• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Beat it. Loved it, mostly. Felt kind of "oh god dammit, why do developers always have to mess up the end with this rubbish" and got flashbacks from Far Cry when the Spaniards appeared. But it wasn't all that bad. In fact it made for some variation, particularly when you face them and the standard enemies at the same time. So it turned out kinda coo.

What did bother me though was Nathan's apparent inability to grab onto things like ladders and ropes. Don't know how many times I fell into pits and whatnots because of it...and the damn vines... And technically it wasn't quite as polished as I thought it'd be. There's ocassional texture pop-in, tearing and framerate drops.

But none of that is enough to deter from the awesomely charming appeal the game has. Now I just want to unlock the cheats already.

There are so many games but I got around of buying Uncharted yesterday, finally.

I'm at chapter 5 now (the fortress) and man what a great game is this. OK, only downside is that pretty much everything I've done up until this point I've already seen on screenshots and in movies, but still, it's a lot of fun. The movement, fighting, climbing, it all feels top notch, and the thing that really stands out for me is the voice acting.

Kittonwy

Banned
Moz La Punk said:
There are so many games but I got around of buying Uncharted yesterday, finally.

I'm at chapter 5 now (the fortress) and man what a great game is this. OK, only downside is that pretty much everything I've done up until this point I've already seen on screenshots and in movies, but still, it's a lot of fun. The movement, fighting, climbing, it all feels top notch, and the thing that really stands out for me is the voice acting.

The controls is sweet in this game. ~_~

Kittonwy

Banned
VibratingDonkey said:
Beat it. Loved it, mostly. Felt kind of "oh god dammit, why do developers always have to mess up the end with this rubbish" and got flashbacks from Far Cry when the Spaniards appeared. But it wasn't all that bad. In fact it made for some variation, particularly when you face them and the standard enemies at the same time. So it turned out kinda coo.

What did bother me though was Nathan's apparent inability to grab onto things like ladders and ropes. Don't know how many times I fell into pits and whatnots because of it...and the damn vines... And technically it wasn't quite as polished as I thought it'd be. There's ocassional texture pop-in, tearing and framerate drops.

But none of that is enough to deter from the awesomely charming appeal the game has. Now I just want to unlock the cheats already.

Go ahead, the medals system is cool and the rewards are cool, how many treasures have you found so far? ^_^

Kittonwy

Banned
Moz La Punk said:
You didn't ask me but I found around 10 treasures up until now. Is that a good average for being at the start of the fortress?

That's pretty good, I didn't find all the treasures on my first playthrough either. ^_^

Oh I'm not planning to find them all anyway ;) I play games for a profession and I have far too much to do to be a completist haha.

Anyway I'm really enjoying the ride. I have to wait till tomorrow evening to play further damnit! And then I have to play through the last two Ratchet n Clank levels, get 40 more stars in Mario Galaxy, play God of War 2 and Crysis... gah! Heeeeelp

Kittonwy

Banned
Moz La Punk said:
Oh I'm not planning to find them all anyway ;) I play games for a profession and I have far too much to do to be a completist haha.

Anyway I'm really enjoying the ride. I have to wait till tomorrow evening to play further damnit! And then I have to play through the last two Ratchet n Clank levels, get 40 more stars in Mario Galaxy, play God of War 2 and Crysis... gah! Heeeeelp

That's alright as long as you enjoy the game.
gladtomeetya.gif

Raist

Banned
Well, played the game a bit today, as I hadn't in a while. Now up to chap. 12, with 27 treasures found. Got a bunch of medals too, but I'm not really hunting those down, yet.

Fantastic game. Really, really gorgeous. And I LOVE the characters. Just met Eddie, he's awesome :lol

Oh, and the jeep chase sequence was mindblowing. The jet ski part was ok IMO. Nothing great, but not boring either.

Chapter 12? I hope there's more than that. I'm on chapter 6 now and the game says Im 43 percent through it. The timer says I played 2,5 hours in total. That's... not a whole lot of game.

Still, I'd rather play a short spectacular game instead of a long boring one.

Kittonwy said:
Go ahead, the medals system is cool and the rewards are cool, how many treasures have you found so far? ^_^
24 or something. Played through it just picking up the ones I saw, didn't bother actually searching for them much. But the rewards are indeed quite cool, so I will.

The jet ski part was ok IMO. Nothing great, but not boring either.
Oh yeah, the jet ski upstreaming was a bit annoying. You'd think all vehicle sections would be full on woohoo-action like the Jeep, but with the jet ski you have to be really cautious, which kinda puts a wet blanket on things. And sometimes you get pushed into corners and the camera and stuff gets a bit messy.

Basch said:
Well, isn't this a surprise? Uncharted: Drake's Fortune just won IGN's PS3 Game of the Year Award.

Interesting indeed, since IGN gave Game of the Month to Call of Duty 4, which so happens to be the 360's Game of the Year. Interesting indeed. :D Quite confusing actually. Oh, well. Let's celebrate! Yeah for Uncharted.

Our victory dance! Join in. :D

Want to hear more awesome stuff? It actually garnered the most awards, winning five of the twenty-three awards, including: Best Action Game, Best Graphics Technology, Best Original Score, Best Story, and, obviously, Game of the Year. The only other two games that came close are Call of Duty 4 and Rock Band with three each. What a shocking win! ND take it in. This is your time for making such an amazing game. Congratulations! Oh yeah, I'm sure there are others around here who will also give you the Game of the Year nods. Well done.

In yet another shocking turn of events, Insomniac was named Best Developer: another win for the big three. Good job everyone.

By contrast, over at Gamespot, Uncharted was shut out of every single category. Boo.

Ratchet was only nominated for best platformer, but given that there's only 4 nominees it seems that field was narrow this year (and it includes Super Mario Galaxy). Sigh.

Basch

Lemming_JRS said:
By contrast, over at Gamespot, Uncharted was shut out of every single category. Boo.

Ratchet was only nominated for best platformer, but given that there's only 4 nominees it seems that field was narrow this year (and it includes Super Mario Galaxy). Sigh.

But I never liked Banspot in the first place. :D Plus, I think its time in the light is over. Too many poor journalists. If Uncharted was shut out of every award, then Banspot is biased. How can you not award Best Graphics to Uncharted? Best Action game? You know what, f*** it. Banspot is dead to me.

In other news, Gamespy named Uncharted 2nd Best PS3 Game, barely losing out to Call of Duty 4. I'm sure it is just a matter of time before more awards come in.

Continue the victory dance. :D

patsu

Lemming_JRS said:

With their recent fiasco about advertising dollar affecting reviews, they have lost a lot of credibility. Did they explain why Uncharted was shut out ?

Kittonwy

Banned
Lemming_JRS said:

Me no like dem gamespot. Uncharted is PS3 GOTY no contest.
Indifferent2.gif

Basch

Don't get too excited. I'm just reposting the review archive for all to see. This is how the media has been treating this game.

Review Archive said:
British Gaming Blog 10/10
Digital Spy 10/10
gameplayer 10/10
GameCell UK 10/10
Games Asylum 10/10
GamerNL 10/10
GamerTV 10/10
Gaming Console Network 10/10
PLAY 10/10
Snackbar Games 10/10
Console Monster 9.8/10
Game Chronicles 9.8/10
Game Vortex 9.8/10
Cheat Codes Central 9.6/10
Extreme Gamer 9.5/10
Game Freaks 365 9.5/10
LoadingReality 9.5/10
Loot Ninja 9.5/10
PCN 9.5/10
PS3Fanboy 9.5/10
PS3style 9.5/10
Tripletags 9.5/10
Wonderwall Web 9.5/10
ZT Game Domain 9.5/10
Ripten 9.4/10
PS3Advanced 9.3/10
WorthPlaying 9.3/10
Gamer 2.0 9.2/10
GamingNexus 9.1/10
IGN 9.1/10
Computer and Video Games 9/10
Da GameBoyz 9/10
Deeko 9/10
EUROGAMER 9/10
Famitsu 36/40
Final Boss Brazil 9/10
GameDaily 9/10
GameRevolution 9/10
GamerNode 9/10
GamerTM 9/10
GamesAreFun 9/10
Gamespy 9/10
GameTap 9/10
Gamezone 9/10
Gaming Age 9/10
Just Press Play 9/10
Kikizo 9/10
Lawrence 9/10
Maxi Consolas 9/10
Palgn 9/10
PlayStation Official Magazine UK 9/10
Project Tideas 9/10
PS3 Informer 9/10
PSU 9/10
PSW Magazine UK 9/10
PSXExtreme 9/10
Sydney Morning Herald 9/10
Tech2.com 9/10
Trusted Reviews 9/10
UGO 9/10
YahooGames 9/10
Videogameplayerz 9/10
Atomic Gamer 8.9/10
Gametrailers 8.9/10
IGN AU 8.9/10
PSM3 Magazine 8.9/10
Vandal.net 8.9/10
TGR 8.8/10
DailyGame 8.8/10
Gameinformer 8.75
Electronic Gaming Monthly 8.5/10
GamePro 8.5/10
1UP 8.5/10
TotalPlayStation 8.5/10
IGN UK 8.4/10
Edge Magazine 8/10
GamesRadar 8/10
Banspot 8/10 :D
HonestGamers 8/10
PlayStation: The Official Magazine (US) 8/10
Videogamer 8/10
X-Play 8/10

Average: 91.18%
Number of Listings: 82

All ratings have been converted to a ten point scale to make life easier. The only listings to not have links are magazines.

SRG01

My brother is coming home for Christmas. I might just sit him in front of Uncharted and let him play it to keep him entertained. :lol

Yoboman

Gold Member
Lemming_JRS said:

Wow, it wasn't even nominated for best graphics. Nor music, nor voice acting, nor best new character? Nothing?

Just. Wow.

diddlyD

Banned
did anyone else notice that the story had some really bad transitions in it? for example, the part where you're
trying to find elena after you both parachute out of the plane, and when you finally get to her, you see her on a cliff overlooking the ocean with two thugs sneaking up on her from behind, so you shoot at them from your balcony, then all the sudden everything explodes around you and you're in jail.
i was like wtf just happened?

there were a couple other situations like this too.

Kittonwy

Banned
SRG01 said:
My brother is coming home for Christmas. I might just sit him in front of Uncharted and let him play it to keep him entertained. :lol

You better make sure he doesn't take your PS3 and Uncharted when he leaves.
Indifferent2.gif

Kittonwy

Banned
diddlyD said:
did anyone else notice that the story had some really bad transitions in it? for example, the part where you're
trying to find elena after you both parachute out of the plane, and when you finally get to her, you see her on a cliff overlooking the ocean with two thugs sneaking up on her from behind, so you shoot at them from your balcony, then all the sudden everything explodes around you and you're in jail.
i was like wtf just happened?

there were a couple other situations like this too.

You could only take out one of the dudes and the other dude also had a grenade launcher so that's why you were captured.

Indifferent2.gif

diddlyD

Banned
Kittonwy said:
You could only take out one of the dudes and the other dude also had a grenade launcher so that's why you were captured.

Indifferent2.gif

it happened really abruptly, thought it was a glitch at first. i'm just nitpicking.

Raist

Banned
Credits are rolling. Awesome music.

Yeah, just beaten it. 9 hours and 1 minute, 510 medal points and 45 or so treasures found.

HOLY SHIT.

ND f'in delivers. The 5 last chapters or so are so intense it's not even funny.
The game keeps throwing new environments at your face, with gfx that look better and better IMO. The atmosphere is sooo well done.
The corridors in the nazi bunker for instance
. Man that was excellent. Oh, and the
treasure room, where the bad guy gets pwned
looked incredible also.
And the music... my god. It's really good, and perfectly fits the game.
And the cutscenes are extremely well directed, the VA is very nice (in French. Also played a bit in English, and it's as good, if not better)

I simply CANNOT understand how this game can be scored lower than 9. I refuse to accept this. Or people that gave it this score didn't play the whole game.

I absolutely loved the ending (i mean the 2 last chapters), felt so much like your classic Indy movie.

Thank you very much ND, and I'm looking forward to the sequel.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Raist said:

Yeah, just beaten it. 9 hours and 1 minute, 510 medal points and 45 or so treasures found.

HOLY SHIT.

ND f'in delivers. The 5 chapters or so are so intense it's not even funny.
The game keeps throwing new environments at your face, with gfx that look better and better IMO. The atmosphere is sooo well done.
looked incredible also.
And the cutscenes are extremely well directed, the VA is very nice (in French. Also played a bit in English, and it's as good, if not better)

I simply CANNOT understand how this game can be scored lower than 9. I refuse to accept this. Or people that gave it this score didn't play the whole game.

I absolutely loved the ending (i mean the 2 last chapters), felt so much like your classic Indy movie.

That dude gets me pumped since my copy either arrives today or Monday so I will tear through that game.

LowParry

I beat it a while back ago. Twice. The game really really reminds me of thos Mummy movies which I really like to watch. The game is great. I was a doubter at first so I went to do the renter option. After about a couple of hours of playing, I took it back and went for my local Gamestop. The game fantastic. Will I play it all the time? Not really. Once a month? Absolutely. It's just like a movie that I'll enjoy. Props to ND. Hope they make a second one. The characters I enjoyed, the music, the gameplay. all of it. I'd give it a solid 9.

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed
i saved uncharted for christmas. I'm 4 hours into it.......

It's an experience I wont forget. First time my jaw dropped this gen. And its on ps3

I just finished the game myself the other night.

Wowy-wow-wow. Definitely PS3 GOTY for me, but that's a very tough call considering Warhawk and Ratchet are also two of my favourite titles this year.

Spectacular from start to finish, though. My only gripe throughout the whole game was
the final "battle" with Navarro. That last bit just didn't feel very inspired gameplay-wise for being the big finale.

Dibbz

Pai Pai Master said:

Wowy-wow-wow. Definitely PS3 GOTY for me, but that's a very tough call considering Warhawk and Ratchet are also two of my favourite titles this year.

Spectacular from start to finish, though. My only gripe throughout the whole game was
the final "battle" with Navarro. That last bit just didn't feel very inspired gameplay-wise for being the big finale.
I suppose the whole build up, gunning all the guards down was kinda crap, but the final fight was pretty good. The fact you had no gun and had to solely rely on cover and punching was a nice touch. Plus the bit when he drops his gun and goes to reach it. I looked and though shit I'm not going to make it, ran at him still but just before I could punch him he got me :( Tried it again, and bam got him easily. It was really satisfying imo.

I'm towards the end of the game on my second play through
after turning on the generator
and have only unlocked 25 of the treasures. Man I suck at finding stuff. Hoping the last part of the game is filled with over 30 of the remaining treasures. :/

Raist

Banned
Dibbz said:
Hoping the last part of the game is filled with over 30 of the remaining treasures. :/

Keep hoping :p

I thought I was doing very well, but in the last chapters I honestly barely found any treasures. So either most of them are in the first half of the game, or they are really well hidden in the last ones. There's also one that I saw, but have no idea how to catch it
in the labyrinth level with a million paths, and this whole II, V, VII stuff

Kittonwy

Banned
Pai Pai Master said:

It's my PS3 GOTY too my tarutaru friend.
Indifferent2.gif

I hope Uncharted 2 will have some really nice boss fights. I can't get enough of the gunplay.

ZeroEdge

Raist said:

Totally agree the game is simply awesome, I just got my copy for xmas and I am half way through as I type this. I just can't understand why this game hasn't been getting more good press, or better reviews. Uncharted along with Mass Effect are easily my favorite games this year.

Raist said:

HOLY SHIT.

looked incredible also.

i dont trust ppl with a Kz2 avatar.

Raist said:

HOLY SHIT.

looked incredible also.

Great write up bro my exact thoughts.

Nice coming back to the thread and seeing so many people digging the game its a experience that really shouldnt be missed by anyone.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
My save says I'm at 74% and I don't know if I'm going to bother finishing it. The core shooter gameplay simply doesn't cut it, and the melee is about two decades past its sell-by date. The way the game handles enemy damage is unacceptable to the point that it's a consistent distraction. In general, I feel completely disconnected from combat thanks in no small part to the flimsy feel of the gunplay. It's unfortunate that some well-designed levels fall flat through no fault of their own (some sections would work great in Gears). In addition to the shortcomings of combat, much of the design feels archaic to me: exploding barrels, pull-this-switch-to-open-a-door puzzles, challenge-free platforming, invisible enemy triggers, goofy AI, etc.

ND's gameplay people are not up to par with their art/technical people.

Dragon

Banned
DjangoReinhardt said:
My save says I'm at 74% and I don't know if I'm going to bother finishing it. The core shooter gameplay simply doesn't cut it, and the melee is about two decades past its sell-by date. The way the game handles enemy damage is unacceptable to the point that it's a consistent distraction. In general, I feel completely disconnected from combat thanks in no small part to the flimsy feel of the gunplay. It's unfortunate that some well-designed levels fall flat through no fault of their own (some sections would work great in Gears). In addition to the shortcomings of combat, much of the design feels archaic to me: exploding barrels, pull-this-switch-to-open-a-door puzzles, challenge-free platforming, invisible enemy triggers, goofy AI, etc.

Not sure what you mean about the melee. As far as the shooting gameplay I'm also unclear what you mean. I think people get confused and think when the guy reacts after you miss him with a shot; that doesn't mean that he's hit, he's reacting to the shot. That confused me when I played the demo but then I got the hang of it.

I liked the platforming elements, but I do agree on the puzzles, but then again this isn't Alundra or Wild Arms, this game is about moving towards the next goal and killing the guys in whatever way you want to, in order to accomplish that.

The AI is fine, and I'm not sure how you get around triggers in this sort of game.

patsu

DjangoReinhardt said:

The enemy AI is the best draw for me. The gunplay feels "real" and nasty, but it's not an alien encounter or war game.

If you stop at 74%, you may miss 50% of the meat (something like that). There are more to see in second half of the game.

I agree with you that there are still room for improvement in the gameplay area (e.g., more gameplay variety like stealth, online, ...), but I think those are rather open ended. Given the time they had, this is as good as it gets. I am very glad I bought it.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
DjangoReinhardt said:

Aim better?

You are confusing the enemy reacting to a bullet whizzing by their head as actually being a hit. It is not. You missed. Shoot again. Also, I reckon that you are staying in the same spot trying to pick off the enemy - I suggest you move around and use all cover available.

SRG01

reilo said:
Aim better?

You are confusing the enemy reacting to a bullet whizzing by their head as actually being a hit. It is not. You missed. Shoot again. Also, I reckon that you are staying in the same spot trying to pick off the enemy - I suggest you move around and use all cover available.

Yes.

If you hit the enemy in the head, they will die instantly.

antiloop

Lemming_JRS said:

That's sad. ;(

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i didn't like the final sequence either. but a lot of these shooters have trouble incorporating a bosslike endgame encounter, and uncharted is hardly the worst offender. i'm not sure why so many of these games end on a discordant note -- thinking through these more organic shooters, the only one that successfully changes things up at the end is halo 1

Top Bottom