• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted: The Lost Legacy - Review Thread

void666

Banned
played about 2 hours and so far it's the same thing as the full game, walking, walking, climbing, climbing, VERY few minutes combat, back to walking and climbing

will continue tomorrow because the game has put me to sleep, so far i'd say it's even worse than UC4, the characters are boring

but i'm early in the game so that may change

Can't say i'm surprised. Unfortunately.

I'm probably one of the biggest Uncharted fanboys, but this might be the first Uncharted game I wait for. The premise just seems very uninteresting, not sure why I should care about Chloe and Nadine. If it was like Sam and Nadine or Chloe and Elena or some other combo, I'd be slightly more interested. Like Ellie and Riley made a bunch of sense and I was interested in their story. But this just seems real 'fan-fictiony' in a way...

Do any of the reviews mention the story being rewarding and essential to the Uncharted universe?

Edit: I think I figured it out...

Chloe is very much a side-dish character, she's great, but she compliments the main character well. Nadine is also very underveloped sub-side character, she had a great character arc, but still not very interesting all around.

Putting TWO side characters together, just seems weird. Wish they'd just pair them up with a main character from the series.

Megatron

Can't say i'm surprised. Unfortunately.

played about 2 hours and so far it's the same thing as the full game, walking, walking, climbing, climbing, VERY few minutes combat, back to walking and climbing

will continue tomorrow because the game has put me to sleep, so far i'd say it's even worse than UC4, the characters are boring

but i'm early in the game so that may change

Oh shit. Pencil that in as Gaf's game of the year then!

To be fair though, Uncharted games always start slowly.

Is it not a valuable perspective to have? What if the game had convinced them otherwise?

The last thing we should want is every reviewer to have the same perspective and stance

Respectfully, I think it can be a useful thing for players that feel similarly as the reviewer about certain products. For example, I remember when a writer at Destructoid reviewed 999 and gave it a 10 despite having never really liking visual novels before. Convinced me to buy the game, since I never liked visual novels before, either. Still don't like any besides 999 and its sequel.

Like, I feel the same as the reviewer. I'm good on Uncharted. But if they gave it good marks despite feeling that way, then I may have went out and got it. I think it's important to have reviewers like that out there.
Oh I agree if someone is tired on the franchise, that's fine. However, reading the way they describe the game upfront conveys more like they didn't want to review it. I'm all for differing opinions.

The MC / OC scores don't bother me, but there have definitely been a few cases where someone who seemingly dislikes a series and has no intention of playing anymore is assigned the review. If you're doing to do that, why not offer a double opinion from someone who is more open to playing the game without predetermined dislike?

It's not that simple.
I love Uncharted 2, and i liked 3 well enough.
After 4 i didn't think i'd ever want to play another one though, for example.

This seems to fix some of the issues i had with 4 though.
Why wouldn't they assign someone like that to the game? I bet there are a decent number of people out there who feel a bit tired of the franchise and want to hear the perspective of someone who also shares that feeling.

Agreed, as many of the reviews are showing. However, the review in question seems to ignore much of that and focuses a lot on the things we've seen before, regardless of the scale of the game, or what it does differently. I think if the reviewer were capable of suspending their dislike long enough to delve into the other aspects of it, they would have had a better review (regardless of the score).

I don't think it's a particularly interesting review, but why should we want reviewers to already like the series? Why is that any better than them starting from a point of dislike?
I think if you are going to review something, coming from a point of dislike alone is a bit unfair for an honest review, unless the same site offers an alternative perspective from them as well so you can compare and contrast. IGN seemingly does this as they have people who both like and don't like or are indifferent about certain series across the world.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
The thing I'll never comprehend is parts of this forum that want to legitimize "walking simulators" against all the "not a game" criticisms.

Then you have Uncharted with lots of walking and gawking at scenic views and pretty easy climbing/platforming; things that other people praise in the walking sim genre are criticized here...

Why the double standard?

What do people expect out of Uncharted ?

Are walking sims secretly not engaging?

True that in Uncharted u also do lot of walking but u also fighting solving some puzzles and simple climbing. Most Walking simulators, all u are doing is WALKING.

this reason I hated Dear Esther. Both Journey and Dear Esther goal is to get from A to B but in Journey I'm jumping, guiding, sliding and even trying avoid obstacles but in Dear Esther all u are doing is walking and listening to narration, sorry i just don't find that fun.

Know it isn't probably the case, but I am hoping this is a secret way to test the waters for a bigger Chloe based game.
While I would love this, stick me in the camp of wanting Sully to have his own adventure spanning multiple eras (if possible).

You could also include Chloe in that one, since they seem to have their own professional relationship off to the side.

Osahi

I'm probably one of the biggest Uncharted fanboys, but this might be the first Uncharted game I wait for. The premise just seems very uninteresting, not sure why I should care about Chloe and Nadine. If it was like Sam and Nadine or Chloe and Elena or some other combo, I'd be slightly more interested. Like Ellie and Riley made a bunch of sense and I was interested in their story. But this just seems real 'fan-fictiony' in a way...

Do any of the reviews mention the story being rewarding and essential to the Uncharted universe?

Edit: I figured it out obviously...

Chloe is very much a side-dish character, she's great, but she compliments the main character well. Nadine is also very underveloped sub-side character, she had a great character arc, but still not very interesting all around.

Putting TWO side characters together, just seems weird. Wish they'd just pair them up with a main character from the series.

As a fan, you should really play it. The story is bare bones, but the character interactions are fun. The Uncharted gameplay is still immensly fun (though a bit been there, done that), it's better paced than U4 and I can't go into specifics due to NDA, but imo it has one of the craziest and best set pieces of the series in the final level. It's exactly what I wanted of a "dlc".

As a fan, you should really play it. The story is bare bones, but the character interactions are fun. The Uncharted gameplay is still immensly fun (though a bit been there, done that), it's better paced than U4 and I can't go into specifics due to NDA, but imo it has one of the craziest and best set pieces of the series in the final level. It's exactly what I wanted of a "dlc".

Oooh shit. Yea I'll definitely play it, just feeling that waters on how early I want to jump into it with so much else to play. You're makin' me want to get it asap.

Oh, for sure. I personally really respect people like Jim Sterling and Austin Walker (even when I disagree with them). But it's never like that on GAF. It's always "oh, IGN gave this game this score" or "Gamestop gonna gamestop." Reviewers are never mentioned by name and it's really bizarre. Especially when people bring up contentious reviews from the same outlet in an attempt to discredit them. How many times have you seen the God Hand / Imagine Babies Image?

Oh, well discrediting a review/site seems like not the same thing as your original post, which seemed more about people putting too much stock in one person's opinion. The way people write off reviews without any reason whatsoever is annoying, yes. I could give probably five things I didn't like about Marty's (IGN) review, and I didn't even find it that bad or anything, while people that want to completely write off the 7.5 produce nothing.

Sounds great.

Memento

Sony must be so happy with Naughty Dog.

They can make ~10hours critically acclaimed AAA singleplayer games in 1 fucking year.

Efficiency, quality and (very probably, even more so with a $40 price tag) commercial sucess.

SamNW

The thing I'll never comprehend is parts of this forum that want to legitimize "walking simulators" against all the "not a game" criticisms.

Then you have Uncharted with lots of walking and gawking at scenic views and pretty easy climbing/platforming; things that other people praise in the walking sim genre are criticized here...

Why the double standard?

Only speaking for myself here, but I don't view this as a double standard. It's the same standard being applied to many different works. Let's take Firewatch as an example. Interactions within the game are not particularly complex, but I found the writing to be thoughtful and compelling. I found the conversations to be systemically dynamic and strong from beginning to end. Now, there are more things happening in Uncharted, moment to moment, but for a series that is lauded for its characters and stories, I never found the games to be very well-written. UC4 is a bit of an exception. I thought it was uneven, but the characterization was much more interesting and complicated than in the previous three games.

But the point is this: I'm not really judging Uncharted and Firewatch by a different standard. I just think the writing and characterization in Firewatch is substantially better than that in Uncharted.
I think if you are going to review something, coming from a point of dislike alone is a bit unfair for an honest review, unless the same site offers an alternative perspective from them as well so you can compare and contrast. IGN seemingly does this as they have people who both like and don't like or are indifferent about certain series across the world.
I think this is a claim that needs to be justified, though. It's super common for sites to only offer a perspective from a fan. I don't doubt that those writers, as fans, can still be thoughtful and critical, but I don't see why it's any better or worse to offer only a more sharply critical perspective. I think the writer-as-fan starting point, which is way more common, is a built-in expectation of enthusiast media. Personally, it's something I'd like to see games media get away from.

They can make ~10hours critically acclaimed AAA singleplayer games in 1 fucking year.

Efficiency, quality and (very probably) great commercial sucess.
Definitely impressive. Sony's best studio in terms of returning investment this gen.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
I gave up on UC4 like 1/3 the way through because of boredom.

Had waaaaay more fun with Lost Legacy.

Just saying.

Efficiency, quality and (very probably, even more so with a $40 price tag) commercial sucess.

Sony at the end of the day really only cares about this one, and I think it may still be an if. I'd love it to be a success, but I'm not sure.

I just watched the Gamespot review and the reviewer claimed that it's only 6 hours long. I thought it was longer than the first Uncharted? It's good that I had the Amazon preorder discount, or I would have cancelled.

Sony at the end of the day really only cares about this one, and I think it may still be an if. I'd love it to be a success, but I'm not sure.
Why not? Since this will obviously have lower internal expectation, it should do fine.

I just watched the Gamespot review and the reviewer claimed that it's only 6 hours long. I thought it was longer than the first Uncharted? It's good that I had the Amazon preorder discount, or I would have cancelled.
People have completed it in a longer time. People aren't going to have the same play time.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

If you just do the main quest in Western Ghats, then you can definitely beat the game in 6 or 7 hours.

Floody

I really don't see it not being a huge success at it's price. Certainly won't come close to Uncharted 4, but I'd be shocked if Sony expected it too, especially as the marketing isn't even close to as big.
My guess is it breaks a million first week.

I really don't see it not being a huge success at it's price. Certainly won't come close to Uncharted 4, but I'd be shocked if Sony expected it too, especially as the marketing isn't even close to as big.
My guess is it breaks a million first week.

I think it'll make a million lifetime. Which is very good. I'm just saying I don't see it guaranteed. I think this game being DLC but slowly blossoming into a near-full game hurt it some, just not sure to what extent. If this was revealed as a surprise next Uncharted game and it was always THE next Uncharted game, I'd be on the commercial success train for sure.

Why the double standard?

Are you trying to say that it's a double standard to like those games because of what they focus on but then criticize those elements in Uncharted?

Because if you are, that's not a double standard. That's different standards. A "walking sim" and Uncharted are in two completely different genres, with different expectations, strengths, weaknesses, etc. Like how you don't go into an arcade racer expecting what you'd find in a racing sim even though they both feature cars and fast driving

People not liking the pacing in Uncharted doesn't mean they don't also like a game like Firewatch, because they're expecting and looking for different things in each game

Osahi

Depends how fast you are and if you bothet to explore in the open worldish level. I had 6.20 on the clock in normal, but skipped a lot of the sidestuff and didn't bother to go look for treasures. That's stuff I always reserve for a second go.

Floody

I think it'll make a million lifetime. Which is very good. I'm just saying I don't see it guaranteed. I think this game being DLC but slowly blossoming into a near-full game hurt it some, just not sure to what extent. If this was revealed as a surprise next Uncharted game and it was always THE next Uncharted game, I'd be on the commercial success train for sure.

It starting out as a DLC is the only reason I'm a tiny bit unsure, as I don't really know if they've done a good job letting people know it's more than that now, but still would be pretty surprised if it doesn't blast through a million quickly. Long term I think it tops out in 3 million range

TissueBox

Anybody who's played it and other entries, would you put it above any other Uncharted game just on pure enjoyment terms? Golden Abyss, Drake's Fortune, etc.

Considering Uncharted 4 sold 2.7 million copies in its first week and 8.6 by December, I'm betting it'll do a whole lot better than that.

Nah, Uncharted 4 did, wasn't even all that close in the end.

Uncharted 4 had a 159
Overwatch had 98
http://gameranx.com/updates/id/95169/article/uncharted-4-wins-the-most-goty-awards-for-2016/

according to its source. Critics Picks is 90 for Overwatch and 89 for Uncharted4, somehow "Reader's Picks" are 76 for Uncharted 4 and only 12 for Overwatch, none of the other years have such an odd difference, yeah I don't give it much credibility. and it's not even a website just a post on blogspot

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Certainly a looker,
gamersyde sends their regards.
Metric fuckton of foliage.
LoneAlarmedGrouper.gif

Floody

according to its source. Critics Picks is 90 for Overwatch and 89 for Uncharted4, somehow "Reader's Picks" are 76 for Uncharted 4 and only 12 for Overwatch, none of the other years have such an odd difference, yeah I don't give it much credibility. and it's not even a website just a post on blogspot

Seems to be kind off the norm for User votes to be heavily onesided actually.

Witcher 3
Fallout 4
Bloodborne

Dragon Age Inquisition
Shadow of Mordor
Mario Kart 8

2013 being the exception with
The Last of Us
GTA 5
Bioshock Infinite

TissueBox

I would definitely put it above 4 and 1. It's a damn fine Uncharted game :)

Sweeet glad to hear..!! ^^' Really hope to get on this soon... and yeah, I am hoping for a somewhat more... relaxed, tight experience compared to the occasional rigidness of its forebear.

yo this shit about it having little action like UC4 better not be true
Why are people still saying this? 35 combat encounters in UC4. Thirty. Five.
I'm probably one of the biggest Uncharted fanboys, but this might be the first Uncharted game I wait for. The premise just seems very uninteresting, not sure why I should care about Chloe and Nadine.
That's sort of the point of the game, is it not?

xviper

Naughty Dog is horrible when it comes to villains

all their villains are a generic boring guy that you find in almost every hollywood action movie

the new Villain,
Asav
is boring as fuck, and i'm just 2 hours in and i doubt that will change giving the history of ND's villains

Shin-Ra

Gies? 🤗

I'd be surprised if they haven't already shipped and presold a million just for the launch.

the most important thing here is that it's better paced

if it really does have less combat.. I don't know if that means anything to me unless I understand how that compares relative to the entire game.

I thought that Uncharted 4 had plenty of combat. The problem is that it was paced out pretty poorly and cutting the traversal time would have benefited the game immensely. Like they should have cut out 50% of that shit and the game would felt much more tight. I didn't think the banter between him and his brother added that much.

Why are people still saying this? 35 combat encounters in UC4. Thirty. Five.
Because of the bold. The poor pacing made it feel like there was little combat but there was actually quite a bit of it. It was just scattered in between too many clumps of other stuff.

well no, in the years that Reader's Picks are one sided the Critics Picks are also one sided (in favor of the same game)

Seems to be kind off the norm for User votes to be heavily onesided actually.

Witcher 3
Fallout 4
Bloodborne

Dragon Age Inquisition
Shadow of Mordor
Mario Kart 8

2013 being the exception with
The Last of Us
GTA 5
Bioshock Infinite

TissueBox

Naughty Dog is horrible when it comes to villains

all their villains are a generic boring guy that you find in almost every hollywood action movie

the new Villain,
Asav
is boring as fuck, and i'm just 2 hours in and i doubt that will change giving the history of ND's villains

Some were saying he'd be relatively interesting.... though I would hope that is the case, I guess the general formula is one they never really planned to subvert lol. I liked a lot about Rafe but in the end it still left me a little... dry. Even if his cool drawl made him the series' most charming yet.

For me, Marlowe still remains number one. Her moments with Drake also comprise some of the series' best narrative moments, and she actually occupied a very personal, traumatic space in his life that really hit home. Though some of the whole 'deus ex' magician gimmicks felt under-cooked, her role as a maternal shadow was so wickedly done.

Top Bottom