• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted: The Lost Legacy - Review Thread

I apologize for my ignorance, but I'm confused. Is this DLC or a stand alone game? I played through Uncharted 4 and watched the Sony presser yet I still not entirely sure. It's priced at $40, sooo it seems like it's in between a stand alone game and DLC add on. Am I getting 20-30 hours, 10 hours or something different? I feel like they could have marketed this better.
A standalone title. It started as DLC but they upped it to what it is now. It comes with UC4 MP and it is in the 6-10 hour range. You also get Jak and Daxter if you preorder.

Loudninja

I apologize for my ignorance, but I'm confused. Is this DLC or a stand alone game? I played through Uncharted 4 and watched the Sony presser yet I still not entirely sure. It's priced at $40, sooo it seems like it's in between a stand alone game and DLC add on. Am I getting 20-30 hours, 10 hours or something different? I feel like they could have marketed this better.
Yep standalone.

People have said 8 to 12 hours to beat.

Uncharted 4 had a lot of problems behind the scenes and that's why it got delayed so much.

People to forget that they release a game in 2013.

The Last of Us Remastered also game out in 2014.
True.

So, The Last of Us (2013) -> The Last of Us Remastered (2014) -> UC4 (2016 after notable development issues) -> Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (2017) -> The Last of US Part II (fall 2018-first half 2019).

All things considered, I'd say that is pretty good output.

Tyaren

I have been playing the game for a couple of hours now...and damn this game is so pretty. Here's a photomode shot during gameplay that I took on PS4 Pro:

36258250210_928c97a90b_o.png

It's a full game. Like Golden Abyss, but in good.

Freeman76

I just love this series, enjoyed the 4 main games but just aint feeling the buzz anymore. The thought of playing another Uncharted game does nothing for me, even though its one of my favourite series. I guess for me they covered everything already:)

reKon

Banned
Visually are we at Horizon: ZD > Uncharted: LL > Uncharted 4?

Soon to be God of War > HZD > UC: LL > Uncharted 4?

Fisty

Wait, I noticed the preorder for this popped up as free for me since I bought the Uncharted 4 Season Pass, so I "purchased"... do I get Jak and Daxter?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Wow seems to me that naughty dog has floppedT their last flopT and will probably be closed

Fisty

Young sully b4 he met drake? Or older sully side-story?

Old sully wouldnt fit in an action packed uc game imo

You can use a Sully skin in the original game (and possibly 2 as well? Can't remember)

It is deliciously absurd and would be PERFECT for a balls-to-the-wall action/comedy with an old man grunting as he pulls himself up cliff-faces with a single arm.

zsynqx

Naughty Dog is so damn consistent

Drake's Fortune 88
Among Thieves 96
Drake's Deception 92
The Last of Us 95
Left Behind 88
A Thief's End 93
Lost Legacy 86

Just set my review live: http://www.pushsquare.com/reviews/ps4/uncharted_the_lost_legacy

If there was ever any doubt of the talent at Naughty Dog, consider that Uncharted: The Lost Legacy was built in less than a year. This sensational spin-off not only beds in two of the franchise’s more mysterious characters, but it also gloriously repurposes several of the series’ best moments. As a pseudo-Greatest Hits, the title will do little to tempt those who’ve had their fill of treasure hunting – but at a budget price (with multiplayer included) then this is essential for fans of PlayStation’s most iconic brand.

Toni

Naughty Dog is so damn consistent

Drake's Fortune 88
Among Thieves 96
Drake's Deception 92
The Last of Us 95
Left Behind 88
A Thief's End 93
Lost Legacy 86

They are gaming's top tier developer.

Only in my opinion, Rockstar, Nintendo and CD Projekt can keep up with their quality and consistency.

Guerilla Games is climbing up the ranks quick too.

Megatron

Wait, I noticed the preorder for this popped up as free for me since I bought the Uncharted 4 Season Pass, so I "purchased"... do I get Jak and Daxter?

You do not. The benefit of getting a bigger than originally planned game is your reward. They pulled that season pass ages ago.

They are gaming's top tier developer.

Only in my opinion, Rockstar, Nintendo and CD Projekt can keep up with their quality and consistency.

Guerilla Games is climbing up the ranks quick too.

Guerilla Games has one, maybe two (if we're generous) really good games. Certainly, we aren't arguing that Killzone Shadowfall is anywhere near the level of Breath of the Wild or The Last of Us.

Toni

Guerilla Games has one, maybe two (if we're generous) really good games. Certainly, we aren't arguing that Killzone Shadowfall is anywhere near the level of Breath of the Wild or The Last of Us.

Its true. Some people might feel like they need 2 or 3 more stand out projects to be up there with the greats.

But I just feel like Horizon was such a gargantuan leap for them. It was their first open world title, and they performed point-blank flawlessly.

They need to deliver again on the level of Horizon for the second round and its pretty much a lock for them to grab their top tier status.

Sony only needs to make sure they dont fuck it up and have the team that created Horizon Zero Dawn stay intact for years to come and they will have another top tier studios under their belt.

I am confident as all heck Horizon 2 will be sublime.

Fisty

You do not. The benefit of getting a bigger than originally planned game is your reward. They pulled that season pass ages ago.

EDIT: Upon closer inspection, it says that preorder items aren't included. Oh well, I still have Jak 1 on PS3 free from PS+ anyway lol

Bandit1

Just now really starting to get hyped for this for some reason, but after watching the launch trailer and reading some impressions and reviews I can't wait!

I bought the UC4 season pass the day the game came out and totally forgot that this was due out so soon. Been looking forward to it a lot since the Chloe main character reveal, and pleasantly surprised that I'll be able to play next week!

Neith

Banned
Visually are we at Horizon: ZD > Uncharted: LL > Uncharted 4?

Soon to be God of War > HZD > UC: LL > Uncharted 4?

Not really. There are things that Horizon and Uncharted do better than one another. This list is fairly long relative to each developer's strengths.

Its true. Some people might feel like they need 2 or 3 more stand out projects to be up there with the greats.

But I just feel like Horizon was such a gargantuan leap for them. It was their first open world title, and they performed point-blank flawlessly.

They need to deliver again on the level of Horizon for the second round and its pretty much a lock for them to grab their top tier status.

Sony only needs to make sure they dont fuck it up and have the team that created Horizon Zero Dawn stay intact for years to come and they will have another top tier studios under their belt.

I am confident as all heck Horizon 2 will be sublime.

Then we have a very loose definition of "great," then. I can think of dozens of games I prefer to Horizon, but I'd hesitate to say Capcom is on par with EAD because of RE4, or that Obsidian is on par with Naught Dog because of New Vegas.

Like, Guerilla's last game was Killzone Shadowfall, which was a mediocre 5/10 game if I've ever seen one. Their last particularly good game came out in 2009. To compare that to developers that put out multiple 10/10 games a generation is laughable.

Neith

Banned

GG only literally needed writing, and some better animation tech, in their games to make them succeed. They have that now. There is no going back. They are unarguably a top tier studio in my book.

Then we have a very loose definition of "great," then. I can think of dozens of games I prefer to Horizon, but I'd hesitate to say Capcom is on par with EAD because of RE4, or that Obsidian is on par with Naught Dog because of New Vegas.

Like, Guerilla's last game was Killzone Shadowfall, which was a mediocre 5/10 game if I've ever seen one. Their last particularly good game came out in 2009. To compare that to developers that companies that put out multiple 10/10 games a generation is laughable.

Their tech is leagues ahead of anything any Nintendo developer is even attempting to do. They have traded blows with 2 devs in Sony's stable for the most advanced graphics tech out there. Capcom has never competed with them and neither has Obsidian ever come close to equaling the tech that GG produces. They may have a few great games for sure, but nothing that stands out as a 10/10.

So you are basically comparing writing and storyline at this point. This is where you sound laughably inane in thinking somehow GG is not top tier.

All they needed was someone to write a story, to help them fill in the blanks, and they have that now.

You can basically mark it down that their next game will be amazing. You don't go backwards after this lol. GG is a highly competent developer.

KZSF was more like a 7/10 game with bad writing in my book. There were at least 3 great levels in that game.

Also, when the hell did any of those devs EVER put out a 10/10 game lol.

Even with mods I fell asleep during Fallout New Vegas. The game world was like a miniature lego set. Capcom has sucked balls since RE4. I literally have no idea what you are even trying to suggest. There is not one 10/10 game in any of the stables of these devs. Not even close.

Horizon is an excellent game, but that is also game that is the culmination of GG's best talent and a looong dev cycle.

Shadowfall was led by a different director/designer, with a very tight dev window. We saw how that turned out.

To an extent, jury's still out on GG. Will a new Horizon with (presumably) half the dev time retain that excellence? And if the leads are different now, can it still sustain that quality?

ND has showed that it can consistently deliver good games regardless of different leads and different dev windows allocated to the projects.

... Well, with the exception of the original UC4. =P

Their tech is leagues ahead of anything any Nintendo developer is even attempting to do. They have traded blows with 2 devs in Sony's stable for the most advanced graphics tech out there. Capcom has never competed with them and neither has Obsidian ever come close to equaling the tech that GG produces.

So you are basically comparing writing and storyline at this point. This is where you sound laughably inane in thinking somehow GG is not top tier.

All they needed was someone to write a story, to help them fill in the blanks, and they have that now.

You can basically mark it down that their next game will be amazing. You don't go backwards after this lol. GG is a highly competent developer.

KZSF was more like a 7/10 game with bad writing in my book. There were at least 3 great levels in that game.

I wasn't aware that we were talking about tech and not actual game quality.

Shadowfall had some of the worst level design in any AAA shooter I've played. Chalking up its poor reception to simply bad writing (which it did have) is absurd, especially when many of the most lauded shooters (FEAR, RE4, S.T.A.L.K.E.R., etc.) have pretty bad writing. It was just an all-around poor game.

Also, when the hell did any of those devs EVER put out a 10/10 game lol.

Even with mods I fell asleep during Fallout New Vegas. The game world was like a miniature lego set. Capcom has sucked balls since RE4. I literally have no idea what you are even trying to suggest. There is not one 10/10 game in any of the stables of these devs. Not even close.

New Vegas and RE4 are some of the most widely praised (if not the most praised) games in their respective genres. But I was referring more to EAD and Naughty Dog with that statement (even though I do believe ND is terribly overrated).

Neith

Banned
I wasn't aware that we were talking about tech and not actual game quality.

Shadowfall had some of the worst level design in any AAA shooter I've played. Chalking up its poor reception to simply bad writing (which it did have) is absurd, especially when many of the most lauded shooters (FEAR, RE4, S.T.A.L.K.E.R., etc.) have pretty bad writing. It was just an all-around poor game.

New Vegas and RE4 are some of the most widely praised games in their respective genres.

New Vegas is widely overrated IMO. The good thing about it was the writing. Graphics even with mods are horribly dated IMHO. RE4 with the new HD patch coming along is probably going to stay consistently great, although it is still firmly b-tier horror writing.

SF's level design being bad is pretty much a GAF thing. It seems like we always had a lot of FPS whiners on GAF that couldn't handle the hard modes in Killzone games going back to 2. Whatever. I'm not calling it great, but a few of those levels were great.

You have South Park and Pillars for Obsidian. They are a solid dev, but to me the game made by all of these devs is still Horizon. Just my opinion. RE4 with HD patch would come close as well, but not without it.

New Vegas is widely overrated IMO. The good thing about it was the writing. Graphics even with mods are horribly dated IMHO. RE4 with the new HD patch coming along is probably going to stay consistently great, although it is still firmly b-tier horror writing.

You have South Park and Pillars for Obsidian. They are a solid dev, but to me the game made by all of these devs is still Horizon. Just my opinion. RE4 with HD patch would come close as well, but not without it.

New Vegas looks like shit, but the graphics aren't why people like it.

I think you're missing my point. I was saying that I would not consider Capcom and Obsidian to be EAD-tier developers because they're nowhere near consistently great, even though they have individual games that I rank among the best. Likewise, I would not put GG in such high regard when most of their games are unexceptional at best.

Neith

Banned

Some of the writing was good. I didn't even make it through the game, and nor do I consider its writing to be anywhere near say film tier quality or novel quality or what have you. Horizon's writing is much better than any Fallout game ever. It's more realistic imo and without all the jank.

All in my opinion, but I come from a literature background, and I am a film buff. I tend to give games a looser leash because we aren't quite there yet for writing.

New Vegas hooked me until about 3/4 the way through when I became severely agitated about its horribly efficient micro-world, weird questlines, and overall jank. I'm not saying it is a terrible game, but it's pretty dated IMO.

There is not much anyone could do to convince me that GG has not arrived on the quality level of Naughty Dog.

Grisby

Any different costumes or characters that you can use as a bonus after completing the game? Loved me some UC2 extras.

Just watched the launch trailer.

There is a fucking
TRAIN
segment!

FUCK. I am feeling this is going to be even better than UC4. Hyped.

to me it is. It doesn't have the pacing issues, no stupid young drake backstory and doesn't waste your time with that ultra long and dull climbing bit in UC4. TLL has plenty of combat and some amazing setpieces. The places you go in this. They're very talented at ND and they push out some amazing looking locales in this. I wonder what other devs think when they play this. The visuals are gobsmackingly good. Naughty Dog is a god tier development studio

there's a puzzle involving jumping that looked just ridiculously good. I was like wtf man, I can't think of many studio that can make something look like this.

Any different costumes or characters that you can use as a bonus after completing the game? Loved me some UC2 extras.

yeah you can get different outfits. Chloe seems to be the only one with
wackier ones
a pirate and a medieval looking one
. Nadine has her UC4 outfits unlockable.

Some of the writing was good. I didn't even make it through the game, and nor do I consider its writing to be anywhere near say film tier quality or novel quality or what have you. Horizon's writing is much better than any Fallout game ever. It's more realistic imo and without all the jank.

All in my opinion, but I come from a literature background, and I am a film buff. I tend to give games a looser leash because we aren't quite there yet for writing.

New Vegas hooked me until about 3/4 the way through when I became severely agitated about its horribly efficient micro-world, weird questlines, and overall jank. I'm not saying it is a terrible game, but it's pretty dated IMO.

There is not much anyone could do to convince me that GG has not arrived on the quality level of Naughty Dog.

New Vegas's is praised because of the enormous amount of depth and complexity within its quest structure. Horizon might have better writing in the "movie" sense (which I frankly couldn't care less about), but NV surpasses it in many areas like the faction system and the reactivity that stems from it, the structure of the main quest and the continuous support for different playstyles — and these aren't just minor things but some of the biggest strengths of the whole genre. Horizon isn't even close, at best you get binary results at best with copy/paste/illusion of choice situations peppered in.

Come to think of it, though, I can agree that GG is on par with Naughty Dog. That should make my opinions on Naughty Dog clear.

Top Bottom