• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

nerbo

deepbrown said:
Woah amazing pics...you have a great capture card! We need more!

Oh and someone at B3D has said Uncharted is at 400k worldwide...isn't that quite impressive?

400k sold worldwide is probably not enough to cover development, marketing and localization costs. In another 6 months or so, the game might see some profit if sales don't dip.

deepbrown

nerbo said:
400k sold worldwide is probably not enough to cover development, marketing and localization costs. In another 6 months or so, the game might see some profit if sales don't dip.
:lol I don't think they intended to cover their costs in 2 weeks!!!

If it is 400k in two weeks....that's a very long away from bombing. Maybe not as high as expected, but certainly NOT bombing. Don't they say that developers need to sell 500k sold to break even? Well ND are well on the way to a very nice healthy profit.

nerbo

deepbrown said:
:lol I don't think they intended to cover their costs in 2 weeks!!!

If it is 400k in two weeks....that's a very long away from bombing. Maybe not as high as expected, but certainly NOT bombing. Don't they say that developers need to sell 500k sold to break even? Well ND are well on the way to a very nice healthy profit.

Please point out where I said it was bombing...

klee123

KongRudi said:
I think coop in Uncharted would be a bad idea, especially if they have as much platforming as there were in the first title.
If people had to get their multiplayer-fix from Naughty Dog, I'd rather have it in a different IP, like Insomniac did with Ratchet and Resistance.

A question I'd like to pose, are what kind of difference in resources does it takes to do what I tought were oldstyle textures, such as having all textures handdrawn in Zbrush, like they said in the extras of Uncharted. Compared to just taking a photograph and scanning, and what are the pro's and cons about the various techniques? :)

Is the only pro unique'ness, or are there other reasons why everything were hand-drawn?
I would think the cheapest and best result would come out of a scan,..

Well they could add 2 player platforming segments where they can adjust the game so that it needs 2 people to solve a platforming section

deepbrown

nerbo said:
Please point out where I said it was bombing...
No you didn't. The only sentence really referring to your comments was the first sentence. The bombing is referring to the massive thread... Sorry :)

nerbo

deepbrown said:
No you didn't. The only sentence really referring to your comments was the first sentence. The bombing is referring to the massive thread... Sorry :)

I never said they intended to cover costs in 2 weeks, either.

kitch9

Banned
So.....Uncharted has sold 400k in around 2 weeks and people are saying its bombed?

Fuck me.........

Seriously ......

Fuck me......

Dragon

Banned
nerbo said:

Way to emphasize the negative. How many other games have come out recently where once we receive some preliminary sales numbers, gamers automatically say, oh it's selling alright but it's not covering development costs, etc? When did this become common practice? (Note: this isn't singling you out I've noticed it all over and I'm just wondering why)

quetz67

Banned
kitch9 said:
So.....Uncharted has sold 400k in around 2 weeks and people are saying its bombed?

Fuck me.........

Seriously ......

Fuck me......
Remember that guy saying MGS4 would be bomba if it doesnt sell 1M day one? You have to put the sales in relation to the costs.

deepbrown

kitch9 said:

Fuck me.........

Seriously ......

Fuck me......
No thanks. I'll need to find more evidence of this 400k first though. Let me do some digging.

nerbo

TheBranca18 said:
Way to emphasize the negative. How many other games have come out recently where once we receive some preliminary sales numbers, gamers automatically say, oh it's selling alright but it's not covering development costs, etc? When did this become common practice? (Note: this isn't singling you out I've noticed it all over and I'm just wondering why)

Every game in the last 2 years? Every single month when NPD reports hit the net?

I'm not emphasizing anything. This thread spun things into lala land sales expectations of this game that simply weren't realistic, thus anything that isn't completely gushing over it is perceived to be some kind of attack.

nerbo

deepbrown said:
Well you put a downer on the 400k in 2 weeks...which was counterintuitive.

Not really, because it's holiday season and games don't keep selling that strong beyond January. Thus, 6 months out to real profits is perfectly realistic.

Dragon

Banned
nerbo said:
Every game in the last 2 years? Every single month when NPD reports hit the net?

I'm not emphasizing anything. This thread spun things into lala land sales expectations of this game that simply weren't realistic, thus anything that isn't completely gushing over it is perceived to be some kind of attack.

I think people are gushing over the game, not the sales of the game.

And no, I don't perceive it as an attack, I perceive it as negative, as it is, which coincidently is what I typed.

But thanks for bringing me back to earth, far be it from any of us to praise a good game!

nerbo

TheBranca18 said:
I think people are gushing over the game, not the sales of the game.

And no, I don't perceive it as an attack, I perceive it as negative, as it is, which coincidently is what I typed.

But thanks for bringing me back to earth, far be it from any of us to praise a good game!

Spare me the martyr act, please. Nowhere have I attacked anyone's enjoyment of this game.

Dragon

Banned
nerbo said:
Spare me the martyr act, please. Nowhere have I attacked anyone's enjoyment of this game.

Spare me the contrarian act please. I'm sure right after Halo 3's launch you went into their official thread and said oh it only sold 1.5 million first day, not enough to cover development costs.

nerbo

TheBranca18 said:
Spare me the contrarian act please. I'm sure right after Halo 3's launch you went into their official thread and said oh it only sold 1.5 million first day, not enough to cover development costs.

You are talking to someone who can't stand Halo 1, 2 or 3 and laughed hysterically at the absurd levels of hype surrounding each release. You can shut up anytime now.

deepbrown

nerbo said:
Not really, because it's holiday season and games don't keep selling that strong beyond January. Thus, 6 months out to real profits is perfectly realistic.
This thread never gushed over sales, only over the quality of the game, and we know it deserves great sales.

Dragon

Banned
nerbo said:
You are talking to someone who can't stand Halo 1, 2 or 3 and laughed hysterically at the absurd levels of hype surrounding each release. You can shut up anytime now.

I don't think you understood my point. I wasn't implying you were anti PS3 or pro 360 or anything like that. I'm saying I doubt you're consistent, and am wondering what the purpose of your post was (if it was to rile people up, congrats you riled me up if nothing else!).

nerbo

TheBranca18 said:
I don't think you understood my point. I wasn't implying you were anti PS3 or pro 360 or anything like that. I'm saying I doubt you're consistent, and am wondering what the purpose of your post was (if it was to rile people up, congrats you riled me up if nothing else!).

The point of my post was to reply to someone who questioned wether the sales numbers were quite impressive, which IMO, remains to be seen and is based on how much longevity the game has at retail.

Basch

maskrider said:
Some more pics from the start of the game

uncharted-7.jpg

http://z-o-g.org/imgs/misc/uncharted-4.jpg
http://z-o-g.org/imgs/misc/uncharted-5.jpg
http://z-o-g.org/imgs/misc/uncharted-6.jpg
http://z-o-g.org/imgs/misc/uncharted-8.jpg
http://z-o-g.org/imgs/misc/uncharted-9.jpg
http://z-o-g.org/imgs/misc/uncharted-10.jpg
http://z-o-g.org/imgs/misc/uncharted-11.jpg
http://z-o-g.org/imgs/misc/uncharted-12.jpg
http://z-o-g.org/imgs/misc/uncharted-13.jpg
http://z-o-g.org/imgs/misc/uncharted-14.jpg

Oh, my God! Whoa! Those are absolutely stunning. Beauty, come to me! :D Thanks for the pictures. You're amazing.

And Naughty Dog complained about the water... What the hell?!? That has got to be the most photorealistic representation of the element. I can't imagine it getting any better. Leave it to ND to accomplish the impossible. :lol

methane47

Jack Tretton Q/A said:
Q: What is your favorite game?

A: My favorite video game? I guess the game I’m most excited about right now is “Uncharted,” although I’ve just gotten into it. I guess my favorite game over all time was a game called “Choplifter” for GameBoy back in 1991. And it’s the one and only game I ever finished, I’ll have to candidly admit, (other than) sports games like “Hot Shots.” Any sports game I’ve played through the season, but you know, I’ve never been the consumer that makes it through level 25 and ultimately completes the game.

Word of mouth marketting... That interviewer has probably just bought uncharted now!!

Kintaro said:
Mielke digs Uncharted. Although his impressions of the gunplay and enemy AI are a complete opposite of mine. Then his blog exploded into a furor.

His comments about the enemy AI and headshots are really not up for debate since they are so plainly wrong.
I have never played the game on normal or easy so I dont know if that severely handicaps the ai. But more then one shot in the head give me a fricken break. Still he raises some good overall points.

Dibbz

Just finished Uncharted. Game was amazing.

*Ending Spoilers kinda... maybe*
Did anyone else expect Sully to back stab you? I was waiting for him to do it ever since you meet back up with him. He just seemed like that kinda guy.

I'm gonna start it again because it was so awesome.

Also why isn't anybody here talking about the music in Ucnharted? I thought it was great, helped create some awesome moments in the game.

Dibbz said:

Did anyone else expect Sully to back stab you? I was waiting for him to do it ever since you meet back up with him. He just seemed like that kinda guy.

Also why isn't anybody here talking about the music in Ucnharted? I thought it was great, helped create some awesome moments in the game.

Yeah along with Bioshock and GOD OF WAR 2 its the best music this year.

The Chef

Dibbz said:

I thought the same thing. I think ND purposefully created his character to keep you a little wary of his actions.
Oh and the music. Trust me it hasn't been ignored my friend. Some of the best music in a game since MGS if you ask me.

deepbrown

nerbo said:
The point of my post was to reply to someone who questioned wether the sales numbers were quite impressive, which IMO, remains to be seen and is based on how much longevity the game has at retail.
Well OK....it was more a reaction to the thread about the game bombing.

uncharted-5.jpg

Dibbz

The Chef said:
I thought the same thing. I think ND purposefully created his character to keep you a little wary of his actions.
Oh and the music. Trust me it hasn't been ignored my friend. Some of the best music in a game since MGS if you ask me.
Yeah it seems like ND wanted to make you feel that way towards him.

Him saying things like leave Elena behind, and the piles of debt he needed to clear. Seemed like he would do almost anything to get it :/

EDIT:- BTW did anyone notice in the credits they give a special thanks to a bunch of stuidios such as Sony Santa Monica and Guerilla Games, pretty sure Insomniac were in there to. I guess they all helped tech wise. I was just really suprised that Guerilla Games was in there.

Basch

deepbrown said:
Well OK....it was more a reaction to the thread about the game bombing.

uncharted-5.jpg

Foul play. I know, Drake. I know. :D

I never did like it when people judged sales from the first month. I've seen too many games that have actually proven to meet or even beat the budget far down the line after release. This will probably be the bestselling PS3 game by March of next year. I would like to say February, but I predict a "close, but not close enough" margin: 943,000 units. Mark my words. :D

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
PHEW.

So, on my second way through now but on Crushing Mirrored (first time was on Hard). At first it wasn't so bad, but kcuf me that
downed-plane
segment took a few turns.

For the record, my first time through timed about 15 hours, but I was doing a lot of experimenting/replaying and ended up with 680 medal points and 55 treasures. After that, I figured out which treasures I was missing and did them chapter-by-chapter.

After getting 61/60, I did the
Nazi lab crate
stage to get those damn grenade and explosion awards. (Thanks so someone who suggested that was a good place to earn them!)
It really helps once you figure out there's a kcuffing catwalk to hang from for chrissakes.
Now I'm at 850 pts.

I've just finished the
flooded room
level, thanks to some clever advantage-taking on my part. See, I started that level with the grenade launcher, and 3 shots in my 6-shooter. So, after getting nailed in the room several times, I ran back to the
radio room at the end of the glide-line
to retrieve another 6 shots. By the time I got back, the pirates had triggered so I had fun picking them off in a variety of ways from the doorway. Strangely enough, it wasn't as easy as I had anticipated, as they can really pick you off around corners.

Now, back to the first
jetski
stage and them I'm off to finish this thing again. Might as well play one more time after that with infinite ammo. ;)

I'm enjoying this game in a different way now that I'm no longer concerned with finding treasures or earning medals. It's very tense enjoyment at its best, with a great deal of forward momentum. Now I can appreciate the platform segments as breathers.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Zophar said:
Uncharted sales are disappointing but to be expected. It's not all doom and gloom though, I'm fairly confident it'll make it to around 500k worldwide by the end of the year, which is at least respectable. Heavenly Sword's already hovering around 600k which is surprising considering how little reason there is to actually own that game opposed to this one.
Deepbrown said the game sold 400K worldwide already, but I have to ask who exactly said that and how would he/she know that? Same thing for HS 600K sales info?

Are these sales sold-to-retailer maybe? If yes, what does that mean to developer exactly? Is that money in their pocket, regardless of what the game sells trough to end customer?

If yes, then 400K is pretty good sales for Uncharted as I've read from the dev interview the game was developed on a tight budget (yes, I was surprised too). 400K sales =~ 24M revenue which must be enough to make a profit on a game developed on a "tight budget" I'd think.

Marconelly said:
Deepbrown said the game sold 400K worldwide already, but I have to ask who exactly said that and how would he/she know that? Same thing for HS 600K sales info?

Are these sales sold-to-retailer maybe? If yes, what does that mean to developer exactly? Is that money in their pocket, regardless of what the game sells trough to end customer?

If yes, then 400K is pretty good sales for Uncharted as I've read from the dev interview the game was developed on a tight budget (yes, I was surprised too). 400K sales =~ 24M revenue which must be enough to make a profit on a game developed on a "tight budget" I'd think.

This game is going to do fine. Even though Sony sucks balls at advertising a game before its release they really do a good job of continually promoting a game for a long long time. This thing will sell its million plus units it will just take a couple months. And can you imagine how awesome the sequel could be? I mean according to that interview they lost almost a whole year just because of development problems and they still came out with a game this polished. Just the idea of how much they could improve the next one in every way has me so giddy.

deepbrown

Marconelly said:

My only source is B3d I'm afraid

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Damn I can't wait to start this game once it arrives and since school is out for me in a few days Super devotion to this will commence.

rSpooky

Marconelly said:

YEah , I read that too. For instance appearently they only had one animator.
it was a small team effort.

Don't they say that developers need to sell 500k sold to break even?

That's what "they say". Something tells me it's not a hard and fast rule though. ;)

Basch said:
And Naughty Dog complained about the water... What the hell?!?

I think that was more about what they wanted to do with the water, not how it looked. Wells said they were toying with fluid dynamics (physics based puzzles?) early on but they decided to scrap the work that would take in favor for other aspects of the engine. He said they might still take a crack at it with their second game though, which would be cool.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
hukasmokincaterpillar said:
That's what "they say". Something tells me it's not a hard and fast rule though. ;)

I think that was more about what they wanted to do with the water, not how it looked. Wells said they were toying with fluid dynamics (physics based puzzles?) early on but they decided to scrap the work that would take in favor for other aspects of the engine. He said they might still take a crack at it with their second game though, which would be cool.

Damn that would be cool if they implement that for a sequel where it works and looks that freaking awesome!

Basch

hukasmokincaterpillar said:

Well that's cool. I was wondering what in the world they could have been thinking. Now, it just sounds like a tease. Oh, it will be a long wait for Uncharted 2, at least for you guys. I still have yet to play the game. Next week, though, is Uncharted-week. :D

By the way, I think sales to retailers do matter. In theory, retailers try to predict the demand for a product. In turn, they will buy enough shipments to cover that demand. They don't want to go over, though. That would lead to a loss for the retailer, which they would then react on by buying fewer units. If the demand is higher than expected, they will buy more. It is all about economics, methinks. So advertising does go a long way as it acts as a safety blanket for the big corporations, which influences people to buy the product, resulting in profit, which they spend to make more profit by buying more of the product. I feel like I just did a full circle: I'm dizzy. :lol I think this is why we see so many copies of Assasin's Creed, Halo 3, and Mass Effect. Now say it with me. Advertising. It could do Sony a world of wonders. :D

so we finally beat the post counst of the Super Mario Galaxy thread considering that we gave them 13 days headstart, this prove that this game is no bomba. congrat GAF and ND.

Septimus

Dibbz said:
EDIT:- BTW did anyone notice in the credits they give a special thanks to a bunch of stuidios such as Sony Santa Monica and Guerilla Games, pretty sure Insomniac were in there to. I guess they all helped tech wise. I was just really suprised that Guerilla Games was in there.
Yeah, I noticed that as well and it made me smile . I think the full list included Polyphony and Sucker Punch as well as a few others.

Dibbz

Septimus said:
Yeah, I noticed that as well and it made me smile . I think the full list included Polyphony and Sucker Punch as well as a few others.
Woah seriously?
I love this little network that Sony has going on here with the 1st party devs. Well most of them are pretty much 1st party, right?

One problem that really does kinda bug me if the movement and jumping. Its's not really fluid and is really jerky sometimes, like when you make a sudden move. The animation just kinda swithces, there is no flow/tween between them.

The thing about jumping is sometimes when you try jumping, Drake will only jump so high, which is normal. When jumping onto ledges though, he can make massive leaps from the floor right the way up some place high. also when jumping gaps the game might run a little jump animation, but Drake shoots across the screen, because the gap is pretty big. It just looks really funny and wierd at the same time.

I'm not the only one who sees this am I? Don't get all defensive on me now guys, I just want to know what you think about this.

Top Bottom