• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
UraMallas said:
I think I've tapped until it comes all the way back down but now you have me wondering...

Thank you for this info, though. Since there is nothing at all before this part I'll just chapter select to 6 and beat it from there. I know the saving system is wonky with trophies, do I save over my original game or can I make a new save file?
I'd backup the save file onto USB memory, just to be sure. Then you can experiment.

Norml

UraMallas said:
I think I've tapped until it comes all the way back down but now you have me wondering...

Thank you for this info, though. Since there is nothing at all before this part I'll just chapter select to 6 and beat it from there. I know the saving system is wonky with trophies, do I save over my original game or can I make a new save file?

Unfortunately, my game save is at 39% for this part so you can't help me. I wish you could, just to verify, one way or the other, if I'm just an idiot or the game is glitched.

To be safe, I would delete my old saves. I didn't delete my old saves and I had to go through the entire game again to re-collect all 60 hidden treasures because my gamesave screwed up and had me down at 59. So this will be the second glitch that has befallen my poor gamesaves.

try tapping faster.

UraMallas

Lord Error said:
I'd backup the save file onto USB memory, just to be sure.
I'll have to do that. So, are you saying I have to save over my old gamesave or can I create a new gamesave file? Maybe, I'll create a new gamesave file with my current game and then save over it with my chapter select from Chapter 6 game. That should work, maybe? I just really, REALLY don't want to have to play through the first 5 chapters again on Crushing. That was a bitch. But I also don't want to play through the rest of the game on Crushing, only to find that I'll have to replay the whole game again because the save file is fucked.

God damn it, I love this game but this save file shit really gets me.

Norml said:
try tapping faster.
Are you being serious? I've never had such a problem before with tapping fast or not...

Firewire

Banned
UraMallas said:
To be safe, I would delete my old saves. I didn't delete my old saves and I had to go through the entire game again to re-collect all 60 hidden treasures because my gamesave screwed up and had me down at 59. So this will be the second glitch that has befallen my poor gamesaves.

Thanks.

Thanks to chapter select I played that scene right now and I did not have any problem with that door. It even waits for me to go through it before it goes down again. Just make sure you tap triangle long enough in order to lock the door in its position.

UraMallas

slaughterking said:
Thanks to chapter select I played that scene right now and I did not have any problem with that door. It even waits for me to go through it before it goes down again. Just make sure you tap triangle long enough in order to lock the door in its position.
Holy shit, I am an idiot. I guess I was letting go before the thing went all the way up. All of that frustration for nothing! Thanks for checking that for me, and to the others that helped out. I can't believe I made such a bone-headed error. :lol

-viper-

Banned
So I'm playing Uncharted on Crushing, and I've got to say, the difference between Hard and Crushing is day and night. D: Feels a bit cheap in the fact that I ALWAYS die within 3 shots but some enemies can take up to 5 or 6 bullets before going down.

Almost there with my first platinum trophy for the PS3 though! Only 4/5 chapters left! ;D

Should be a cakewalk from now, until I get to last level that is.

Facism

-viper- said:
So I'm playing Uncharted on Crushing, and I've got to say, the difference between Hard and Crushing is day and night. D: Feels a bit cheap in the fact that I ALWAYS die within 3 shots but some enemies can take up to 5 or 6 bullets before going down.

Almost there with my first platinum trophy for the PS3 though! Only 4/5 chapters left! ;D

Should be a cakewalk from now, until I get to last level that is.

The church will change your gender.

-viper-

Banned
I just beat it. got my first platinum!

the church was fucking hard. took me like 10 tries to get it. I managed to beat that section by running back outside when the second wave of enemies came, so they couldn't flank me.

Vyer

So as a new PS3 owner, this was my first pick up.

Have to say - it looks great, the voice acting and animation is superb, and I find a lot of the environments enjoyable to look at and play around in. I've really found the character of Drake to be fun to play as and watch.

Gunplay gets a little repetitive, but in hindsight (I am now on Ch.18) maybe that's not a bad thing, as I'll explain in a bit. For some reason though the gameplay alternates between 'cool' and 'meh' for me. While I enjoy the adventuring overall, it doesn't really change much. And the gunplay was fun at first, but the weapons feel the same and seem unbalanced somehow.

There are times when it just feels like I'm moving from shooting range to shooting range, with a little Tomb Raider thrown in.

Still, it's a good game and I found that it still draws me in and I want to keep moving forward...until now.

Really not happy with the direction the game just took. :( If I wanted to play another
monster/zombie shooting game
I'd have rented one. It's annoying because even though the gameplay may have felt a little 'generic' at times, the game itself as a whole presented an experience for me that still kept it fun. Not anymore. Now I get to
move down dank hallways and shoot Standard Mutant with a shitty gun that takes 5 minutes to reload
. It just feels really out of place, and jarring, and kind of takes me out of the game.

It's like FarCry all over again.

In any case, I'm going to power through it and see it through to the end, because there is a lot of good here and I want to believe the experience as a whole will be worth it. But I'm not going to lie - the turn the game has taken has really kinda sapped my enthusiasm at finishing it. :(

Ydahs

After spending six months on my shelf, I finally decided to jump into Uncharted. I'm not a fan of console shooters (with the exception of Wii shooters, thanks to the Wiimote) and that's one of the reason why I've held back. Well, I'm two hours in and so far it's pretty awesome. Seriously, I knew that this game was good, but I didn't expect it to be this good. If it continues to stay at this level throughout it will certainly be one of my all time favourites.

Graphics are beautiful, controls are better than I expected and the gun battles are intense. Though I have a couple of complaints. Is the game really that short? My save file indicates I'm 28% into the game from 2:09 hours of play... I'm upto Chapter four and I have
just retrieved the map from the plane in the tree.

Also, so far I'm surprised at how easy the game is. I've only died from the platforming sections and the gun battles have been for the most part simple. I expected to die a lot due to my lack of dual analog experience.

Can't wait to play more and I especially cannot wait for the sequel.

-viper-

Banned
Ydahs said:
After spending six months on my shelf, I finally decided to jump into Uncharted. I'm not a fan of console shooters (with the exception of Wii shooters, thanks to the Wiimote) and that's one of the reason why I've held back. Well, I'm two hours in and so far it's pretty awesome. Seriously, I knew that this game was good, but I didn't expect it to be this good. If it continues to stay at this level throughout it will certainly be one of my all time favourites.

Graphics are beautiful, controls are better than I expected and the gun battles are intense. Though I have a couple of complaints. Is the game really that short? My save file indicates I'm 28% into the game from 2:09 hours of play... I'm upto Chapter four and I have

Also, so far I'm surprised at how easy the game is. I've only died from the platforming sections and the gun battles have been for the most part simple. I expected to die a lot due to my lack of dual analog experience.

It should probably take you 8 hours to complete, if you search for all the treasures. 6 hours if you rush it.

crispyben

After 4 hours and 8 chapters straight, I stalled at Chapter 22 in my Hard playthrough yesterday, and I started it so long ago I'm starting to wonder if I've done everything right to get the medal/trophy... I really hope so, because I don't think I'm good enough for Crushing :D It's a shame, as it will soon be the only obstacle between me and my third Platinum (after Burnout Paradise and Mirror's Edge).

crispyben said:
After 4 hours and 8 chapters straight, I stalled at Chapter 22 in my Hard playthrough yesterday, and I started it so long ago I'm starting to wonder if I've done everything right to get the medal/trophy... I really hope so, because I don't think I'm good enough for Crushing :D It's a shame, as it will soon be the only obstacle between me and my third Platinum (after Burnout Paradise and Mirror's Edge).

I applaud you on your Mirror's Edge Platinum. I think I would have killed myself trying to do all those speed runs through the chapters.

andycapps

Ydahs said:

What difficulty are you playing at? I can't remember exactly how long it took me as it's been a long time since I played through it last but I think I was probably somewhere around 10 hours.

crispyben

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
I applaud you on your Mirror's Edge Platinum. I think I would have killed myself trying to do all those speed runs through the chapters.
Not to derail this thread, but I took a loooooooong break and two-starred all time trials before I managed the Chapter 2 and the Chapter 9 speedruns... It is possible, you just need perseverance and control. Which is what I will also need tonight when trying to get to that bastard without getting killed!

crispyben said:
Not to derail this thread, but I took a loooooooong break and two-starred all time trials before I managed the Chapter 2 and the Chapter 9 speedruns... It is possible, you just need perseverance and control. Which is what I will also need tonight when trying to get to that bastard without getting killed!

The final level is actually pretty easy. Once you learn all the enemies patterns.

For the first area, just stay to the right. For the second area, climb on top of the row of boxes that lead into the second fight. This triggers the enemy spawn. Then just pick them off from those boxes. The last two areas are easy.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
crispyben said:

If you can beat hard, you can beat crushing! The biggest jump in difficulty is from normal to hard

gcubed

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
The final level is actually pretty easy. Once you learn all the enemies patterns.

For the first area, just stay to the right. For the second area, climb on top of the row of boxes that lead into the second fight. This triggers the enemy spawn. Then just pick them off from those boxes. The last two areas are easy.

it took me about 15 tries to kill him on Crushing, I agree, its just basically figuring out all the patterns, and where is the best place to hide.

I have to get back to my final Crushing play through as a precursor to U2 (and to get my plat)... its freaking brutal

icechai

crispyben said:

hey fellow mirror's edge platinumer :p if you have the patience for that, you can definitely beat uncharted on crushing. Its just all about finding the shortcuts/easiest way to do things (whether its running past people to the next checkpoint, or leaving the area to shoot some people like someone mentioned earlier about the church). The rest is just accurate use of the cover mechanic :)

XTERC

After a break I returned to Uncharted (due to the hype surrounding U2), I still can't believe how great this game looks/plays/sounds. Anyway I'm now a proud member of the Uncharted Platinum Club.

MickeyPhree

I've been a playstation3 owner since march of 2008.

I just now got this game.

Neogaf, what has been wrong with me? Why did I miss out for so long?

scoobs

I can't believe this game is still $60 new :( I've wanted to buy it for so long but I can't fork over that much for a game as old as this one even if it is amazing... when will the price drop for this game???

NeoUltima

scoobs said:
I can't believe this game is still $60 new :( I've wanted to buy it for so long but I can't fork over that much for a game as old as this one even if it is amazing... when will the price drop for this game???

You can get a new copy from ebay for under $40.

Either that or you can import from the UK (www.game.co.uk) where the game is cheaper. Nice thing about Ps3 being region free is that you can import from places where a certain game may be cheaper.

ACE 1991

scoobs said:

I found mine factory sealed on ebay for $28 including shipping.

Anyways, I'm 88% through the game, and have loved the story up until know. I just got to the *ahem* plot twist, and now the game is kind of ridiculous. I feel like I'm playing some weird deadspace-like horror shooter now. =/

Darkatomz

I actually just picked this game up about 2 weeks ago, despite owning a PS3 since launch month. At the time, I really didn't like the demo (gameplay didn't appeal to me whatsoever). But, after getting Infamous (the main reason why I brought the game) and spending quality time with the Among Thieves beta, I decided to give the game a go.

For it's time, the graphics really stand up. Hell, they can arguably stand up to a bunch of games out there today. Gameplay was, imo, very good given the type of game that it was. Pacing could have been a little better, although it wasn't bad
(the boat areas were trash...)
. Controls were alright, with the exception of the grenade (when compared to Uncharted 2's grenade button anyways).

Now, the voice acting was really fantastic. No wonder people say that you can relate to the characters. Drake and the rest of the cast really did feel like every-people to me. They acted and reacted the way I would imagine people of a witty nature would. And the story? Well, this is definitely the biggest bit that the demo never captured. It was very, very entertaining and well written. While there were minor gaps and flaws in the script, I felt it did the game a lot of justice and was incredibly satisfying to play though.

I guess my biggest beef would be that the game cost $60 for it's short play through. I beat it on hard without much trouble, and I cleared it in a day. I really wish it had more length to it. I also can't believe it's not a Greatest Hits title yet. But, I got it new for about $35, so I can't personally complain about this too much.

Kittonwy

Banned
Darkatomz said:
I actually just picked this game up about 2 weeks ago, despite owning a PS3 since launch month. At the time, I really didn't like the demo (gameplay didn't appeal to me whatsoever). But, after getting Infamous (the main reason why I brought the game) and spending quality time with the Among Thieves beta, I decided to give the game a go.

For it's time, the graphics really stand up. Hell, they can arguably stand up to a bunch of games out there today. Gameplay was, imo, very good given the type of game that it was. Pacing could have been a little better, although it wasn't bad
. Controls were alright, with the exception of the grenade (when compared to Uncharted 2's grenade button anyways).

Now, the voice acting was really fantastic. No wonder people say that you can relate to the characters. Drake and the rest of the cast really did feel like every-people to me. They acted and reacted the way I would imagine people of a witty nature would. And the story? Well, this is definitely the biggest bit that the demo never captured. It was very, very entertaining and well written. While there were minor gaps and flaws in the script, I felt it did the game a lot of justice and was incredibly satisfying to play though.

I guess my biggest beef would be that the game cost $60 for it's short play through. I beat it on hard without much trouble, and I cleared it in a day. I really wish it had more length to it. I also can't believe it's not a Greatest Hits title yet. But, I got it new for about $35, so I can't personally complain about this too much.

Play it on crushing.
angry.gif

jonnyp

Darkatomz said:

It's a platinum title in Europe and cheap. Why don't Americans import platinum PS3 games from Europe?

ACE 1991

Darkatomz said:

I agree with most of this. I'm curious though, from your experience with the UC2 beta what can you say about how the general gunplay feels compared to the original? I always felt that UC just didn't feel as tight as say Gears of War.

enewtabie

Darkatomz said:

I'd agree with your opinion. The jetski areas weren't the best in the world. I tend to think that the gameplay and characters(along with the visuals) made Uncharted a sucess. Totally agree on the price. Maybe it'll drop before UC2. Still a excellent game.:D

DigiMish

You didn't have any problems with the endless waves of pirates the game sends at you?

Particularly the crashed place site where they attack you from the back?

Atrus

Gold Member
DigiMish said:
You didn't have any problems with the endless waves of pirates the game sends at you?

This isn't Call of Duty, the only instance of endless waves lies in the bunker near the end.

AKS

Vyer said:
So as a new PS3 owner, this was my first pick up.

Have to say - it looks great, the voice acting and animation is superb, and I find a lot of the environments enjoyable to look at and play around in. I've really found the character of Drake to be fun to play as and watch.

Gunplay gets a little repetitive, but in hindsight (I am now on Ch.18) maybe that's not a bad thing, as I'll explain in a bit. For some reason though the gameplay alternates between 'cool' and 'meh' for me. While I enjoy the adventuring overall, it doesn't really change much. And the gunplay was fun at first, but the weapons feel the same and seem unbalanced somehow.

There are times when it just feels like I'm moving from shooting range to shooting range, with a little Tomb Raider thrown in.

Still, it's a good game and I found that it still draws me in and I want to keep moving forward...until now.

Really not happy with the direction the game just took. :( If I wanted to play another
monster/zombie shooting game
I'd have rented one. It's annoying because even though the gameplay may have felt a little 'generic' at times, the game itself as a whole presented an experience for me that still kept it fun. Not anymore. Now I get to
move down dank hallways and shoot Standard Mutant with a shitty gun that takes 5 minutes to reload
. It just feels really out of place, and jarring, and kind of takes me out of the game.

It's like FarCry all over again.

In any case, I'm going to power through it and see it through to the end, because there is a lot of good here and I want to believe the experience as a whole will be worth it. But I'm not going to lie - the turn the game has taken has really kinda sapped my enthusiasm at finishing it. :(

You continuously gripe about nothing changing, then you get angry when a major change occurs. No matter what, you're still unhappy. Maybe you have a future critiquing PS3 exclusives for Kotaku? On the other hand, even Kotaku liked Uncharted. I'm really thankful I'm not like you and can appreciate things as they are.

enewtabie

DigiMish said:

There's no spawn point there. Just have to kill the set number.

DigiMish

I was being liberal with "endless". i don't know about you guys, but at some parts there were WAY too many pirates in a single location, and I think the majority of GAF agrees, no matter how awesome the game is.

Here's to hoping they fixed that in UC2.

I Love the first Uncharted. With that said, I really, really hope that Uncharted 2 has a lot more platforming and puzzles to do ( which is the impression I'm getting from the latest footage). I'm playing through Jack and Daxter right now, and I cant help but wish that there was more of that in Uncharted ( and hopefully in uncharted 2)

Vyer

AKS said:
You continuously gripe about nothing changing, then you get angry when a major change occurs. No matter what, you're still unhappy. Maybe you have a future critiquing PS3 exclusives for Kotaku? On the other hand, even Kotaku liked Uncharted. I'm really thankful I'm not like you and can appreciate things as they are.

calm down dude. I didn't insult your mother.

Notice you glossed over what I like, and got what I didn't completely wrong. Now, are you capable of a non fanboy rage discussion? Or should we even bother?

Darkatomz

ACE 1991 said:
I agree with most of this. I'm curious though, from your experience with the UC2 beta what can you say about how the general gunplay feels compared to the original? I always felt that UC just didn't feel as tight as say Gears of War.

Even if you did feel that Gears had a tighter command, I personally do not feel that it's even close to balanced (if you decide to somehow overlook the mountain of issues that the game has). Maybe it will seem less snappy to some people, simply because of the pace. Gears is a little faster in terms of gameplay and controls. Uncharted could feel arguably slow, but is more realistic, for lack of better words.

For one, the games in Gears, regardless of mode, are a lot more dependent on weapon whoring. Get a good player with a torque, boom, or snipe, then you'll get a few legs up in terms of map control and kills. Uncharted is a lot less dependent on the weapons (the only real power weapons are the snipe and grenade launcher), leaving the outcome a lot more depending on teamwork.

ZeroRay

When I first bought the game I thought it was simply "good" and wished that the game didn't have so many waves of enemies and more puzzles/platforming. After replaying the game on hard and crushing, I grew to appreciate the combat system quite a bit and the way ND continuously amped up the encounters. It became one of my favorite games this gen.

What I want for U2 is more of a balance between Puzzles/Platforming/Action. It looks like we're getting just that with many of the elements meshing judging from the gameplay videos from 2 months ago and E3.

ACE 1991

Darkatomz said:
Even if you did feel that Gears had a tighter command, I personally do not feel that it's even close to balanced (if you decide to somehow overlook the mountain of issues that the game has). Maybe it will seem less snappy to some people, simply because of the pace. Gears is a little faster in terms of gameplay and controls. Uncharted could feel arguably slow, but is more realistic, for lack of better words.

For one, the games in Gears, regardless of mode, are a lot more dependent on weapon whoring. Get a good player with a torque, boom, or snipe, then you'll get a few legs up in terms of map control and kills. Uncharted is a lot less dependent on the weapons (the only real power weapons are the snipe and grenade launcher), leaving the outcome a lot more depending on teamwork.

So what is your opinion on the gunplay of UC2 compared to UC1? Does it feel pretty much the same, or a little tighter?

JoJo13

Banned
Darkatomz said:

Gears' movement is much slower and clunkier. I hate the way gears controls. Uncharted is more fluid and faster, if anything. The roadie run gets annoying, too. I hate how 'linear' the run movement is. Also I agree with you about the balancing issues in Gears. Weapon whoring is horrible in that game, and also I hate how worthless the stock weapons are. It takes so long to bring someone down in that game with the lancer.

Uncharted 2's gunplay and MP is much, MUCH better IMHO.

JoJo13

Banned
ACE 1991 said:
So what is your opinion on the gunplay of UC2 compared to UC1? Does it feel pretty much the same, or a little tighter?

I liked the gunplay in UC1, but the gunplay in UC2 feels different. I'm not sure what is inferred by 'tighter', but the guns handle differently. Seems like they pack more punch or something.

Darkatomz

ACE 1991 said:

Hard to say. My play styles when playing against CPUs and players are quite different. Headshots didn't feel as responsive as I felt they could have I guess (and some others felt the same way), but this was the beta, so who knows.

I thought this game was solid. Good but not great. I really thought the weapons lacked impact which lead to the combat overall not feeling very satisfying, I also would have liked more platforming and tougher puzzles. But I enjoyed the game alot and after playing the Uncharted 2 beta (which was AMAZING) I think my worries about he weapons have been fixed and from recent media of the game, there looks to be a greater focus on platforming and puzzles and I believe this could very well end up being my GOTY. We shall see, I trust ND.

Top Bottom