• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 Story Trailer

Kinyou

I saw a post a while back saying UC4 looks closers to high quality CG and QB to real life and I think I agree with em now. Not a knock on UC4 it looks insane, but I think it's near CG while QB goes for a more natural look.
Here's a gif to show you what I mean.
GtK1RflU1vrQA.gif

Both look fantastic, but with different styles. I think theyre on par with one another in a way but slightly beat one another in certain things visually.
Uncharted definitely has overall still a bit more of a stylized look while Quantum Break is pretty much forced to go as close to the actors as possible since it has a bunch of live action sequences.

I can't. I CAN'T. This is giving me chills like the intro to the Killzone 2 demo that I restarted multiple times because I couldn't believe it was running on my PS3. WTF Naughty Dog, lol.

I think there are moments in Quantum Break which look almost like real life (cutscenes) but uncharted 4 just looks incredible.

Yeah, QB looks great but also is attempting to match the live-action actors and the cutscenes combine realtime and video to look as good as they do. Uncharted does have it's own style and looks incredible consistently because of it.

The artist has already said he didn't know about it.
That picture may subject to change in the final game. Probably ND wasn't sure if they would keep that image in the full game so they didn't contact the artist.

Also, I hope we won't derail this thread any further.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
The whole debate is ridiculous, because we do not have the final game. And it will probably be removed, obviously.

And? You can't just use art without permission. Period. Could it be a mistake? Absolutely, but it doesn't excuse it. They have yet to issue a statement. You can't use songs on YouTube vids without permission. Its no different with art. Especially on such a big video.

MayMay

Banned
That picture may subject to change in the final game. Probably ND wasn't sure if they would keep that image in the full game so they didn't contact the artist.

You don't put something that's "subject to change" into your big last trailer. Especially not if it's stolen artwork. They could've just used a different shot or something.

It's clear ND were not aware that the image was stolen, someone from one of their outsourcing studios probably took a shortcut (and is now gonna get a really angry phone call lmao)

Kinyou

And what if it was just a trailer EE, and not in the final game?
Just taking an asset and putting it into your game doesn't make it an Easter egg. Maybe they stole it or it was just a simple error with forgetting to remove a placeholder, but there's no way this was deliberately done as Easter egg.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
And? You can't just use art without permission. Period. Could it be a mistake? Absolutely, but it doesn't excuse it. They have yet to issue a statement. You can't use songs on YouTube vids without permission. Its no different with art. Especially on such a big video.

The only person who has a right to get worked up about to such extents I have witnessed here or the web, is the original artist/content holder. Seriously, lol.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Maybe it was locked for a reason? Bringing the discussion back here seems silly. Be pretty pissed off if this got locked too. Can the artist and dev get mad first before you guys jump the gun at least

They did get mad they called them out on twitter. They're the ones who spotted it.

I saw a post a while back saying UC4 looks closers to high quality CG and QB to real life and I think I agree with em now. Not a knock on UC4 it looks insane, but I think it's near CG while QB goes for a more natural look.
GtK1RflU1vrQA.gif

Both look fantastic, but with different styles. I think theyre on par with one another in a way but slightly beat one another in certain things visually.

I'm not sure I agree. Maybe it's because I'm on my phone right now but this gif and even previous QB previews I've seen have shown the game to be stylized to a degree that UC4 isn't. UC has a really colorful art style but it's still always looked more natural to me then QB, which looks quite "gamey", even in that gif.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
The only person who has a right to get worked up about to such extents I have witnessed here or the web, is the original artist/content holder. Seriously, lol.

What you're failing to grasp isn't that people are worked up over a 1 second clip of some bodies art. Its the double standard because of how much people love ND they are doing everything to give them a pass. If it was a different dev I know this would play differently, especially somebody like EA or ubi.

Man i have watch that trailer so many times .
Can't get over how great the games looks .
Nate is going to go out in what can be one hell of a game.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
Can we stop the talk about the concept art debate?

The other thread seems to be unlocked, let's debate that subject there.

GtK1RflU1vrQA.gif

nah, animations look off.

sjay1994

I feel like ND will probably reach out and apologize to the ubisoft artist. They did the same for Cameron Booth, since they placed his map of Boston into the last of us without his permission.

“I’ve just spoken with Naughty Dog over the phone in a very constructive conversation,” he said. “Can’t say more at the moment, but it seems as if matters will be resolved to everyone’s satisfaction shortly. I can say that they do acknowledge their error in using my map and were very apologetic for it. I likewise apologised for my initial vitriolic post. A lot of mutual respect for each other’s creative work.”

Honestly though, considering this is the second time something like this happened, ND needs to be more careful when grabbing images of search engines.

LOL comparing an avatar on a public forums vs. A video that will get millions of views and is used for financial gain. The level of ridiculousness has reached critical mass.

Holy shit... Take a joke. I have Drake as my avatar too, bloody hell, people are so uptight these days.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
What you're failing to grasp isn't that people are worked up over a 1 second clip of some bodies art. Its the double standard because of how much people love ND they are doing everything to give them a pass. If it was a different dev I know this would play differently, especially somebody like EA or ubi.

Double standards are in all forms of entertainment when there is a collective of various fans.

You act as if this only applies to ND. Again, getting pissy, or not getting pissy has no bearing on the incident (a waste of emotional energy). It is between ND and the artist truthfully.

Both Sony and MSFT make marketing mistakes when advertising games (using an image from a game not even on their system, etc). They correct them, and move on.

I think people are putting too much weight in this, in the same way you think people are giving the "free pass". Yes I agree it should be adjusted, but the 'raking over the coals' I am seeing, hahaha, just, hahaha.

On a side note...

How would this differ from showing a picture of a Van Gogh painting, or Mono Lisa in a game out of curiosity?

They reuploaded the trailer with changed art

shutup2szd2.png

All fixed.

Time to move on.

I mean, that tweet is over reacting, but there is no way that picture is meant to be an easter egg to AC4. My guess is ND probably just used a search engine to find Caribbean artwork and popped it in. There was a similar debacle with a map in the Last of Us.
I see. I mean, whatever the case, I'm sure naughty dog didn't put it there for selfish/malicious intent. this goes without saying that they're perfectly capable of generating their own art like that.
would it be treated as an easter egg if it was the other way around? I don´t think so, Ubi would be burned to death.
by who? since you threw the hypothetical scenario out there, if it were the other way around i'd just be like "oh cool, an uncharted easter egg in assassin's creed...and it's madd random too" just like this one now.
Ignore that dude. He is pathetic.
tim dog? I feel like I heard of him but don't really know much about him

Top Bottom