• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 - E3 2011 Gameplay and Trailer

The Lamp

Keikoku said:
Looks like Uncharted
Haven't seen anything new gameplay-wise. I hope that gunplay is better at least, but it seems that this time I won't buy this day one.

There's horse-back riding...but either way, this series thrives off its setpieces, platforming, puzzles, and gunplay. Outside of that, there's not much to expect.

Probably be best to compare Uncharted 2 to its E3 trailer and see what they showed, and what was in the full game.

Patapwn

The Lamp said:
There's horse-back riding...but either way, this series thrives off its setpieces, platforming, puzzles, and gunplay. Outside of that, there's not much to expect.

And narrative...

dralla

it's not about the individual aspects. if you break UC2 down it may not seem like it brings anything new or unique, but it's way it combined all of its elements. there are no other games that offer the same type of experience as UC2. it's the reason i dont consider it a third person shooter, it's an action-adventure game to me.

antipod

The trailers are

16bNv.jpg

BeeDog

Just went through this thread...

Keikoku said:
Looks like Uncharted
Haven't seen anything new gameplay-wise. I hope that gunplay is better at least, but it seems that this time I won't buy this day one.

Keikoku said:
there's something wrong with the perspective

Why am I not surprised? At all. :jakncoke

dralla said:
it's not about the individual aspects. if you break UC2 down it may not seem like it brings anything new or unique, but it's way it combined all of its elements. there are no other games that offer the same type of experience as UC2. it's the reason i dont consider it a third person shooter, it's an action-adventure game to me.

As a third-person shooter it's the best out there especially when it comes to controls and nothing out there combines third-person shooter and traversal/platforming as seamlessly outside of Infamous but then Infamous doesn't have MP.

cakefoo

We’ve also brought a ton of PS3 systems all hooked up with a massive chunk of the Uncharted 3 competitive and cooperative multiplayer modes – those are all on the floor of the SCEA booth for all E3 attendees to check it out. Do drop by!
Any impressions? Or is that tomorrow?

Game of the year. Game of the year. Game of the year. Game of the year. Game of the year. Game of the year. Game of the year. Game of the year.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
jett said:
am i crazy or does this not look as good as last year's trailer.
What you're looking at there might be one of the in-gameplay cutscenes, the kind of that were there in the first game from time to time. They often didn't look quite as good as the 'proper' cutscenes. As for the CG lighting you've mentioned - I'm convinced they have some special lighting trickery done for the desert scenes. All the cutscenes and brief gameplay they've shown from there look like they have global illumination in terms that sun reflection from sand also acts as light source.

Duffyside

Banned
MalboroRed said:
As a third-person shooter it's the best out there especially when it comes to controls and nothing out there combines third-person shooter and traversal/platforming as seamlessly outside of Infamous but then Infamous doesn't have MP.
Look, Uncharted is my favorite franchise this gen, and Uncharted 2 is my favorite game this gen... but it's called Vanquish. You should play it.

duffyside said:
Look, Uncharted is my favorite franchise this gen, and Uncharted 2 is my favorite game this gen... but it's called Vanquish. You should play it.

Not at all. He had it right the first time.

duffyside said:

I have Vanquish too, but no offense, having played 2 yrs of U2 MP I found Vanquish controls a bit clunky.

diddles

Banned
why aren't there any gifs of that water sequence where the boat tips on its side? that looked like the most impressive thing to me in the live demo. looked very realistic and dynamic... some good fluid dynamics/physics simulations were one of the things i first thought of back when sony was hyping up the cell being the cpu in ps3.

BeeDog

Is there a video of the live demo up yet? Didn't catch it. :O

EDIT: nevermind, overlooked the Gameplay link in the OP.

TripOpt55

I was so happy when I heard/saw Elena. I love her so much... haha. The trailer was so incredible too. Love the look of some of these scenarios.

I wish the enemies acted a bit more realistically in situations like the one in the demo. I mean those enemies should've been running straight for the exit when the wall burst, yet some were standing just above it still shooting Drake

Concept17 said:
I have a feeling Elena will die in this game. Not sure why.
sword through the back

Amy Hennig is a big fan of Joss Whedon and one his trademarks is that he has no problem killing off popular characters. But I still find it hard to believe that they'd kill off Elena. Chloe? Now that's possible.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Pazuzu9 said:
Dat touching of door frames.
Glad I wasn't the only one who noticed. Apparently there's going to be a lot of contextual animations of that kind that happen when you get close to something etc.

BeeDog

This game seems to have the best 3rd person animations in a game so far, without the need to impede the responsiveness of the controls (I'm looking at you, Rockstar). The gameplay demo was pretty cool, though not as mindblowing as the U2 reveal. It's probably much more fun to play through this yourself, anyhow.

Lord Error said:
Glad I wasn't the only one who noticed. Apparently there's going to be a lot of contextual animations of that kind that happen when you get close to something etc.
Yeah I love this kind of stuff. He reached out for the wall when going down some stairs too.

Now if they can get the sliding down pipes/ladders animation as good as (or better than) LA Noire, they'll be back on top. Rockstar/Bondi nailed that particular one...

MalboroRed said:
I have Vanquish too, but no offense, having played 2 yrs of U2 MP I found Vanquish controls a bit clunky.

Other way around for me (except for the 2 years part lol, that's impossible I aint the doctor)

Vanquish is just so fluid that other third person shooters feel...heavier and slower because of it. I still enjoy Uncharted though. I really hope they fix the bullet sponge problem but it doesn't look like that will happen :(

Discotheque said:
Other way around for me (except for the 2 years part lol, that's impossible I aint the doctor)

Vanquish is just so fluid that other third person shooters feel...heavier and slower because of it. I still enjoy Uncharted though. I really hope they fix the bullet sponge problem but it doesn't look like that will happen :(

I enjoyed Vanquish, but it was nowhere near as smooth as Uncharted 2. In fact, I think Uncharted 2 had the best feeling 3rd person shooting mechanics so far. Vanquish was very "snappy" to the point that stuff like jumping over cover looked a little janky compared to how smooth Uncharted 2 does it.

Withnail

I didn't think the live demo was as good as the 2009 one. The sinking ship thing would have been better if Tomb Raider Underworld hadn't done the same thing years ago.

I guess ND are actually simulating the ship moving underneath Drake though, based on the tech they developed for the train level in U2. The fluid dynamics were impressive as well.

Going to be god-tier gaming, no doubt about it.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I was a tad underwhelmed with both to be honest. After last year's amazing trailer and gameplay demo... I mean, it's hard to top.

Luthos

I only played the demo for Vanquish, but as is, I gotta say that Uncharted 2 has some of the best and most fluid controls I've ever experienced. They way he reacts to everything, without ever really breaking the fluidness of movement is just amazing.

Kyaw said:
Arrgggh

That scene with the damn spiders...

Spider-gaf?

I flinched at that. I fucking hate spiders! Why are they even on the same planet as us, seriously.

Game looks even more incredible than before. The trailer and the gameplay - jaw-droppingly brilliant. Uncharted 3 won E3.

Rez said:
I was a tad underwhelmed with both to be honest. After last year's amazing trailer and gameplay demo... I mean, it's hard to top.
Not hard to top, but the UC2 demo was totally unexpected, nobody in the audience would've expected that building to collapse, looked like a standard shoot out demo to begin with.

RooMHM

Sevket-Erhat said:
Game of the year. Game of the year. Game of the year. Game of the year. Game of the year. Game of the year. Game of the year. Game of the year.

Portal 2 already secured that spot, try again.

Luthos

RooMHM said:
Portal 2 already secured that spot, try again.
I liked Portal 2 myself, but I don't think it has a chance with the other heavy hitters this year, like Uncharted 3, Skyrim, etc.

Top Bottom