• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
By the way, i've been meaning to ask this before, why the beef against nighttime maps? Is it because of the lower visibility that makes enemies harder to spot, or do you dislike it purely from an aesthetic point of view? There aren't even that many of them. So far less than 25% of the maps in U3 are set during nighttime and the only i didn't like was high rise, because i preferred the vibrant colours in the U2 version.
Like you mentioned, enemies being harder to spot is my number 1 issue with dark maps. The Lost City is the absolute worst out of all them. You can't see enemies worth a shit in that map. The Train Wreck in UC2 had low visibility, but it wasn't as bad as anything in UC3. In the snowy train wreck, it was still possible to see players from across the map without much trouble even when the snow blizzard kicked in. The Lost City, Sanctuary, and High Rise are all visual downgrades from their UC2 counterparts from an aesthetic point of view for me. I feel like one of ND's greatest strengths is the way they do lighting and it clearly shows on day time maps, and that's what I like to see. That and rainy maps always tend to look, and play the best to me.

It's a mix between those two things that you mentioned.

I still can't believe how terrible High Rise looks at night when it was one of the most beautiful looking maps in UC2. That greenish looking tint that the Sanctuary now has also looks terrible. :(

I wouldn't have a problem with Highrise had they added much more bright lights in the dark areas. The lights out around the water tower, the rooftops and generally everywhere else needs to be brighter or added.

I hope Old quarter is visible.

Sanctuary looks freaking horrible. I just don't get the greenish look.

Plaza in UC2 looked perfect even though it was at night. Even Museum was great looking.

Endo Punk

Holy Moly that Oasis map is gorgeous. Ive only bought co-op maps so far but Im definitely going to get the next map pack, for one last go on the MP before I move on to the next one, which may well be Anarchy Reigns.

Also gaffers I want to know how you achieve a star next to your rank? Is it being legacy player or beating all crushing maps on adventure? If it's the latter I will never achieve it :( Too frustrating even when Im in a group that clearly has achieved it.

Just finished Uncharted 3. Dat ending action sequence... If i played it in 3D my eyes would explode. Perfect trilogy of games, 2 and 3 are really mindblowingly awesome.

Hopefully PS3 will get another Uncharted game before PS4 arrives.

Uncharted needs time off. No franchise should outstay their welcome. 3 is perfect for one gen and besides ND are working on a new IP which is much better than doing another UC. The next one imo should be a PS4 launch title.

Also gaffers I want to know how you achieve a star next to your rank? Is it being legacy player or beating all crushing maps on adventure? If it's the latter I will never achieve it :( Too frustrating even when Im in a group that clearly has achieved it.

It's the latter, you have to beat the on disc co-op adventures on crushing.

Like you mentioned, enemies being harder to spot is my number 1 issue with dark maps. The Lost City is the absolute worst out of all them. You can't see enemies worth a shit in that map. The Train Wreck in UC2 had low visibility, but it wasn't as bad as anything in UC3. In the snowy train wreck, it was still possible to see players from across the map without much trouble even when the snow blizzard kicked in. The Lost City, Sanctuary, and High Rise are all visual downgrades from their UC2 counterparts from an aesthetic point of view for me. I feel like one of ND's greatest strengths is the way they do lighting and it clearly shows on day time maps, and that's what I like to see. That and rainy maps always tend to look, and play the best to me.

Not a nighttime map, but i agree on Lost City. While i think it looks beautiful, the colour palette and the falling snow effect can make it hard to spot skins with muted colours. It would have been better if there was more snow, making the skins stand out.

While Sanctuary takes some getting used to, i appreciate that they tried to do something other than just a plain nighttime setting. I never cared much for the colour palette of Temple, so i don't mind the lighting change, shame about the lack of water though, looks a bit plain without it. The Old Quarter seems like the playable areas will be well lit for the most part, despite the night time setting, if anything i think the city in the background will look very nice this way. If High Rise was this well lit, i think it would look much nicer.

hao chi

I still can't believe how terrible High Rise looks at night when it was one of the most beautiful looking maps in UC2. That greenish looking tint that the Sanctuary now has also looks terrible. :(

If you don't mind, what other night maps in U2/U3 have given you visibility issues?

I'm asking because I haven't bought the new maps yet, but I also haven't had any issues with visibility on any U2 or U3 maps, so I'm curious if this is mainly an issue with U3's DLC.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
If you don't mind, what other night maps in U2/U3 have given you visibility issues?

I'm asking because I haven't bought the new maps yet, but I also haven't had any issues with visibility on any U2 or U3 maps, so I'm curious if this is mainly an issue with U3's DLC.
It's mostly with the few select maps of the DLC I listed, really. I don't have a problem spotting people in the Village, Train Wreck, Fort, Plaza, or Cave because they are all day time and I can easily see them. Their aesthetics are visually pleasing too IMO.

But that's the least of the worries you should be concerned about when it comes to playing with the DLC player pool. The DLC player pool is the absolute worst thing about the multiplayer. I have been contemplating on just deleting the DLC because it's getting to the point where I just don't have any fun playing alone. Every mode is the same shit. Same players, same weapons, same boosters, stacked parties, unfair balanced teams, lack of new maps showing up for vote, matchmaking taking forever to find people on certain playlists, power weapon spawns (Hello Double Barrel Shotgun spam in The Lost City), rage quitters, stat quitters, constant bitching/trash talking from parties of 5, maps not being balanced for certain game types (LOL Plunder in Cave), late joins not working sometimes, and more and more.

Sometimes I just ask myself why I even bother, but I'll get at least 1 good match here and there that convinces me that it could change. It hasn't.

Mr. Fix

@Rewrite

Yeah, exactly how I feel. The new maps looks great and all, but I'm always reminded by the fact that I'm always matched up with parties. Co-op arena's gotten stale, and who knows how long it'll take for these new maps to come up on vote.

@Rewrite

Yeah, exactly how I feel. The new maps looks great and all, but I'm always reminded by the fact that I'm always matched up with parties. Co-op arena's gotten stale, and who knows how long it'll take for these new maps to come up on vote.

I think the FBMP#2 fiasco was an isolated incident. Since the latest patch, I've been playing on the new maps fairly often. Also when the first map pack dropped, I played the new maps instantly and almost too much now. I really don't think we'll have any issues with this map pack since the last one's issue was mainly due to incompatible versions and delay.

I think the FBMP#2 fiasco was an isolated incident. Since the latest patch, I've been playing on the new maps fairly often. Also when the first map pack dropped, I played the new maps instantly and almost too much now. I really don't think we'll have any issues with this map pack since the last one's issue was mainly due to incompatible versions and delay.

An additional reason why the second map pack showed up less might be because fewer people bought it. But as you say, they are more common now, even while playing alone. Not exactly every other match, but i feel like they do come up often enough now, even more so when you're in a party. I'm also getting more mixed lobbies now, not just parties of max rank players. That's not to say that everything is perfect now, but it has gotten better lately in my experience.

If there won't be any technical problems like with FBMP#2, then it should get only better with the upcoming map pack, since i expect more people to get the brand new maps.

SxP

The worst thing though is when you finally get a map from FBMP2 (Village) and the game finishes... and everyone stays in. And then the vote for the next is: City of Brass vs Village.

Rage inducing. Why would anyone want to play the same map again? Why is there a map not from the DLC there? No one cares about those maps, you get to play them enough.

constant bitching/trash talking from parties of 5,

Mute all is your friend. If I play alone I always mute all when the game loads and if I forget and hear someone talking I stop and mute everyone immediately. If you play a game via matchmaking, nobody has anything useful to say.

Then again, I'm in Europe so muting is the first thing anyone does I guess. Italians, French, Russians etc. never bother to speak any English.

Rage inducing. Why would anyone want to play the same map again? Why is there a map not from the DLC there? No one cares about those maps, you get to play them enough.

What i find rage inducing is when a FBMP#2 map comes up and people vote for Facility or Desert Village over it. Happened more than once to me, why would anyone do that?

Mr. Fix

Actually I was referring to how often the maps I want come up on vote for co-op arena. The competitive side is so bullshit, I can't even get a break on co-op.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
^ This is probably true. FBMP #1 has more ratings than FBMP #2 in the PS store.
I haven't rated the FBMP #2 on the PS Store while I did for the first one. lol

/partoftheproblem

Flashback 2 maps come up in TDM, but for Team Objective it's once in a while and since I'm a primary Team Objective player, that's why I mentioned that I don't play on them that often.

Mute all is your friend. If I play alone I always mute all when the game loads and if I forget and hear someone talking I stop and mute everyone immediately. If you play a game via matchmaking, nobody has anything useful to say.

Then again, I'm in Europe so muting is the first thing anyone does I guess. Italians, French, Russians etc. never bother to speak any English.
I do mute them, but I just find it hilarious that they'll start talking massive shit before the match starts especially when they see my stats and that I haven't legacy'd once. Sometimes though you'll get nice people on the mic so I won't mute them until someone becomes very annoying or the trash talking gets old.

SxP

Flashback 2 maps come up in TDM, but for Team Objective it's once in a while and since I'm a primary Team Objective player, that's why I mentioned that I don't play on them that often.

I've never rated anything I bought/downloaded on the Store.

And yeah, I notice the FBMP2 maps coming up more in TDM as well. I guess that mode has more "hardcore" players.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
> plays TDM
> score is like 34-28
> Marked Man gets activated
> other team catches up right away and the score is something like 40-34
> we don't get a power play

How is this fair again?

Actually, i've been playing nothing but TO for the last few weeks and i was fairly happy with the rate at which the FBMP#2 maps come up. They're not as common as FBMP#1, but i get them a few times a night. If they appear even more in TDM, i'll be pleased as Punch (as soon as i feel like going back to TDM, that is).

Gintoki

PS blog just posted the four new MP maps. Graveyard, Old Quarter, London Streets and Oasis. Release date is 10th of April ($9.99)

7039688939_a678c9c64e_b.jpg

7039688319_41d2de04c5_b.jpg

6893591118_9bcdf7d107_b.jpg

7039686453_7428cdcd68_b.jpg

Trailer.

Ah, so it really is daytime on London Streets, looks very nice. Lol at the dog graffiti.

Edit:

Just watched the trailer, holy shit! Gimme, gimme! :)

I'm still not convinced that Graveyard is the same map as Dry Docks, as some people have been speculating. Though we only have 1 second of footage and a small pic of Dry Docks, it looks very different from what we've seen of Graveyard, apart from being set in the same part of the campaign. No mention of that tidal wave effect from last years MP trailer either, surely that would be something to show off in this trailer? I wonder if it got scrapped or if they're holding it back for some reason.

Perhaps they'll be giving it away for free like Fort in U2, to even out the ratio of U2 vs. U3 maps. ;)

/wishful thinking

Mikey Jr.

I'm still not convinced that Graveyard is the same map as Dry Docks, as some people have been speculating. Though we only have 1 second of footage and a small pic of Dry Docks, it looks very different from what we've seen of Graveyard, apart from being set in the same part of the campaign. No mention of that tidal wave effect from last years MP trailer either, surely that would be something to show off in this trailer? I wonder if it got scrapped or if they're holding it back for some reason.

Perhaps they'll be giving it away for free like Fort in U2, to even out the ratio of U2 vs. U3 maps. ;)

/wishful thinking

Drydocks was shown like 5 months ago for like 1 second. It was probably remade into graveyard or scrapped altogether.

Loudninja

SxP

Also from that blog post: Only two maps playable in co-op. That's pretty disappointing. I guess Graveyard was to be expected though, at least I'm assuming one of the non-playable maps is Graveyard.

London Streets looks pretty good. I love the look of all 4 of these new maps, and I hope that they are fun to play in. That does indeed suck that only two of the maps are going to make it into Co-op. Oh well. Also, reading the PS.Blog comments, it looks like MP trophies are going to come someday. I wonder why Naughty Dog had approval issues, since the Uncharted 2 DLC came with trophies. It's a good thing that they are going to be retroactive, though. Just please Naughty Dog, don't add a trophy like Protectorate.

Also from that blog post: Only two maps playable in co-op. That's pretty disappointing. I guess Graveyard was to be expected though, at least I'm assuming one of the non-playable maps is Graveyard.

Which is weird, because the trailer shows co-op enemies on 3 of the maps.

what are the 2 that are confirmed co-op ?

EDIt : i'm just happy that the lab will come back

I went to buy the FHC through the Playstation website, and I got redirected to Gamestop lol. Sony's giving away a cut because they haven't made a site buying shit for your PS3. I hope they eventually get their own online store.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Wow, all 4 maps looked great in that trailer. And it's coming out next week too! Pretty awesome. Hopefully we get the patch first before the maps come out.

The maps look great but its funny how the trailer shows all that gameplay and no HUD elements yet when your really playing there's HUD crap everywhere.

So yeah, I do hate how much HUD crap was added in UC3 and the fact that the video didn't show any of it should be a sign that its excessive and distracting.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
To add to this, Eric from ND posted this on the ND forums:

Eric-ND said:
For those of you interested in which of the new maps will work in what Co-Op gametypes once you download the new DLC here's a rundown. Graveyard isn't playable on co-op due to the water in the level and the technical requirements to keep that working properly. The design of London Streets made it better suited to certain co-op game types.

Arena

Oasis

London Streets

Hunters

Oasis

London Streets

Shades

Oasis

Old Quarter

London Streets

Lan

Hunters

Oasis

London Streets

Co-op Splitscreen(offline)

Arena

Oasis

London Streets

Shades

Oasis

Old Quarter

London Streets

For those of you interested in which of the new maps will work in what Co-Op gametypes once you download the new DLC here's a rundown. Graveyard isn't playable on co-op due to the water in the level and the technical requirements to keep that working properly. The design of London Streets made it better suited to certain co-op game types.

Arena

Oasis
London Streets

Hunters

Oasis
London Streets

Shades

Oasis
Old Quarter
London Streets

http://community.us.playstation.com/message/37590472#37590472

I thought as much about Graveyard, but why in the world can you play Shades mode in Old Quarter, but not Arena? I wonder if it has something to do with the fact that the Shades spawn out of thin air. If so, why not have the regular enemies in arena jump over a wall somewhere? Or use agents with smokebombs in the problematic maps, like in the London co-op adventure? It's not like the arena grunts enter all the other maps in a realistic fashion.

Edit:

Bah!

jett

D-Member
oh man DAT PISTOL in UC2. It's unbelievable what a useless piece of shit every single handgun is in UC3. I SO prefer the slower and more strategic nature of UC2 compared to the mindless chaos of the sequel. :/ I'm enjoying all my matches with UC2 randoms.

BHK3

Banned
oh man DAT PISTOL in UC2. It's unbelievable what a useless piece of shit every single handgun is in UC3. I SO prefer the slower and more strategic nature of UC2 compared to the mindless chaos of the sequel. :/ I'm enjoying all my matches with UC2 randoms.

All they needed to fix in U3 for me personally was better perks, new maps and mercenaries playlist.

I didn't get any of that.

Top Bottom