• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

LaneDS

Sapiens said:
Just finished it after casually playing it the last week.

And wow.

I can't think of a console game with better graphics, and this game is two years old.

It really is still in the upper echelon of console game graphics, which is amazing. Also amazing is how the sequel shames it visually, even in it's multiplayer beta(s).

Binabik15

SabinFigaro said:
I finally picked this up during the price drop, and I just finished it on hard. What a fantastic game. I think I'll give it some time though before I go on my crushing run.

A quick question: hard wasn't really all that hard. Will crushing be significantly more difficult?

You´re probably already done with crushing, but I´ll share my thoughts.

I had less trouble with crushing. It was my 5th playthrough (trophie patch and all) and I had figured out all the exploits (church) and knew the spawn patterns and which guys to shot first and basically breezed through Crushing compared to hard. It helped that I´m a headshot machine with Drake, even though I normally suck at shooters.

So for U2 I´d love an even harder or at least different difficulty, that maybe adds other enemy types into encounters or mixes up their starting and spawn points. :D

LaneDS said:
It really is still in the upper echelon of console game graphics, which is amazing. Also amazing is how the sequel shames it visually, even in it's multiplayer beta(s).

It´s gorgeous, but you can see some cracks if you look hard enough. In the U-boat level you can see the empty green background if you position yourself on a specific rock while climbing down and look hard enough. Must be a bitch to make sure this is all covered up with actual geometrie, so a few slips are okay. Same level on the U-boat, there is a rust/bullet hole that, at least for me, turns into a yellow spot with a x-shaped thing sticking out when I approach it from a certain angle. At first I thought mx PS3 was dying :lol

I can´t wait for U2 and even better wet t-shirt shaders :D

gentlemanfinn

Neo Member
Got my platinum today, in time for Uncharted 2 :D

Was pretty confused when i found an extra treasure, thought the save was broken and I would have to start over. Luckily it was just Naughty Dog acting crazy by adding 61 of 60 treasures o_O :lol

What is up with some of the rewards needing button combos to unlock, are there hints in the game? Or do you just have to try, until you get lucky?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I'm going to finally beat this before 2 comes out, mainly because of the bonus in 2 for completing the game, and it's still an unbelivable experience. Too many firefights, but the adventuring and storytelling are in a completely different stratosphere. I really can't wait to see what they've done next.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I've been working on my crushing playthrough lately, it's tough but not impossible. But fuck the trophy for killing 5 enemies in a row after softening then up with gunfire, that shit sucks and it's too bad that the same is in the sequel.

satriales

momolicious said:
Game was a bit too short, i think a little longer would have been better
I thought it was a pretty long game. I think it took me about 12-14hrs on my first playthrough, but I liked to explore every area.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Snuggler said:
I've been working on my crushing playthrough lately, it's tough but not impossible. But fuck the trophy for killing 5 enemies in a row after softening then up with gunfire, that shit sucks and it's too bad that the same is in the sequel.
Chapter 1 on easy. Shoot from the hip then punch. Rinse and repeat four more times.

gentlemanfinn

Neo Member
Snuggler said:
Do it in the first chapter on the boat on easy. Blind-fire while running up to one, hit square and BAM. One punch one kill :D

EDIT: Beaten

Also, why do you think it sucks?

Puck

Banned
Snuggler said:
It's easy, it would be stupid to do that on crushing, just look up a gamefaq, i think you can do it on easy on the first level (intro) on the boat.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I just think that it sucks to be forced to play unnaturally to get a trophy or achievement, but it's not like that will hold me back from enjoying a game.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
well, to be fair, it's not exactly a huge number, and it shows the player that in desperate times when ammo is scarce, there are other options.

It saved my ass once or twice during my crushing playthrough, at least. I found that when I played through the game the first time, I rarely used the melee combat, but with each repeat playthrough I use it more and more.

The Steel Fist move is timing based, just like a Brutal Combo. With the pistol in hand you run up, fire one shot from the hip and then punch. The difference is that there's no in-game tutorial for it, you only find out about it when you go for the Trophies. It's quite a useful move on Crushing where a Brutal Combo will leave you exposed for too long.

krioto

Just got platinum on this Saturday morning.

I think the crushing difficulty was not so bad - I played through on Hard at 7hrs 21 mins, and went straight into crushing and did it in 8hrs flat.

Chapter 4 plane crash area by far the most annoying, but once you win that, the other hard parts don't seem so bad.

Can't wait for uncharted 2.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
matrix-cat said:
The Steel Fist move is timing based, just like a Brutal Combo. With the pistol in hand you run up, fire one shot from the hip and then punch. The difference is that there's no in-game tutorial for it, you only find out about it when you go for the Trophies. It's quite a useful move on Crushing where a Brutal Combo will leave you exposed for too long.
from my experience, it's not really so much a timing based thing as it is an enemy health thing. if the enemy is damaged beyond a certain point, Nate will automatically do the one hit kill punch. For instance, you can punch the enemy a few times, break the 'combo' and then punch him again, and the last punch will be a KO.

Holy hell, crushing isn't necessarily that hard, it's just annoying. Once you get stuck in one spot, it takes a while to get through it. Chapter 4 felt like it took forever, and I'm only up to Chapter 6. I think this would best be played in spurts.

I must recant my previous post: I just barreled through a good chunk of the game and am now at Chapter 14. For some reason, Chapter 4 was an arduous journey on crushing, but maybe that's because my skills weren't up to snuff :p

Dementia

Android18a said:
I've got 36 treasures. Can't for the life of me find any more.
I managed to get ~55 of them on my first playthrough just by exploring and being observant. A few of them are kinda tricky, but you should be able to find at least 50 of them if you just make sure you run a lap around each room/area before moving on to the next. And always check the nooks and crannies (whatever that means). Basically, if you see a suspicious looking corner or ledge, chances are there is a treasure hidden.

Alternatively, your TV might suck so much that you need to be 5 feet away from a treasure to notice its glow.

Rez said:
from my experience, it's not really so much a timing based thing as it is an enemy health thing. if the enemy is damaged beyond a certain point, Nate will automatically do the one hit kill punch. For instance, you can punch the enemy a few times, break the 'combo' and then punch him again, and the last punch will be a KO.

I experimented a bit when going for the Trophies, and I've definitely killed enemies at full health with a properly timed Steel Fist. I think even the punch animation might be different when you pull it off properly.

Ryn

Just finished this game earlier today. Wow that was pretty awesome. 47/60 Treasures on the first go. Urrrg off by 13.

The best I can say is to rely on your pistol. Four quick shots to the chest per Pirate will bring them down. And don't take cover. Hide behind things, but don't stick to them; if you position yourself behind a wall and shoot past it you reveal much less of your body than you do when actually using the cover system. In the second part of that fight when the Pirates spawn on the other side of the area (where you came in), the way I got through it was by standing behind one of the pillars and shooting past it on either side (using L3 to change shoulders). If I'd actually stuck to one of the pillars I would never have got through.

Steroyd

Spoit said:
Since this thread is bumped anyway, anyone have tips for crushing chapter 4, when you come out of the plane?

Be aggressive, be in positions where it's really hard to get flanked, and preferrably try to funnel the enemy into your bullets, shotty's are garunteed to come to you.

PBz0r

Banned
Spoit said:
Since this thread is bumped anyway, anyone have tips for crushing chapter 4, when you come out of the plane?
There's no sense in hiding in that fight. Multiple eniemies will rush towards you and unless you can make 16 headshots before getting hit twice, you're toast. Drop down from the plane, rush towards the rock where the enemies drop from and go steel fist (blindfire + melee) on their asses before they can do anything.

Trust me, I was stuck there for two days. It's the hardest encounter in the campaign on Crushing, save for maybe the room with the water in chapter 6.

I guess I'm the one to keep bumping this thread, but it's important:

Platinum'd

Oh man, the rest of the game on crushing was a pretty much a joke. I only died once from Chapter 17 to the end of the game, earning the precious Survivor trophy en route. Crushing in less than three days? Yes sir!

DeadGzuz

Banned
NewBrof said:
am I the only one re-playing it on easy? very casual experience, but good preparation for UC2

I just re-played on normal for the practice and trophies. It was easier the second time, but I still died plenty.

NewBrof

did not like the last 3-4 chapters of the game. I felt totally dominated by the game instead of vice versa. Imagine an Indiana Jones Movie where the last 20 minutes Indy gets owned by his enemies.... I hope they give UC2 a better finish. And I played on easy! Difficulty should not ramp up in that kind of game... because if you play a part 5 times, the whole movie feeling is broken.... right?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
NewBrof said:
did not like the last 3-4 chapters of the game. I felt totally dominated by the game instead of vice versa. Imagine an Indiana Jones Movie where the last 20 minutes Indy gets owned by his enemies.... I hope they give UC2 a better finish. And I played on easy! Difficulty should not ramp up in that kind of game... because if you play a part 5 times, the whole movie feeling is broken.... right?

A video game is still a game, not a movie. Uncharted is not a 'press the win button' type game. Actually most of Naughty Dog games are pretty difficult and have a lot of retrying for some people. Uncharted 2 has a 'very easy' difficulty mode below easy difficulty, so you're probably not the only one who had trouble playing the first game.

NewBrof

ok, sorry. But Uncharted wants to give me that cinematic feeling (and I appreciate that).
I did't realize that there is a very easy setting... that I should have tried...

I think I do understand better now what Jonathan "Braid" Blow meant when he said that there is conflict in a game between challenge and story progression. I did enjoy the game and story the most part until the last few chapters, which were a chore. There I felt that the game aspect took over the story aspect... it felt unbalanced, because the 16 chapters before felt so good and had a great flow. The game was not an obstacle to the story progression.

The last part was like the game was throwing obstacle after obstacle at me so that it felt like it tried to prevent me finishing it.

I hope my thoughts are a bit clearer expressed now...

AniHawk

Just downloaded the demo. Gonna give it a shot. Aside from about a half-hour of UC2 multiplayer at E3, this will be the first time I've played a Naughty Dog game since Jak II.

AniHawk said:
Just downloaded the demo. Gonna give it a shot. Aside from about a half-hour of UC2 multiplayer at E3, this will be the first time I've played a Naughty Dog game since Jak II.

I do want to say though the demo doesn't good a good job portraying the elements of the complete game in my opinion. You are just thrown into the middle of a gunfire and learning to fight your way out.

AniHawk

BeautifulMemory said:
I do want to say though the demo doesn't good a good job portraying the elements of the complete game in my opinion. You are just thrown into the middle of a gunfire and learning to fight your way out.

Sounds a lot like the multiplayer in UC2.

AniHawk

Well you were right about the demo.

You know, even six years removed you can really tell when a Naughty Dog game is a Naughty Dog game. The animation has a certain quality to it (and it's good animation too). So does the writing, although that's less of a good thing.

The abundant use of green is great and helps make up for this generation's lack of it. Everything does tend to blend in a little too much together though. Was a bit difficult to figure out where to go at times.

The shooting is probably okay in smaller doses. Running back to back to back to back to back to back with shooting sequences really, really drags. Probably not the best idea for a demo on Sony's part. The controls are good, but the aiming's a bit slow (UC3 w/ Swand please?).

For the rest of the night I played inFamous and echochrome demos. Echochrome was easily the best one. I don't know why I needed all that story leading up to inFamous. The train sequence sucked. Ah yes- it also froze during the demo. God damn. Oh well, one out of three aint bad.

Anyway, I'll assume the full game isn't as bad as the demo. And considering UC2 is supposed to be better, I'll try out UC2 first.

Banned
AniHawk said:

You know, even six years removed you can really tell when a Naughty Dog game is a Naughty Dog game. The animation has a certain quality to it (and it's good animation too). So does the writing, although that's less of a good thing.

The abundant use of green is great and helps make up for this generation's lack of it. Everything does tend to blend in a little too much together though. Was a bit difficult to figure out where to go at times.

The shooting is probably okay in smaller doses. Running back to back to back to back to back to back with shooting sequences really, really drags. Probably not the best idea for a demo on Sony's part. The controls are good, but the aiming's a bit slow (UC3 w/ Swand please?).

For the rest of the night I played inFamous and echochrome demos. Echochrome was easily the best one. I don't know why I needed all that story leading up to inFamous. The train sequence sucked. Ah yes- it also froze during the demo. God damn. Oh well, one out of three aint bad.

Anyway, I'll assume the full game isn't as bad as the demo. And considering UC2 is supposed to be better, I'll try out UC2 first.

Just saw your name bandied about today re: the GOTY thread. You should do it again. Was fun last year.

Binabik15

AniHawk said:

Well, I loved the demo, but the full game is even better.

And no, you should play the first one first, you want to know the characters as much as possible before playing U2.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
AniHawk said:
Writing in their previous games was done by completely different people though (and to me at least, that very much shows)

Chris R

So I just started to really get into this since I bought Uncharted 2 much sooner than I expected. Got through the 4th chapter in one sitting which is the farthest I've ever been in the game. I don't like the fact that it seems I'm always out of ammo and that the stupid enemies love to come in waves. Sure it makes the game easier (well I have died like 15 times so far on easy 3 or so to gunfire/running out of ammo and the rest to trying to platform incorrectly) but when will baddies learn to bum rush the hero instead of lining up to take a beating. Still for the most part the game has been fun. Can't see how I'll ever beat this on crushing though :lol

jax (old)

Banned
AniHawk said:

Just want to say I think it's very ironic you liked the most trivial of the 3 demos/games. Echochrome is alright til it starts breaking it's own game logic at which point you go "WTF".

Uncharted1+2 and infamous are both worth owning and keeping in your collections. Both have immense replay value and infamous, u'd want to finish both good n evil. I did. Fantastic title.

Binabik15

rhfb said:
So I just started to really get into this since I bought Uncharted 2 much sooner than I expected. Got through the 4th chapter in one sitting which is the farthest I've ever been in the game. I don't like the fact that it seems I'm always out of ammo and that the stupid enemies love to come in waves. Sure it makes the game easier (well I have died like 15 times so far on easy 3 or so to gunfire/running out of ammo and the rest to trying to platform incorrectly) but when will baddies learn to bum rush the hero instead of lining up to take a beating. Still for the most part the game has been fun. Can't see how I'll ever beat this on crushing though :lol

Try a harder difficulty and enjoy being rushed. And don´t run out of ammo, how do you even do that?

Yoboman

AniHawk said:

I didn't realise UC2 had a demo? Or is it the UC1 demo? In which case it's the worst part of the game, IMO. And UC2 is wayy better

I also wouldn't compare UC's writing to Jak II, considering Amy Hennig wasn't part of the team then. I'm sure you'll enjoy them, but I'd go UC1 through UC2 first myself.

Not necessary but chronological order tends to make sense.

People shouldn't put so much stock in demos. They're usually either a really boring tutorial (Valkyria Chronicles), some random part of the game taken out of context (Uncharted), or the best part of the game (Bioshock). Good for a taste, but should never be used to judge a game.

Top Bottom