• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted: The Lost Legacy - Review Thread

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Some of the writing was good. I didn't even make it through the game, and nor do I consider its writing to be anywhere near say film tier quality or novel quality or what have you. Horizon's writing is much better than any Fallout game ever. It's more realistic imo and without all the jank.

All in my opinion, but I come from a literature background, and I am a film buff. I tend to give games a looser leash because we aren't quite there yet for writing.

New Vegas hooked me until about 3/4 the way through when I became severely agitated about its horribly efficient micro-world, weird questlines, and overall jank. I'm not saying it is a terrible game, but it's pretty dated IMO.

There is not much anyone could do to convince me that GG has not arrived on the quality level of Naughty Dog.
It's not just the writing it's straight up how far the game goes for to fulfill the needs of RPG gameplay. You can genuinely roleplay. Also a film buff but if you ask me neither are really strong points for writing in gaming. Just that New Vegas is fanfuckingtanstic at taking into account different player actions.

Come to think of it, though, I can agree that GG is on par with Naughty Dog. That should make my opinions on Naughty Dog clear.

GG needs to do more than 1 game to show they can consistently deliver. With HZD, they upped their reputation and profile. Whether or not they can sustain it moving forward is another thing. For me, GG has KZ2 and HZD as their true hits.

This from someone who loved the hell out of HZD.

Neith

Banned
New Vegas's is praised because of the enormous amount of depth and complexity within its quest structure. Horizon might have better writing in the "movie" sense, but NV surpasses it in many areas like the faction system and the reactivity that stems from it, the structure of the main quest and the continuous support for different playstyles — and these aren't just minor things but some of the biggest strengths of the whole genre. Horizon isn't even close, at best you get binary results at best with copy/paste/illusion of choice situations peppered in.

Come to think of it, though, I can agree that GG is on par with Naughty Dog. That should make my opinions on Naughty Dog clear.

Well you could say the same about Uncharted or Lost Legacy too. People will hate these games because they don't have 20 different, complex systems.

In reality, I never really once thought the Fallout series was that cool because of its myriad systems. I always found the combat fairly bad to be quite honest, and Horizon's combat craps all over Fallout's janky FPS combat IMO.

I obviously loved the different aspects of upgrades to Fallout, but like Witcher 3 there were too many paths to me that were completely useless in the game. I know some people love its varied nature, but it has a ton of flaws, and going back to my original comment none of these games are 10/10 games like you suggested. Not even close. I mean I disagree there are ANY 10/10 games, but they are certainly not Fallout or Resident Evil or anything modern from these publishers.

I quite enjoyed the first few hours of South Park, but I haven't gotten a chance to complete it. I do like Obsidian, and they are a quality developer. Never played Pillars so I cannot comment there, but it seems well liked.

I too would like a little more depth in the next Horizon, but it cannot be like Witcher 3 where a lot of that depth is literally useless and 99.9% of players never touch it.

Crossing Eden

Well you could say the same about Uncharted or Lost Legacy too. People will hate these games because they don't have 20 different, complex systems.
No one would ever genuinely argue this because Uncharted isn't an RPG in anyway shape or form. And doesn't try to be aside from the out of place dialogue choice segments.

Neith

Banned
No one would ever genuinely argue this because Uncharted isn't an RPG in anyway shape or form. And doesn't try to be aside from the out of place dialogue choice segments.

Indeed, people do argue this. They argue these games are too linear without any complex systems. People get bored by these games because of things like that. TLOU even had a more complex nature than Uncharted. I know what you are saying, but Horizon is more in between those two types of games we are talking about. It still has some great scripted moments with a bit of linearity, but it's open world and you have a few choices.

Fallout has basically hardly any cool scripted moments that are film-type quality action sequences, though, it does try with its janky engine. Its systems are entirely up to the player, and yes you can role play, but in my experience I never did much with it.

In reality, I never really once thought the Fallout series was that cool because of its myriad systems. I always found the combat fairly bad to be quite honest, and Horizon's combat craps all over Fallout's janky FPS combat IMO.

I obviously loved the different aspects of upgrades to Fallout, but like Witcher 3 there were too many paths to me that were completely useless in the game. I know some people love its varied nature, but it has a ton of flaws, and going back to my original comment none of these games are 10/10 games like you suggested. Not even close. I mean I disagree there are ANY 10/10 games, but they are certainly not Fallout or Resident Evil or anything modern from these publishers.

I quite enjoyed the first few hours of South Park, but I haven't gotten a chance to complete it. I do like Obsidian, and they are a quality developer. Never played Pillars so I cannot comment there, but it seems well liked.

I too would like a little more depth in the next Horizon, but it cannot be like Witcher 3 where a lot of that depth is literally useless and 99.9% of players never touch it.

And I'm not telling you to like them. But assuming that people formed their opinions on New Vegas or RE4 based on their graphics or writing is frankly myopic. Nobody who likes NV thinks less of it because Horizon has better animations or better writing in its linear, scripted movie-style story. Honestly, they're probably looking at Horizon as an example of what's wrong with modern RPGs.

And we've blown past my original point, which is that I can't consider a developer to be top-tier when only a fraction of their games are even above average.

Neith

Banned
And I'm not telling you to like them. But assuming that people formed their opinions on New Vegas or RE4 based on their graphics or writing is frankly myopic. Nobody who likes NV thinks less of it because Horizon has better animations or better writing in its linear, scripted movie-style story. Honestly, they're probably looking at Horizon as an example of what's wrong with modern RPGs.

Let's just get to the point. None of these games are 10/10. Horizon is a great game and GG is set for the sun. Nothing is going to stop them at this point. It's really that simple. Whether you hate them, don't think they belong, or want to see them fail I don't really care. They are here to stay.

Now on to Uncharted Lost Legacy.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
How's the frame rate compared to UC4? While UC4 did hold 30 a lot of the time it dropped enough for me to ask if it's improved in TLL. It really pissed me off how choppy the last part of UC4 was.

Crossing Eden

Indeed, people do argue this. They argue these games are too linear without any complex systems. People get bored by these games because of things like that. TLOU even had a more complex nature than Uncharted. I know what you are saying, but Horizon is more in between those two types of games we are talking about. It still has some great scripted moments with a bit of linearity, but it's open world and you have a few choices.

Fallout has basically hardly any cool scripted moments that are film-type quality action sequences, though, it does try with its janky engine. Its systems are entirely up to the player, and yes you can role play, but in my experience I never did much with it.
In the context of their genre. And that's because UC is really really rote with it's downtime moments outside of combat especially after four iterative games. Maybe you should've RPed more to get the most out of FO. >>

How's the frame rate compared to UC4? While UC4 did hold 30 a lot of the time it dropped enough for me to ask if it's improved in TLL. It really pissed me off how choppy the last part of UC4 was.
Unless I was spamming grenades the performance didn't seem to be UC's issue. Kinda really limited in scope at the end,

Let's just get to the point. None of these games are 10/10. Horizon is a great game and GG is set for the sun. Nothing is going to stop them at this point. It's really that simple. Whether you hate them, don't think they belong, or want to see them fail I don't really care. They are here to stay.

Now on to Uncharted Lost Legacy.

Sure, maybe in five years when they've released more games I'll consider them a top-tier developer. But when nearly all of their games are mediocre-to-bad (and I like Killzone more than most), I'm not going to consider them anything more than a middling dev that has one great game amongst a sea of mediocrity.

Neith

Banned
Sure, maybe in five years when they've released more games I'll consider them a top-tier developer. But when nearly all of their games are mediocre-to-bad (and I like Killzone more than most), I'm not going to consider them anything more than a middling dev that has one great game amongst a sea of mediocrity.

Killzone 2 is dated now, but so are shitloads of games including high rollers like Ocarina of Time. They simply don't hold up today like they did before.

But Killzone rocked dude, and was one of the best MP experiences on PS3 period. It's not even up for an argument IMO. 32 player matches were amazing in that game, and the maps were incredible as was the tech.

As far as writing sure most of Killzone 2 sucked, but it had a great tone and it is ripe for a remake.

Those are two games they made that are ranked incredibly well by all accounts. KZSF and 3 have a lot of flaws and no doubt come from rushed development being Sony's lapdog, but still seem to be ranked decently. Nothing worse than any terrible Resident Evil or anything like that.

jjonez18

Naughty Dog is so damn consistent

Drake's Fortune 88
Among Thieves 96
Drake's Deception 92
The Last of Us 95
Left Behind 88
A Thief's End 93
Lost Legacy 86

Wonder what kinda going rate ND would have if Sony decided to sell/trade.

EA: "We'll give you Bioware Montreal and a couple random ip's"
Sony: "Do I look stupid to you, Andrew?"

That's would be a fun hypothetical experiment. Could be a thing. Do it with all major developers and publishers.

Killzone 2 is dated now, but so are shitloads of games including high rollers like Ocarina of Time. They simply don't hold up today like they did before.

But Killzone rocked dude, and was one of the best MP experiences on PS3 period. It's not even up for an argument IMO.

As far as writing sure most of Killzone 2 sucked, but it had a great tone and it is ripe for a remake.

Killzone 2 was good fun, but there are tons of other shooters from that era -and before - that I preferred. Forget about whether or not it's dated, I thought it was decent at best when it launched. Maybe it was great by the standards of somebody who only had a PS3 though, I dunno.

Killzone 1, Killzone 2, and Shadowfall are all pretty dull by any standards. Ironically, the only great Killzone game was the one not developed by Guerilla (Mercenaries).

Neith

Banned
Killzone 2 was good fun, but there are tons of other shooters from that era -and before - that I preferred. Forget about whether or not it's dated, I thought it was decent at best when it launched.

Killzone 1, Killzone 2, and Shadowfall are all pretty dull. Ironically, the only great Killzone game was the one not developed by Guerilla (Mercenaries).

Ehh yeah I feel that Killzone game is pretty overrated by handheld fanboys to be quite honest. Blow that up to the big screen, and it doesn't seem so grand anymore.

Not sure I preferred all that many shooters to Killzone 2's Warzone. GG never again hit those heights. KZSF had a chance, as I really liked the MP, but its matchmaking was shit tier garbage.

Uncharted has been pretty uneven on the MP front as well now that we are on that. 3 was total crap IMO, and most of their MP games have been literally tinkered to death.

I remember U4 MP was pretty fun to start with, and they started nerfing and buffing things to the point I just quit because the gameplay changed every week. Never really liked its PG 13 atmosphere all that much and ended up quitting.

I might try it out again with Lost Legacy, but ND is really hit or miss when it comes to MP.

Ehh yeah I feel that Killzone game is pretty overrated by handheld fanboys to be quite honest. Blow that up to the big screen, and it doesn't seem so grand anymore.

Not sure I preferred all that many shooters to Killzone 2's Warzone. GG never again hit those heights. KZSF had a chance, as I really liked the MP, but its matchmaking was shit tier garbage.

Uncharted has been pretty uneven on the MP front as well now that we are on that. 3 was total crap IMO, and most of their MP games have been literally tinkered to death.

I remember U4 MP was pretty fun to start with, and they started nerfing and buffing things to the point I just quit because the gameplay changed every week. Never really liked its PG 13 atmosphere all that much and ended up quitting.

I might try it out again with Lost Legacy, but ND is really hit or miss when it comes to MP.

Uncharted MP is certainly worse than Killzone's, you won't get any arguments from me on that front.

It's easy to be consistent when you send press kits and money hats.

image.php

Have a spoilery question for those playing: does the whole game just take place in the city area we saw at E3 and then the open map? Just a yes or no is fine

Osahi

Have a spoilery question for those playing: does the whole game just take place in the city area we saw at E3 and then the open map? Just a yes or no is fine
no. The open map is one chapter.
Rest of the game is linear. Also multiple locations, but all in India

geordiemp

. During the game, we couldn't shake the feeling that we experienced it all before. Naughty Dog seems to have done it all with Uncharted now, it's time for something new. The Lost Legacy is a nice epilogue on the final chapter of the series for everyone that wasn't quite ready to say goodbye yet."

Bet you dont say that for every franchise that you review, especially ones you are a fan of..................and why I often ignore most reviewers who come out with inconsistent tripe phrases like this.

Every game I ever play I get that feeling, there is nothing revolutionary unless you strap a VR headset on for the first time, question is why some reviewers bring it up occasionally as an excuse to downplay is laughable.

Very excited to play this and stoked its on the shorter side. Too many long ass games right now. Going from Zelda to Persona to Nioh to Horizon. Looking forward to jumping into something I'll be able to get through in a few days.

Wordstar

Neo Member
Maybe someone can make a thread on this...

Seasonpass and Gold Edition owners of Uncharted 4 are now able to preorder Lost Legacy for free.
Just find the game on the PSN Store and it should say free for the owners of the season pass of Uncharted 4

Bet you dont say that for every franchise that you review, especially ones you are a fan of..................and why I often ignore most reviewers who come out with inconsistent tripe phrases like this.

Every game I ever play I get that feeling, there is nothing revolutionary unless you strap a VR headset on for the first time, question is why some reviewers bring it up occasionally as an excuse to downplay is laughable.
For ther same reason people and reviewers bring it for movies, epiaodes, book, and every form of entertainment

It's a valid and common criticism

geordiemp

For ther same reason people and reviewers bring it for movies, epiaodes, book, and every form of entertainment

It's a valid and common criticism

I can guarantee I can go read the reviewers other game reviews where mechanics are much the same for a sequel or DLC and such a phrase is not mentioned.

The consistency of the seen it before comment is a major gripe I have with reviewers and why I ignore so many review scores.

Gears, destiny, Mario kart, Splatoon, COD, Battlefield - yes its all familiar, but thats not a valid CONSISTENT criticism to be used for say 10 % of the games on whim to knock points off a score because the sun is behind the clouds that day.

I can guarantee I can go read the reviewers other game reviews where mechanics are much the same for a sequel or DLC and such a phrase is not mentioned.

The consistency of the seen it before comment is a major gripe I have with reviewers and why I ignore so many review scores.

Gears, destiny, Mario kart, Splatoon, COD, Battlefield - yes its all familiar, but thats not a valid CONSISTENT criticism to be used for say 10 % of the games on whim to knock points off a score because the sun is behind the clouds that day.
It's not about "knocking points off a score". The score doesn't really matter. It's a sense of "I've played 3, 4, 7 times already (looking at you, Assassin's Creed)". Ideally, a sequel expands upon and evolves the foundation of its predecessor; in some franchises, more of the same is fine, since adding more would ruin the fine balance of the concept, but in general, sequels try to build on what came before. That criticism of feeling like you've experienced it all before, to the detriment of the work, is a criticism of design and structure. It's part of why some movies, games, books, etc are able to subvert and twist expectations

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
The only review that should matter to anyone is their own.

Three more days baby!!! :)

It's not about "knocking points off a score". The score doesn't really matter. It's a sense of "I've played 3, 4, 7 times already (looking at you, Assassin's Creed)". Ideally, a sequel expands upon and evolves the foundation of its predecessor; in some franchises, more of the same is fine, since adding more would ruin the fine balance of the concept, but in general, sequels try to build on what came before. That criticism of feeling like you've experienced it all before, to the detriment of the work, is a criticism of design and structure. It's part of why some movies, games, books, etc are able to subvert and twist expectations

its a game made in 1 year. I also had quibbles about the driving after playing the hands on showcase a bit back (for TLL) but I think it works quite well that whole Ghant area. In fact, its uncharted the game and you know what you're in for. For me, I dont see it as an issue. Some people might. Quite okay with it. My review is almost ready. Just need to grab pics from the PS4pro.

Top Bottom