• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted: The Lost Legacy - Review Thread

I would say that they are more akin to the set pieces of Uncharted 2.
Oh, really? Can you go into a bit more detail?

I've always felt that 3 and 4 never really matched 2 in the elegance of their set pieces, besides the chase and convoy in 4. 2 had the best pacing and variety, and the best extended set pieces like the train, the tank battle, and the temple ruins exploration and puzzles

Memento

Naughty Dog is horrible when it comes to villains

all their villains are a generic boring guy that you find in almost every hollywood action movie

the new Villain,
Asav
is boring as fuck, and i'm just 2 hours in and i doubt that will change giving the history of ND's villains

What?

Rafe was literally one of the best villains of 2016.

Also Flynn as the guy above noted!

i thought that the new villian if you've seen the trailers

and from meeting him (from the bit in the trailers)

thought he was a steve jobs-esque indian fella (something about how he looks + the glasses). Really quite well acted, looks great as a villian and I can't wait to see more of him.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Looks great, I'll add it to my list of wanted games.

Grisby

Trying to see how far I can get in Agents of Mayhem before this drops on Tuesday. Can't miss Chloe's big debut. If the game does well I'd love to see her take over the mantle of adventuring.

Gonna jump back into MP too. I've been wanting to get back into it.

TripOpt55

So excited for this. I only skimmed through some of the review blurbs, but it is sounding great. Really looking forward to a more in-depth look at these two characters, seeing what setpieces they whipped up for this one and seeing how they built on some of the stuff added in Uncharted 4. The impressions on the Western Ghats region from previews sounded cool.

At Chapter 7

I'm loving this way more than UC4. Some super incredible environments and there was 1-2 set piecey moments already. Really wonderful game so far. Seems to have addressed most of my issues with UC4.

I just want to add: I feel like the rope while mechanically the same as UC4, has been used to great effect here. Some amazing swinging sequences.

It is incredible the wizardy at ND. The game looks so good

+

I have a 55" tv. I wish I had 70" playing this game. Just. wow

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I think uncharted villains are pretty good overall, but they suffer badly from droopy syndrome. No matter how much you leave them far behind, and explore deep into undiscovered areas, they'll always pop out from behind a column ad a plot-convenient moment.

Nothing that adventure movies don't do, but it can get tiresome. Even more so when you're supposed to be exploring areas untouched for hundreds of years but there are still yellow work lamps set up

What?

Rafe was literally one of the best villains of 2016.

Also Flynn as the guy above noted!

Flynn was too good for this world.
Rafe was good but he could have been so much better. There's a bit where he mentioned hearing all the "legends" about Nathan Drake during his Boss Fight. I think it would have been great if they emphasize that bit in his character narrative over his obsession with finding Libertalia.

But honestly we already had the best villain in the franchise with the first game:
tumblr_m2f92qk25o1qf2a3fo8_r1_250.gif

Stiler

With uncharted villains I just wish there was more villains that you got to know and empathize with, where you can see from their point of view and how they got there vs the usual "evil" for the sake of being evil or they just betray you to be a dick because the game needs a villain.

With uncharted villains I just wish there was more villains that you got to know and empathize with, where you can see from their point of view and how they got there vs the usual "evil" for the sake of being evil or they just betray you to be a dick because the game needs a villain.

They kinda sorta did that with Rafe. A spoiled brat that just wanted to accomplish something for once but still sucked and hates Nathan because he's everything Rafe isn't.

Stiler

They kinda sorta did that with Rafe. A spoiled brat that just wanted to accomplish something for once but still sucked and hates Nathan because he's everything Rafe isn't.

Yeah I didn't really feel like that, I mean he just came off as spoiled and evil for the sake of being evil, never really had any redeeming qualities as a villain nor did you really feel a sense of sympathy for him or what he went through, at least not to me.

Yeah I didn't really feel like that, I mean he just came off as spoiled and evil for the sake of being evil, never really had any redeeming qualities as a villain nor did you really feel a sense of sympathy for him or what he went through, at least not to me.

If they were actually going for what you want than it was certainly a limp effort, but it's the closest they've come.

I think uncharted villains are pretty good overall, but they suffer badly from droopy syndrome. No matter how much you leave them far behind, and explore deep into undiscovered areas, they'll always pop out from behind a column ad a plot-convenient moment.

Nothing that adventure movies don't do, but it can get tiresome. Even more so when you're supposed to be exploring areas untouched for hundreds of years but there are still yellow work lamps set up

I think what I hate most about it is how the villains are always using slash and burn tactics to find the next clue at the bottom of the tomb and how often it works. I want a villain that is just as smart and resourceful as the protagonists, if not more so. That is way more threatening honestly.

Uncharted's villains are almost all extraneous and plot devices which is why I found it so odd that Naughty Dog always had to have a 'boss fight'. The only time it ever felt right was A Thief's End. The main conflict in the series has always been Nate's pretty fucked sense of ambition and purpose and how he endangered people that cared about him.

Uncharted doesn't have great villains, but I think focusing on them is sort of missing the point.

kyser73

For me, reading that Asav wears glasses for effect and fashion is enough. As someone who has worn glasses since 4 and had to deal with the inevitable childhood teasing, making a choice to wear non-prescription frames for ego/fashion purposes annoys me no end.

f@luS

More than a member.
Is that normal that we don't see t on the store even though we bought the season pass ?

JakR

Is that normal that we don't see t on the store even though we bought the season pass ?

Do you mean on psn or in your library?
I could preorder the game through the webstore and it appeared in my library with 5 days to go.

f@luS

More than a member.
Do you mean on psn or in your library?
I could preorder the game through the webstore and it appeared in my library with 5 days to go.
Library

It's supposed to be included in the season pass which isn't on the store anymore. So how to make it appear in the library ?

Oh, really? Can you go into a bit more detail?

I've always felt that 3 and 4 never really matched 2 in the elegance of their set pieces, besides the chase and convoy in 4. 2 had the best pacing and variety, and the best extended set pieces like the train, the tank battle, and the temple ruins exploration and puzzles

I'll put the information in spoilers just in case.

In addition to the usual collapsing structure/escape area, there is one armored truck segment, a bit similar to the tank in U2; there is a section where you fight a helicopter; and there is a big convoy plus train sequence.

played about 2 hours and so far it's the same thing as the full game, walking, walking, climbing, climbing, VERY few minutes combat, back to walking and climbing

will continue tomorrow because the game has put me to sleep, so far i'd say it's even worse than UC4, the characters are boring

but i'm early in the game so that may change

You've sold me.

Uncharted 4 would have been 10/10 for me if not for the tedious combat interludes.

JakR

Library

It's supposed to be included in the season pass which isn't on the store anymore. So how to make it appear in the library ?

Go to the sony webstore with pc, tablet or smartphone. Lock in with your account and search for Uncharted, choose TLL. You should hopefully see a preorder option and press it and confirm purchase.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I'm doing a Crushing replay now and it seems you can casul your way to the end like in U4: weapon select, infinite ammo and lock on aim are possible. You just get a 'lock on aim was used in this chapter' tramp stamp if you go to chapter select. I will disable it for future chapters because I feel terrible playing this way lol

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
The best part about Rafe is that he's got a right to be pissed at both Drake brothers. They screw him over or plot to screw him over time and time again. Sure, he's not very talented himself and hires unethical goons, but the worst thing we actually see him do (semi-)unprovoked is kill that greedy prison guard.

f@luS

More than a member.
Go to the sony webstore with pc, tablet or smartphone. Lock in with your account and search for Uncharted, choose TLL. You should hopefully see a preorder option and press it and confirm purchase.
Worked. Thanks :)

So good

What else was supposed to be included in the season pass ?

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
If everyone keeps responding to the "insane" posts, then that's all the thread will be. Discuss what you consider to be important and respond to posts like that in kind and it might be different.

Be the change you want to see in the GAF

Just going to quote this, because it's really a fantastic piece of advice!

Personally, I prefer a dogpile than insane nonsense not getting called out. It invites others to start their similar rambling.

I prefer to send a clear an unambiguous message that those kinds of posts are unwanted on gaming forums I frequent.

No, leave it to the moderators. Dogpiles simply shit up the thread with loads and loads of garbage content.

Our primary concern is having a good thread, not giving everyone the opportunity to correct someone who is wrong on the internet.

You also don't have to come in to the thread and complain about the state of Uncharted review threads. No one cares. Contribute something useful instead! :)

KORNdoggy

Uncharted doesn't have great villains, but I think focusing on them is sort of missing the point.

i think uncharted has had amazing villains throughout. what uncharted doesn't have is amazing final boss fights that involve those amazing villains.

EDIT: except for U4, which was actually really well done. U2 actually has one of the worst.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
This game also has the best credits song since First Aid Kit closed off the perfection that was Tales from the Borderlands. Such an obvious but amazing choice.

ty_hot

Just confirmed my pre order. Only watched the E3 Reveal trailer and nothing more. Super excited. It might be more of the same, but its so fucking good same.

I'm doing a Crushing replay now and it seems you can casul your way to the end like in U4: weapon select, infinite ammo and lock on aim are possible. You just get a 'lock on aim was used in this chapter' tramp stamp if you go to chapter select. I will disable it for future chapters because I feel terrible playing this way lol

Creamium, how would you compare it to the other games after finishing it?

After first play through, were you still pleased with the combat, exploration, puzzle ratio?

Gotta say ND is by far the biggest disappointment for this gen. They are making only 2 games instead of 4 (no I don't consider a DLC game as another, it's cool if other people do). On top of that, they make new IPs every generation, this gen we're stuck with Uncharted and TLOU. Don't get me wrong, Uncharted is one of my favorite franchises, U4 is one of the best games this gen, and TLOU is one of the best and one of my favorite games of all time. But two fucking games and no new IPs is a huge bummer. :( Still buying the DLC this month and finishing it, esp since my girl Chloe is back. But yeah, I'm pretty underwhelmed. Rockstar is another that focuses halfway through this gen on a last gen game still, but that's a whole other story.

Didn't know where else to rant about this, but yeah :\

Gotta say ND is by far the biggest disappointment for this gen. They are making only 2 games instead of 4 (no I don't consider a DLC game as another, it's cool if other people do). On top of that, they make new IPs every generation, this gen we're stuck with Uncharted and TLOU. Don't get me wrong, Uncharted is one of my favorite franchises, U4 is one of the best games this gen, and TLOU is one of the best and one of my favorite games of all time. But two fucking games and no new IPs is a huge bummer. :( Still buying the DLC this month and finishing it, esp since my girl Chloe is back. But yeah, I'm pretty underwhelmed. Rockstar is another that focuses halfway through this gen on a last gen game still, but that's a whole other story.

I think this is the gen that concludes both franchises in terms of in-house development, and story. I hope next gen is just new IP's for them.

Games are getting harder and harder to make. Especially at the level we expect from Naughty Dog or Rockstar. It's mind-blowing that The Lost Legacy (which isn't DLC no matter what you say) is at the standard it is considering it was made in one year.

Loris146

Game development is not the same as it was back in 2007. No one will make 4 AAA games this gen outside maybe Turn 10.

Top Bottom