• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Only 3 more hours left before I get out of work! Can't wait to try out the patch.

Please post some impressions, GAF!

SxP

A new hill in Museum. At least, I haven't seen it before and I have played a lot of Team Objective on Museum. It's on of the balconies of the main building.

Smallest hill in the game it seems. Absolutely terrible as well, if 5 players stand in the hill 1 RPG round will kill them all.

arne

aaand, the final map pack images before it goes up on the PS Store tomorrow. If you haven't caught it floating around (or guessed) it's London Streets

TripOpt55

Started playing again tonight because of the patch. Had a couple of great matches before going downhill. I get so easily frustrated playing this game. Just need some more practice again I think. Looking forward to the map pack though. Excited to explore these new maps!

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Nice map.

I can't wait to jump in after this episode of Regular Show to test out the patch. I hope for a more enjoyable experience...

jett

D-Member
Finally getting some quality time with the last map pack, dem graphics. Train Wreck looks amazing.

BTW Arne...why is DM in Team Objective still only 60 seconds long? Do people at ND know that nobody ever reaches 15 kills? :p

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Deathmatch does NOT belong in Team Objective in the first place. Ever since the beta, I've requested for it to be eliminated. It makes no sense. I don't want to play deathmatch every single god damn time at the third round of the objective when I could play Treasure Hunter or any other objective instead.

Been testing out 1.09 and it feels great. Will post more in-depth stuff later.

A new hill in Museum. At least, I haven't seen it before and I have played a lot of Team Objective on Museum. It's on of the balconies of the main building.

Smallest hill in the game it seems. Absolutely terrible as well, if 5 players stand in the hill 1 RPG round will kill them all.
It's always been there.

hao chi

I'm fine with Deathmatch being in Objectives, but they should randomize the order so it's not always the third gametype, and extend the match so it's not some bullshit lightning round.

BHK3

Banned
Its not just London, my friends and I ran into THIS Drake glitche on Monastary. It is EXTREMELY frustrating when you are trying to do Crushing and saving up lives for the end bit cause you have to kill yourself and even then its not guaranteed that Drake wouldn't glitch. He also glitched once on the stairs after that. :\

Wait, this STILL happens? It's been 6 fucking months and this still isn't patched? The only reason why I don't have my crushing star yet is because of that damn bug and the map being completely unbalanced in terms of difficulty after that part.

hao chi

Wait, this STILL happens? It's been 6 fucking months and this still isn't patched? The only reason why I don't have my crushing star yet is because of that damn bug and the map being completely unbalanced in terms of difficulty after that part.

It's actually not that bad if you're well prepared. There's a PAK-80 hidden off to the side that helps a ton. Knowing about that PAK-80 sooner would have saved me a ton of frustration...

Here's a pretty good guide for the last area: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=0KKMOSTfhYA#t=819s

Random fact: Illuminaughty (from that vid) and I got our stars together. :p

SxP

Yeah DM in Team Objective is too short.

It's too long, it shouldn't even be there. Especially since you always play it.

Lately I have been seeing King of the Hill as ender (when it's 2-2) and starter instead of Chain Reaction on some maps like Museum. Which makes sense because chain reaction sucks on that map.
It's always been there.

6/7 months and I haven't seen that hill ever and I only play Team Objective. I guess I should be happy with that though, because that is the worst hill I have ever seen.

It's actually not that bad if you're well prepared. There's a PAK-80 hidden off to the side that helps a ton. Knowing about that PAK-80 sooner would have saved me a ton of frustration...

Yes, the pak is essential and it quickly clears the mobs, especially if 1 or 2 teammates equip army of three and kickback endurance. The hammer, rpg and dragon sniper also help a lot.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
OK, time for feedback:

Patch 1.09 and 1.08 are great for the most part.

- I've always been a primary AK user since the longest and I automatically noticed the difference in the 'buff'. Those who don't notice any difference probably don't use the AK enough because there IS a difference. When you aim it now (without scoping it in), you have this feeling like you know where your bullets are going to hit unlike with before where the bullet spread would be everywhere and random. It sort of feels like you have a weaker version of an accuracy mod equipped with the AK now.

- With the AK 'buff', you'd expect the online community to migrate over to it, but no. Instead, we now have a rise of M9's with the Rate of Fire attachment (what a surprise
HOChk.gif
). It's absolutely disgusting that this mod is still available when it isn't needed in the M9. The stock M9 is good enough for every range. With the rate of fire attachment, it makes the M9 a stronger weapon and let's face it, most combat is mid to close range, so it really becomes deadly. Yes, the rate of fire increases your recoil making it harder to kill someone at a long distance, but the recoil itself is not hard to control when you are in mid-range. It's an aim-able KAL-7.

- The increased bullets to the TAU Sniper is a step in the right direction to fixing the gun, but it isn't enough. It's still a useless side arm that pales in comparison to the other ones. As I mentioned before, it is extremely difficult to get three consecutive shots on someone unless they are standing perfectly still, which is something that rarely happens in this game. If your target is moving, you have no chance. It fires slowly, the recoil messes up your aim for your next shot, it has terrible blindfire, and the weapon mods are useless. Clip Size is needed as a mod, IMO along with a max ammo mod, just like the Dragon Sniper.

- G-MAL...what can I say. The stopping power fix is GREAT. I no longer freeze when I'm shot with one burst. I can escape now! Yeah, it still kills in two burst if aimed correctly and it can become annoying sometimes, but with the stopping power decrease, it's harder to kill targets from far away distances because they'll run away. THAT is great. Unlike with the FAL nerf, people are still using this gun. It's still the most used gun in the MP along with the M9 ROF. Wish it could change, but it won't. Still, it's better balanced now.

- DLC Toggle Option: SO GOOD. I think it's my favorite thing out of the patch. I was starting to get so fucking annoyed playing in the DLC pool with the worst players of the community that exploit the cheapest shit so it's nice to have a break from all that and chill back with the default UC3 maps which I like. You still can't escape the 5 man party of legacy players in Deathmatch, but for Team Objective it's mostly made up of randoms and no parties. It's a different 'mood' in the default player pool. I was so shocked that the amount of quits were so minimal because people in the default player pool just don't give a shit about their stats, which is awesome. I still have matches where I go like 26-9 and still lose because of team mates that have scores like 2-19 and I do get irritated...but it's at a minimal occurrence and I let it slide because I get paired up with low level players who haven't legacy'd yet. One thing I have noticed after turning the DLC option off, is that it takes a little bit longer to find matches. I'll give it a few days until more people download the patch before I pass judgement.

- The auto-aim of the Sewed Off Shotgun while jumping nerf is amazing. I laughed so hard today when the legacy 3 players would jump and completely miss their shots every single time knowing that it was entirely useless. :lol Best part is that they'd get killed. It's so awesome. The only way its effective is if you're just running and gunning. I don't have a problem with that because it's harder to regain back your medals for your kickback.

- There is ONE thing I do NOT like in this patch though and is the change that Cloaked Level 3 received. It makes your character 100% silent. Previously, your character would still grunt when you would climb, your character would still make noises when you got hit with bullets or a grenade, but now? None of that. Zero. it's like the skeletons of UC2. I don't know if this was intentional or a bug, but I hope it gets fixed soon. I do not enjoy 100% silent skins and I was hoping that after ND mentioned that they were moving away from skins being 100% silent that they'd keep their word. I understood the complaints from the community regarding the grunting noises while climbing, but I was hoping that ND would make the climbing grunting noises like Cloaked Level 2 where you could still hear it, but it was really silent. I don't ever want to see a match being 100% silent in UC3. I had enough of that in UC2. The livelier, the better.

Overall, I'm a big fan of this patch. ND, you're doing a great job fixing and balancing things. I'm pleased.

- There is ONE thing I do NOT like in this patch though and is the change that Cloaked Level 3 received. It makes your character 100% silent. Previously, your character would still grunt when you would climb, your character would still make noises when you got hit with bullets or a grenade, but now? None of that. Zero. it's like the skeletons of UC2. I don't know if this was intentional or a bug, but I hope it gets fixed soon. I do not enjoy 100% silent skins and I was hoping that after ND mentioned that they were moving away from skins being 100% silent that they'd keep their word. I understood the complaints from the community regarding the grunting noises while climbing, but I was hoping that ND would make the climbing grunting noises like Cloaked Level 2 where you could still hear it, but it was really silent. I don't ever want to see a match being 100% silent in UC3. I had enough of that in UC2. The livelier, the better.

As someone who has gotten cloaked to gold last week, i have to agree. Obviously i don't mind that the climbing noises are gone now, since it takes some effort to get it to gold and Chloe's loud moaning while climbing was counterproductive, but they shouldn't have made the characters stop spouting oneliners and react to grenades with cloaked equiped, it feels a bit boring and robs the game of its atmosphere, which will probably make me switch up my slot 1 boosters a bit more.

jett

D-Member
- With the AK 'buff', you'd expect the online community to migrate over to it, but no. Instead, we now have a rise of M9's with the Rate of Fire attachment (what a surprise
HOChk.gif
). It's absolutely disgusting that this mod is still available when it isn't needed in the M9. The stock M9 is good enough for every range. With the rate of fire attachment, it makes the M9 a stronger weapon and let's face it, most combat is mid to close range, so it really becomes deadly. Yes, the rate of fire increases your recoil making it harder to kill someone at a long distance, but the recoil itself is not hard to control when you are in mid-range. It's an aim-able KAL-7.

M9 uber alles, fuck the AK weirdos that use that POS, no offense. :p If they nerf the M9 I'm done with this game, it's the only weapon I have fun using.

eloestmn

I play co-op ALOT, and that glitch doesnt happen every single time, at least not for me. Out of all my hours playing co op and the many fucking times ive played on monestary, Ive only seen that glitch twice.

eloestmn

sorry for the double post.

6/7 months and I haven't seen that hill ever and I only play Team Objective. I guess I should be happy with that though, because that is the worst hill I have ever seen.

Ive got no problem with that hill location. I think it promotes teamwork, which is a big thing in playing objective and succeeding.

2 players in the hill and the three other players just watch for enemies coming up the stairs or over the ledges. Problem solved. (now, i realize all that goes out the window when you play with randoms or teammates who dont want to do anything but go for kills while playing TO)

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I love that spot. I think the worst king of the hill location is the one in The Temple where the RPG is at. You literally have no cover whatsoever and you get shot at from every direction.

M9 uber alles, fuck the AK weirdos that use that POS, no offense. :p If they nerf the M9 I'm done with this game, it's the only weapon I have fun using.
The AK has always been fine to me, but now it's even better. Ask anyone who has ever partied up with me or faced me and they'll tell you that I get great scores using the AK even before this patch. I'm not asking for a M9 nerf. I'm just requesting that the rate of fire attachment get removed as the regular stock M9 is good enough. It doesn't need to kill faster.

Cloaked lvl3 buff is fine!
I usually agree with what you have to say, but this time I can't agree. 100% silent skins shouldn't be in this game. In the ND forums, people were just saying that the climbing noises should be removed or made more silently, NOT to make your character 100% silent for everything. Level 3 Cloaked before this patch was a good enough booster as it is, and now it's even better. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a migration towards this booster as the primary slot for booster 1 when people know that you don't make any noise whatsoever. I think people would gladly give up Fleet Foot just for that reason alone.

Right now the gameplay in UC3 MP>>>>>>>>>>>>UC2 MP.

The AK is redeemed.
Gmal is balanced.
M9 is so/so. Good but not a HUGE problem.
Blindfire is better.

Hell I even swear that the aim "stickyness" feels less than it was pre patch.

Only thing UC2 has over this is the para 9 shooting. That thing shoots better.

I am loving my AK improvements. The AK wasn't necissarly a bad gun before but now it can compete with the M9+RoF and Gmal. Very happy about this as I too have always been an AK guy. I noticed the difference right away. Overall a great balance update.

jett

D-Member
The AK has always been fine to me, but now it's even better. Ask anyone who has ever partied up with me or faced me and they'll tell you that I get great scores using the AK even before this patch. I'm not asking for a M9 nerf. I'm just requesting that the rate of fire attachment get removed as the regular stock M9 is good enough. It doesn't need to kill faster.

As long as the GMAL exists the M9 does need to kill faster. :p This "nerf" has done nothing.

jett

D-Member
My early map impressions from testing them out on a custom game:

London streets: seems huge, lots of nooks and crannies, has two main interior buildings: the pelican bar and the warehouse. Pretty cool, but not much verticality, it's pretty ground based

Oasis: seems to be small-ish, I think it only has a Mag-5 when it comes to special weapons. It also has poor verticality, right now it's hard to know where you can climb and where you can't.

Old Quarter: medium sized, lots of jumping into windows and apartments. I think it has potential for awesome moments.

Graveyard: WATAH, this is gonna be really interesting. Seems to be a big map, takes a lot scenery from the main campaign. Didn't mess with it much.

After experiencing all the maps, I think I'm gonna crown Train Wreck as the best looking of them all.

TripOpt55

Yeah I just looked at them in custom game by myself. Graveyard could be interesting. There is this one section where you can swim under the middle part. Not sure it'd be useful, but it is interesting. London Streets really did seem to lack verticality.

hao chi

- G-MAL...what can I say. The stopping power fix is GREAT. I no longer freeze when I'm shot with one burst. I can escape now! Yeah, it still kills in two burst if aimed correctly and it can become annoying sometimes, but with the stopping power decrease, it's harder to kill targets from far away distances because they'll run away. THAT is great. Unlike with the FAL nerf, people are still using this gun. It's still the most used gun in the MP along with the M9 ROF. Wish it could change, but it won't. Still, it's better balanced now.

I'm not really surprised the G-MAL is still so popular. Guns that are useful at every range tend to be popular; just look at Halo and how the Pistol/Battle Rifle/DMR are all the most used weapons.

I strongly believe Naughty Dog made a mistake when they added the extra recoil to the full-auto weapons to make them nearly useless at fairly long distances, as well as making the Para 9 such a downgrade from the 92FS. Other than the G-MAL, all the weapons in U3 are very dependent on the player staying within their appropriate range - this adds a rock/paper/scissors element to the game where your chances of winning a gunfight hinge on staying within the appropriate range, not skill.

Uncharted 2 was brilliantly balanced to where I never really needed to drop my AK or 92FS for anything else. If I faced a FAL user halfway across Plaza, I could still win with a burst-fired AK or 92FS if I was skilled enough and had some luck on my side. The FAL's accuracy and scope gave them a nice advantage, but ultimately skill mattered most, and that's exactly how I think it should be.

jett

D-Member
Yeah adding recoil to everything was a mistake. All the weapons but the sniper rifles and the gmal are terrible at long range.

Bree

Anyone else having trouble getting the new maps to appear in co-op arena? I've got them downloaded and installed. Dlc switch is toggled on. I have yet to see them appear in the selection screen. They only time they seem to popup is in shades mode and I don't want to play that garbage.

Anyone else having trouble getting the new maps to appear in co-op arena? I've got them downloaded and installed. Dlc switch is toggled on. I have yet to see them appear in the selection screen. They only time they seem to popup is in shades mode and I don't want to play that garbage.

It'll get better in the coming days as more people get the new maps. Not everyone gets DLC right when the store is updated and the maps aren't even out yet in some regions.

Mr. Fix

Only got to play Oasis with a friend today, and it was pretty fun. The new patch was better overall, but as previously stated, there's no escape from fighting against a full party. Also went to try Co-op Arena on the London streets, which was awesome.

I can see why the Graveyard can't be an Arena stage, but why not that Old Quarters stage? C'mon ND, it's bad enough we can't play the Cave, Wreck, Underground, and Temple but seriously wtf? It's like a marketing scheme, cuz apparently it works for Shades, which up until now had the same maps Arena did.

I haven't really encountered any cheating in this game except some out of bounds stuff during the beta rounds. Werd.

I've had some people glitching outside of the map a few times in retail as well, but it wasn't nearly as prevalent as in U2. Actually, i don't think i have encountered any of that since they fixed that spot in Desert Village. But nonetheless, i hope this will curb any potential cheaters from doing so in the future. Glitch as much as you like in customs, but leave that shit out of public matches.

Downloaded the new maps yesterday, but didn't get to play any matches on them yet. I did go through them all by myself in a Custom Game, and wow they are just beautiful. Graveyard is just sick with the moving water, Oasis is going to take some getting used to since I kept trying to climb places that aren't climbable, Old Quarter is well lit and is a good size, and London Streets is shockingly large. I hope that today more people have downloaded the maps so that they come up in matchmaking. Gonna be a blast playing on them.

TripOpt55

I got to play each map once today. I enjoyed Ship Graveyard quite a bit and London Streets was alright. Didn't care much for the other two, but they might grow on me.

Top Bottom