• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3: the single-player aiming problems thread [Details in Op, Please Read]

Status
Not open for further replies.
JumpingTheGun said:
Its moments like this that really make me fucking love NeoGAF. Thanks for the support guys. Merry Fucking Christmas.
isn't all you are saying: "you guys suck, there is nothing wrong with the aiming".?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
JaxJag said:
Sometimes when someone is a fan of something, their love of the product just blinds them to anything negative towards said product.

Heh, and the funny thing is that we only want the game to be better. I just want my experience to be as good as it can be, and the niggling issues with the aiming are holding it back.

Abylim

JumpingTheGun said:
Its moments like this that really make me fucking love NeoGAF. Thanks for the support guys. Merry Fucking Christmas.

Wha?
You've done nothing but attack the people in this thread. You've shown no support for your fellow GAF'er here.
And christmas is still nearly two months away, I dont think you deserve opening ANYTHING earlier. Be grateful for a lump of cole.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
OK Thank god I'm not the only one who thought this. Not only does the aiming suck shit, it seems like headshots don't work? I dunno. I shoot a guy in the head and he should die, and that doesn't seem to be the case in this game.

I haven't read the whole thread, but has Arne chimed in on the reasoning behind the change? I can't imagine that it's too difficult to make it more precise like UC2. I tried UC2 a couple days before and there is a definite change. You get used to the new stuff after a while, but I am curious as to what the reasoning was.

hamchan

Mama Robotnik said:
When people are rationally, calmly discussing a consistent problem with the aiming in an orderly manner, construction is already underway for the Hall of Fame, mk2:

The concluding argument is apparently that every person enduring a problem with aiming has a thread-spawning attention deficit, has the game settings incorrectly configured, is sharing some consistent group hallucination, or simply "sucks". Problem solved, well done gentlemen.

Shameful list.

Should we all just state our skill levels so assholes stop calling us liars or bitching just to bitch? Hi, my name is Hamchan and I have finished Uncharted 1 twice, once on normal, the other on hard. I've also finished Uncharted 2 three times, on normal, hard and crushing.

I'm still breezing through and enjoying Uncharted 3 but the aiming is definitely weird compared to the first two games. As said before turning the sensitivity way up makes it better.

V_Ben

Banned
I just chalked it up to my usual inability to play shooters, but it did seem a bit off now that I think about it... scoped stuff was strange.

jett

D-Member
Aeonin said:
Strange question, but did you see or use the AK in SP at all? It was completely missing from my game.

The KAL-7 is the long rifle of the campaign. It's pretty much the same as the AK in previous UC games.

Muffdraul

JumpingTheGun said:

I basically agree with your position, i.e. I played Uncharted 3 SP last night up to chapter 8 and never noticed anything untoward about the aiming controls and had no problem hitting my targets.

But you're kinda being a prick about it, dontcha think?

crayman

Phew, thought I was going crazy. The moment I tried aiming a pistol it was obvious there is something seriously wrong. Feels like a 4-direction pad with a giant deadzone. Tweaking it to max helps slightly, but not enough. I am someone who turns up aiming sensitivity in pretty much every game I play though, so I guess if you are someone who generally turns down sensitivity it might be okay for you.

Anteater

hamchan said:
Shameful list.

Should we all just state our skill levels so assholes stop calling us liars or bitching just to bitch? Hi, my name is Hamchan and I have finished Uncharted 1 twice, once on normal, the other on hard. I've also finished Uncharted 2 three times, on normal, hard and crushing.

I'm still breezing through and enjoying Uncharted 3 but the aiming is definitely weird compared to the first two games. As said before turning the sensitivity way up makes it better.

We need to know your headshots per second

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Didn't Wario plat this no problem? Clearly he overcame any issues.

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
I haven't read the whole thread, but has Arne chimed in on the reasoning behind the change? I can't imagine that it's too difficult to make it more precise like UC2. I tried UC2 a couple days before and there is a definite change. You get used to the new stuff after a while, but I am curious as to what the reasoning was.

See third edit of the OP.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
worldrevolution said:
Didn't Wario plat this no problem? Clearly he overcame any issues.
yeah, you also have to do a bunch of headshots for it. I already have all of them and I really don't get how people cannot just adapt to it.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
I don't mind the aiming, really, took a little getting used to, but it's not really that difficult once you do. What I do think is a bit disappointing is that Drake's controls feel more clunky than they were previously, not quite as fast and fluid. Perhaps it's due to the large amount of new animations, no matter what direction I push the stick, there's some kind of "unique" animation that needs to play out. Turning on the spot is clunky, getting past other characters is clunky, it just feels less polished in the controls department than previously.

Also, why there's so little feedback on wether your shots hit the enemy is a mystery. Especially the armored guys, who can take several shots. All you see is blood splatter on their body, and they rarely move an inch. Also, I know larger thugs are supposed to be tougher to kill, but during a melee fight, I removed the pin on the grenade and pushed him back. The grenade exploded, but he didn't die. I think that's a bit excessive, he's probably tough, but nobody is that tough. He didn't even have any armor, he was just larger than the other guys.

Love that the puzzles actually requires some thought, at least enough to feel somewhat satisfying the very first time. It's not so obvious as the earlier games, and I think that some people may actually get stuck on some of the puzzles, if you're not used to those.

Marius_ said:
yeah, you also have to do a bunch of headshots for it. I already have all of them and I really don't get how people cannot just adapt to it.

One can adapt to most things, even straight up horrible camera angles in Ninja Gaiden II and other games.

I feel it's not a matter of "I can't play this way," but a more vague feeling of "why is this so annoying?".

Ra1den

I really hope this complaint isn't lumped into the same category as, say, people moaning about the walking controls in RE5. In that case, the controls were basically unchanged, and the influx of players new to the series made a stink about them not working like Gears of War.

This is nothing like that. We have a game running on mostly the same engine, in the same series, by the same developers, whose most recent entry, U2, had perfectly smooth shooting mechanics...and U3 uses these same shooting mechanics...but the IMPLEMENTATION is very different, and is very clunky, blocky, and imprecise compared to the prior entry. This is especially ridiculous considering that multiplayer does not have this problem. How can the friggin developers not be able to notice a difference, but so many of us random gamers noticed it immediately? This is absurd.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
RedRedSuit said:
One can adapt to most things, even straight up horrible camera angles in Ninja Gaiden II and other games.

I feel it's not a matter of "I can't play this way," but a more vague feeling of "why is this so annoying?".
Got it, but many here are projecting as if the game is broken and that most reviews got it wrong

This has to be a bug for some people and not others. As many have said, I noticed this the second I got the pistol. Even tried disabling stereo 3D straight away to see if it had something to do with that. I don't see how this could ever get past all the reviewers - it's really clunky.

Shelving this until it's fixed. It's too good a game to experience in this disabled state. It deserves better.

Ra1den

LemonGremlin said:
Shelving this until it's fixed. It's too good a game to experience in this disabled state.

Damn, you've got some willpower. I'm in chapter 8, was considering shelving it, but I just can't do it.

'Heaven Sniper

Neo Member
Yeah, the aiming is definitely off in Uncharted 3. You know it's a problem when I can pop off headshots more easily in Drake's Fortune. Fix this shit ND! Also, I don't know if it has to do with the new animation system, but Drake doesn't roll or move as smoothly from cover to cover as he did in Uncharted 2. He controls like a tank in firefights. Anyone else experiencing this problem?

Ra1den

Marius_ said:
Got it, but many here are projecting as if the game is broken and that most reviews got it wrong

It's not that they got the scores wrong, it's just shock at the fact that none of them mentioned this.

Shai-Tan

Banned
Ra1den said:
Damn, you've got some willpower. I'm in chapter 8, was considering shelving it, but I just can't do it.

I only played a few levels at a time of Uncharted 2 because I didn't want it to end :p It's not that big a deal to wait a bit. I think I get more enjoyment from spacing it out unless there's some ridiculous cliffhanger.

jackdoe

Ra1den said:
It's not that they got the scores wrong, it's just shock at the fact that none of them mentioned this.
Could it be something that popped up in retail copies that wasn't present in review copies?

Shai-Tan

Banned
Ra1den said:

we were discussing several reviews that mentioned some problems with it, just didn't blow up because we were all assuming the controls were exactly like U2

Tuck

Chapter 12. EDIT: Whoops wrong Uncharted Thread. Theres just so many.

So, the structure of the game is extremely different from U2. Its more adventurey, with a MUCH larger focus on puzzles and platforming. The shooting is insanely downplayed, and thats disappointing. But the puzzles are a big improvement except for the
complete the mural
puzzle. Hand to hand combat has also been given a significantly larger focus which strikes me as odd. Its fun, sure, but why does it need to be such a big role in the game?

Anyways, I'm really liking the game. I just wish there was more shooting.

linzin

Neo Member
Tuck said:
Chapter 12.

So, the structure of the game is extremely different from U2. Its more adventurey, with a MUCH larger focus on puzzles and platforming. The shooting is insanely downplayed, and thats disappointing. But the puzzles are a big improvement except for the
complete the mural
puzzle. Hand to hand combat has also been given a significantly larger focus which strikes me as odd. Its fun, sure, but why does it need to be such a big role in the game?

Anyways, I'm really liking the game. I just wish there was more shooting.

Actually, from 12 onward, the shooting takes on much, much more focus, and the puzzles damn near disappear.

Ra1den

Shai-Tan said:
we were discussing several reviews that mentioned some problems with it, just didn't blow up because we were all assuming the controls were exactly like U2

Oh, I must have missed those. Remember what was said and by whom? Couldn't hurt to have those in this thread or in the OT so Arne can see what's up.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
People are looking at this funny. "It's a bug." "Why didn't reviewers notice this?" etc. Like it's an obvious and objective "problem".

It's clearly a design decision, but one that's currently being backlashed against by the hardcore gaming community.

Normal people won't even notice.

But sure, I wouldn't mind a patch. I certainly don't think the controls are good like this. U2 was better.

Victrix

*beard*
Popping in to say fuck whoever designed the gun fights in the
shipwreck pirate
section. Jesus christ what an unfun bunch of instadeath glitchy ass bullshit.

Exacerbated by the shitty sluggish aiming.

Really put a damper on what was until that point an otherwise great experience, now I'm pissed off.

Ra1den

BocoDragon said:
People are looking at this funny. "It's a bug." "Why didn't reviewers notice this?" etc. Like it's an obvious and objective "problem".

It's clearly a design decision, but one that's currently being backlashed against by the hardcore gaming community.

But sure, I wouldn't mind a patch. I certainly don't think the controls are good like this. U2 was better.

I'm not so sure about that. They feel really sluggish and "off", ESPECIALLY if you have played U2. And if Joe Sixpack is playing U3, he probably also played U2.

kneePat

Mama Robotnik said:
The concluding argument is apparently that every person enduring a problem with aiming has a thread-spawning attention deficit, has the game settings incorrectly configured, is sharing some consistent group hallucination, or simply "sucks". Problem solved, well done gentlemen.

Yes exactly, leave it to people here to make me feel like a bad person for not liking the aiming in this game, Naughty Gods has created an army of diehard jihadists championing the game as the greatest thing sinced sliced bread and I'm the asshole because I think something is broken (different than what is was before which I LOVED)

and WTF, can I not say the aiming is different in this game anecdotally? How can anyone possibly have a problem with my personal experience, which MANY OTHERS ARE SHARING. We are not some anti-army created to defeat the hype and impressivenes of the mighty Uncharted, THE GAME HAS A PROBLEM, and it is downright frustrating.

ced

BocoDragon said:

Sorry BS. There is something broken, shit I'm "normal" and I'm waiting until it's fixed until I continue past Chap 6.

I would assume this is something that was not in the review builds and somehow snuck into the GM build.

kneePat

arne said:

edit nvm link works

Oh boy, why is the aiming different in multiplayer if the mechanics are so changed. Also, this change seems unnecessary since many people prefer the UC2 shooting mechanics. I don't know what to make of this and I bet many people won't like this response, is it possible to transfer the multiplayer settings into the single player.

ced

arne said:

I don't want to be an ass, or maybe I missed it, but that single player portion didn't mention the issue we're (or maybe just I'm) having with the aiming. There is something wrong with the analog controls getting the reticule to the target, not where the bullet shoots.

Hazanko

Banned
ced said:
I don't want to be an ass, or maybe I missed it, but that single player portion didn't mention the issue we're (or maybe just I'm) having with the aiming. There is something wrong with the analog controls getting the reticule to the target, not where the bullet shoots.

Yeah all it said on that page was that the guns fire different. My problem is that when aiming it doesn't feel precise and is sluggish. I have no problems with how guns fire in SP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom