• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted is a legit great TPS (mechanics, encounters, level design)

No worries.

I'll quote myself from the other page.

*Tips hat*

I'll see you in the UC4 OT. ;)

Fletcher that's not a good way of thinking though. That's how all comparisons are made. Nothing is exactly the same as something else. Captain America Civil War and Batman V Superman are very different but we compare them. We can compare anything. If you draw the line between two third person shooters then what can you compare honestly? Sure they're different but at the end of the day you have a gun, youre shooting people with it, and it's in third person.

I made a short UC4 video that shows the variety and choice that the player has when executing a combat encounter. No real spoiler aside from the simple location. This is on hard difficulty.

(oh and auto-aim off obviously lol)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmhuAOgFI1A

I'd like to see more of these kinds of encounters that don't involve the player going black and white every time they do something cool.

In that video there were two times the screen went black and white, both times based upon using mobility options and the rope, as usual with most of the videos and GIFs that show off the combat. The game negatively reinforces using the coolest elements of the sandbox. Stealth kills and quick hit and run tactics from stealth or outside of anybody's line of sight are the order of the day.

And that's on Hard. On Crushing, during a rope-swing you're guaranteed to be near death and once you land, one shot will end you. Try rope-swinging at the end of Scotland with the snipers on Crushing, good luck not sticking to cover in that escape section ;)

I really hate how the stealth on Crushing, you can be hiding in a bush, not moving at all, and your allies can make you get spotted. It's entirely out of your hands. You can't order them to stay in one place. Sometimes there's the oblivious AI from The Last Of Us where enemies don't notice allies running past them, but during stealth they're a hindrance and don't take out enemies as often as you'd like them to if they're hiding in the bush with you. It's just inconsistent.

Yes OP. Yes! Movement.

Given this lecture myself, many times.

The "unfair" combat some speak of with UC games is all about their inability to move.

When you move and play it like the dynamic and exciting TPS it is, it has no peers, imo.

It's generally vastly underrated for it's gunplay, as a series.

I never did get the hate that some people have for Uncharted's combat. Now it might not have the tightest cover shooting mechanics ever, they were never really bad, even in U1.

I think some of the problems came from the DS3 sticks and the deadzones. I always found the 360 pad to be a better in that department but even so, U1, 2 and 3 have always played well enough.

The PS4's DS4 sticks are much better too so that definitely helps and Uncharted 4 has refined and improved the combat so much, it's easily the best it's ever been, with much tighter controls.

The flow of combat has improved so much too, thanks to the bigger, open level design, which allows for smooth transition from running, jumping, climbing, rope swinging, sliding and hiding / stealth, all while in combat. So satisfying.

garyizraw

Banned
After i got past the visuals i believe the game is average as a whole, TLOU is way better in combat to me by thats my opinion

Fletcher that's not a good way of thinking though. That's how all comparisons are made. Nothing is exactly the same as something else. Captain America Civil War and Batman V Superman are very different but we compare them. We can compare anything. If you draw the line between two third person shooters then what can you compare honestly? Sure they're different but at the end of the day you have a gun, youre shooting people with it, and it's in third person.

While I appreciate your point and respect it, I don't like comparing games that try to do totally different things - even if they are in the same genre.

I get it though, if you take my train of thought to the logical extreme you'll never compare anything because no two games are trying to achieve the same thing.

And that's a valid point but I do think you have to use a bit of common sense.

Gears of War is all about shooting. Uncharted is an action adventure game with shooting scenarios. One is a sci-if shooter with monsters, the other is a pulpy Indianna Jones-style blockbuster.

The former has much a deeper gun game because it's all about killing things. It's hard to compare the two.

Now, ask me which plays better Gears of War and Spec Ops and we can have a discussion because their general design has more in common.

I appreciate your point though.

Thanks for fighting the good fight OP. That sizable online presence that's quick to say the shooting is "passable", "serviceable", "worst part of the game lolz" makes me feel like what it does well goes under appreciated. And I'm sick of it! :p

I like the mix of heavy enemies (or bullet sponges as some say, an enemy type which most games have), shotgun enemies, snipers, and light enemies because dealing with them and managing your threats can be like a puzzle.

The on the fly decision making and improvisation is thrilling; the level design and set pieces really push you to use your traversal, melee, stealth, and weapons in creative ways. (UC2 being the best example of this) And the carnival of explosions, bullets whizzing, and chaos while it all plays out is unlike any game.

UC4 really builds on the core and takes it to another level. If you're not going to give UC1-3 its TPS props, you're gonna have to at least give them to UC4.

Top Bottom