• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3: the single-player aiming problems thread [Details in Op, Please Read]

Status
Not open for further replies.

xion4360

Gooster said:
Wasn't Drake able to switch between right and left perspectives in Uncharted 2? If so, why the hell did they take it away? Unless there's a command I'm not inputing.

Turn it on in the options menu.

Just made it to Chapter 9. Aiming is fine. I'm actually pulling off more headshots than I was in U2 now that they added the ghost reticle bloom.

They do need to add the ability of raising the sensitivity more.

Gooster said:
Wasn't Drake able to switch between right and left perspectives in Uncharted 2? If so, why the hell did they take it away? Unless there's a command I'm not inputing.

Its in the options. Enable it.

test_account said:
How can people play with the highest aim sensitivity? :) I dont think there is a single PS3 game where i have actually increased the default aim sensitivity. I usually end up lowering it. In Uncharted 3 i lowered it one or two notch from default.

Its just preference. On console, I always play my games on the highest sensitivity.

test_account

XP-39C²
How can people play with the highest aim sensitivity? :) I dont think there is a single PS3 game where i have actually increased the default aim sensitivity. I usually end up lowering it. In Uncharted 3 i lowered it one or two notch from default.

test_account

XP-39C²
FantasticMrFoxdie said:
Its just preference. On console, I always play my games on the highest sensitivity.
That is true. For me personally, if the controllers are to sensitive, i usually keep moving the aim too much to the left or right, too hard for me to aim better if it is too sensitive :)

dwebo

Jocchan said:
If you mean switching shoulders with L3, you need to enable it in the options. No idea why it's disabled by default (or why you can disable it at all).
Meh, I accidentally switched shoulders far more often than I meant to in U2, so I'm glad it's off by default.

kneePat

dwebo said:
Meh, I accidentally switched shoulders far more often than I meant to in U2, so I'm glad it's off by default.

You should be glad there is an option for the feature, but turning it off by default is going to make many people think the feature is gone from the game.

revolverjgw said:
Or just tell them to load up their own game from a couple years ago. They had it perfect, and now it's not. How does that even happen?

You just answered your own question. If feature A was in past games of a franchise but is missing in latest title then removing/ modifying it was 100% intentional.

Chuck

Still without luck
I've been avoiding U3 threads, but I'm glad one was made with the only problem I have had with the game so far. I hope they patch this before my second playthrough.

Waaghals

hey_it's_that_dog said:
If that's the explanation why is UC3 different from UC2?

I don't think people are complaining that their bullets are inaccurate so much as the act of moving the reticule accurately feels different and more difficult than before.

It's not as simple as input device. We're talking about a difference between games using the same input device.

Right! I'm not stealth bashing gamepads as controllers. I had no problems with Uncharted 2. But aiming in U3 is a lot harder, and the reasons to me seems to be little aim assist, wonky sensitivity settings, both recoil and bloom on most weapons. This combined with enemies that move around a lot, makes using single-shot weapons a chore.

I'm so obsessed with the whole autoaim-thing because U3s controls feel like a lot of the early FPS on the first xbox/ps2 (Immediately post-Halo) like Unreal championship 1 and various medal of honor-games.

dwebo

kneePat said:
You should be glad there is an option for the feature, but turning it off by default is going to make many people think the feature is gone from the game.
Fair enough. I honestly don't remember if the option was even there before, just that it annoyed me. I'm sure ND had data suggesting more people preferred it off versus on, else why would they change the behavior, but it's a minor issue regardless.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
StoppedInTracks said:
You just answered your own question. If feature A was in past games of a franchise but is missing in latest title then removing/ modifying it was 100% intentional.
That's not true. Balancing often has unforeseen side effects on countless factors that may even seem unrelated at first.

Tom Penny

test_account said:

When your used to paying shooters with a mouse. Controllers are very slow.

Grisby

test_account said:
How can people play with the highest aim sensitivity? :) I don't think there is a single PS3 game where i have actually increased the default aim sensitivity. I usually end up lowering it. In Uncharted 3 i lowered it one or two notch from default.
I've never touched the sensitivity in a game before. UC3 is the first I've had to do it. And it stills feels weird.

zlatko

Banned
This is what made the gunplay for me in this game just atrocious. Sniping is impossible, and when you are playing on hard trying to just pop and shoot quick can be a hassle when you feel like you are trying to move a fucking truck going left to right to get precise shots.

They need to patch this ASAP.

Salmonax

Guess I'll hold off on picking this up. With a game as good as Uncharted, I want my first playthrough to be perfect. Fortunately, I'm only a third through Arkham City, so I can wait for this to be patched.

BruiserBear said:
I just can't see how they can claim it's the same. All of us cannot be crazy.

I never once felt the aiming was odd while playing through Uncharted 2 multiple times, but within minutes I could tell U3 felt different.
Well I think that all of you are crazy :). Maybe it's console specific or something.

I want to chime in and say that I completely agree with the aiming. While I am not going to stop playing the single player and not game breaking, it makes no sense to change it this drastically from U1 and U2. It is because of the heavy auto aim in conjunction with slow aiming speed.

I don't understand how U3 co op and multiplayer have it down pact but the single player feels completely different. A patch is must IMO. Like I said though the game is still fun and very enjoyable but it clearly is not up to Uncharted's high expectations of excellence. U3 should NEVER have a gameplay downgrade from U2.

test_account

XP-39C²
Tom Penny said:
When your used to paying shooters with a mouse. Controllers are very slow.
Its been quite a while since i played FPS on PC, but i used to play those a lot many years ago, and even then i used to lower the sensitivity :) I remember for example in Medal of Honor Allied Assault i needed to move my mouse several time to the side to do a 360 degree turn.

But yeah, it is just a personal preference, some people prefer this and some people prefer that :)

Grisby said:
I've never touched the sensitivity in a game before. UC3 is the first I've had to do it. And it stills feels weird.
To higher or lower sensitivity level?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I think I'll wait until this gets sorted out before picking up Uncharted 3. I'm super excited for the game and don't want to have frustrating control issues hurt my enjoyment of it. I'm pretty sensitive to this kind of stuff. Killzone 2, for example, was unplayable to me.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Someone should do an aim assist comparison with U2. Pan the camera at a constant speed till the crosshair meets a (possibly stationary) target and check how/if that affects camera turning speed.

Grisby

test_account said:
To higher or lower sensitivity level?
It's a few notches form the highest. I might increase it all the way tonight. I don't remember it being this weird in the subway mp. I need to see if its the same for multiplayer.

test_account

XP-39C²
Grisby said:
It's a few notches form the highest. I might increase it all the way tonight. I don't remember it being this weird in the subway mp. I need to see if its the same for multiplayer.
Ok, i see. It seems to be most about single player only from what i have read. I only tried a few matches online, but i didnt notice anything special in single player, so i cant really compare. I found it a bit difficult to aim some times in the single player, but nothing too major. I just thought it was mostly due to playing with a control and not having much auto aim :)

Flunkie

Banned
I probably wouldn't have noticed it if I didn't see this thread. Now I'm going to notice it and it will ruin it.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Flunkie said:
I probably wouldn't have noticed it if I didn't see this thread. Now I'm going to notice it and it will ruin it.

No, it will make you feel better. If it wasn't for this thread, you'd think you suck at shooters all of a sudden.

This is unless everyone is this thread actually suck at shooters :D

wrighty86

Neo Member
How do you change the aiming sensitivity. Not having probs with it but wanna know how I can have an option of changing it

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Idk if anyone mentioned this before but I think I figured out a reason for sloppy aiming in UC3.

Triple Buffering.

The UC3 summer beta didn't have it right? Can explain peoples aiming issues with the subway beta. Yeah I know UC2 had triple buffering and had no aiming problems which kind of confuses me since ND says the aiming is the same in UC2.

I just started the game and am at the part where you get into the tunnels and immediately noticed the wonky, accelerated, laggy aiming controls. Its also not just that, I feel like moving the camera, and jumping feel like a split second off, like you can feel the input lag.

Maybe at ND try testing the input lag with vsync disabled and check if that's the culprit.

Spasm

soulassssns said:
Yet you took the time to not only look in it but to also post your lame comment as well? Why look and definitely why post?
You just got AstroLadded.

Well, this gaming season is so packed, it's not going to hurt (too much) to just stop playing until it's fixed. I have faith in ND making it right. U3 interrupted my Batman anyhow.

Ra1den

It seems the overwhelming majority of people find the aiming to be terrible. This is not a small group or something. For every one person that is fine with it, there are 10 people that cannot stand it. How is ND not taking action?

Satchel

Banned
Are you guys seriously complaining about the aiming in an Uncharted game? Most know shooting has never been the games strength.

You sure some of you aren't just imagining things?

I haven't bought the 3rd yet, but I wasn't a fan of the aiming/shooting in the first 2 either.

Satchel said:
Are you guys seriously complaining about the aiming in an Uncharted game? Most know shooting has never been the games strength.

You sure some of you aren't just imagining things?

I haven't bought the 3rd yet, but I wasn't a fan of the aiming/shooting in the first 2 either.

(1) You are saying that about two-thirds of the contributors of this thread are collectively hallucinating a consistently-described problem.

(2) You are saying this having not actually played the game.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Mama Robotnik said:
(1) You are saying that about two-thirds of the contributors of this thread are collectively hallucinating a consistently-described problem.

(2) You are saying this having not actually played the game.

Lol. He couldn't have missed the point more if he tried.

TheExodu5

Banned
Wow...just played the game for a few hours. The aiming really is quite awful. There's no way Uncharted 2 squared off the aiming this much. There's like 45 degrees in the cardinal direction where diagonals are completely ignored. Awful. I really hope there isn't much shooting in the game, because this is unbearable.

To someone who beat the game (or just knows), how many chapters are there? Don't want spoilers, just want to know how much longer I got...

Aiming is definitely off, but it has been a non-issue for me.

TheExodu5

Banned
AwesomeSauce said:
Idk if anyone mentioned this before but I think I figured out a reason for sloppy aiming in UC3.

Triple Buffering.

The UC3 summer beta didn't have it right? Can explain peoples aiming issues with the subway beta. Yeah I know UC2 had triple buffering and had no aiming problems which kind of confuses me since ND says the aiming is the same in UC2.

I just started the game and am at the part where you get into the tunnels and immediately noticed the wonky, accelerated, laggy aiming controls. Its also not just that, I feel like moving the camera, and jumping feel like a split second off, like you can feel the input lag.

Maybe at ND try testing the input lag with vsync disabled and check if that's the culprit.
Input lag really isn't the issue here. The square off aiming and, to a lesser extent, the auto-aiming are the issues at hand.

Aeonin

God damn I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed this. Shooting just feels off. I'll leave it to people who have investigated the problem more to say exactly what it is - but combining it with enemies with perfect fucking aim (in the g'damn desert storm) pissed me off so bad.

jett

D-Member
AwesomeSauce said:

Triple Buffering.

Uncharted 3 has always had triple buffering. There are no aiming problems in multiplayer. Whatever aiming quirks there are in single-player they're done on purpose.

And are you fucking crazy? FUCK screen tearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom