)

dLMN8R

Finally got around to beating this! Compared to the absolutely awful original game, I loved this one. The shooting was much improved, enemies weren't stupid bullet sponages, and the size and scope of the game was just incredible. The story was far better than the first, the characters wholly original, excellent performances, and just some mindblowing sequences. The train segment was just mindboggling, how it started in the jungle and transitioned to the snowy mountain without a single load screen. So cool!

But god damn, how did anyone at Naughty Dog think that final boss was a good idea? Did anyone fucking playtest the thing? No one at the company had the sense to say "hey this bullshit isn't very fun. Maybe we should totally overhaul it!"

I know I'm speaking in the past, Uncharted 3 is already out, but Jesus Christ. What a horrible way to cap off an otherwise amazing game. Luckily, unlike the first one, the second had a ton of worthwhile substance before the stupid end boss fight.

Croc

Banned
I just got a PS3 for Christmas and have been playing through this series for the first time, just about to start the second one. I heard it was a lot easier than the second one so I was just wondering, would it be simpler to just play through the game on hard the first time so I can unlock Crushing mode too? Would Hard be about equivalent to Normal in Uncharted 1?

jsnepo

I guess the multiplayer for this game is already dead. I've been in matchmaking for more than 10 minutes now. Nothing. Everyone probably moved to Uncharted 3.

I guess the multiplayer for this game is already dead. I've been in matchmaking for more than 10 minutes now. Nothing. Everyone probably moved to Uncharted 3.

Funny, I was just playing some the other day and got into games fairly easily.

Oh, and

Uncharted 2 had an infinitely worse final boss fight than the first game did.

Same but I eventually got into a 4v4 but 2 on my team quit. The reason I booted it up was because uc3 online was pissing me off. It's amazing how smooth the game plays compared to 3. No bullshit recoil, no floaty camera/aim controls and the environments have so much more life.

Yanksfan

Same but I eventually got into a 4v4 but 2 on my team quit. The reason I booted it up was because uc3 online was pissing me off. It's amazing how smooth the game plays compared to 3. No bullshit recoil, no floaty camera/aim controls and the environments have so much more life.

Agreed. I wish there was more people still playing 2. :(

I just got a PS3 for Christmas and have been playing through this series for the first time, just about to start the second one. I heard it was a lot easier than the second one so I was just wondering, would it be simpler to just play through the game on hard the first time so I can unlock Crushing mode too? Would Hard be about equivalent to Normal in Uncharted 1?

IMO you should, but I tend to gravitate toward the highest available difficulty.

Enjoy this amazing game.

Agreed. I wish there was more people still playing 2. :(
I can go on. No bullshit loadouts, no weapon mods, no melee-fest. And I can't emphasize enough how much better the shooting is. It doesn't feel like I have Parkinson's whenever I pull the trigger. Took me by surprise because I normally have to twitch the stick around to correct the recoil but I didn't have to do much. Some may cry that it's noob friendly but I don't give a shit. I'll take the way I'd prefer a gun to handle in a VG over some aribitrary learning curve/low rank weapon choice.

Satchel

Banned
Sorry about the bump.

But seriously, what the fuck at taking almost 20 minutes just to access the multiplayer menu?

The co op trophy is my last to get the platinum and it's almost like the game doesn't want me to play multiplayer. Shithouse.

Sorry about the bump.

But seriously, what the fuck at taking almost 20 minutes just to access the multiplayer menu?

The co op trophy is my last to get the platinum and it's almost like the game doesn't want me to play multiplayer. Shithouse.

Lots of patches to download, pretty standard fare if you're this LTTP with any game this gen. :)

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone here still play the MP of this game? I'm trying to find games but I can't find a single one.

Don't know if you still play but I do every now and then. I can find games if I sit in the matchmaking screen for a while, then I usually just stay in the lobby until I've had enough games.

Tagg9

I recently graduated to Uncharted 3 (not necessarily better multiplayer, but different), and can attest that there are still a lot of people playing UC2 multi.

Makoto

Interesting bump. I was just playing MP a few days ago for the first time in a long time and it reminded me why matchmaking for games like this are so flawed. So many dead playlists (or playlists that were taking way too long to find a game). It seemed like co-op and the Lab were still kicking a bit.

Xdye7

Interesting bump. I was just playing MP a few days ago for the first time in a long time and it reminded me why matchmaking for games like this are so flawed. So many dead playlists (or playlists that were taking way too long to find a game). It seemed like co-op and the Lab were still kicking a bit.

I find players in TDM almost instantly, Objectives is still filled with boosters, and I haven't tried any other modes. I wish ND would put out the final Hammer lab and 3x cash. They even have the update ready. The player count also seems to be working again; I'm getting around 16.5k daily players.

Top Bottom