• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

University ignores warnings about Milo, leaving him free to bully trans student

Status
Not open for further replies.

Breads

Banned
All you need to know about Milo Yiannopoulos is that he is a Catholic. I don't know how much the rest of you know about Catholic culture (I'm an expert), but bullying and shame are huge parts of it.

That doesn't sell the idea well enough.

He is a catholic greek brit who rose to prominence riding on the tidal wave of hatred from the gamergators who propped him up as their golden boy because of his willingness to abuse their anger and most importantly their ignorance as well as his sexuality (he wants to be cured of the gays, he's one of the good ones!) to make a lot of money vomitting all over his speaking engagements in a way that the deplorables drink up like a fine wine. He has no stakes or principles tying him to his support in the US. He doesn't vote and win or lose he does not suffer or benefit from the consequences of the policies or rhetoric he influences. He's just here to make money being a professional troll.

Donos

People like what he says.

That's okay for these people who follow him.

But someone sitting at a desk at an university, reading about a speaker request with the title "Dangerous Faggot Tour" thinks "well, let's hear him out"? Don't be suprised if that pans out bad for your institution.

What if it would have been "Dangerous nigger tour"?

That doesn't sell the idea well enough.

Well people seem not to be able to tell difference between Catholics and Atheists these days so I have to spill the divine beans. People would rather have Milo over some tone deaf atheist who just wants people to be happy and would never vote for a right wing authoritarian even as a troll or protest? Pfft.

Platy

That magical world where free speech mostly means we have to listen to someone's shit at length and telling them to shut up pops their safe space bubble. What an incredible place that must be!

Where is the xkcd free speech comic when you need it ?

edit :
zlGi0CS.png

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
What if it would have been "Dangerous nigger tour"?

Wait for it, we'll probably be there soon.

Seriously, what is it with liberals constantly throwing minorities under the bus under the guise of academic wankery?

But I thought liberal campuses around the US were supposed to be vile, Un-American, Safe Spaces where minorities were pandered to and protected from the harsh real world.

Really though, I've noticed that a lot of people who brand themselves liberals are more classical liberals and not social liberals. They are ironically closer to pre-"evangelical neocon" conservatism and see themselves as intellectual defenders of individual rights, and from there their job is to stand back cool and detached and let people have a "conversation". This way they also avoid being attacked for actually having positions, which may be appealing for people in an educational setting in a for-profit country. I've heard some people say that universities are actually coddling the faculty, not the students.

RedHill

Banned
Fuck him, but I still have issues with the idea of no platforming.

Edit: having read more I would acknowledge that this case is different due to the harassment. In general however I stand by the fact that no platforming at universities is somewhat silly. Universities should promote debate and people should question these people rather than stop them from speaking.
Stop. It is 2016 and these people are literally neo-nazis. There is nothing to gain by entertaining any sort of debate.

Do Better

I think its a good thing students get exposed to the ugliness of the world. Stiffen that upper lid, kids, its gonna get worse.

Yeah man, everyone should get bullied and harrassed at some point in their life. It's such a great experience. It makes you a tough guy.

Fuckin pls

This is absurd. So the university allowed a personal attack on one of their students. What are the repercussions? Surely something can be done here. Milo is a hateful piece of shit.

Where is the xkcd free speech comic when you need it ?

edit :
zlGi0CS.png

Oh man, I have been beaten again, and I have that comic in my quick links folder.

Also yeah, this specific XKCD comic is the end-all, be-all of free speech arguments. You can argue all you want about acknowledging opposing views, but it doesn't always pass the litmus test of offensiveness.

Conservative viewpoints on trade, economics and infrastructure are useful and provide fantastic background as well as debate.

Conservative viewpoints on social issues such as transgender rights, gay rights and abortions are indicative of a represssed viewpoint devoid of any other factual argument, and steeped in religious Dogma.

styl3s

Well, I happen to be gay. And most people I know that is, isn't this hateful. Sorry, its just how I feel. Specially to other gay people. We have to stick together, specially in today's time.
Quite of few of us on GAF are gay including myself and i have met people in the community just like Milo.

Being gay doesn't mean anything other than being gay.

Bigots and White Supremacists have been trying to legitimize their views for a while now. It sucks that they are being taken seriously and I don't have answers on how to deal with them.

They have associated anyone disagreeing with their bigotry and "intolerance to disagreement".

Ekai

In real life I'm quite left wing, when it comes to the issues that matter, but I'm quite sure I'm a minority conservative when it comes to GAF.

GAF liberal thinking as of late is to impose restrictions on what I can say, who is allowed to speak, micromanaging my thoughts and voice to a certain criteria that they have deemed safe.

To be fair, I think this is a fault of the internet, not just this forum.

When it comes to the issues that matter? That you say that in this topic of all topic implies that you think legitimizing the hate-speech of transphobes doesn't matter.

Ekai

Well, I happen to be gay. And most people I know that is, isn't this hateful. Sorry, its just how I feel. Specially to other gay people. We have to stick together, specially in today's time.

The most hate I have seen/experienced (outside of cis-straight Republicans of course) has come from those in the G part of the LGBT community. I'm not surprised by Milo necessarily. I am, however, disgusted with how he's co-opting liberal ideals in order to protect his own hate-speech. It's the right-wing MO in order to try and legitimize their hate speech. They have tried for years on years and they're finally starting to succeed because of Trump's win. Because of people like Mark Mone. Because of etc. etc. etc.

Seriously, what is it with liberals constantly throwing minorities under the bus under the guise of academic wankery?

Blame the centrists, not the liberals.

grumble

Fuck him, but I still have issues with the idea of no platforming.

Edit: having read more I would acknowledge that this case is different due to the harassment. In general however I stand by the fact that no platforming at universities is somewhat silly. Universities should promote debate and people should question these people rather than stop them from speaking.

Yeah universities are not your parents and their role isn't to stifle dissent... but this is more of an atrocity.

In real life I'm quite left wing, when it comes to the issues that matter, but I'm quite sure I'm a minority conservative when it comes to GAF.

GAF liberal thinking as of late is to impose restrictions on what I can say, who is allowed to speak, micromanaging my thoughts and voice to a certain criteria that they have deemed safe.

What are you trying to say? You're in a thread about someone being harassed because of their identity to the point where she had to quit school and you come in bitching about how your free speech is under attack despite no one in this thread advocating to gag Milo completely or do anything against the 1st amendment, just to request that he shouldn't be invited to universities to spread his hatred?

Yikes

Ekai

What are you trying to say? You're in a thread about someone being harassed because of their identity to the point where she had to quit school and you come in bitching about how your free speech is under attack despite no one in this thread advocating to gag Milo completely or do anything against the 1st amendment, just to request that he shouldn't be invited to universities to spread his hatred?

Yikes

Pretty much. It's very telling of what they want to say but "can't".

Ekai

my asshole libertarian friends *love* this guy

their political hero is a fucking twitter troll

I suggest never being friends with them. Let them wallow in their hate-pit. They need to learn they aren't welcome anywhere in society.

I think its a good thing students get exposed to the ugliness of the world. Stiffen that upper lid, kids, its gonna get worse.

Minorities are already damn well aware of this shit. We experience it day and day out. The privilege it takes to say something like this is astounding and telling of how little you know of the minority experience. Forget this nonsense, acting like we need to "toughen up". Legitimizing hate speech is not acceptable by any means and anyone defending that can leave this country if they support such un-american values.

Here is the university's statement in response to a pretty amazing eight page rant from Kramer:

Michelle Johnson of University Relations & Communications provided this statement in response to Kramer’s email:

As you know, Milo Yiannopoulos’ speech was sponsored by a student organization, Turning Point USA. The university administration felt it had to allow his visit because the university cannot bar a speaker based on his or her views when the speaker has been invited by a student organization. Administrators consulted the Student Association on this point and were told the university’s decision was consistent with campus policy.

That said, the administration does not in any way share or support Yiannopoulos’ views, and we understand and empathize with the students and employees who opposed his appearance and are distressed by his remarks.

Knowing Yiannopoulos’ reputation for making controversial remarks, we sent several email messages before his appearance, advising students and employees of counseling and other resources available to them. We didn’t know in advance if Milo would target anyone specific on our campus, so we couldn’t reach out to any particular individual before the speech.

We did feel that it was important to respond quickly in the student’s defense. Because the event ended late, a staff member reached out to the student this morning to let her know about counseling and other available support services. We hope they can connect, and the student will take advantage of those services.

http://mediamilwaukee.com/top-stori...sgender-lockerroom-policy-breitbart-alt-right

This school is going to get sued to hell and back, and it's gonna be great.

And others have to take it extra far:
vJUIiol.png

key_peele_consequences_t.jpg

Bash the fash

All day everyday.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Reading her email response now.... damn. She goes all in.

Your words: “I also will not stand silently by when a member of our campus community is personally and wrongly attacked.” That is probably the biggest piece of
goddamn fucking bullshit I’ve ever read. What exactly do you plan to do? OH YEAH, NOTHING, BECAUSE YOU’RE A COWARDLY PIECE OF SHIT. Your “not standing silently” apparently consists of a single email mass-sent to the university. That’s it. You don’t get a fucking cookie for that. What else were you going to go? NOTHING. You were planning on doing jack shit.

Did you even attempt to reach out to me? NOPE. Not even an email, nothing. Instead it was supposed to suffice to just send a nice little bit of polished hogwash to the general campus. Is that right?
Seriously, you FUCKING CALLED THE GODDAMN POLICE on students at your office who were raising extremely valid concerns about Milo, you forcibly threw students out, and then you want to turn around and act like you didn’t see this coming? How fucking naïve do you think we are?
Free speech does not cover harassment, and that’s exactly what Milo did to me. But hey, do email about hashtagging #UWMstandstogether as if that fucking accomplishes anything. Damn, you fucking liberals really drive me up the wall. Now you can spend all of 10 seconds making some half-assed tweet, give it a cute hashtag, and go about your day feeling like you did something. NO. YOU DON’T GET CREDIT FOR THAT. YOU ACCOMPLISHED NOTHING. You’re as embarrassing as the people who wear a safety pin and think that counts as being an ally — patting yourself on the back for a job well done —
all while you stand silent as fascists attack your students. Some ally. Or making a hashtag that virtually nobody in the city will see, and which will do abso-fucking-lutely nothing. Good grief…UWM “stands together”…as you fucking call the police on students who tried to petition you…as you divide and attack marginalized students while saying you want unity...as you allow a fascist to use “free speech” as an pretense to harass and attack. The amount of doublethink here is just incredible.
I also knew Milo was going to regurgitate a profound amount of racist and transphobic hate. What I did not anticipate was being specifically targeted and called out in the way he did. I hadn’t said anything or made even the slightest disruption: He had his harassment of me planned out well in advance. I’m sitting there and I hear him say “Justine Kramer” and I just froze up. I have never, ever, ever been more terrified in my life of being outed. Ever. He put my picture up, which as already stated, was taken from a prior period when my masculine features were significantly more sharp and extremely noticeable. And I am sitting there frozen in total terror that somebody around me would recognize me, point me out, and incite the mob of the room against me. Nobody did point me out, thank god. But do you have ANY idea how much power Milo had and how it feels to pray that your ability to "pass" doesn’t fail you now? That’s what it was like. Fuck, you can’t even appreciate what I’m writing. You say you do but you really don’t. You do NOT have this perspective. I was looking at the stage, consciously aware of trying to not look “suspicious” and reveal I was the person he was talking about (even as I could feel the color draining from my face), but also not looking at Milo directly ‘lest he recognize me and instantly set off dozens of people screaming at me.
And did you miss the part where Milo was talking about having sex with me? Aka shoving his dick up my ass, and joking about applying lipstick to seduce me. How the fuck is this acceptable? This is both gender and sexual harassment. What court upholds this as free speech? Answer: NOBODY. THIS WAS SPECIFICALLY TARGETED AT ME. WHAT FUCKING COURT HAS EVER UPHELD THIS SORT OF HARASSMENT DIRECTED SPECIFICALLY AGAINST A STUDENT AS “FREE SPEECH”?

She then lists a whole bunch of ways the university has failed to protect transgender students and even employees, how they're not covering medical benefits for them, etc. And tells them to drop the T in their so-called "LGBT friendly policies". Can't say I blame her.

I prefer the bigots like Milos to the more dangerous bigots like Sam Harris or Maher, who normalize racism among the mainstream much more, imo. Milos just plays to a base of bigots who have pretty much always been bigots.

I wonder how much damage did the Islamaphobic and racist views of Dawkins, Harris and Maher help Trump to victory? On this issue, they are all pretty much one.
This is pure insanity. Holy shit, no, Sam Harris is not worse than Milo by any stretch of the imagination. And no, these people didn't lead Trump to victory, it was fucking Breitbart's brand of alt-right demagoguery and bigotry that did! You know, the same Breitbart whose boss is now Trump's closest fucking adviser?!

Well this post proves my point.
What point? That you are OK with sexual harassment?

Dali

Usually people that say stuff like this either don't know how to say something respectfully or just want to say some stupid ass disrespectful shit with no social penalty.

Which one are you?

Pau

God sitting through that and the best the University can do is send you an email with a link to their counseling services?

Shaffield

I suggest never being friends with them. Let them wallow in their hate-pit. They need to learn they aren't welcome anywhere in society.

to fight back i only refer to him as nero to remind them that he's a fucking twitter troll.

libertarians are fucking deluded, especially the ones constantly whining about how "everything is about identity politics with the dang liberals!" as if their entire reality is based around anecdotal articles and internet comments.

one of these friends mentioned on his facebook that "The 'Left' needs to stop generalizing the alt-right! the alt-right is a diverse movement."
irony is dead.

same motherfuckers who shut down Sanders supporters with "They Don't Know Economics LOL!!" memes, but refuse to listen to medical/scientific points of view on abortion, and shrug off climate science with a weak-ass "not the govt's job"

im getting really sick of this shit

xJavonta

Banned
My girlfriend goes here, so I visit frequently. This is probably one of the most LGBT Friendly campuses I've ever been on, second maybe to my own. It blew my mind that they allowed this piece of shit to speak. They claimed it was promoting free speech, but what he was really promoting was oppression and hate.

I wish people would stop using free speech as a way to justify the shitty things they say

Voras

All you need to know about Milo Yiannopoulos is that he is a Catholic. I don't know how much the rest of you know about Catholic culture (I'm an expert), but bullying and shame are huge parts of it.

I don't know if that is entirely fair. Now I may not be a practicing Catholic and this is only from anecdotal evidence but having been raised Catholic but I never felt that bullying and shame were huge parts of it at all. That certainly is not whatsoever the teachings of Jesus. I'm sure in practice that there are Catholic churches that do push bullying and shame and I can't even speak to whether or not that is the majority. But I can say that I don't believe that is the core of present day Catholicism. Just look at the religious right, they are predominantly not Catholic, they're Evangelicals. They are really the group of Christians that are pushing hate the strongest from what I can see.

Milo on the other hand is completely disgusting and it is horrible that any university would allow him to speak there knowing what a monster he is.

libertarians are fucking deluded, especially the ones constantly whining about how "everything is about identity politics with the dang liberals!" as if their entire reality is based around anecdotal articles and internet comments.

They hate identity politics but are fine with getting into bed with the far right. They love identity politics so much that it defines everything they do and say. They love identity politics so much that millions of people were slaughtered in the name of their brand of identity politics last century. Actual unchained mass insanity.

Plenty of people do not like identity politics at all and hate how marginalised people are being forced into choosing it as their hill to die on. Technically you could call those people Libertarians or Liberals but what Libertarian has come to stand for today is a twisted version of what it could mean. If you claim to be Libertarian and are fine with people who very very selectively battle against "identity politics" to the point where don't mind nationalism or racial supremacists they are in reality no sort of Libertarian at all.

I don't know if that is entirely fair. Now I may not be a practicing Catholic and this is only from anecdotal evidence but having been raised Catholic but I never felt that bullying and shame were huge parts of it at all.

Well, I had a Catholic education. I think that it's fair to say that Milo is certainly a type of person that could be produced by a Catholic upbringing. Especially one that doesn't grow up to become a fine upstanding heretic.

This school is going to get sued to hell and back, and it's gonna be great.

key_peele_consequences_t.jpg

All day everyday.

I have to say, I thought stuff like this was only possible in the mind of B-movie scriptwriters, where the hero has to overcome all the hatred from shithead students in his/her school and the equally as shitheaded behaviour of the administration. Looks like reality wasn't that far off.
I can only assume that there are even more movie-reality parallels to be drawn and the spineless administration fears to anger some financial heavyweight parents of some of their pos students when they don't go along with some of their stunts.
I hope they get sued into the ground.

Ketkat

My girlfriend goes here, so I visit frequently. This is probably one of the most LGBT Friendly campuses I've ever been on, second maybe to my own.

Is it LGBT friendly or just LGB? Because I'm not seeing the T from anything this girl was talking about when she quit the college

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
My girlfriend goes here, so I visit frequently. This is probably one of the most LGBT Friendly campuses I've ever been on, second maybe to my own. It blew my mind that they allowed this piece of shit to speak. They claimed it was promoting free speech, but what he was really promoting was oppression and hate.

I wish people would stop using free speech as a way to justify the shitty things they say
Is it LGBT friendly or just LGB? Because I'm not seeing the T from anything this girl was talking about when she quit the college
This. That letter was scathing, anyway.

Reeks

Actually, conversation with our opposition has everything to do with. At least to me, I consider Milo to be in opposition to my views, and this event was literally him having a discussion with people of opposing views to his. Personally, I'm not afraid to have an argument with Milo, and I think I could take him to school on a lot of issues. If you're not willing to have that conversation, that is your own choice, and I respect that.. but as Obama said, college students don't need to be coddled, and we don't learn anything when we try to silence those we do not agree with

I don't disagree in saying there is a certain point of absurdity where it is time to disengage from the conversation. What I do not agree with is when we avoid any attempts to have a rational conversation with the person. If you're not willing to give it a try, again that is your choice and I respect that, but I would also urge you to respect those who are willing to accept that challenge. I don't think we need to go the route of preventing the conversation from taking place

I'm very late in my response, but I'm going to bump.

I am tired of this rhetoric: if any gaping asshole is called out, suddenly it's censorship or an attempt to 'coddle' students? For those of us who live and breathe academia, we have critical debates all-the-time: it's our bread and butter. We could do more to step outside our ivory towers, true, but don't think we reside in echo chambers. The fact is, trans people are already disproportionately targeted for harassment and violence including rape and murder. Spend a couple hours reading about it. Shit, spend 30 minutes reading about it. And a trans student was harassed during an official talk? With a PowerPoint? That is absolutely unacceptable and goes against everything academia strives to be, even if the student wasn't trans. How is this even a question? Here at my university, when a medical student 'teased' an attending doctor following his rotation at a *closed* talk (it was totally racist and sexist), action was taken by the medical school. All this to say that harassment has no place in academia. Period. No one gets a pass.

Protecting the integrity of academia is not the same as 'coddling'.

The university has a responsibility to bring bright minds of variegated backgrounds together to engage in a dialogue that has the potential to be fruitful, even if it becomes exothermic - actually, that *is* academia, literally. That is very different from a university paying for / sponsoring a bigot to come and speak, someone who will use the university-ordained platform to violate a students' rights. The conflation these ideas is representative of the deep trouble we currently face as a society.

Horns

Late to the discussion. Will the university punish the group of students that invited Milo? They seem to have intentionally started this problem. I would think the school would hold students to a certain level of standards including being responsible for guests.

Kinsei

Banned
Late to the discussion. Will the university punish the group of students that invited Milo? They seem to have intentionally started this problem. I would think the school would hold students to a certain level of standards including being responsible for guests.

Of course not.

Ekai

It's not just the centrists.

It mostly is the centrists. It always has been. They're the ones privileged enough to not understand the situation/propose "we need to unify" nonsense since they always advocate bending the knee to Republicans at a moment's notice.

to fight back i only refer to him as nero to remind them that he's a fucking twitter troll.

one of these friends mentioned on his facebook that "The 'Left' needs to stop generalizing the alt-right! the alt-right is a diverse movement."
irony is dead.

same motherfuckers who shut down Sanders supporters with "They Don't Know Economics LOL!!" memes, but refuse to listen to medical/scientific points of view on abortion, and shrug off climate science with a weak-ass "not the govt's job"

im getting really sick of this shit

Hence why I would say to cut them out of your life. It's a headache and a waste of your time.

Reeks

Or the university administration who gave the green light? Let's start there.

RedHill

Banned
Please, as if the first time a trans person receives harassment is at college. You have no idea what bullshit you're flinging. Enjoy the ban.

4ZQknrY.png

Apparently there are none?

x3za6JU.png

Ohhh I have to buy the booklet

"Featured Guest Speaker Tomi Lahren"

WELL GEE YOU GUYS. I WONDER IF THIS GROUP HAS AN AGENDA?

If you go to the site and watch the banner ads, it's even more hysterical, there's literally 1 person of any color beyond pale as shit in any of the group photos.

Seriously:

Find me a person of color in there, beyond the singular token light skinned (because dark skinned black people are scary) girl they shove into the very front.

Oh shit I quoted you bashing for this boogeyman drive by post and completely missed this condescending line. Yeah, Trans rights don't matter I forgot.

Kudos to pigeon for pointing it out, whether it was intentional or not by you it paints a pretty nice picture of what kind of ally you are. Straight white moderates strike again.

Like it still blows my mind that in a thread about a serial harasser harassing someone on her own campus we have people on gaf (which is one of the most liberal mainstream forums out there) immediately get worried that simply not inviting the harasser is going to lead to the destruction of free speech. No or little empathy for the victim, no understanding of how these people aren't worth debating and won't actually hold rational debates, no understanding of how too many people buy in to their bullshit even in formal settings where they're clobbered by facts and logic, no understanding that they're still free to speak if they aren't given an elevated platform. No the more pressing issue is making sure these neo-nazis keep getting invited to colleges so they can spread their hatred and bigotry and harass students in the process.

Just. Fuck.

orangutang

Neo Member
Like it still blows my mind that in a thread about a serial harasser harassing someone on her own campus we have people on gaf (which is one of the most liberal mainstream forums out there) immediately get worried that simply not inviting the harasser is going to lead to the destruction of free speech. No or little empathy for the victim, no understanding of how these people aren't worth debating and won't actually hold rational debates, no understanding of how too many people buy in to their bullshit even in formal settings where they're clobbered by facts and logic, no understanding that they're still free to speak if they aren't given an elevated platform. No the more pressing issue is making sure these neo-nazis keep getting invited to colleges so they can spread their hatred and bigotry and harass students in the process.

Just. Fuck.
Either they're the type of moderate mlk was talking about or they just want to shut down discussion. Probably both.

Just. Fuck.

I don't get how having some level of standards when it comes to who should be allowed to be a speaker on campus = Overly PC Free Speech Oppression.

My freaking local dive-bar on it's Open Mic Nights probably has enough sense to not let shit like Milo's drivel get a pass. How garbage like this was allowed and validated in an academic environment is beyond me.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.

How about you say what you really think? Oh wait, you won't because you are a coward.

finley83

Banned
People like this make my blood boil. To think of all the progress we have made in decades to get to this point, and then see shallow minded cretins like this trying to tear it all down so they can feel important and/or make money off their insidious drivel.

The key to dealing with this sort of person is to deny them attention and coverage. They thrive on attention and wither and die in the shadows without it. Every problem in their life is always someone else's fault, and usually someone less privileged or fortunate than they ever were.

The irony of this guy going on a "Dangerous Faggot" tour while throwing shade at others struggling to gain acceptance in the world is fucking palpable. I hope that one day the reality will hit him hard that others have given up their lives to afford him the right to freedom of sexuality and expression, when a hundred years ago he would have been locked up by a society far less tolerant than the one we have today.

You don't have to approve of transexuality to be tolerant of it, it's really not difficult. Stop smashing your head against an invisible wall, get on with your life and leave others to theirs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom