• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

University ignores warnings about Milo, leaving him free to bully trans student

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, this blew my mind as well.

It's clear he has serious, deep-seeded issues that cause a great deal of self-loathing. He's fucked in the head.

I genuinely think Milo is a troll. He makes me think of Ann Coulter, ie less married to their views more married to the idea of pissing people off and stirring up idiocy. Basically the absolute worst kind of people.

Maledict

Yeah, this blew my mind as well.

It's clear he has serious, deep-seated issues that cause a great deal of self-loathing. He's fucked in the head.

I wouldn't even go that far TBH. We've seen numerous examples of people happily willing to defy reality or to go against the common good in order to make a quick buck, and that's all he is doing. Just because he's doing it through the gay lense doesnt make him more fucked up that the guys pushing for oilfields in Alaska, or advocating for war so their companies can sell equipment. People are unfortunately astonishingly amoral when it comes to earning money and power.

After all, this is a guy who said he started sleeping with black drug dealers because it was the most transgressive thing he could do against his middle class liberal parents.

benjipwns

Banned
He makes me think of Ann Coulter
DYNO-MITE
8hayd4ze4tilz44a.jpg

9P2319f.jpg

This guy is the piece of shit that Twitter banned and Wikileaks were furious with Twitter for doing that...

Honestly I never really got why Twitter banned him. Like I never really saw where he directly "led" the hate against Leslie.

Not defending him mind you, cannot stand the guy in the slightest.

Umm he peddled fake tweets claiming she was the racist and the harassing one

Can I get a source for this?

That's a dickhead move of him if true but still not sure how that gets him banned when plenty of others are blasting far more inane and dumb shit on a daily basis on twitter. FFS Trump should be banned at this point.

I know some gays that are like milo. Not all gays are liberals.

Fair point. Plenty of conservatives vote against their best interests, no reason a gay man can't fit right in there with them.

Maledict

Yeah, just because he's gay doesn't mean he can't be an evil shit. He's a scam artist - he's fully aware of what he's doing, he knows the consequences, he doesn't care. He earns cash and fleeces his idiot followers and that's all that matters.

Zips

People are going to have to realize that being open to discussions and debate does not mean allowing disgusting views that rail against basic human dignity and rights a platform to spew from.

These monstrous people are coming out of the woodwork, emboldened by recent events, and the allowance by various platforms from schools to news organizations and social media to disseminate their ideas.

These things and people can be discussed, but it seems like it has been forgotten to frame such things as hateful garbage that should be eliminated and shunned. Talk about Milo, but with a focus towards how he and his thoughts came about, and how they can be fought or prevented from arising and growing. Schools neither need nor should have him there for that.

MUnited83

For you.
I think its a good thing students get exposed to the ugliness of the world. Stiffen that upper lid, kids, its gonna get worse.
Yeah because this trans student has never been exposed to the ugliness of the world in her life, she was just living in a magical hidden world until this event.

Famassu

While I'm with most of you in having a personal disdain for Milo and his views, I don't fault the college for allowing him to speak on their campus. We should be open to having a conversation with our political opposition

Obama said it best ->https://youtu.be/mi5da2AhDCY?t=241
That only applies to people who actually want to try to have any kind of discussion. Milo only wants to spread his hateful, harmful & ignorant propaganda, he isn't interested in anyone challenging his views or arguing with him about his stances.

Can I get a source for this?

That's a dickhead move of him if true but still not sure how that gets him banned when plenty of others are blasting far more inane and dumb shit on a daily basis on twitter. FFS Trump should be banned at this point.

Fair point. Plenty of conservatives vote against their best interests, no reason a gay man can't fit right in there with them.

As a part of the general harassment campaign, Yiannopoulos’s followers created a series of fake tweets, some of which appear to have been made using browser developer tools, others at the fake Twitter creation site Let Me Tweet That for You; a look at the site shows a number of similar fake tweets made recently and also attributed to Jones.

Yiannopoulos "screencapped" and reacted with fake shock to the tweets, leading many Twitter users to believe that the tweets came from Jones’s real account. The tenor of the fake tweets portrayed Jones as speaking in an exaggerated "street" slang and depicted her as dropping anti-Semitic and homophobic slurs. When Jones tweeted that she had blocked @Nero, she was inundated with racist replies in response — an (extremely offensive) representative sample comes from a self-described Gamergater, "shitposter."

http://www.vox.com/2016/7/20/12226070/milo-yiannopoulus-twitter-ban-explained

What's Sam Harris actually saying then? Isn't he the first one to say we should start profiling Muslims? Of course Trump voters would LOVE that.

I can't give a detailed explanation as to what Sam would claim should be done tbh but I can speak to the fact that he's said he does believe in profiling to some extent, and has gone as far as saying he fits the bill for someone who should be profiled. TBQH any Trump supporter calling themselves a fan of Harris is a fuckin moron and has no idea what he actually stands for. Of course they're a Trump supporter so, eh, not exactly expecting a lot of nuanced views to begin with.

He's called Trump's plans needlessly inflammatory and has absolutely never condoned the hateful shit the alt right loves to spread. I think it's fair to disagree with him but people seriously exaggerate Harris's views. He's fairly anti religious in all aspects but criticizing Islam seems to draw the ire of the left far more than criticizing Christianity.

TBQH when people try to talk about "opening a dialogue" they really should be looking at people like Harris, not Milo. Fuck Milo, fuck giving him a platform, fuck Breitbart, etc.

Orayn

I think its a good thing students get exposed to the ugliness of the world. Stiffen that upper lid, kids, its gonna get worse.

You are saying this about a case of an internet demagogue giving a presentation where he rallies thousands of Nazis to target a specific individual.

benjipwns

Banned
You are saying this about a case of an internet demagogue giving a presentation where he rallies thousands of Nazis to target a specific individual.
If you want to look on the bright side, I think Milo attracts at least as many detractors as supporters to his events.

edit: IIRC, his "tour" was going to be cut well short before he scammed all that money out of people and protesters started showing up to these

Derwind

Everyone who was responsible for Milo to have a podium to speak his hate should lose their jobs. This breaks every anti-discrimination and harrasment policies of any school I've ever attended.

Fucking hell.

I can't give a detailed explanation as to what Sam would claim should be done tbh but I can speak to the fact that he's said he does believe in profiling to some extent, and has gone as far as saying he fits the bill for someone who should be profiled. TBQH any Trump supporter calling themselves a fan of Harris is a fuckin moron and has no idea what he actually stands for. Of course they're a Trump supporter so, eh, not exactly expecting a lot of nuanced views to begin with.

He's called Trump's plans needlessly inflammatory and has absolutely never condoned the hateful shit the alt right loves to spread. I think it's fair to disagree with him but people seriously exaggerate Harris's views. He's fairly anti religious in all aspects but criticizing Islam seems to draw the ire of the left far more than criticizing Christianity.

TBQH when people try to talk about "opening a dialogue" they really should be looking at people like Harris, not Milo. Fuck Milo, fuck giving him a platform, fuck Breitbart, etc.
Sam Harris is a piece of shit. Read that again. Calling for a profiling of minorities sitting on his high horse while saying he might be picked up is a juvenile thing to say. It does not absolve his shittiness. While the minorities get the brunt of scrtutiny while at the same time making society MORE suspicious of Muslims, this guy's defense is that it might target him too because he can pass off as a brown man. Go get fucked, asshole. The security apparatus is not going to be interrogating your ass in the end.

Criticism of Islam should be allowed. But look where it leads. It leads to smarter than thou cunts sitting in hightowers endorsing profiling of Muslims. This is exactly why it draws the ire of the left; people use criticism of Islam to say and do all sorts of anti-Muslim shit.

Sam Harris is a piece of shit. Read that again. Calling for a profiling of minorities sitting on his high horse while saying he might be picked up is a juvenile thing to say. It does not absolve his shittiness. While the minorities get the brunt of scrtutiny while at the same time making society MORE suspicious of Muslims, this guy's defense is that it might target him too because he can pass off as a brown man. Go get fucked, asshole. The security apparatus is not going to be interrogating your ass in the end.

Criticism of Islam should be allowed. But look where it leads. It leads to smarter than thou cunts sitting in hightowers endorsing profiling of Muslims. This is exactly why it draws the ire of the left; people use criticism of Islam to say and do all sorts of anti-Muslim shit.

That's...not what he's saying at all. He's saying the average person committing acts of mass violence in America are white men. He's in that category. Pretty much every comment I've ever heard him make on profiling goes beyond rhetoric about Muslims and more about the nature of profiling in itself.

But yeah this is completely off topic at this point.

so bringing it back to the original topic

can the girl realistically sue?

Honestly I doubt it. I don't think he really calls for any acts of violence against her, etc. There's not really much illegal with what he's doing, just incredibly callous and fucked up.

i happened to be listening to Sam Harris' podcast while clicking this thread.. and apparently he AND Dawkins are racist zealots now and pro-Trump or something? what the fuck. that's ridiculous. have the left/progressives lost their minds?? if you understand what Harris has been saying, he is one of the most anti-Trump and anti-racist people there are.. he has been vicious towards Trump. also he has Muslims on his podcast and has really good and respectful discussions with them, without an ounce of hatred..

and why are they even mentioned in a thread about a worthless clown like Milo Y.? Harris and Dawkins are serious people with actual insight, they have nothing to do with him.

or am i wrong? i admit i'm just assuming Harris and Dawkins aren't palling around with racist/sexist internet trolls.. i don't follow Twitter or social media much so maybe i missed something.

MrHoot

The obsession that some of ya'll have to give "equal time" to "both parties", even if that means lowering the bar as low as possible just to have it happen is staggering. Free speech is one thing but there's no obligation to allow such shit to happen because of "opposition parties".

It's like if you had a debate about the earth being round, and felt obligated to have a bigoted flat earther in oppositon to a renowned scientist just in the interest of "fairness", without concerning yourself you're giving a platform to an incredibly stupid person which bogs down the entire debate.

That's...not what he's saying at all. He's saying the average person committing acts of mass violence in America are white men. He's in that category.

But yeah this is completely off topic at this point.

Honestly I doubt it. I don't think he really calls for any acts of violence against her, etc. There's not really much illegal with what he's doing, just incredibly callous and fucked up.
We should profile Muslims, or anyone who looks like he or she could conceivably be Muslim, and we should be honest about it. And, again, I wouldn’t put someone who looks like me entirely outside the bull’s-eye (after all, what would Adam Gadahn look like if he cleaned himself up?)
?

Sam Harris is viciously anti-Trump. His views on profiling are controversial, but well reasoned (and I am saying this as someone who has been profiled). He is not in the same league as Milo.

I dislike policies of 'no platform to bigots', but you should to draw the line at personal attacks and hate speech.

There may be a grey area on where exactly an argument turns into hate speech, but Milo is nothing but full-on trolling hate-speech. The university should be ashamed of giving a platform to someone who uses it to personally attacks one of their students.

Donos

is capitalising on his cult-like following with a ‘Dangerous Faggot Tour’ at universities and colleges across the US.

What i am reading? How can people give him stage to spout his shit...

Zelias

Banned
My heart goes out to this poor woman, whose dignity and possibly safety have been sacrificed on the altar of a free speech that thinks nothing of the consequences of said speech.

Fuck Milo and fuck this university.

Ketkat

You say that like we don't know that people like this exist. We do. The issue is that a University is giving this man a platform to single out and harass people for being trans.

Yeah because this trans student has never been exposed to the ugliness of the world in her life, she was just living in a magical hidden world until this event.

If you walk in to a womens lockerroom expecting to just be accepted because you identify as that gender - yes you are probably living in a magical world. But anyway, this is probably not the right forum for this discussion seeing as this is affiliated with Milo - a hateful person I dont sympathize at all with.

Source: http://www.tmj4.com/news/local-news...-discriminated-against-at-the-klotsche-center

Ketkat

If you walk in to a womens lockerroom expecting to just be accepted because you identify as that gender - yes you are probably living in a magical world.

Really? Because I've never had any trouble going to the women's room for anything. Change in stalls, and take care of business in stalls. Its not like everyone's trying to get a peek at everyone else, we're there to just take care of business and move on.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
If you walk in to a womens lockerroom expecting to just be accepted because you identify as that gender - yes you are probably living in a magical world. But anyway, this is probably not the right forum for this discussion seeing as this is affiliated with Milo - a hateful person I dont sympathize at all with.

Source: http://www.tmj4.com/news/local-news...-discriminated-against-at-the-klotsche-center
If you walk into gaf with transphobic bullshit expecting it to be accepted because "huuurrr it's my opinion and I'm entitled to it" you are probably living in a magical world. Fuck off with that shit.

Really? Because I've never had any trouble going to the women's room for anything. Change in stalls, and take care of business in stalls. Its not like everyone's trying to get a peek at everyone else, we're there to just take care of business and move on.

Me neither, personally. But it makes a lot of people uncomfortable. I mean you cant force people to just accept something because YOU are content with it.

All you need to know about Milo Yiannopoulos is that he is a Catholic. I don't know how much the rest of you know about Catholic culture (I'm an expert), but bullying and shame are huge parts of it.

This is disgusting. I'm hoping the silver lining this means he has less of a voice on college campuses going forward. I hope this strengthens the protests against him speaking anywhere, since he used his platform not just for "controversial statements" but targeted hate.

Ewo

I've been pretty uninformed about Milo. I just knew he was bad, and vague details about the whole Leslie Jones thing.

This is... indefensible. I can't even start to pretend to be okay with anyone who supports him or wants him unbanned on twitter.

This article over here has more information about what happened, including the Chancellor's non-apology. The article is also very unfortunately "unbiased", so click with caution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom