• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

AniHawk

Lord Error said:
Writing in their previous games was done by completely different people though (and to me at least, that very much shows)
Jax said:
Uncharted1+2 and infamous are both worth owning and keeping in your collections. Both have immense replay value and infamous, u'd want to finish both good n evil. I did. Fantastic title.

I have Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time, LBP, and Valkyria unopened right now. I'm gonna go through them first and probably get Tools of Destruction and Uncharted 2 next. I have about 3 Wii games and Zelda coming up too, so I have a bit of a backlog before I get to those. And don't feel bad that I didn't care for inFamous. I didn't care for Crackdown either.

Yoboman said:
I didn't realise UC2 had a demo? Or is it the UC1 demo? In which case it's the worst part of the game, IMO. And UC2 is wayy better

I also wouldn't compare UC's writing to Jak II, considering Amy Hennig wasn't part of the team then. I'm sure you'll enjoy them, but I'd go UC1 through UC2 first myself.

Not necessary but chronological order tends to make sense.

To be honest, Naughty Dog is one of the reasons I don't really care about story in games. I don't think I'd be skipping over ingenious level design by going to Uncharted 2. The only main game segment of UC2 I played was in this city and there were a bunch of people shooting us. It was co-op so it was part of the main game I think. We would only progress so far and then the shooting would start again. I wasn't as used to the controls then as I was with the UC1 demo, so that was part of it. It just seems like there are just way too many waves of people. Maybe I played the worst parts of both games but man it drags.

As far as the writing goes, I might need to play the full game, but Nathan Drake's wittiness is a little annoying. It's like John McClane meets Indiana Jones but artificial. Like the way Crash Bandicoot was designed to be the cool new platforming dude like Sonic was. I think it's his attitude that bugs me and makes me connect him to Jak II's Jak. Again, I need to play Uncharted 2.

People shouldn't put so much stock in demos. They're usually either a really boring tutorial (Valkyria Chronicles), some random part of the game taken out of context (Uncharted), or the best part of the game (Bioshock). Good for a taste, but should never be used to judge a game.

Sometimes they can be really good though. Batman's demo made me want the game. Trine's demo made me want the game. RE4's demo made me want the game. inFamous and Uncharted are two games I probably wouldn't have bought anyway. Now I know I don't want inFamous.

Greg

AniHawk said:
The only main game segment of UC2 I played was in this city and there were a bunch of people shooting us. It was co-op so it was part of the main game I think. We would only progress so far and then the shooting would start again.
Co-op is completely different than the SP - the layout of those sections of the levels are the same, but co-op is based around eliminating waves of enemies unlike SP.

UC2 as a whole has less shooting, and the shooting that is present is way more open in terms of how you can go about it... and it helps that it mixes it up well between set pieces.

Chris R

Greg said:
UC2 as a whole has less shooting, and the shooting that is present is way more open in terms of how you can go about it... and it helps that it mixes it up well between set pieces.
Really? That sounds like great news :D Just started on chapter 6, going to try to finish the game by tonight or tomorrow (slowly getting better at the game, but I still run out of ammo :lol )

AniHawk

Greg said:
Co-op is completely different than the SP - the layout of those sections of the levels are the same, but co-op is based around eliminating waves of enemies unlike SP.

That sounds like fun then. Good to hear that the co-op is really all that different from the single player.

Chris R

Just finished the library, starting chapter 14. My only real gripe with the game is the fact that the enemies are clones. I mean it might be a story twist down the road somewhere, but it would be cool if there were 10+ models for them to choose from for each of the enemies, instead of just one (fat dude with the shotgun, prick with the portable mortar cannon, bullshit dudes with the fucking laser sight that shoot you from so far away, dudes in the straw hats with pistols, ect)

Chris R

Just finished the game. Story was alright, except for the twist they threw at you towards the end. I don't like or play survival horror games, so I'm glad that whole segment was rather short, or I might have turned the game off never to finish it again :lol

Now to read through the entire thread and start my hard/crushing playthroughs. UC2 should be here tomorrow too :lol

Oni Jazar

rhfb said:
Just finished the library, starting chapter 14. My only real gripe with the game is the fact that the enemies are clones. I mean it might be a story twist down the road somewhere, but it would be cool if there were 10+ models for them to choose from for each of the enemies, instead of just one (fat dude with the shotgun, prick with the portable mortar cannon, bullshit dudes with the fucking laser sight that shoot you from so far away, dudes in the straw hats with pistols, ect)

Every game does this. That's why so many games feature masked villans.

Man I love me some Uncharted, and I definitely think that portions of the first game were more fun than the 2nd, though 2nd far surpasses its predecessor!

Chris R

Oni Jazar said:
Every game does this. That's why so many games feature masked villans.
I mean it really wouldn't take them TOO long to do it I think, just have a few different shirts and hats for each of the enemy types and randomize that each time one spawns. I mean it is kinda nice that they are the same the entire game because by the end of it I knew who I needed to take out first and then which order to do after that (cannon dudes, then shotgun guys, then anyone else)

Did pretty good finding treasure too, 40/60 with no guide.

WTF? I got all the treasures, unlocked all the treasure trophies except the ones for 20 and 25. Also there are other trophies that are glitched. I don't care about trophies too much, but just because I was playing through the Campaign, figured might as well go for it.

Anyone else trophies glitched? Also, couple of the trophies with the gun specific kills are also glitched I think.

Hey I've only played Uncharted 2, which would guys say has more combat? Because really I like the exploring platforming bits much more than fighting dudes all the time.

LiK

Neuromancer said:
Hey I've only played Uncharted 2, which would guys say has more combat? Because really I like the exploring platforming bits much more than fighting dudes all the time.

Uncharted 1 has some steallar platforming and wall climbing that the second one doesn't have as much, imo. the combat is a tad worse cuz the guys are bullet sponges.

Playing through for the first time after finishing UC2 a few weeks ago. While the graphics, camera, and writing are all great in 1, ND definitely upped the bar for 2 without changing all the things that work. If anyone has a choice, I would definitely recommend playing them in order - not because of the story but because the 2nd game is just so much more polished. Drake is a bit douchey with some of his lines in the first one. I never got that sense in the 2nd one.

Melfice7

bar_01.gif

this

LiK said:
Uncharted 1 has some steallar platforming and wall climbing that the second one doesn't have as much, imo. the combat is a tad worse cuz the guys are bullet sponges.

That, and that grenades are not assigned to a button. Makes Uncharted 2's battles more entertaining.

LiK

Freedom = $1.05 said:
That, and that grenades are not assigned to a button. Makes Uncharted 2's battles more entertaining.
Yea, rarely used nades in UC1 cuz it was atrocious to control

LiK said:
OK thanks I'll have to give it a try sometime, I bet its super cheap. Maybe on easy they won't take as many rounds.

LiK

Neuromancer said:
OK thanks I'll have to give it a try sometime, I bet its super cheap. Maybe on easy they won't take as many rounds.
Yea, if you're playing strictly for the experience, Easy is fine and still fun.

Andvary

Finished this game last monday, it's so awesome and polished that is hard to believe it was Naughty Dog's first PS3 game. I'm playing it on hard now and I think I'm having even more fun :D

Chris R

So I just started my Hard playthough, trying to unlock Crushing to get the Plat. Game is kinda hard considering I played the first time on Easy (and UC2 on VERY Easy :lol ). I've only died once so far though, about half way through what I would consider the hardest chapter (4) in the game. The best part was I didn't die in the first major "shootout" area. At least the waves of enemies aren't timed and instead come only after the last enemy of the previous wave is dead. Playing much "slower" and working my way around cover, conserving ammo, and trying to lure single enemies at a time to their death.

Also figured I might as well get all the treasures in this play through, only need 15 more now. I can't seem to find a chapter select option, but that is maybe because I'm not playing on a "completed" save file. Just really wish there was a stealth option similar to UC2 for this game. That has been the hardest thing so far for me, having to try to adapt back to the simpler style of UC1 gameplay when UC2 elements would rock to have. Would make things so much easier :lol Here is hoping UC3 can be played completely with stealth melee attacks and a tranquilizer gun :lol

Just finished this today. First game I finished on my shiny new PS3 Slim and I'm happy to say that I made a wise decision to play this game first.

Andvary

Finished the game in Crushing today and got the remaining medals I needed , so I got my Platinum Trophy!

It really says something when you finish a game for the 3rd time and you still want to play it. :D

Scythesurge said:
Man I love me some Uncharted, and I definitely think that portions of the first game were more fun than the 2nd, though 2nd far surpasses its predecessor!
The battles were much better set up in Uncharted 1. I always gave myself a pat on the back beating the Church and Courtyards in Crushing mode without cheesing it and I never cheesed those.

I got this game along with my PS3 yesterday. It was the first time I booted a PS3 game since Metal Gear Solid 4, 2 years ago. After playing through MGS4 I traded my PS3 in for an XBOX 360.

My wife was very happy, it was the first time I had an erection in months!

Seriously though, this is the first time i've booted up a game this gen and felt like it truly was something amazing. I am going through the first parts of the game, and I just climbed a ton of rocks to get to a submarine that was in the middle of a florest. Along the way I found a trophy that was in a hidden part. I was SO happy to find that!

This is the same feeling I've had when I played Mario 64 on the N64. It really feels like it's next-gen.

The controls feel a little hard to get used to, but I'm pretty sure i`ll get used to it.

I can't wait to play the second one

Went back and played through on hard difficulty. It wasn't that bad. The jeep sequence gave me the most trouble not the underground water part which was what I was fearing. I'm tempted to just go right into crushing now.

gdt

I got my PS3 on Thursday, and I've been playing this since.

Well, at first I didn't really like the combat all that much. I think it's because I was just getting used to the controller and the controls. The DS3 analog stick just feels...different compared to the 360 one, so I just had to get used to it.

I played like 3 hours straight today, and it all just finally clicked for me. The combat is great. I'm dieing alot because theses dudes and tough and Nate takes like two bullets, but that's ok. I do better next time.

This game is still gorgeous, btw, just wish it was in 1080p.

Sidenote, how do I install PS3 games? I've been looking, but I see no option to install this game.

Edit: I'm in the part where I have to turn on the generators, right after the "twist" (which I'm digging. Straight Indiana Jones style!), btw. I think I'm almost done. The PS3 memory thing says I'm 88% complete.

DR2K

Banned
gdt5016 said:

Well, at first I didn't really like the combat all that much. I think it's because I was just getting used to the controller and the controls. The DS3 analog stick just feels...different compared to the 360 one, so I just had to get used to it.

I play like 3 hours straight today, and it all just finally clicked for me. The combat is great. I'm dieing alot because theses dudes and tough and Nate takes like two bullets, but that's ok. I do better next time.

Sidenote, how do I install PS3 games? I've been looking, but I see no option to install this game.

You can't install games in the same way you would on the X360, it's optional for developers. Usually mandatory for some games.

ZeroRay

gdt5016 said:

I played like 3 hours straight today, and it all just finally clicked for me. The combat is great. I'm dieing alot because theses dudes and tough and Nate takes like two bullets, but that's ok. I do better next time.

Edit: I'm in the part where I have to turn on the generators, right after the "twist" (which I'm digging. Straight Indiana Jones style!), btw. I think I'm almost done. The PS3 memory thing says I'm 88% complete.

No install; PS3 games either have a mandatory one or none at all (VERY few have optional ones). Glad you're enjoying it, the combat gets much crazier later on.

gdt5016 said:

That's a great game that you picked up.
Don't forget to get the "Game of the Year" edition of UC2. UC2 is just amazing. I still play the MP/Co-op to this day.

gdt

ZeroRay said:
No install; PS3 games either have a mandatory one or none at all (VERY few have optional ones). Glad you're enjoying it, the combat gets much crazier later on.

Ahh ok, thanks.

gdt

pharmboy044 said:
That's a great game that you picked up.
Don't forget to get the "Game of the Year" edition of UC2. UC2 is just amazing. I still play the MP/Co-op to this day.

Yeah, that's immediatly next. Does UC2 have split screen co-op btw?

Alot of my soon-to-be-money will be spent catching up on my total PS3 backlog. Helps that this holiday season isn't all that jampacked.

gdt5016 said:
Yeah, that's immediatly next. Does UC2 have split screen co-op btw?

Alot of my soon-to-be-money will be spent catching up on my total PS3 backlog. Helps that this holiday season isn't all that jampacked.
The co-op is actually a different mode then the campaign and there is no split screen co-op. Only 3 player online co-op.

So cool to think that some people out there are still discovering this game.

Glad to see people aren't just picking up UC2 and missing out on UC. I think with a game as character-heavy as UC, you need UC1 to get the most out of UC2.

Plus, UC is still a really nice challenge.

Yeah as mind-blowingly awesome Among Thieves is, I can't really give it that many props without ignoring Drake's Fortune. The sequel was a million times better but the original was still great. :D

gdt

Wario64 said:
UC1 was much harder than UC2 too. At least I thought so.

I actually think UC1 is a bit too hard for normal. At least it started out that way for me. And Nathan still takes very, very few hits before going down.

Turning down the difficulty a bit sounds like a good idea to me, at least for a normal playthrough.

Guevara

The developers confessed that the hit detection in Uncharted 1 was a little screwed up. This led to overly difficult enemies on all settings. This was apparently fixed in Uncharted 2.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
jett said:
Crushing is infinitely harder on UC1. That was just pain to be honest.
Agreed. I think this just about sums it up for me.

UC1 Easy = UC2 Normal
UC1 Normal = UC2 Hard
UC1 Hard = UC2 Crushing

jett

D-Member
BruceLeeRoy said:
Crushing was hard but I wouldn't say a pain. Now Radec on KZ2 is what I would call a pain.

Well...Radec's room is just shit game design that soured me on the entire campaign, it quite literally voided all the fun I was having with the game.

Crushing is not that bad, but it's a serious challenge. Sometimes it seems a bit unfair. I think crushing on UC1 really shows just how better designed the levels and enemy encounters in UC2 are.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
All of my play-throughs of Drake's Fortune - bar the first - were on Hard, which would explain why I didn't find Among Thieves particularly challenging on said difficulty. Still an immensely fun game, nonetheless. Easily my favourite game thus far this generation... a title which Drake's Fortune held until the aforementioned sequel hit. I must've played through it at least half a dozen times in the year leading up to Among Thieves :lol

Top Bottom