• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

protonion

I've already made a post in the off-topic but in case you don't go there, Uncharted will get it's own board game this year!

Strike

I SO prefer the slower and more strategic nature of UC2 compared to the mindless chaos of the sequel. :/ I'm enjoying all my matches with UC2 randoms.

Nerfed health, bunny hopping, fleet foot, down the irons, and situational awareness users eventually took its toll on my enjoyment of the game. UC3 MP has its own set of issues so it's more of a wash. How's the community now?

Mr. Fix

Nerfed health, bunny hopping, fleet foot, down the irons, and situational awareness users eventually took its toll on my enjoyment of the game. UC3 MP has its own set of issues so it's more of a wash. How's the community now?
Do you play competitive in a party? If not, prepare to be assualted by people who are in parties. Assuming you play on the dlc.
Don't buy the DLC.
The competitive side isn't worth jack.

Also, still no Elimination. No clue why they took it out/ haven't brought it back. It doesn't help that ND moves about as fast as a snail with fixing the problems/ new content either. Smfh ND. /vent

Abylim

Just started this lastnight. I have to say, I thought the reviewers were being sensationalist by saying some of the things they said, but after playing abit (Chapter 11 now) I think the series has gone back abit.

I loved UC1 and 2 like the second coming of Christ. Had a blast! But it seems like Drake handles abit weird now. The shooting doesnt feel right, even tried both settings.
For instance, sometimes, to jump backwards off something, I need to lightly move the stick in some weird direction, sometimes not even in the direction I'm trying to get! This happened alot
in the secret library part.
Dont get me wrong, loving it. But I can definitely see how some of the reviewers could have been abit let down. I'll wait till I've beaten the game for final judgment.

Just started this lastnight. I have to say, I thought the reviewers were being sensationalist by saying some of the things they said, but after playing abit (Chapter 11 now) I think the series has gone back abit.

Some parts in the first half didn't really grab me either (loved the opening and France, but the London Underground part and Syria felt a bit pedestrian), the game really picks up after you arrive in Yemen though, you're in for a treat!

jett

D-Member

It's a funny thing about the health, I actually didn't notice much of a difference going back to UC2. Between dying from two bursts with the G-MAL and five shots from the FAL-SS UC3 might actually be worse in practice. :p UC3 has all the problems you mentioned except bunny hopping.

You'll find players when you search for a game, but they will most of the time be completely unfun to play with.

jett

D-Member
Deleted all my UC3 game data, redownloaded and reinstalled all the DLC, still can't find games with Flashback 2 maps.

Naughty Dog...FUCK YEAH

Deleted all my UC3 game data, redownloaded and reinstalled all the DLC, still can't find games with Flashback 2 maps.

Naughty Dog...FUCK YEAH

You haven't played a single game on those maps so far, or are they just really rare? What time do you play at? As i said before, they don't come up as often as FBMP#1 maps for me, but i still get them a few times a night. I have spent about 3 hours in TO last night and i have played Village thrice, Train Wreck twice and Temple once. Plaza came up to, but some fools voted for Desert Village instead.

Yea I am having real trouble playing flashback map pack 2. I have only been able to play three out of the four maps one time.

I still think U3's multilayer blows out U2's by a longshot.

jett

D-Member
You haven't played a single game on those maps so far, or are they just really rare? What time do you play at? As i said before, they don't come up as often as FBMP#1 maps for me, but i still get them a few times a night. I have spent about 3 hours in TO last night and i have played Village thrice, Train Wreck twice and Temple once. Plaza came up to, but some fools voted for Desert Village instead.

not a single game. they don't even come up on map selection, but i can play them on custom games.

Loudninja

Patch notes, it come out on April 9:

Gameplay

-Cloaked level 3 booster better masks the player’s sounds when equipped
- Increased default Tau Sniper ammo total to 18
-Fixed certain regions on Ruins and Facility maps where a thrown Plunder or Treasure Hunter idol would not respawn
-Crushing difficulty on Plaza and Village for Shade Survival is now locked until properly unlocked via gameplay
-Players can no longer infinitely hold a high-five pose to avoid being grabbed by a Choker in Co-Op modes
-G-MAL stopping power reduced by 50%
- Shield’s health increased by 18%
-Auto aim while jumping reduced on double-barrel shotguns
-Bullet spread for AK-47 tightened by ~10%

Technical
- Players are now able to vote on the difficulty of Co-Op matches no matter where they are on the menu when the voting period begins
-Players can no longer join the party of a player that is viewing a Cinema file

User Interface
DLC Toggle added to the Options menu

General
All cinema files captured pre patch 1.09 are no longer accessible

Server
Updated the server-side to allow for live updates to weapon functionality
http://www.naughtydog.com/site/post/uncharted_3_patch_109_notes/

not a single game. they don't even come up on map selection, but i can play them on custom games.

Shit, that really sucks.

-Cloaked level 3 booster better masks the player’s sounds when equipped

Nice, i just upgraded it to gold tonight.

-Players can no longer infinitely hold a high-five pose to avoid being grabbed by a Choker in Co-Op modes

Heh, didn't even know you could do that.

-G-MAL stopping power reduced by 50%

Seems like a substantial change, let's see how this works out.

SxP

So what's the big (technical) change that requires new types of cinema files?

The G-Mal nerf is a couple months too late, but I guess it's better late than never.

Tokubetsu

I wish I could actually get cloaked to level 3. I hit level two and all of a sudden it's near impossible for me to get 3 sneak kills in a game.

Heh, didn't even know you could do that.

Yea, it was a nice little trick to save yourself or to get their attention so your buddies could finish it off...shame that it'll be gone.

As for the rest of the patch note, I'll wait and see on the G-mal fix before I celebrate...like wise with the jumping shotgun (which annoyed me to no end)...otherwise, sounds good, especially the DLC switch.

jimi_dini

Just got my platinum.

I liked U3 more than U2. They tried new things and not just run/jump to next set piece, shoot-out, run/jump again etc. Also U2 felt like just set pieces and the story written around them. U3 felt sort of the same way, but much better.

Crushing was WAY easier than in U1/U2.

But what I really didn't like were the TONS of bugs everywhere. I really can't believe it. It really feels rushed and not like the typical Naughty Dog quality. I mean I got several serious bugs in coop multiplayer like for example in Monastery Drake getting out and then having no head (his head is inside his body) and he didn't move at all, which meant killing the team to restart the checkpoint. This happened even twice within 2-3 days. Also some enemies got trapped inside buildings and stayed there, shooting at the team. Of course, they couldn't reach us and we couldn't reach them - which means restarting checkpoint again.

And in singleplayer I also had several bugs. For example in chapter
19 - when you get rescued by the men on horseback
normally a cutscene should start there. But for me it didn't start. The
horse
just froze in place and I was able to walk through parts of the level, where I'm supposed to be on
horseback

And some of the voice acting (and body acting) is terri-bad. I mean in coop-multiplayer on Monastery
"Drake, we thought you were dead"
, said like reading a line from a script and the motion-capture screams "who cares". And parts of crushing in coop multiplayer are pretty ill-designed. I mean come-on, in "airport" 3 armored guys on a roof with unlimited hammers, are you kidding me? It's just luck to get through. You just need to have bad luck and two shoot at you at the same time, which means instant-death.

Also matchmaking is even more broken than in U2. I didn't even play 1 full competitive match, but even coop matchmaking is terri-bad. I had a great match, beating a mission on crushing difficulty. I was around level 55, the other 2 were around 60-70. And what did the game do? "Searching for players" and kicked me out of that session afterwards. Why? It even gets worse, if they match you with noob players and this even happens WHILE you are playing on crushing difficulty with other high-level players. Guess what, the noob will die and then leave the session. And here comes the worst part - sometimes that leaving will RESET to the previous checkpoint, which means those noobs or morons that rage-quit will actually reset the game (I for one play till the checkpoint, if I want to leave, so that this crap doesn't happen). It even gets more insane, when those people SPAWN and THEN leave, which means they will cost the team a life. I mean I like that people can join even during a match, but this could have been built much better.

And will those leaving people get punished like in U2? No of course not. One useful feature that Naughty Dog removed. Probably because too many people complained. OMG. Then please why don't you let the players SELECT THE DIFFICULTY THEY WANT TO PLAY ON BEFORE MATCHMAKING. This would solve lots of problems. If I want to play crushing, I WILL play crushing. Which means if the other 2 players vote for another difficulty, I will leave the session right at the start. Which means wasting my time and is also pretty stupid for the other 2 players. I really don't know whats so hard about that. It could be so simple.

Also the treasure drop rate is just insane. I played through london around 5 times in total on crushing and Pattern Ring didn't drop once. Same for other coop missions. It's such a hell to get through those and then not getting anything is really annoying.

Anyway, I enjoyed the singleplayer and the coop multiplayer is somewhat better than in U2, especially because there are more missions than in U2 and there is more variety.

SxP

According to the patch video the Lab is returning soon and the first one will be T-Bolt & Mag-5.

I will finish a match not hitting a single person. Every damn time I have one of those weapons I manage to miss every single bullet. Even when I'm playing really well, those weapons transform me into a scrub.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Very solid patch IMO. Lots of great fixes in this one. GMAL's stopping power was really my main issue with the gun so hopefully the reduction in stopping power will make it balanced. The bullet spread fix for the AK also seems like a good one since the recoil is pretty random when you aren't scoping it in, making it a little tough to follow a target at mid range. Hopefully it'll get people to start using it so there's GASP variety in the MP.

The DLC toggle option is great too, but I still fear that we're going to get another UC2 scenario where it will take ages to find matches on the DLC player pool because the online community migrated to default.

jett

D-Member
Someone's gonna have to explain to me the reasoning behind the rate of fire of the Para 9, it's like it jams on you. Wish it was just like UC2's pistol...

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
So there's two patches?

and 1.09?

Are both coming in together!? Cuz the GMAL/AK fixes, DLC toggle, increased TAU sniper ammo are in 1.09...wait nevermind

Eric-ND said:
They patches are culumative. You'll get 1.09 on April 9th 2012 sometime during the day PST. We'll tweet it out.

jett

D-Member
All pistols are crap. I have no idea why would you ever want to use any of them on purpose. The recoil on the Para-9 is completely ludicrous. They're all frankly useless. Today I played several hours of UC2(lots of people still play apparently, thank god for that) and ALL of the handguns are useful. The 9mm, micro, desert5 and pistole are all beastly in their own way.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
All pistols are crap. I have no idea why would you ever want to use any of them on purpose. The recoil on the Para-9 is completely ludicrous. They're all frankly useless. Today I played several hours of UC2(lots of people still play apparently, thank god for that) and ALL of the handguns are useful. The 9mm, micro, desert5 and pistole are all beastly in their own way.

Yeah, definitely hate UC3 pistols. I miss 92FS :(

TripOpt55

Definitely one of the things I miss about Uncharted 2. How you'd see so many different weapons being used. Both pistols and rifles. I might have to head back to Uncharted 2 multiplayer for a bit.

jimi_dini

Oh god, I just played through London coop and we finished the mission, but when the ending window should come up, nothing came up. The van drove away and instead Chloe went up from the van straight into the sky. Then it stayed there for around 30 seconds, then went to black. Trying to leave the session didn't work either. Had to PS3-menu-Quit-The-Game.

Also right before that, a player left the game and the game went haywire. I mean normally you go up the stairs and enemies spawn. But in this case, no enemies spawned at all and we could walk right through. Of course, we couldn't exit that part of the level.

And it seems that the game seems to also go haywire, if you make a taunt (like furry) and then someone presses Triangle to get to the next level. I had it 2 times that I stayed within the previous part of the level. The other players went to the next part and I didn't even see the cutscene. Had to kill myself both times.

This game is awfully buggy, I can't believe it. I could not break U2 at all, although I played it a lot. U3 I played for 5 days or something and everything is broken.

Oh god, I just played through London coop and we finished the mission, but when the ending window should come up, nothing came up. The van drove away and instead Chloe went up from the van straight into the sky. Then it stayed there for around 30 seconds, then went to black. Trying to leave the session didn't work either. Had to PS3-menu-Quit-The-Game.

Also right before that, a player left the game and the game went haywire. I mean normally you go up the stairs and enemies spawn. But in this case, no enemies spawned at all and we could walk right through. Of course, we couldn't exit that part of the level.

And it seems that the game seems to also go haywire, if you make a taunt (like furry) and then someone presses Triangle to get to the next level. I had it 2 times that I stayed within the previous part of the level. The other players went to the next part and I didn't even see the cutscene. Had to kill myself both times.

This game is awfully buggy, I can't believe it. I could not break U2 at all, although I played it a lot. U3 I played for 5 days or something and everything is broken.

Don't worry ...it's just the london co-op mission that is like that

The checkpoints in this map are totally broken ..and you better hope nobody joins or quits during the missions !!
a few pages back i posted screens of someone literrally stuck in the air unable to continue for example and on hard i once got 2 (2!!) waves of the final ennemies ( with the perks on their head )..instead of getting the next checkpoint i got that part a second time !!!

i also managed to get 3 idols instead of 2 in Fort co-op!!

And don't get me started on the plane part of "airport"

jett

D-Member
Had some good games with the ol' Uncharted GAF crew! Games end just too quickly when we play together. :p Sorry I left suddenly, game crashed again and I had enough. :p

Anybody got any suggestions on how to practice my throwing back grenades? Should I just do some SP on Crushing, Co-op, or something else? It's definitely the weakest part of my game.

jett

D-Member
Anybody got any suggestions on how to practice my throwing back grenades? Should I just do some SP on Crushing, Co-op, or something else? It's definitely the weakest part of my game.

Watch the throwback meter, if it's on the green area you can throw it back, otherwise run away. :p And don't run towards a grenade to throw it back, it's not a mechanic to be taken advantage of in that way, you'll just kill yourself.

Mikey Jr.

Just keep playing. Trust me, it becomes second nature eventually.

If you have a second controller, you can start a private split screen match and practice throwing grenades to yourself. Though a controlled environment and a real life game are 2 different beasts.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Play co-op arena on Crushing. Every enemy that you melee to death will drop a grenade. Once you get the hang of it in co-op, it'll translate well for competitive. Contrary to what jett mentioned, I usually rush into the grenades to throw them back. It's risky, but rewarding because you can get a kill from it, or just save yourself from getting knocked down from the explosion, or just knock down the guy who threw it at you so you can finish him off with your gun. It's a great mechanic once you get the hang of it. It's really easy.

SxP

I usually don't rush into grenades either. But that's because I have been screwed over by lag way too many times. Times where I see him throwing the grenade, I'm waiting for the throwback but it lands and immediately explodes. Not quick boom immediately, I can see the throwback meter, but it explodes the split second after I see the meter.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Don't worry ...it's just the london co-op mission that is like that

The checkpoints in this map are totally broken ..and you better hope nobody joins or quits during the missions !!
a few pages back i posted screens of someone literrally stuck in the air unable to continue for example and on hard i once got 2 (2!!) waves of the final ennemies ( with the perks on their head )..instead of getting the next checkpoint i got that part a second time !!!

i also managed to get 3 idols instead of 2 in Fort co-op!!

And don't get me started on the plane part of "airport"

Its not just London, my friends and I ran into THIS Drake glitche on Monastary. It is EXTREMELY frustrating when you are trying to do Crushing and saving up lives for the end bit cause you have to kill yourself and even then its not guaranteed that Drake wouldn't glitch. He also glitched once on the stairs after that. :\

Its not just London, my friends and I ran into THIS Drake glitche on Monastary. It is EXTREMELY frustrating when you are trying to do Crushing and saving up lives for the end bit cause you have to kill yourself and even then its not guaranteed that Drake wouldn't glitch. He also glitched once on the stairs after that. :\

oh i feel your pain i had problems with monastery but london is IMO the most buggy map

Top Bottom