• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

ACE 1991

Darkatomz said:
Hard to say. My play styles when playing against CPUs and players are quite different. Headshots didn't feel as responsive as I felt they could have I guess (and some others felt the same way), but this was the beta, so who knows.

Yeah, I found this to be a problem in UC1 as well. I think it's partly because UC is rated Teen, so they can't have a gears style head explosion and loud noise to accompany this. That's all fine and dandy, but I'm kind of sick of gratuitously violent video games at the moment.

Watkins

I can't believe the amount of people hating on
the monsters
! I thought that was a nice change of gameplay and among my favourite parts of the game actually. I am inclined to say that I think it's partially because people think it's scary. I love horror games and thought this was a very nice addition. Also, this part of the game shouldn't be played like the rest of it. To make it a real blast to go through, you should throw away that aiming habit of yours and just gun em all down from the hip! YOu move around = good, they don't shoot = good, and you can run straight up to them and blast them in the face. This is seriously a LOT of fun and if you haven't adapted this kind of tactic before, I encourage you to go back and try it! The MP40 is the perfect weapon to blast
monsters
from the hip, and I also like the sound of that gun, as I did in Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

Althoran

I found this to be a great game and will definitely buy U2.
I didn't mind the twist that much. I found it was easier than the enemies at the end of the game.
I loved how they didn't change the enemies for other enemies that needed more bullets to kill but increased the AI during the game.

ACE 1991

I've really, really loved this game up until the last hour or so that I'm currently going through. The plot twist was really dumb,
crypt zombies? seriously?
and the game is basically pure shooting with little platforming. I don't know, maybe this will change before I finish the game.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Yay, I finally platinum'd Uncharted :D
I had stopped playing 3-4 months ago (chapter 13 on Crushing). I picked the game up again yesterday, got to chapter 14, and blazed through the rest of the game today. And it was awesome.

Blunty

Hi, I'm trying to finish my playthrough on crushing at the moment, but I was a bit worried that I wouldn't get the trophy for it. I think that I might have started playing it before before the trophy patch. The reason I'm worried is that I've got loads of the treasures but none of the trophies for them, but I'm guessing that this is because I carried them over from my first game, so I could have started it after the patch. Either way, will I still get the trophy for finishing the game on crushing? I'm 10 chapters in so don't really want to start again. Thanks!

I just finished Uncharted and really enjoyed it. The first hour or so seemed average to me but after that i loved it. How did gamespot only score this an 8.0?? What the fuck?? Gears is much more repetitive and that gets a 9.6. I don't usually care about reviews but that shit infuriates me.

Even on the harder difficulties i didn't find the shootouts overly frustrating. They just require intelligence because the enemies will accurately lob grenades, shift positions, flank you, destroy your cover.. genuinely engaging A.I that you hardly see in other games (like gears of war). It's not a perfect game but still heaps of fun, the sequel should be awesome.

Fix The Scientist said:
I just finished Uncharted and really enjoyed it. The first hour or so seemed average to me but after that i loved it. How did gamespot only score this an 8.0?? What the fuck?? Gears is much more repetitive and that gets a 9.6. I don't usually care about reviews but that shit infuriates me.

I feel like they're both equally repetitive...just that Uncharted's combat is more nimble and the locations are more varied than the original Gears.

Both great games though. The reviews don't matter.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Currently trophy whoring this. How difficult is "Hard" mode? Also, why the hell can't I play "Crushing" until I beat hard. I hate when they lock modes down.

JoJo13

Banned
alr1ghtstart said:
Currently trophy whoring this. How difficult is "Hard" mode? Also, why the hell can't I play "Crushing" until I beat hard. I hate when they lock modes down.

Hard isn't that difficult. Actually, playing hard mode is a good precursor to Crushing, as I felt that after playing hard mode, Crushing seemed to go by much easier. I died less on my Crushing play-through.

ZeroRay

JoJo13 said:
Hard isn't that difficult. Actually, playing hard mode is a good precursor to Crushing, as I felt that after playing hard mode, Crushing seemed to go by much easier. I died less on my Crushing play-through.

Yup. The tricks I learned from playing on hard made my crushing experience a lot easier.

B-Dex

I'm feeling bored today so I thought I'd try to get all the trophies for this finally.

Does anyone have a link to, or know, how many medal points unlocks what?

I'm already on chapter 18 collecting all the treasure. I've gotta about half of the weapons trophies just need a few more specific ones like 20 stealth kills, hangman, etc....

LaneDS

Been on an Uncharted kick the last week and played through on Hard, which wasn't too bad minus a few of the more intense encounters. However Crushing is destroying me. I'm on chapter 3 or chapter 4 and not sure I have the patience to make it through on this difficulty level. Any tips? I got to the section where you have to cross a river where the road is broken down, so it's a mix of platforming then attacking guys shooting down on you from atop the waterfall, and there's no cover when they first arrive. Which means dying very quickly. And then redoing the very easy (but time consuming) platforming section again just to get murdered trying to down them. Hanging off the ledge for cover doesn't seem to work too hot either. Any tips?

Yeah, I platinum'd this a couple of months ago. Definitely the toughest part of the game is Chapter 4 on practically all difficulty settings. I actually dropped the game after dying so much on Crushing in that section.

jett

D-Member
Bumping this because I'm playing through Uncharted for the nth time...but the first time in HD. HOLY CRAP! Still the best looking console game I've seen this gen. Until UC2, of course!

LaneDS

jett said:
Bumping this because I'm playing through Uncharted for the nth time...but the first time in HD. HOLY CRAP! Still the best looking console game I've seen this gen. Until UC2, of course!

I agree. Having played a lot in the past few weeks, it holds up amazingly well in most regards and I think just might be the best looking things on consoles still. Which is, again, amazing. The fact that Uncharted 2 is going to utterly destroy the first in terms of scope and graphics fidelity is very exciting.

And I am still giving the middle finger to Crushing Chapter 4. Ugh.

KillJade

Banned
RJNavarrete said:
Anyone know when this is getting Greatest Hits treatment? Come on Sony, drop the price already...

It dropped on Monday. :D

Good to see this thread still going strong... one of my personal faves.

I don't believe I've ever posted in this thread, and talking about Uncharted 2 I was reminded I never wrote anything about my thoughts on the game.

I finished Uncharted recently, and I'll admit, at first the combat was completely off-putting. I started the game and put it down fairly early into the campaign because the shooting mechanics made the game pacing much slower than I cared for. It felt more of a shooter rather than an adventure game, and I wasn't in the mood for a shooter.

That said, I decided it was time to give the game it's fair shake, and I'm glad I did.

What I feel the game does right:

Sense of adventure:

The story and theme of the game are right up my alley. It captured a lot of the Indiana Jones feeling, which was what I'll probably remember about the game in a few years. Excepting the comedy in a Indy movie, they nailed just about everything else...Nazi themes, locations, supernatural elements, etc.

Visuals:

For the most part, the visuals were outstanding. The lighting model was fantastic. Seeing rays of light through tree branches, lighting inside caverns. All top notch. Fit the mood perfectly, or I should say, set the tone for the game.

Textures were a bit hit or miss, but nothing out of the ordinary for a console game, all things considered. Some textures were absurdly low res while others looked great.

Framerate was solid; I never felt like the game was struggling to keep up with the action and there were no hitches that stood out.

Level design:

While linear, the maps always felt open. In large part, this was due to 1) the amazing vistas and detail given to areas outside of the player boundaries, and 2) the use of vertical areas of a map, like the Church. Navigating through the lower section, then later, navigating the upper sections via platforming made the levels feel open and gave a sense of exploration in a linear world that comes near to matching that of HL2.

Enemy AI:

While certainly not perfect, I think Uncharted's enemy AI was up there with the best of them. I don't think it ever reached Halo 3 levels, but it came pretty damn close, even on the regular difficulty. Waiting for enemies to come out of cover was difficult, because they wouldn't just pop out where you would expect them to. Many games have baddies roll out of cover right into your crosshairs, whereas Uncharted's enemies had at least a couple different routines for popping out of cover. Enemies with shotguns charged, enemies with longer range weapons stayed back, and enemies reaction to grenades was for the most part appropriate (although throwing two grenades seemed to really confuse the AI).

Where the game needed improvement:

Combat:

Combat was a letdown in almost every respect. Melee was unresponsive; timing of the button presses seemed to have very little do do with what was actually happening on screen, causing a disconnect with the user and making it feel strictly like a QTE. Variation in weapon damage was unrealistic and gave the impression that very little thought went into ranging of weapons and amount of damage inflicted. As an example, some of the assault weapons did relatively little damage at any range, which felt completely unrealistic and frustrating.

I did enjoy one aspect of the combat however. The cover system is well implemented. Certain objects you might find cover behind are destructible, which keeps the player moving. And as I noted before the enemy AI is aggressive and unpredictable. It keeps the player from staying in one spot for too long, which is a trap a lot of cover based games fall in to.

Pacing:

Because of the unsatisfying combat, I felt there was far more of my playtime spent in a 'arena' setting where the player was placed in a area with 'X' amount of baddies positioned just so, with triggers that started another wave once the first wave had been defeated. I would rather these sections reduced by half in favor of exploration, story, variations in combat situations and platforming elements. After a few hours with the game, I felt like I knew exactly when these situations were about to begin just by looking at the area I was about to enter and the amount of time since the last encounter.

Player Control:

I very much enjoyed the platforming elements, which is highly unusual for me. Typically I despise any and all 3d platforming, so this was a refreshing change. That said, too often the control of the character felt slow or unresponsive, making certain sections of the game frustrating when they should have been fun. At times there seemed like there was a slight input delay, which meant that even if I jumped from the exact location twice I might see different results. Sometimes that character would just not respond in time to make a difficult jump, which during a long section of platforming, made for a frustrating experience when you had to start again at the beginning of the section.

Conclusion

Uncharted ranks up there with my favorite games of this generation everything considered. When you break it down, there is certainly room for improvement in several aspects of the game's design, but in the end it's a game that's fun to play and that I wouldn't have any problem recommending to a new PS3 owner regardless of genre preferences. I think the game catches a lot of flak on the Internet, but like anything PS3 related, that has more to do with the fanbase than it does the actual game. The only element of the game that I can see being completely off-putting would be the combat. While I'd describe the game as an adventure game, it often feels like a shooter at heart. Some players might be disappointed with ratio of adventure/platforming/exploration elements to combat situations, and it would be hard to for me to disagree with them.

Score:

90/100

It's a good time for this thread to be bumped, as I've just started playing this again in anticipation of the sequel. I'm going through on easy - purely because I don't want to dedicate a lot of time to playing it again and I remember a lot of the combat sequences being hard previously - so as a result I've managed to reach chapter 16 in a few hours. :lol

Considering I haven't played it for the best part of two years, I have to say it hasn't gone down in my estimation at all. It may have actually gone up, as the visuals and witty dialogue is still basically unmatched in the action adventure genre. I also forgot how well the game flowed - I didn't intend to spend several hours today playing it, but the way in which each area leads on to the next so naturally, with great incentive story-wise to see what happens next, means that other than food and toilet breaks, I've barely stopped. If I don't complete it tonight I'm certainly going to get close.

Combat is still the only slight drawback for me. I enjoy the epic gunfights, don't get me wrong, but sometimes an area feels too full of enemies. When I'm climbing through these ruins I don't really want to have a gunfight with 20 goons who have somehow managed to get there. I would have liked a lot of the combat sequences to have at least 50% less enemies so that I didn't spend so long behind cover in one spot. And I really do have to stay in cover as even on easy the A.I. is ruthless and will still rip me to pieces if I don't plan my next move carefully.

Modern Warfare 2 is the game that's been getting me stupidly excited since E3, but if Uncharted 2 is half as good as it should be... fuck, it could be my favourite game ever.

... And after taking a whole five minutes to type that, I have the itch to go back again... :lol

When I'm climbing through these ruins I don't really want to have a gunfight with 20 goons who have somehow managed to get there

I didn't mention it in my post, but yeah, knowing that there are 1000's of goons hidden away in the farthest, most isolated parts of the ruins sort of kills the sense of exploration at times. A tried not to think about it. :lol

That dude brought a small army with him.

MoogPaul

I just started playing this about a week or so ago. Up to the monastery I believe. It's a fun game. certainly not ground breaking. I often find myself wondering how the people at Eidos feel about this game being loved when it's pretty much male tomb raider.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
MoogPaul said:
I just started playing this about a week or so ago. Up to the monastery I believe. It's a fun game. certainly not ground breaking. I often find myself wondering how the people at Eidos feel about this game being loved when it's pretty much male tomb raider.
How in the bloody castles of holy virgin Mary can someone call this Tomb Raider with a male character? It's not remotely close on the gameplay department, the art style isn't the same, they both use different music direction and they're far far away from each other in terms of voice acting and overall quality.

Play Tomb Raider Underworlds (the game that "resembles" Uncharted the most out of the billions of TR-games, then come and tell me Uncharted's basically the same game but with a male character.

Jesus Christ, this game is set in green environments?! Clearly a TR-clone! Get out of here.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
ACE 1991 said:
The plot twist was really dumb

Once you understand it, it's really not as stupid as you might think. There's no fantasy or sci-fi about it. Basically, this is what it's all about (spoilers if you haven't finished the game):

Ages ago, the Spaniards came searching for El Dorado, which was believed to be a golden city but was really a golden statue. They found it. They opened it up, and out came the virus and made them all go insane and lose much of their humanity.

Now, after generations of crazy Spaniards inbreeding (I'm not making this up, it was confirmed by someone at ND - possibly Evan Wells) they've turned into grotesque-looking creatures, more animal than human. So that's what the "zombies" are. They are crazy inbred Spaniards, not undead fantasy creatures.

The same thing happens to Gabriel when he opens the statue at the end of the game (although he is just changed mentally - the physical changes to the Spaniards is the result of the inbreeding). Navarro knew that this would happen all along, as his goal is to secure the virus and sell it to the highest bidder for use in biological warfare.

What may be a bit removed from reality is how fast the virus acts, instantly making its victim into a raging maniac, and also that it's contained inside the statue and clearly visible (but if it hadn't been, you wouldn't know what was happening). Other than that, there's nothing that dumb about it.

Robot 492

Banned
RoadHazard said:
Once you understand it, it's really not as stupid as you might think. There's no fantasy or sci-fi about it. Basically, this is what it's all about (spoilers if you haven't finished the game):

Ages ago, the Spaniards came searching for El Dorado, which was believed to be a golden city but was really a golden statue. They found it. They opened it up, and out came the virus and made them all go insane and lose much of their humanity.

Now, after generations of crazy Spaniards inbreeding (I'm not making this up, it was confirmed by someone at ND - possibly Evan Wells) they've turned into grotesque-looking creatures, more animal than human. So that's what the "zombies" are. They are crazy inbred Spaniards, not undead fantasy creatures.

The same thing happens to Gabriel when he opens the statue at the end of the game (although he is just changed mentally - the physical changes to the Spaniards is the result of the inbreeding). Navarro knew that this would happen all along, as his goal is to secure the virus and sell it to the highest bidder for use in biological warfare.

What may be a bit removed from reality is how fast the virus acts, instantly making its victim into a raging maniac, and also that it's contained inside the statue and clearly visible (but if it hadn't been, you wouldn't know what was happening). Other than that, there's nothing that dumb about it.
Wow. [SPOILERS]

I never knew about the inbreeding. I just thought they were spanish zombies :p

braves01

Banned
nskinnear said:
Wow. [SPOILERS]

I never knew about the inbreeding. I just thought they were spanish zombies :p

Yep, I missed that detail too when I played through it. Afterwards though, I was checking the concept art out and saw a picture of
one of the Spaniards labeled as a "descendant."

LaneDS

RoadHazard said:

Good explanation, but I still think a
crazy non-existent virus that instantly changes you into something inhuman
would count as
science fiction.
Not that I'm complaining, I liked the twist, I hope for something similar for Uncharted 2.

Unrelated, but I only realized on my second playthrough (now on my third, on Crushing) that Roman is voiced by Simon Templeman, which is pretty awesome. Not sure how I missed that, since he sounds pretty damn close to Kain.

Melfice7

I hope the guys who complain about the supernatural element realize that U2 will also have it (owning a mystical rock that does whatever)

LaneDS

Melfice7 said:
I hope the guys who complain about the supernatural element realize that U2 will also have it (owning a mystical rock that does whatever)

There is of course the chance that they're chasing after a stone that in fact has no power at all, despite the myths. Which would be potentially boring, but it's possible.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
hey guys just wondering, I'm currently at that certain place where the game shift gears abit *wink* how much of the game is left after this point? Would be nice to know because Im having a lot of trouble pushing through it.

RoadHazard said:

I can't begin to tell you how much better you've made me feel

NeoUltima

Corky said:
hey guys just wondering, I'm currently at that certain place where the game shift gears abit *wink* how much of the game is left after this point? Would be nice to know because Im having a lot of trouble pushing through it.
1-3 hours depending on speed.

Dementia

Corky said:
Not much. After you get the generator running there are really only two other significant encounters. Just remember: blindfire is your friend.

ACE 1991

Dementia said:
Not much. After you get the generator running there are really only two other significant encounters. Just remember: blindfire is your friend.

This. the part you're at is pretty damn hard without heavy use of this mechanic.

ACE 1991

RoadHazard said:

This makes it a bit more plausible, yes, but the way the
crypt "zombies?"
were presented made them seem very fantastical and unrealistic. Your post has helped me understand what Naughty Dog was aiming for, but I think the plot twist ended up coming of waaaay less realistic then intended.

Binabik15

ACE 1991 said:
This makes it a bit more plausible, yes, but the way the
crypt "zombies?"
were presented made them seem very fantastical and unrealistic. Your post has helped me understand what Naughty Dog was aiming for, but I think the plot twist ended up coming of waaaay less realistic then intended.

Well, I disagree.

But even if it was supernatural why would it be bad? It was never supposed to be a real life simulation, but a pulp novel adventure like Indy. And that had melting faces...

Can´t say I was suprised by the twist, the clues that something was wrong were there from the beginning (
half eaten U-Boot captain, El Dorado murals, footprints, Eddy´s chat with Roman, running zombies in the background and the finding legendary El Dorado itself is quite fantastical
).

About the combat, I really, really enjoyed it and had a blast with every encounter. Doing risky but stylish melee takedowns between hipfire sprints from cover to cover never got old. I will cry bitter tears of rage if U2 features less combat sections.

I enjoyed it much more than Gear´s combat. I LIKE the fact that your standard weapon is a pistol and not an assault rifle, it really fits better with the whole adventure setting.

ACE 1991

Binabik15 said:
Well, I disagree.

But even if it was supernatural why would it be bad? It was never supposed to be a real life simulation, but a pulp novel adventure like Indy. And that had melting faces...

Can´t say I was suprised by the twist, the clues that something was wrong were there from the beginning (
half eaten U-Boot captain, El Dorado murals, footprints, Eddy´s chat with Roman, running zombies in the background and the finding legendary El Dorado itself is quite fantastical
).

About the combat, I really, really enjoyed it and had a blast with every encounter. Doing risky but stylish melee takedowns between hipfire sprints from cover to cover never got old. I will cry bitter tears of rage if U2 features less combat sections.

I enjoyed it much more than Gear´s combat. I LIKE the fact that your standard weapon is a pistol and not an assault rifle, it really fits better with the whole adventure setting.

Yeah, I loved the combat. The only thing Gears has over Uncharted is the tightness of it's cover system, and it seems this mechanic has been tweaked for Uncharted 2.

Goldrusher

Corky said:
Keep moving. Keep running around the area.

LaneDS

Crushing complete. Just need to get the Dyno-mite x5 trophy and the five Brutal Combos in a row one. Which is pretty annoying.

And that'll be my first Platinum, something I thought I didn't care about but I'm oddly proud of it now. Curious how well Uncharted skills will translate into the sequel.

I finally picked this up during the price drop, and I just finished it on hard. What a fantastic game. I think I'll give it some time though before I go on my crushing run.

A quick question: hard wasn't really all that hard. Will crushing be significantly more difficult?

SabinFigaro said:
I finally picked this up during the price drop, and I just finished it on hard. What a fantastic game. I think I'll give it some time though before I go on my crushing run.

A quick question: hard wasn't really all that hard. Will crushing be significantly more difficult?

I thought it was. Although its still not really really tough. Progression isn't really a problem. There's just a couple area's that are more of a bitch to get through.

BeeDog

SabinFigaro said:

Crushing is noticeably more difficult, but it's still not a huge jump. The main difference is you'll be much more fragile, and the enemies might take a couple of shots more. Overall, Crushing ain't that super-hard, it's just a couple of spots that might annoy the shit out of you.

EDIT: wtf, my post is almost identical to the one above. o_O

Sapiens

Just finished it after casually playing it the last week.

And wow.

I can't think of a console game with better graphics, and this game is two years old.

Top Bottom