• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted: The Lost Legacy Spoilers Thread

LiK

Anyone else spend extra time looking for that token that was in the hole underwater in front of the elephant statue? I was looking for a guide and none existed since I played it before release. Was pretty awesome to find that hole on my own.

robotrock

Banned
Anyone else spend extra time looking for that token that was in the hole underwater in front of the elephant statue? I was looking for a guide and none existed since I played it before release. Was pretty awesome to find that hole on my own.

i was pulling my hair out at that one no joke

THE-JUV

after 20 min I gave up and went online lol, can't believe i didn't notice the hole underneath to swim into.

I got that one pretty quick. The one that had me doing circles for about 10 minutes was the one thats inside one of the lockboxes thats on the truck bed thats next to waterfall. And it was a few minutes after getting the bracelet as well.

LiK

I got that one pretty quick. The one that had me doing circles for about 10 minutes was the one thats inside one of the lockboxes thats on the truck bed thats next to waterfall. And it was a few minutes after getting the bracelet as well.

Funny, I got that one right away since I was just hunting for lockboxes automatically at the time. Really fun lil puzzles and scavenger hunts for the tokens.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
I honestly hate Sam. I feel like he was included in U4 just so he can be the replacement Drake. He's better in TLL but to me, his appearance in a way overshadows Chloe and Nadine because instead of me praising Chloe and Nadine, im bitching about Sam. That's not a good thing. I want the Drake line to be done.

Chloe is a strong fan favorite and doesn't need Sam whatsoever. To a lesser extent, neither does Nadine especially after TLL. To me, Sam and Nadine were horrible and not necessary. They were simply misused in every way possible.

The next Uncharted should be The Lost Legacy 2 with Chloe as the lead and Cutter returning. Wouldn't mind Nadine but I was hoping she was going to kill Sam and turn on Chloe completely setting up the eventual sequel.

On a side note - Druckmann wasn't involved with TLL? If so, it should stay that way. Give this series to a smaller team within ND. A new 10-15 chapter/hour Lost Legacy every two years would be fucking awesome in my opinion.

THE-JUV

I honestly hate Sam. I feel like he was included in U4 just so he can be the replacement Drake. He's better in TLL but to me, his appearance in a way overshadows Chloe and Nadine because instead of me praising Chloe and Nadine, im bitching about Sam. That's not a good thing. I want the Drake line to be done.

Chloe is a strong fan favorite and doesn't need Sam whatsoever. To a lesser extent, neither does Nadine especially after TLL. To me, Sam and Nadine were horrible and not necessary. They were simply misused in every way possible.

The next Uncharted should be The Lost Legacy 2 with Chloe as the lead and Cutter returning. Wouldn't mind Nadine but I was hoping she was going to kill Sam and turn on Chloe completely setting up the eventual sequel.

On a side note - Druckmann wasn't involved with TLL? If so, it should stay that way. Give this series to a smaller team within ND. A new 10-15 chapter/hour Lost Legacy every two years would be fucking awesome in my opinion.

as I mentioned earlier what you were hoping for here is retconning the ending of UC4, the epilogue takes place 14/15 years later and Sam is clearly alive.

I don't think TLL required Sam and could have existed without him, but I thought he was fine in this game as a side character. The story does a good job of primarily focusing on its 2 female leads, even once Sam arrives.

That would make zero sense, even if we were just basing Nadine off her characterization in 4. She was the most practical, reasonable, and level-headed person in the game after Sully and Elena

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
l personally don't get the "i wish nadine turned and killed sam" responses in the OP - with a revenge sequel in mind as a follow up with chloe going after nadine.

Because SAM sucks, plain and simple. Nathan Drake is GONE but yet, he's replaced by a non-existent character for the first three games in the franchise by a brother. Simply no. Even if Nadine doesn't turn, fine but at the very least, Kill Sam off and get Drake out of this franchise.

Same shit as Batman...Batman is dead but not really gone??? Like WTF? Sam served no purpose in Uncharted 4 and is in my opinion, added in U4 just so they can keep a "Drake" in the franchise. Makes no sense to me because Chloe is way more of a favorite and simply better than Sam simply because she was in other games. Sam to me is just a throw in just so we can see a damn Drake brother.

Sam served no purpose in Uncharted 4 and is in my opinion, added in U4 just so they can keep a "Drake" in the franchise. Makes no sense to me because Chloe is way more of a favorite and simply better than Sam simply because she was in other games. Sam to me is just a throw in just so we can see a damn Drake brother.
You may think that, but nothing in 4 supports that, given how the narrative was set up. Like it's clear why they introduced a brother and that whole subplot in 4, and wasn't just to have another Drake.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
as I mentioned earlier what you were hoping for here is retconning the ending of UC4, the epilogue takes place 14/15 years later and Sam is clearly alive.

I don't think TLL required Sam and could have existed without him, but I thought he was fine in this game as a side character. The story does a good job of primarily focusing on its 2 female leads, even once Sam arrives.

Shit...I forgot about the epilogue in U4.

Regardless, I simply don't want a Drake in future Uncharted games. The main Drake is done and retired yet still exists with his brother. I simply see Sam as a useless character that truly serves no purpose except to just have a Drake in Uncharted.

THE-JUV

Shit...I forgot about the epilogue in U4.

Regardless, I simply don't want a Drake in future Uncharted games. The main Drake is done and retired yet still exists with his brother. I simply see Sam as a useless character that truly serves no purpose except to just have a Drake in Uncharted.

I agree that the games don't need a Drake...in a starring role.

like I said earlier the game didn't need Sam, but I don't think his inclusion takes away from the focus on the 2 female leads. The majority of the story is Chloe's reasoning for chasing this treasure, whereas you see Nadine grow and realize at the end that she doesn't need or want shoreline back anymore. There really isn't any development on Sam's character in this game, he's filler just so that there's a 3rd member on the team, and in that role he is fine. If they tried to flesh out his story in this game it probably would have dragged on and been less interesting to me, but I thought they did a great job focusing on Chloe and Nadine in this game.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
You may think that, but nothing in 4 supports that, given how the narrative was set up. Like it's clear why they introduced a brother and that whole subplot in 4, and wasn't just to have another Drake.

Let me ask you this -

If Sam wasn't in U4, would it even matter?

To me, not at all which is why the introduction of his character makes no sense especially when there's no mention of a brother in the first three games. I'm honestly just sick and tired of the Drake presence. It's done and over with. TLL proves that the franchise doesn't need a Drake in order to be good and succeed. Best of all, there's no soap opera romance crap. TLL simply gets back to what it should be - an action packed treasure hunting adventure.

Nadine, im more favorable to because she owns and runs shoreline and is contracted out. Basically, an assassin who runs a business.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
I agree that the games don't need a Drake...in a starring role.

like I said earlier the game didn't need Sam, but I don't think his inclusion takes away from the focus on the 2 female leads. The majority of the story is Chloe's reasoning for chasing this treasure, whereas you see Nadine grow and realize at the end that she doesn't need or want shoreline back anymore. There really isn't any development on Sam's character in this game, he's filler just so that there's a 3rd member on the team, and in that role he is fine. If they tried to flesh out his story in this game it probably would have dragged on and been less interesting to me, but I thought they did a great job focusing on Chloe and Nadine in this game.

Like you say, Sam is just FILLER. In other words, simply unnecessary and not needed. Not only that but I just find it dumb and stupid that Nadine doesn't try to kill Sam and vice versa. They go from enemies in Uncharted 4 to almost friends by the end of TLL?

Sorry but no. I enjoyed TLL A LOT but once Sam was introduced even as FILLER, deflated my hype and interest a little bit simply because he's not needed and serves no true purpose. Chloe and Nadine are strong enough to where they can carry the story and game by themselves.

Just think that with Sam being in TLL that if he's in the next game, he needs to truly serve a purposed and have a point to being in the game even if it's in a side character role because if not, to me, that tells me that they're just trying to shoehorn him into the game and keep the Drake name alive in the franchise.

Another factor why I hate the inclusion of Sam and this would apply to any third character is simple...the CPU AI never detects anyone but you plus those other characters always get in your way. I do stealth until im caught and having other characters next to me screwing shit up doesn't help matters. I know it's just me but I just want Sam to be non-existent. He didn't exist until U4 where as Chloe has existed since Uncharted 2.

MrJTeera

Was Orca a character in Uncharted 4?

Yes.

images

That final boss fight was easily the most fun final boss in the series. I feel like ND realized the final boss doesn't need to be an imposing final challenge and instead gave us the end of Death Proof and it was fucking delightful to just beat the everloving shit out of him together and never really let him get the upper hand

ryseing

The line about Sam appearing out of thin air means that Naughty Dog gets it. Combined with people wanting Sully/Cutter, I don't think he'll be a featured player in anything going forward.

I want to add how impressed I was with the helper AI. It's still not at the point where I would like it to be but marking guys and occasionally assisting with puzzle solving is a nice touch.

So fucking glad I wasn't spoiled about Sam by anyone or leaks. I loved seeing him again.
Definitely. I didn't even see a hint of him mentioned. He brought a really nice dynamic to Chloe/Nadine and it was fun to see how their friendship had grown by Sam sort of feeling like the odd man out.

Nadine correcting Sam on how to pronounce Hoysala was so perfect and delighted the hell out of me. There was such an adorable quality to Nadine, even when (especially when?) she was swearing. Laura Bailey is a chameleon.

Really, really, really hope this game does well and if Naughty Dog wants to keep this franchise going with Chloe that it actually happens.
Let the series rest.
Claudia Black breathed new life in to this thing. The Lost Legacy is a star turn if there ever was one for a video game character and it'd be a huge shame if it just ended here.

robotrock

Banned
Please, no. Naughty Dog is far too talented to be forced into one franchise in perpetuity. And if Golden Abyss is any indication, handing off the series to some other studio would only end in tears. Let the series rest.

It doesn't seem like Naughty Dog was forced to make this game. Seems like it was done out of pure passion for the series.

TripOpt55

Man the final chapter is insane. I think that is the new high water mark for setpieces in the series. I know it basically combines elements from others in previous games, but man does it come together to create something special.

The elephant part is my other favorite moment from the game. Elephants are my favorite animals (well along with cats, I guess favorite wild animal). With the game being set in India I was really hoping they'd let us ride one or pet one or something. Naughty Dog has obviously had moments like that with animals in past games, so helping the elephant and then it taking off with us on top really made me smile!

I imagine the inclusion of Sam will be pretty divisive. I was surprised when he showed up. I had thought about some past characters (or possibly Chloe's dad at one point) as being Asav's expert, but Sam didn't even cross my mind.

I had watched the reveal demo and the E3 trailer, but luckily the train, elephant and Sam were all a surprise for me. Glad I kept away from too much footage.

I really liked Chloe and Nadine together. I'd gladly play another game with them down the road.

Let the series rest.

got to be honest, I was tired of the franchise at UC4, the pacing really took a lot out of it but TLL was so batshit insane and fun; and it shows that when the elements all work - climbing/combat/set pieces that uncharted still has a lot of life left in it. Really terrific game and I want a proper sequel.

Just imagine what UC5 will look like on PS5. :O

Xeteh

I guess I kind of lucked in to it. I drove the jeep right in to it while driving up to the location but didn't think anything other than "oh shit this area is deeper". Looked around for a couple minutes and then thought, I'll try swimming in that deep spot, then realized it was a hole.

LiK

I tweeted Josh Sherr about making the next Uncharted about Chinese myths and legends. Here's hoping, lol

I guess I kind of lucked in to it. I drove the jeep right in to it while driving up to the location but didn't think anything other than "oh shit this area is deeper". Looked around for a couple minutes and then thought, I'll try swimming in that deep spot, then realized it was a hole.

Yea, I was running around that damn elephant for a while and then I decided to stand in front of it, I noticed my character was kinda floating so I pressed O and boom, underwater! Surprised myself so much that I saved the clip for posterity.

It was weak by Uncharted standards, but that still makes it as very good game. I found the opening levels weirdly paced and chapter 4 is legit one of the worst chapters in an Uncharted game, but once you get into the actual exploration and puzzles it was really fun, and Naughty Dog makes train sequences like no other developer cause damn it was too good. When it started I'm like "oh come on another trains sequence" and by the end I'm like "fuck that sequence was too good."

So yeah. Make a full fledged game with Chloe in the lead with the pacing of a typical Uncharted game and I'm there Day 1.

Sygma

The only one I spent a ton of time on was when you re entering the royal baths

Sam served no purpose in Uncharted 4

You're dead wrong. Through the whole game, Nathan looks at Sam as the obsessed, relentless version of his own self. Its only when Sully is going away / Sam is captured (Marooned chapter) that he's radically changing of attitude. Also why he wasn't even mad at Sam for lying to him, since he did literally the same to his wife, while understanding where Sam comes from ... the way Chloe showed same understanding to Nate to begin with. Their adventure in Libertalia was what Drake needed in order to move away from the "always next" adventure he's so fond of, while keeping his need of doing things left and right. Of travelling with his best friend, Chloe, of being adventurous with her.

Sam literally is the reason Nathan evolved. I wouldn't want to play as Sam in another Uncharted tho. Don't really dig the whole "Im a selfish bastard turning selfless" rope

Bauer91

Yea, I was running around that damn elephant for a while and then I decided to stand in front of it, I noticed my character was kinda floating so I pressed O and boom, underwater! Surprised myself so much that I saved the clip for posterity.

I think it was deliberately made hard to figure out. More so because not long after the side quest, they teach you that it's possible to dive in the game and show you with a button prompt.

dralla

Glad they brought back Sam just so they could have Chloe and Nadine kind of shit on him the whole time and constantly remind him they don't need him. When he popped up I was nervous they were gonna make him part of the main story instead of focusing on Chloe and Nadine. Good on you, ND.

Was kinda disappointed I didn't get to incite a stampede of wild elephants.

I was actually expecting that to happen but I'm glad it didn't considering how the elephant scene ended up playing out.

FelipeMGM

Overall the story was kinda b-tier adventure movie dumb, but man, dialogue, performance, and character interactions is always top notch in ND games, they are the factors that really drive the narrative for me

oh, and of course, the jaw dropping world and set-pieces, be it a crazy one like the train or a quiet one like the Elephant sequence

They showed it in the launch trailer

Im so glad I didnt watch that trailer. The train sequence was an incredible surprise

Shin-Ra

I really fucking loved the bit where Sam's making fun of Orca's mullet and Nadine has that shit-eating grin trying not to show Sam she's enjoying it.

I actually cried.

"... My dad was here."

So well acted. My absolute favourite part of the game, and that's really saying something. I knew I loved Chloe.

I love this game. It's the best an Uncharted game could possibly be, post Uncharted 3 drama-not-pulp pathway. And this is the first time I've actually enjoyed it for that.

God damn. So good.

Also fuck off Sam.

kanuuna

Damn. They really sent this one out with a bang. That last hour was probably the best 'Uncharted moment' in the series. I'm super glad I didn't see it coming, and I'm super glad that they saved the best for last. I thought the DLC was a good time up until that train sequence, but I couldn't stop smiling once I was in in the middle of it (I must've played through the just the UC2 train sequence two dozen times last gen - I thought it was that good at the time).

It amazes me that Naughty Dog can top their previous efforts time and again. The Last of Us Pt. 2 ought to be insane. I imagine the pressure to perform is massive.

RodzTF

Didn't care for Nadine. Up until Chapter 5 it was like taking a kid on holiday who didn't want to be there, just moaning and being mardy. Didn't care for her character in UC4 and more so here. She's just so unlikable.

Bringing Sam back was a minor surprise but like others have said it didn't add much to the story and he seemed to just be there as male relief in a female-led game.

Chloe is a fantastic protagonist, ND did her true service here.

Going forward I'd be happy with Uncharted being anthology style, a different protagonist each title in a different place on the planet each time. Concentrate on the adventure.

Although I'd be totally happy with Chloe leading another game too.

ND just made a better Tomb Raider than Crystal Dynamics could.

zsynqx

Nadine: "Relax, you'll live longer"

Chloe: "I'm so proud"

Sam: "What just happened?"

Don't know why but I just loved this moment

aparisi2274

Overall I loved the game..

- Chloe and Nadine were great. Their chemistry was perfect.
- I actually enjoyed seeing Sam show up. It helped tie up a lot of loose ends between him and Nadine and a nice way to tie this game back to UC4 (since TLL started out as DLC to UC4).
- The side quest for the queens bracelet was great. I thought it was going to be tedious, but I enjoyed it.
- That train set piece and the final fight against Asav were top notch. When Chloe and Nadine were taking turns whopping his ass, it reminded me of the movie Death Proof when the girls beat the shit out of Kurt Russel.

My only complaint in the game were those shadow puzzles and some of the multi-ring wheel puzzles. Oy vey, what a headache...

FelipeMGM

Nadine: "Relax, you'll live longer"

Chloe: "I'm so proud"

Sam: "What just happened?"

Don't know why but I just loved this moment

I really fucking loved the bit where Sam's making fun of Orca's mullet and Nadine has that shit-eating grin trying not to show Sam she's enjoying it.

they are so good together. And Troy's performance was great, maybe even better than in the lighter moments in U4

Im so down for more adventures with this crew

tumblr_ov5ot11bjp1ta2lgqo3_540.png

I know people are really mixed with Sam but I really liked him in this one. He was fun and never got in the way of the story.

Lost Legacy has the best banter by far. I just need Cutter to come back :)

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
they are so good together. And Troy's performance was great, maybe even better than in the lighter moments in U4

Im so down for more adventures with this crew

I loved the moment right after, when Sam points at the pizza, his facial expression is so perfect to end on. This game gave me so much that U4 didn't.

I also was okay with Sam because he came in too late to have a real impact and was just there to spice things up for the finale.

I enjoyed the story and they fleshed Chloe out in an interesting way, but Nadine should be left behind going forward I think.

She was a non-entity in A Thief's End and she's just... not that interesting here. She's alright, I don't hate her or anything, but when you've got someone like Cutter waiting in the wings, it seems like a weird choice.

Top Bottom