• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Septimus

Took a shot of the credits with that part, a little hard to read since it's from YouTube, but you should be able to.
82wm1ci.png

Basch

Dibbz said:
Woah seriously?
I love this little network that Sony has going on here with the 1st party devs. Well most of them are pretty much 1st party, right?

I believe all of them are first party except for Ready at Dawn. I too enjoy very the interaction between the developers. I guess it helps that I like pretty much all the studios listed in the credits screen capture.

Dibbz said:
One problem that really does kinda bug me if the movement and jumping. Its's not really fluid and is really jerky sometimes, like when you make a sudden move. The animation just kinda swithces, there is no flow/tween between them.

This was a choice Naughty Dog made. They did not want to incorporate an overly fluid system of animations because of the ultimatum of losing responsiveness. There is no way for computers, at this time, to predict when you want to jump. Computers cannot read your mind. So, it is hard to show when Nathan should get ready to jump based on this principle. They decided to go with responsiveness and allowed the computer to perform the animations once a button was pressed.

Dibbz said:
The thing about jumping is sometimes when you try jumping, Drake will only jump so high, which is normal. When jumping onto ledges though, he can make massive leaps from the floor right the way up some place high. also when jumping gaps the game might run a little jump animation, but Drake shoots across the screen, because the gap is pretty big. It just looks really funny and wierd at the same time.

Not dynamic enough? Hm, could be a valid criticism. ND I know you guys are prefectionists. You can do it. :D

Dibbz said:
I'm not the only one who sees this am I? Don't get all defensive on me now guys, I just want to know what you think about this.

I haven't actually played the game, yet, but soon will. I don't think anybody will jump on you for posting some questions with some sense behind it. It was a nice change. Enjoy.

nerbo

sleeping_dragon said:
so we finally beat the post counst of the Super Mario Galaxy thread considering that we gave them 13 days headstart, this prove that this game is no bomba. congrat GAF and ND.
:lol wtf

nerbo

I don't think most people base their game (or console) purchases based off the number of posts in a GAF thread, but maybe, someone, somewhere out there, is looking at the Uncharted thread versus the Mario Galaxy thread and saying, "DAMN look at all those posts! I am buying Uncharted! Up yours, plumber boy!" :lol

Basch

nerbo said:
I don't think most people base their game (or console) purchases based off the number of posts in a GAF thread, but maybe, someone, somewhere out there, is looking at the Uncharted thread versus the Mario Galaxy thread and saying, "DAMN look at all those posts! I am buying Uncharted! Up yours, plumber boy!" :lol

Hell, yeah! :lol And that is how the Wii will fall. GAF decides everything. :D

Sushen

deepbrown said:
Woah amazing pics...you have a great capture card! We need more!

Oh and someone at B3D has said Uncharted is at 400k worldwide...isn't that quite impressive?
Not bad for a game that is based on ripped off ideas. I played the demo and they did a decent job at emulating Gears cover system/shooting system with left shoulder for aiming in and right shoulder for shooting. Hack, they even "borrowed" point of interest button from Gears and D-Pad weapon selection. It was surprising that they didn't also "borrow" active reload.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Sushen said:
Not bad for a game that is based on ripped off ideas. I played the demo and they did a decent job at emulating Gears cover system/shooting system with left shoulder for aiming in and right shoulder for shooting. Hack, they even "borrowed" point of interest button from Gears and D-Pad weapon selection. It was surprising that they didn't also "borrow" active reload.

oh please. nothing is original. take your head out of your ass.

not to mention people like things that are familiar to them, but are different in slight ways. Uncharted is no different than any other game that "borrows" from its genre.

as if that were a euphemism for espionage or some sort of patent stealing that is filed with the US Patent Office under "game that has guy hiding behind walls and then shooting people"

Dibbz

Basch said:
I haven't actually played the game, yet, but soon will. I don't think anybody will jump on you for posting some questions with some sense behind it. It was a nice change. Enjoy.
Cool thanks for the awesome reply.

About the animation though, they could have done similar to Assasin's Creed. Where basically you can hold the jump button whilsts running, but until you get to an edge you won't jump.

I heard they ran into trouble with motion capturing and their animations, so I've just kinda assumed that the 'problems' stem from that.

And holy crap Zipper helped too! Oh man Socom better rock like this. Plus Incognito is on there. Didn't they kinda dissolve? Looks like they didn't, unless they helped out a while back. :/

Oh shit, and Sucker Punch. Too many awesome devs! No wonder the game is bloody great.

Madman

Sushen said:
Gears wasn't the first to use it. Gears (and Uncharted) used the Killswitch cover system.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Madman said:
Gears wasn't the first to use it. Gears (and Uncharted) used the Killswitch cover system.

Not to mention the third person over the shoulder shooting mechanic... Resident Evil 4 anyone? I'm sure there is some game I am forgetting that did this even earlier.

Trolls will be trolls.

acabado

Banned
Septimus said:
Took a shot of the credits with that part, a little hard to read since it's from YouTube, but you should be able to.
82wm1ci.png

Maybe some cooperation from Sony's internal studios about how to code for Cell. Phil Harrison said that all Sony's studios would be some kind of integrated for cooperation.

Kittonwy

Banned
Dibbz said:
Cool thanks for the awesome reply.

About the animation though, they could have done similar to Assasin's Creed. Where basically you can hold the jump button whilsts running, but until you get to an edge you won't jump.

I heard they ran into trouble with motion capturing and their animations, so I've just kinda assumed that the 'problems' stem from that.

And holy crap Zipper helped too! Oh man Socom better rock like this. Plus Incognito is on there. Didn't they kinda dissolve? Looks like they didn't, unless they helped out a while back. :/

Oh shit, and Sucker Punch. Too many awesome devs! No wonder the game is bloody great.

I don't like the idea of pressing the button and not being able to jump, I know some games do that thing where the character is glued to the ground until he gets close to an edge, it just takes that layer of control away from the player. This is why I think it was a good idea that Naughty Dog would rather not put the animations on rails but instead sacrifice some of the smoothness to make the character controls more responsive, the more manual control the player has over the character, the more immersive the action is.

Sushen

davepoobond said:
oh please. nothing is original. take your head out of your ass.

not to mention people like things that are familiar to them, but are different in slight ways. Uncharted is no different than any other game that "borrows" from its genre.

as if that were a euphemism for espionage or some sort of patent stealing that is filed with the US Patent Office under "game that has guy hiding behind walls and then shooting people"

Call me whatever you want to call me, and I can't care less. I didn't even say the game's bad; actually it's pretty decent. Having said that, I was merely stating to those who think it was a great injustice that this game not selling millions nor winning lots of awards. For a game that is built on borrowed ideas, it did as well as, I think, it deserved. Yes, they're free to copy ideas, but they can't expect big things doing it, either. That's what I think, but feel free to disagree with me. :)

Basch

Sushen said:
Call me whatever you want to call me, and I can't care less. I didn't even say the game's bad; actually it's pretty decent. Having said that, I was merely stating to those who think it was a great injustice that this game not selling millions nor winning lots of awards. For a game that is built on borrowed ideas, it did as well as, I think, it deserved. Yes, they're free to copy ideas, but they can't expect big things doing it, either. That's what I think, but feel free to disagree with me. :)

Surely you can. Why would you care at all? :D

As for the rest, by that logic, Gears shouldn't have won all the awards it did, let alone the sales it recieved. Hell, there shouldn't even be anymore Game of the Year awards or any kind of awards for that matter.

You do know that if Uncharted does sell a million copies or more, the whole idea you have been implying will have been refuted.

Dibbz

Kittonwy said:
I don't like the idea of pressing the button and not being able to jump, I know some games do that thing where the character is glued to the ground until he gets close to an edge, it just takes that layer of control away from the player. This is why I think it was a good idea that Naughty Dog would rather not put the animations on rails but instead sacrifice some of the smoothness to make the character controls more responsive, the more manual control the player has over the character, the more immersive the action is.
I guess but Assasin's Creed allowed you to manually jump if you wanted to, by letting go of the jump button. I felt it had a very nice balance for responsiveness, and scripted animations.

The animations in Unchrted are nuts though. I was just admiring the jog cycle in it, a moment ago. It's amazing how well they done it.

I know they used MoCap for cutscenes, but am I right in thinking they used Keyframing for the real time animations?

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Dibbz said:
I guess but Assasin's Creed allowed you to manually jump if you wanted to, by letting go of the jump button. I felt it had a very nice balance for responsiveness, and scripted animations.

The animations in Unchrted are nuts though. I was just admiring the jog cycle in it, a moment ago. It's amazing how well they done it.

I know they used MoCap for cutscenes, but am I right in thinking they used Keyframing for the real time animations?

if i remember correctly, they keyframed the faces, but mocapped the rest with a little touch up or something

deepbrown

Basch said:
Surely you can. Why would you care at all? :D

As for the rest, by that logic, Gears shouldn't have won all the awards it did, let alone the sales it recieved. Hell, there shouldn't even be anymore Game of the Year awards or any kind of awards for that matter.

You do know that if Uncharted does sell a million copies or more, the whole idea you have been implying will have been refuted.
What were u doing over at n4g!? lol

Here's another review for you http://www.justpressplay.net/games/ps3/uncharted-drakes-fortune/review/ 9/10

And also it tops this Holiday Guide as the game to buy for your PS3 http://www.ripten.com/2007/12/18/ripten-holiday-guide-playstation-3-edition/

Oh and I'd also thought you'd like to know that Gamepro have given the same rating to Time Crisis as Uncharted.

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
Maggot9 said:
nvm.
100% complete a woot a woot!

You got the 61st treasure too, right? I admit I was confused when I found that I was missing 6 treasures after my first pass, but I had 55/60 accounted for. Oh those shifty Dogs...

Nice scavaging deep we need this stuff.

By the way anyone ever find out what the deal is when you hit L2 at certain points to look at those hidden
statues
throughout the game.

Oh and Deep did you get a chance to interview ND.

Sushen said:

Evidently you've never played any videogames before Gears of War (Kill.Switch maybe?)

Basch

deepbrown said:
What were u doing over at n4g!? lol

Taking over; trying to steal all the stories you normally post. Nothing much. :D

In truth, I like the site. It is very well put together, and I thought I might be able to help with reporting some of the news. Great community and all, you know.

deepbrown said:
deepbrown said:

More work? Oh man. And here I thought I was almost done. :lol

Maggot9

Banned
Arkham said:
You got the 61st treasure too, right? I admit I was confused when I found that I was missing 6 treasures after my first pass, but I had 55/60 accounted for. Oh those shifty Dogs...
come again? 61st treasure?

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
Maggot9 said:
come again? 61st treasure?

;) There's an extra treasure, but since the list is populated in order of discovery, you'll have to find the full list of 61 treasures, and scratch off the 60 you already have to figure out which one is missing.

I had my wife read off the list in the other room while I was in front of the PS3 with a pad and paper. Ha! God I love her.
(The wife.)

Basch said:
In truth, I like the site. It is very well put together, and I thought I might be able to help with reporting some of the news. Great community and all, you know.

I read the comments section once on the N4G site I think it was over the original halo commercial that was CG made me want to blow my fiiiinnng brains out.

And Basch how the hell have you not played this yet are you waiting till christmas?

deepbrown

Basch said:
Taking over; trying to steal all the stories you normally post. Nothing much. :D

More work? Oh man. And here I thought I was almost done. :lol
The community is....not great. There are class acts of course.

Basch

BruceLeeRoy said:
I read the comments section once on the N4G site I think it was over the original halo commercial that was CG made me want to blow my fiiiinnng brains out.

Its not too bad. Of course there is always the handful of douches, but nothing out of the ordinary. Plus, when I was referring to the community, I meant how it was a nice comprehensive source of information. I can't catch everything that is going on. :lol So I thought I would give back since the users were being helpful enough.

BruceLeeRoy said:
And Basch how the hell have you not played this yet are you waiting till christmas?

I manage. Resistance keeps me company at night. Christmas it is, though. That is the deadline. I must have all current games I am playing finished by then, or else they will be gone to me. :D

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Charted!

Weird, almost all the impressions seemed to think that the ending/final battle was disappointing... I thought it was great. Love the reward system, eager to play through it again.

Basch

Hey, everyone, I found something really cool. When looking to download the PLE version of Maya, an animation program, I found this. Aren't I awesome? :D

Naughty Dog uses Maya for Uncharted!

Here is the PDF file; the last page contains some interesting information the article doesn't have...

Naughty Dog on Maya (PDF File)

I haven't finished reading the article even, just thought this was an amazing find and should report it immediately. I found one interesting quote though. Hm...

Evan Wells said:
"One of the things we were concerned about when we started to develop this game for the PS3 was that because of the hardware's capabilities, the environments in this game could be much larger and more realistic, and the graphics and characters could be much more realistic and complex, than those we developed for previous-generation systems. We were happy to see that the evolution of the hardware hasn't prevented us from achieving the level of detail we want to achieve in Maya."

Basch said:
Hey, everyone, I found something really cool. When looking to download the PLE version of Maya, an animation program, I found this. Aren't I awesome? :D

Naughty Dog uses Maya for Uncharted!

Here is the PDF file; the last page contains some interesting information the article doesn't have...

Naughty Dog on Maya (PDF File)

I haven't finished reading the article even, just thought this was an amazing find and should report it immediately. I found one interesting quote though. Hm...

Nice find bro its old as balls but still very interesting. I always assumed they used 3dsmax

Maggot9

Banned
Arkham said:
;) There's an extra treasure, but since the list is populated in order of discovery, you'll have to find the full list of 61 treasures, and scratch off the 60 you already have to figure out which one is missing.

I had my wife read off the list in the other room while I was in front of the PS3 with a pad and paper. Ha! God I love her.
(The wife.)
fuck..

Basch

BruceLeeRoy said:
Nice find bro its old as balls but still very interesting. I always assumed they used 3dsmax

I find it amazing that they personalized every workstation to meet the needs of the member. Some of the stuff, admittedly, went right over my head. But hopefully, once I get to mess with it myself, I will be able to understand some of it. :D

Dibbz

The rewards in this game are amazing. Honestly the best reward system I have seen in forever. I'm going through it because I want to unlock all those cool features. Next gen filters are great, and the amount of different charcters to play as is brilliant. Looks like I'm going to be playing this for a very long time :)

2123123187_b2cfb1226f.jpg

Thought this looked awesome, so I took a snap.

Kittonwy

Banned
levious said:
Charted!

Weird, almost all the impressions seemed to think that the ending/final battle was disappointing... I thought it was great. Love the reward system, eager to play through it again.

I wuv teh ending rawr.
Indifferent2.gif

Dibbz

BTW where is this list of treasures you guys are talking about? The in game one or are you guys using a walkthrough? :/ I'm just picking the treasures up now and again. Trying to get the 5 melee kill streak first.

eshwaaz

Dibbz said:
The thing about jumping is sometimes when you try jumping, Drake will only jump so high, which is normal. When jumping onto ledges though, he can make massive leaps from the floor right the way up some place high. also when jumping gaps the game might run a little jump animation, but Drake shoots across the screen, because the gap is pretty big. It just looks really funny and wierd at the same time.

I'm not the only one who sees this am I? Don't get all defensive on me now guys, I just want to know what you think about this.

You've just addressed the biggest issue I have with Uncharted's animation. The use of procedural blending has resulted in some strange looking movements. It appears that they are trying to use the same jump/climb animation for a wide range of heights and distances by spreading out the start and end frames. It looks fine when its subtle, but when you're trying to repurpose the same animation for an action three times larger than it was ideally designed for, it's going to look odd.

I don't have the technical knowledge to proclaim this as fact; I'm just saying that this is what it looks like is happening to me. To me, the procedural stuff looks best when Nate is walking, running and/or shooting. Once his feet leave the ground, it just doesn't work as well.

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
Dammit! I love this game (just beat it), but throughout my experience with it i've had 7+ major graphical glitches. These manifest themselves as full-screen greys and blacks, as if the GPU missed out some crucial command. It comes without warning, completely obscures play, and wont go away until i quit to the PS3 home menu. Is this common?

By the way, im running on a Pal 60GB at 1080p (although it happens at 720p too). This doesn't happen with any other game.

...Playing this on my 10 year old tv in my room is rough. I still dont get why there is a light static when i play games on my 360 and ps3 but none whatso ever when i play movies on them.

diddlyD

Banned
i was hyped up for this game from all the talk in this thread, but now that i'm finally playing it, i think i hate it.

the gun play feels weak to me. the ai is annoying. this "go into a room and fight an endless stream of bad guys from all angles, repeat 10x, go to next chapter" gameplay is getting old. the cover system seems very glitchy (half the time i can't cover behind certain objects, other times im in some awkward position sticking out from where i want to be). the platforming is kind of fun but limited and too easy/obvious.

the visuals can be very nice, but other times they seem dull. the animation and control over drake does come off as 'floaty' and inaccurate as others have stated.

i was rooting for this game and getting annoyed at the posters badmouthing it in this thread, but now after playing about halfway through, i'm kind of agreeing with them and understanding why this isn't a million seller hit. seems like a decent 7 or 8 on the ratings scale. of course, i disliked Gears of War too and that sold 4 billion copies so what do i know.

also i'm just posting this after dying for the 10th time in the same spot after killing only 4900 out of and apparent 5000 guys and having to replay it over and over and over..... fun times.... so i'm a bit bitter. maybe after i finish it i'll get all lovey dovey over the game.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i don't understand the complaints about 'endless waves of enemies.' a dozen guys is a good-sized battle scene in uncharted. in cod4 you can easily watch a dozen guys spawn from one fucking doorway. and i like the way uncharted's enemies appear from various spawn points in predetermined waves -- it makes you approach each battlefield from two or three angles. but if you don't enjoy the basic shooting mechanics, i suppose it's going to feel tedious. i liked the gunplay quite a lot. unassisted aiming is an inspired choice for a cover-based shooter, and it really made the game for me

Top Bottom