• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Kittonwy

Banned
Basch said:
So everyone, let's take a look at these hot screenies. :D

It is the best awesome fucking wowsome looking console game ever rawr.
Indifferent2.gif

Riddick

The Nature Roy said:
Yeah, the full quote was, "A sequel is pretty much guaranteed. The only way we won't make one is the game completely tanks and sells less than 120k in the US in November or something absurd like that."

Okay, no it wasn't, and honestly I'm not trying to be an ass. I can't believe the sales #s myself, it's disheartening.

I just bought a PS3 and Uncharted helped me make the jump. It's actually the only PS3 game I own at this point and I think it's is excellent -- I'd probably put it at #3 or #4 on my own personal GOTY list, but unless sales are significantly better in Europe, I can't see Sony funding a sequel. Such a polished game with its incredible production values and visuals had to cost a lot to make, and it's been said that an average PS3 games takes something like 500,000 sales to break even. If Sony loses their ass on Uncharted, why would they make a sequel?

I really believe Sony and Naughty Dog thought a sequel was pretty much guaranteed because they thought the chances of Uncharted being a hit were pretty much guaranteed.

Maybe Sony should realize that it's not ND's fault and the real blame lies on their incompetent marketing team. Assasin's Creed a fairly boring game sold around 1.5 million according to Ubisoft and Uncharted a much better game in both graphics and gameplay made around 100k. The same fate had another AAA+ Sony published game named Rachet and Clank Future.

Madman

Riddick said:
Maybe Sony should realize that it's not ND's fault and the real blame lies on their incompetent marketing team. Assasin's Creed a fairly boring game sold around 1.5 million according to Ubisoft and Uncharted a much better game in both graphics and gameplay made around 100k. The same fate had another AAA+ Sony published game named Rachet and Clank Future.
They fired their ad agency. We'll just have to wait and see if the new agency does better.

Salazar

DeadGzuz said:
I was thinking melee weapons would be cool in part two. Pick up and use machetes, crowbars, pieces of wood. Being able to throw like in Conan would be sweet.

It would be nice in games to choose the style of throw, too - like whether you want a javelin or helicopter aspect to your crowbar.

Salazar said:
It would be nice in games to choose the style of throw, too - like whether you want a javelin or helicopter aspect to your crowbar.

Yeah, actually I was think about that the other day! What explorer doesn't have a big ass knife? It would be cool if you could use one in part 2!

Kittonwy

Banned
Salazar said:

Or Yakuza-style weapon-context attacks. Triangle can be used to pick up the weapon (press triangle once to pick up, press triangle again to throw) and it can be used in combos and some position-based execution style attacks rawr.
Indifferent2.gif

kbear

I decided not to eBay Uncharted after completing it. I just love the game too much to throw it out of bed like a dirty whore the morning after. It's a game where I feel like I'll definitely play through it like once or twice a year and also my friends would love to play / show off to. And I think it'll just be amazing once I get my surround sound setup and a much bigger TV. I think you guys should keep if you liked it as much as I do unless you're really low on $$.

DSc

Don't know if this has been mentioned yet?

No downloadable content for Uncharted

Evan Wells has stated that there are no plans to release downloadable content for Uncharted. When questioned as to whether any DLC was in the pipeline, Evan replied "We aren't planning any downloadable content for Uncharted, but we are planning to take advantage of whatever kind of integration into Home is possible".

The full interview is available to read in Issue 4 of D+PAD Magazine.

http://www.n4g.com/gaming/News-93394.aspx

I have 3 friends that have PS3's and all opted to buy Cod4 or AC in the last month. I told them constantly you guys got to pick up Uncharted its awesome and I was always met with ehhhh yeah maybe later I was never very into **** Raider. No matter how many times I explained it to them thats what they decided the game was like. So on friday I had them all over to my house and they all took turns playing from chapter 1 to chapter 5. The whole time I kept hearing the same things over and over "OMG the graphics" ,"Did that guy just say let me see your head booolaayy?", "OH the shotgun is awesome this game is fricken awesome". So we played right up to when they got to the shot of the fortress and I was like alright you cheap bastards thats it man go get it. I kid you not all of them by this Sunday had the game and keep calling me to tell me how fantastic it is. The damn game sells itself.

Only Sony could take a game that has:

1.The best graphics of any console game currently available.
2.A great cast of characters and one of the best new hero's to emerge in a long time.
3.Excellent gameplay.
4.Tons of replay and fantastic sound.

And get it too sell only 100k its almost like you would have to try really hard to ensure this game isnt successful.

So yeah this will be my ongoing rant.

maskrider said:
Just started, great graphics and gameplay !

Glad you like it man. Great shots too.

Kosma

Banned
I really hope the sales will be good enough to warrant a sequel, Europe must step up cause the US (Sony....) failed.

Great stuff on those pics man, I have a new background!

BruceLeeRoy said:
I have 3 friends that have PS3's and all opted to buy Cod4 or AC in the last month. I told them constantly you guys got to pick up Uncharted its awesome and I was always met with ehhhh yeah maybe later I was never very into **** Raider. No matter how many times I explained it to them thats what they decided the game was like. So on friday I had them all over to my house and they all took turns playing from chapter 1 to chapter 5. The whole time I kept hearing the same things over and over "OMG the graphics" ,"Did that guy just say let me see your head booolaayy?", "OH the shotgun is awesome this game is fricken awesome". So we played right up to when they got to the shot of the fortress and I was like alright you cheap bastards thats it man go get it. I kid you not all of them by this Sunday had the game and keep calling me to tell me how fantastic it is. The damn game sells itself.

Only Sony could take a game that has:

1.The best graphics of any console game currently available.
2.A great cast of characters and one of the best new hero's to emerge in a long time.
3.Excellent gameplay.
4.Tons of replay and fantastic sound.

And get it too sell only 100k its almost like you would have to try really hard to ensure this game isnt successful.

So yeah this will be my ongoing rant.

Glad you like it man. Great shots too.

Is it sony's fault that reviewers are panning this excellent game as a "good game". Is it sony's fault that magazines/websites were not doing huge previews that talked about how incredible the game was (ala AC)? I mean I see the commercial all the time, but the comments I get from people is "eh, I don't want to buy a game that's so short and doesn't have multiplayer" and then on top of that the reviews make it out as if the game is just ok-good. Can't keep blaming sony for things out of their control.

Kosma

Banned
Byakuya769 said:
Is it sony's fault that reviewers are panning this excellent game as a "good game". Is it sony's fault that magazines/websites were not doing huge previews that talked about how incredible the game was (ala AC)? I mean I see the commercial all the time, but the comments I get from people is "eh, I don't want to buy a game that's so short and doesn't have multiplayer" and then on top of that the reviews make it out as if the game is just ok-good. Can't keep blaming sony for things out of their control.

Those huge AC previews etc are all because Ubisoft had many events AND Jade working the press, there was no such push for UC at all.

oo Kosma oo said:
Those huge AC previews etc are all because Ubisoft had many events AND Jade working the press, there was no such push for UC at all.

So sony needs a pretty girl to win over the fanboy press? Sounds like the sorry state of gaming press is more of a problem than a lack of push by Sony. Sony is losing money on hardware, I don't know if they have that much to sink into these games after they already spend a lot on their development.

Basch

BruceLeeRoy said:

This is what I think I will be doing with my friends. I'm debating whether or not to allow them to play the game at all. All three are hardcore 360 fans. So we'll see how it goes. If this game doesn't do it, I think I may need to smack some sense into them. :D Drones.

Byakuya769 said:

I absolutely agree with this to an extent but I think its been proven time and again that marketing makes a game a seller not necessarily reviews. Look at Assassins Creed it got some horrendous reviews a 4.5 from one of the most circulated magazines available and it still sells like crazy why?

A big ass campaign.

There are cardboard cutouts of it at Blockbuster and its all over the place at Gamestop with a demo reel cardboard cutouts and a whole section with just the empty boxes before it came out.

Uncharted has absolutely none of that if Sony is going to treat it as just another release that is in no way presented differently than any of their other campaigns no one is going to give a rats ass.

Yoboman said:
I said they should've been getting this set up in shops all around the country to demo

Couldn't agree more.

Basch said:
This is what I think I will be doing with my friends. I'm debating whether or not to allow them to play the game at all. All three are hardcore 360 fans. So we'll see how it goes. If this game doesn't do it, I think I may need to smack some sense into them. :D Drones.

Yeah one of the guys I showed it too only had a 360 and just got a PS3 but as long as they aren't wild fanboys there is just no denying how amazing the game is. Its the exact situation only reversed when my friends last year got me to be all about a 360 when they sat me down and let me play Gears.

klee123

Seriously, more copies of this game needs to be sold. It's been ages since I've replayed a game this much. I'm just about finished with crushing difficulty, but chances are, I'll have the urge to play through it again. Some people find the gun battles repetitive, but I find them so much fun. Like when you have to constantly move around from cover to cover avoiding nades or your enemies flanking you in crushing mode, it is pure gameplay bliss.

Kosma

Banned
Byakuya769 said:
So sony needs a pretty girl to win over the fanboy press? Sounds like the sorry state of gaming press is more of a problem than a lack of push by Sony. Sony is losing money on hardware, I don't know if they have that much to sink into these games after they already spend a lot on their development.

Well sinking money into marketing is important if you want to get big sales.

Basch

Byakuya769 said:

They can do it too. Alright Amy Hennig, its time to strut your stuff. For Uncharted! :D

klee123 said:
Seriously, more copies of this game needs to be sold. It's been ages since I've replayed a game this much. I'm just about finished with crushing difficulty, but chances are, I'll have the urge to play through it again. Some people find the gun battles repetitive, but I find them so much fun. Like when you have to constantly move around from cover to cover avoiding nades or your enemies flanking you in crushing mode, it is pure gameplay bliss.

No kidding its ridiculous how many times I have replayed this game I only have one more achievement to get:
50 kills with the AK or whatever and I am maxed I wish so bad there was more I could do.

Valcrist

I'm not normally someone who cares about sales, but the sales of uncharted is heartbreaking. I love the production values of this game...and I think everybody deserves to play it. That said, the commercials aren't good enough. MORE over the top gameplay PLEASE! more scenes of the amazing jeep sequence or whatever. Alot of my gaming friends see this commercial and have no idea what this game is. There was no hype at all.

This game is amazing...I'm having a lot more fun with it than AC, it's one of the best action games that I've played in the last 10 years...A must buy for sure.

Loudninja

PlayStation 3
North America: 1. Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock Bundle (Activision), 2. Rock Band (EA Games), 3. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Activision), 4. Assassin's Creed (Ubisoft), 5. Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (SCEA).

Japan: 1. Gran Turismo 5 Prologue (SCEI), 2. Uncharted: El Dorado no Hihou (SCEI), 3. Shin Sangoku Musou 5 (Koei), 4. World Soccer Winning Eleven 2008 (Konami), 5. Ratchet & Clank Future (SCEI).

UK: 1. Assassin's Creed (Ubisoft), 2. Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction (SCEE), 3. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Activision), 4. Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (SCEE), 5. Need for Speed ProStreet (EA Games).

At least its in the top selling PS3 games

kbear

Valcrist said:
I'm not normally someone who cares about sales, but the sales of uncharted is heartbreaking. I love the production values of this game...and I think everybody deserves to play it. That said, the commercials aren't good enough. MORE over the top gameplay PLEASE! more scenes of the amazing jeep sequence or whatever. Alot of my gaming friends see this commercial and have no idea what this game is. There was no hype at all.
It really is a steak in the heart. Normally, I'm not one to give a shit about sales or "sales-age" but in this case you can't help but feel... frustrated, angry, disappointed, etc. This game was a sure thing but due to a combination of poor marketing and overly critical reviews, it's been a disaster in sales. For people saying that a lack of multi-player is one of the reasons it didn't sell, just take a look at Assassin's Creed which had no mp, obviously. It sold ~400k for PS3 in November. That ~400k figure also makes the point about PS3's negative perception as the cause for Uncharted's lack of sales an incorrect assumption.

edit, I just saw the commercial on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaUr5dPv6Ow

What was so bad about it? Sure, it didn't have that emotional, serious sounding song like Azn Creed and Gears of War but why is that a requirement for a good ad? I think it was a pretty good ad... certainly not a "terrible" ad. I think the marketing problem was more to do with tangible stuff as someone else mentioned, like in-store displays and whatnot. I'm not entirely sure. Whatever the case was, it sucks because this is the best game I've played in years. It's soooo good and polished all around. It had all the facets of a AAA game nailed down to a tee and it's heart-breaking to see it sell like this.

SRG01

Loudninja said:
At least its in the top selling PS3 games

Top selling PS3 games mean absolutely nothing if it can't crack the overall rankings.

I'm fully expecting Uncharted to have some legs over December, but that'll be it for the sales. :( :( :(

quetz67

Banned
SRG01 said:
Top selling PS3 games mean absolutely nothing if it can't crack the overall rankings.

I'm fully expecting Uncharted to have some legs over December, but that'll be it for the sales. :( :( :(
I dont think so, it will probably cement itself as one of the must have titles for new PS3 owners for some time. Right now the userbase is just too low to compete with all the Wii, PS2 and 360 titles, which are on a user base 3x-40x as big.

Madman

Well, this thread is going well. Uncharted did less then great sales, but this sort of stuff happens. Get over it. Bitching about it here doesn't do anything. The ad agency that did the marketing and made the commerical is gone. All you are doing right now is making the thread a bitchfest about something completely out of our control. I feel the sales for Folklore, Ratchet, HS, and especially Warhawk were disappointing. But all I can do is buy the game and hope for the best. Did you buy the game? Are you telling other people to? Then you did your part and you should just try to enjoy the game.

SRG01

quetz67 said:
I dont think so, it will probably cement itself as one of the must have titles for new PS3 owners for some time. Right now the userbase is just too low to compete with all the Wii, PS2 and 360 titles, which are on a user base 3x-40x as big.

Didn't we say the same thing about Rachet? :(

quetz67

Banned
deepbrown said:
Ok...100% :D
actually NO!

if it is 0-4 rating system the score would place it somewhere between 81% and 100%

If it is a 1-4 rating system the score would place it somewhere between 76% and 100%

Thats would be nitpicking if the review would sound like it is 100%, but it doesnt

Madman

quetz67 said:
actually NO!

if it is 0-4 rating system the score would place it somewhere between 90% and 100%

If it is a 1-4 rating system the score would place it somewhere between 87.5% and 100%

Thats would be nitpicking if the review would sound like it is 100%, but it doesnt
...wha? A 4/4 is 100%.

deepbrown

quetz67 said:
actually NO!

if it is 0-4 rating system the score would place it somewhere between 90% and 100%

If it is a 1-4 rating system the score would place it somewhere between 87.5% and 100%

WTF!!!!????

Where the HELL did you study maths!!!???

4 equals the top score. Thus 4 is the 100%. If the game was given 3/4 the score would be 75%. It was in fact given 4/4. 4 is 100% of 4. How do I know this? 4-4=0.

Holy shit I've never heard anything so dead headed. I take it back gamers do not have brains.

quetz67

Banned
deepbrown said:
WTF!!!!????

Where the HELL did you study maths!!!???

4 equals the top score. Thus 4 is the 100%. If the game was given 3/4 the score would be 75%. It was in fact given 4/4. 4 is 100% of 4. How do I know this? 4-4=0.

Holy shit I've never heard anything so dead headed. I take it back gamers do not have brains.
I understand the math, but would you run out and buy every 2/2 game only because that is 100%?

But sorry, I was wrong a 4/4 would of course mean a range from 80-100% or an average of 90% (75%-100% or an average of 87.5%)

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Sony, for once, should have lied and promoted this game as an online enabled shooter. Or have an hot chick do the PR for two years before release.

Hepefully it keeps selling reasonably for a while.

deepbrown

quetz67 said:
I understand the math, but would you run out and buy every 2/2 game only because that is 100%?
No I wouldn't run out and buy a game if it got full marks from a website I don't know. True.

I'm simply posting a review that got full marks - it got 100%. So we can now add it to our list of reviews. If it's scale was 2, where 2 is 100% and they gave it 2/2 - I would then add the review as 100%, or as 10/10. If they gave the game 1.9/2 I would then add a 9.5/10 score. It's very simple.

Top Bottom