• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I got Uncharted about 3 weeks ago, and have already run through Normal and Hard. Trying to do a Crushing run right now...I have to admit, it sounds so much easier than it actually is. On Crushing I really have to stay on my toes. Every firefight brings potential death. Every. Single. One.

I don't even want to imagine what the final chapter is going to be like. I had some hard enough times with that on Hard.

I'm half way through it on crushing ( my third playthrough) and some sections I thought I'd never beat, but I did eventually.I have a few more treasures left to find.One thing I would like in the sequel would be a longer game.I know there's huge replay value with all the extras and all.

Ugh crushing is...a little too hard. A little easier and it would be okay but as of now it's really tedious at times. Actually makes me wish the game was shorter. I just want infinite ammo.:lol

Binabik15

Crushing is soooo good.

Uncharted is sooo good.

I completed it 7 times and I´m playing it again before Among Thieves hits. The must NOT fuck up the awesomness of Drake in part 2. If he´s all bad ass and dual wielding I´ll kidnap the damn ND dog.

Grizzlyjin said:
I got Uncharted about 3 weeks ago, and have already run through Normal and Hard. Trying to do a Crushing run right now...I have to admit, it sounds so much easier than it actually is. On Crushing I really have to stay on my toes. Every firefight brings potential death. Every. Single. One.

I don't even want to imagine what the final chapter is going to be like. I had some hard enough times with that on Hard.
It's not that hard.

If you can get past the Plane wreck area and Sewer you can make it.

Grayman

The only thing I could say about crushing is that I would like the option for smartest possible AI but with hard's health and recovery. Sometimes getting shot but not killed in crushing holds Drake down for long enough that he may as well pop out and die then. The little bit of leniency with damage is why I use hard as my for fun difficulty. I play very conservatively on crushing while on hard I'll try more things because I can get away with it.

Grayman

Ballistictiger said:
It's not that hard.

If you can get past the Plane wreck area and Sewer you can make it.
The plane wreck is weird to me because I do not remember it as being a choke point at all until crushing.

The sewer is not so bad after playing the game 5 or 6 times. I kill the higher up enemies first then have tons of breathing room for the incoming pirates. Whereas the fights near the end of the game are a bitch every time I do them.

Alright, continuing from last night.

There is a 30 cal. emplacement down a long hallway filled with water. I guess I am stupid enough to run down it anyways...

Edit1: AND BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE

Edit2: Damn this part is hard....

Edit3: Damn this part is REALLY hard

Edit4: Ok at door w/ keys. Not quite sure what to do...

Ok, now I am really up high. Passed the brick part. Some trickier jumps...

Edit1: Wew the thing I was standing on collasped, but I made the jump. Damn these people didnt build shit to last.

My assumption is that the keys are in the tower im currently latched on

Edit2: Nate. wtf didn't you use the rope?!

Edit3: And now inside. Can I has gold yet?

Edit4: Just got full nades, assault rifle ammo, and pistol ammo. Must be big fight time.

Edit5: I swear to god if I have to deal with 1m machine gun emplacement....

Edit6: OH COME ON NATE. DO YOU REALLY THINK BARREL ROLLING INTO THE OPEN INSTEAD OF OFF THE COVER IS REALLY GOING TO HELP?!

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Synless said:
You need to get on this. You won't be disappointed. I know your all about that portable shit, but you need to step up to play one of the best games released on any system this gen.

Ain't nothing shit about portables, baby. Just got a DSi last night, and I'm currently heavily playing two portable RPGs that rock hardcore. That said, on the console side, I've been enjoying learning about and proceeding through the complete cracking and hacking of my PS2 and Wii. Haven't had too much time to fiddle with my 360 in... months, and my PS3 since I finished up SFIV, PoP and its epilogue in recent weeks.

sevenchaos said:
Only game I've 100%'d. Had a 360 since launch. Got a PS3 back in October.

I've had a Wii, 360, PS3, DS, and PSP since launch. This is just one of the few that really slipped through the cracks for me. Worry not, I plan on remedying that oversight shortly.

DMeisterJ said:
Buy Uncharted.

I'm 99.97% positive that you won't be disappointed. And if you live in EU you have no choice since it's not full-priced like in America.

I'm so not a fan of Naughty Dog. But I've read up quite a bit about this game, and it honestly seems like it'll be the first ND game that I'd actually like. I might even go out of my way and pick it up this week.

Mejilan said:
Ain't nothing shit about portables, baby. Just got a DSi last night, and I'm currently heavily playing two portable RPGs that rock hardcore. That said, on the console side, I've been enjoying learning about and proceeding through the complete cracking and hacking of my PS2 and Wii. Haven't had too much time to fiddle with my 360 in... months, and my PS3 since I finished up SFIV, PoP and its epilogue in recent weeks.

I've had a Wii, 360, PS3, DS, and PSP since launch. This is just one of the few that really slipped through the cracks for me. Worry not, I plan on remedying that oversight shortly.

I'm so not a fan of Naughty Dog. But I've read up quite a bit about this game, and it honestly seems like it'll be the first ND game that I'd actually like. I might even go out of my way and pick it up this week.

It's pretty damn good so far.

Mesijs

Grayman said:
The only thing I could say about crushing is that I would like the option for smartest possible AI but with hard's health and recovery. Sometimes getting shot but not killed in crushing holds Drake down for long enough that he may as well pop out and die then. The little bit of leniency with damage is why I use hard as my for fun difficulty. I play very conservatively on crushing while on hard I'll try more things because I can get away with it.
Well, the whole thing on crushing is that playing conservatively doesn't help, only playing SMART helps. Sometimes the smartest move is to run up to a shotgunner and beat him to death instead of taking cover and knowing you would be surrounded.

That's the fucking awesome thing about crushing. I just had to use every very possibility that ND gave me to actually finish the fights. Blindfiring, grenades, melee: everything comes together so extremely well that the overall experience is so great.

I love it that the AI is just A LOT faster on crushing, that actually playing conservatively will simply let the enemy surround you. Every single death is the players fault and thats why I love this difficulty so much. I died the most times in these sewers and in the fight after the monastery, but I just kept on going on going because I knew that it was my own fault.

Completed the game four times: on hard and crushing before trophies and on hard and crushing after. I loved it, bring on the second one.

NameIess

Mesijs said:
Well, the whole thing on crushing is that playing conservatively doesn't help, only playing SMART helps. Sometimes the smartest move is to run up to a shotgunner and beat him to death instead of taking cover and knowing you would be surrounded.

That's the fucking awesome thing about crushing. I just had to use every very possibility that ND gave me to actually finish the fights. Blindfiring, grenades, melee: everything comes together so extremely well that the overall experience is so great.

I love it that the AI is just A LOT faster on crushing, that actually playing conservatively will simply let the enemy surround you. Every single death is the players fault and thats why I love this difficulty so much. I died the most times in these sewers and in the fight after the monastery, but I just kept on going on going because I knew that it was my own fault.

Completed the game four times: on hard and crushing before trophies and on hard and crushing after. I loved it, bring on the second one.

Great post; I completely agree.

Dever

Banned
Beat this on Crushing earlier today... Yay for me. Awesome game continues to be awesome. Was at the edge of my seat when I finally got past the wave I'd been struggling with and another wave came in... I got those fuckers on my first try though. :D

Mesijs said:

Excellent post. I actually found myself retreating on crushing, blind firing to keep them in cover just that little bit longer, and using the shotgun a LOT more than I would have at lower difficulties. It really makes you think about how you're going to approach a fight instead of knowing that you'll be fine as long as you stay in cover.

Grayman said:
The plane wreck is weird to me because I do not remember it as being a choke point at all until crushing.

The sewer is not so bad after playing the game 5 or 6 times. I kill the higher up enemies first then have tons of breathing room for the incoming pirates. Whereas the fights near the end of the game are a bitch every time I do them.
Yeah that's my strategy also.
I kill them fast with an ak spray because Pistols are more lethal, I save them for the mobs.

Best gun to use in Crushing has to be the second 9mm pistol.

Grayman

Ballistictiger said:
Yeah that's my strategy also.
I kill them fast with an ak spray because Pistols are more lethal, I save them for the mobs.

I love both pistols(when I have to use the first 9mm) they are good enough that I can carry a specific side arm or grenades for when I really need them. Sometimes I keep an m79 for a fairly long time to save it for a specific fight.

On Crushing I tend to switch to different cover a lot because the enemies always try to flank me.

There are few instances when I had to do running blind fire and melee to stay alive.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
yeah up until Crushing melee is like a neat extra and nothing more. On crushing you will use it a lot on stupid shotty rushers. that also made the mode very do-able difficulty wise, because those shotty guys wouldn't rush that much on other difficulties. now you can take em out without using ammo!

chapter 4 on crushing is the hardest. once you get past that, it's just like hard mode.

Replicant

You need to exploit these elements on Crushing:

* Relatively safe hiding spots. Yes, there are some throughout the game. They don't always exist (plane wrecked anyone?) but there are some. Narrow places that offers only one entry is a good area to plank soldiers.
* Blind shoots from behind the cover (always nailed those impatient suckers). You have to do this or you'll be overwhelmed.
* Be fucking clever. You don't need to stay in one spot? Then don't. RUN FOR YOUR LIFE to other areas that offer more hiding spots. A good example of this is the 2nd wave of the 2nd battle in the church.
* Bait some enemies to chase you then off them then back and bait some more.
* Be cunning. Enemies rappeling down to your area? Shoot them before they get down. Who cares about pleasant manner?
* You have to melee some enemies since there's not enough time/ammo in some battle (plane wrecked area, for example).
* Exploit some of the...uh, technical glitches (the sewer is an example of this).

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I found Crushing to be one of the easiest of the highest difficulties in games that I've played. It at least seemed fair, where other games seem like they're cheating to make sure you die.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Fuck you guys, last time I played Uncharted I was blocked on Crushing at the plane crash. You make me want to go back at it :lol

Replicant

pseudocaesar said:

Believe it or not, you can kill those bad guys in the sewer (is it really sewer? It's that underground water stage) without actually jumping into the sewer. I can't remember where I read it from (it's probably this thread or gamefaqs). I didn't believe it myself until I did it. The funniest part was when these two goons basically show up behind me before jumping into the sewer. I then just dropped some grenades on their heads. :D

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
RoboPlato said:
I found Crushing to be one of the easiest of the highest difficulties in games that I've played. It at least seemed fair, where other games seem like they're cheating to make sure you die.
Mmm, this is how I felt. I wouldn't call it the best difficulty ever or whatever, but it was fun.

Playing a hard difficulty on any game is great if the level design is up to snuff. When you play through this on Crushing, or, for instance, RE5 on Pro, you're forced to use the environment to its max potential in order to actually survive. It's awesome.

Replicant

Ballistictiger said:
I find it more fun to take them all head on without exploits.
Even dying sometimes is fun.

NO. Not the sewer stage. All other stages, I grant you, they are kind of fun (in that masochist kind of way) to figure out. Even the open fire in the ruins and plane crash site. However, the sewer stage is just one hell of pure frustration unless you use the exploit.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Replicant said:
NO. Not the sewer stage. All other stages, I grant you, they are kind of fun (in that masochist kind of way) to figure out. Even the open fire in the ruins and plane crash site. However, the sewer stage is just one hell of pure frustration unless you use the exploit.
I bet it just fine without using the exploit. I'd played through the game twice in a relatively quick succession before my Crushing run through though, so I has a good understanding of how the room was going to play out (where the enemies would come from).

Ballistictiger said:

Yeah, the Beretta knock off (forget what its called in the game). I have no idea if the fire rate is accurate to the actual thing (probably not), but its fucking ridiculous in the game. Like a ballistic Contra. And it sounds awesome.

Uncharted's like the first shooter where the pistols were significantly cooler than the autos or heavies. Its completely backwards but its a blast to play. Makes me almost want to see Naughty Dog tackle the dreaded western genre with the same mechanics, the shootouts are perfect for it. Break the curse ND!

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Replicant said:
Uncharted is one of those games that everyone has difficulty with different sections. I found the sewer section to be one of the easiest.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Replicant said:
Not really. You just have to memorize where they're coming from, and act accordingly. Considering that there's I think only three waves of enemies there, it's really not difficult to memorize.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
RoboPlato said:
Uncharted is one of those games that everyone has difficulty with different sections. I found the sewer section to be one of the easiest.

Same here. I did, however, have a lot of trouble with the demo level on Crushing. And the jet ski up-river :-(

Replicant said:
I kill the guy to the right and top at the beginning.
Then hug the pillars :D

Rez said:
I bet it just fine without using the exploit. I'd played through the game twice in a relatively quick succession before my Crushing run through though, so I has a good understanding of how the room was going to play out (where the enemies would come from).
What exploit? Someone suggested dangling from the starting ledge but that didn't trigger anything for me. I had to beat it the old fashioned way: memorising enemy placement and spawns...

Kittonwy

Banned
hukasmokincaterpillar said:
Yeah, the Beretta knock off (forget what its called in the game). I have no idea if the fire rate is accurate to the actual thing (probably not), but its fucking ridiculous in the game. Like a ballistic Contra. And it sounds awesome.

Uncharted's like the first shooter where the pistols were significantly cooler than the autos or heavies. Its completely backwards but its a blast to play. Makes me almost want to see Naughty Dog tackle the dreaded western genre with the same mechanics, the shootouts are perfect for it. Break the curse ND!

The handguns are totally headshot-awesome in UNCHARTED!!!111!!!
angry.gif

Kittonwy said:
The handguns are totally headshot-awesome in UNCHARTED!!!111!!!
angry.gif
Agreed. On Crushing I always try to carry a shotgun and a 92FS wherever possible: the shotgun for close range hip shots as well as blindfiring at close range from cover when they try to flank, and the 92FS for aimed shots from cover (which is the majority of combat).

The funny thing is I don't think I ever bothered with shotguns until Crushing; before that it was always assault rifles. Mainly because the enemy AI rarely tried to flank you so basically all combat was long range (not a forte of the shotty).

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
endlessflood said:
What exploit? Someone suggested dangling from the starting ledge but that didn't trigger anything for me. I had to beat it the old fashioned way: memorising enemy placement and spawns...
I'm not sure, the first I heard about it was on this page of this thread. :lol

TChirath

Neo Member
Just started playing this game again for trophies. It's still as hard as I remember and I'm only playing on normal :( I really want to unlock infinite ammo but I doubt I will ever be able to beat crushing, or even hard..

-viper- said:
If I use weapon select to beat crushing, will I get the trophy for it?
Like Ballistictiger says, there are no options for cheats in Crushing. You simply can't access them so there's no need to worry about doing something that will prevent you earning the trophy.

Facism

-viper- said:
If I use weapon select to beat crushing, will I get the trophy for it?

Cheats are disabled for crushing.

You'll just have to man up and suffer the cistern, courtyard and church :E

Top Bottom