• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

University of Florida rejects Richard Spencer's campus event, cites public safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viewt

giphy.gif

From University President Kent Fuchs.

Dear Campus Community:

Amid serious concerns for safety, we have decided to deny the National Policy Institute’s request to rent event space at the University of Florida.

This decision was made after assessing potential risks with campus, community, state and federal law enforcement officials following violent clashes in Charlottesville, Va., and continued calls online and in social media for similar violence in Gainesville such as those decreeing: “The Next Battlefield is in Florida.”

I find the racist rhetoric of Richard Spencer and white nationalism repugnant and counter to everything the university and this nation stands for.

That said, the University of Florida remains unwaveringly dedicated to free speech and the spirit of public discourse. However, the First Amendment does not require a public institution to risk imminent violence to students and others.

The likelihood of violence and potential injury – not the words or ideas – has caused us to take this action.

I wish he'd made a stronger condemnation of the group itself, but it's great that they won't be allowed to spew their garbage on UF's campus. I hope other universities take the same approach and choke these fuckers out.
And then hopefully some fine citizen will do that literally.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
As usual, if an ISIS group was going around the US speaking at universities, I've like to see how everyone, from faculties, to the right wing, to supremely principled centrists, would react.

Ithil

That's an easy out for the "muh free speech" claim, after the violence in Charlottesville they can deny any of these alt-right events by citing safety concerns.

These administrators need to stop being so damn scared to have a bunch of angry nutters throw freeze peaches at them. They just need to straight up say "Your hate speech is unwelcome here. Fuck off."

Kebiinu

Banned
Just here to watch the dumbass posters try and spin this into, "But muh free speeeeech. Think of the Constitution!!"

Finally some bit of good news. However small.

I3rand0

These administrators need to stop being so damn scared to have a bunch of angry nutters throw freeze peaches at them. They just need to straight up say "Your hate speech is unwelcome here. Fuck off."

Seriously. Why it took so long to make this decision/statement after the events of this weekend is mind boggling.

The Kree

Banned
To be sure, it's not the presence of white supremacists that worries them, it's the inevitable arrival of their opposition.

Seriously. Why it took so long to make this decision/statement after the events of this weekend is mind boggling.

It's a lawsuit if they do that and say that's why

Like when you deck someone from Westboro Baptist

cameron

He's free to host his Nazi freeze peach event at his apartment.

As usual, if an ISIS group was going around the US speaking at universities, I've like to see how everyone, from faculties, to the right wing, to supremely principled centrists, would react.

Even someone like UK hate preacher Anjem Choudary. I doubt anyone in the US would entertain his bullshit.

MrNelson

Banned

Because as a public university they are required by law to allow them to be there in whatever area they have designated for public assembly.

I'm sure they just had to make sure they had their ducks in a row so they could deny them on the grounds of safety concerns.

A lot of racist statues coming down and a lot of Nazis being told to fuck off this week. It feels like maybe a critical mass of people have finally had enough of this shit.

Lkr

Well there goes some low hanging fruit to make fun of UF with.

I was gonna drive over there for the counter protest if this shit was going down

Lunar15

I like how Fuchs uses Spencer's own words as reason for the move.

Yep, by framing it as a combative group looking for a fight, he throws the ball entirely in their court.

And like others said, this is now a tactic literally any government institution can use.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
All universities need to take this stand...

I wonder what would happen if there were isis supporters or taliban supporters roaming the streets peacefully with weapons. How would that go down? There needs to be an social experiment but I actually think many would die so there's that

lightus

Because as a public university they are required by law to allow them to be there in whatever area they have designated for public assembly.

I'm sure they just had to make sure they had their ducks in a row so they could deny them on the grounds of safety concerns.

Yeah I'm kind of confused people are acting as if the university is a private institution. I'm pretty sure saying "you guys are Nazi's fuck off" isn't enough to deny them a public space legally. That'd be cool if it was, but from my understanding of the current laws, it's not.

If anyone has more knowledge on this please correct me. I felt it took them as long as it did because they were making sure they could legally deny them space.

I'm relieved the "battle ground" has been denied. I live in Gainesville and hearing word of all these Nazi's booking flights to head here was disconcerting. I know a lot of people who would have joined in the protest and I'd rather not have a Charlottesville repeat here. Having all these other people come wreck my city then fly back home in comfort doesn't sit well either.

DrArchon

Yeah, describing your next speaking location as "The Next Battlefield" sounds to me like shouting fire in crowded space. If you're even hinting at large scale violence as a result of your gathering, I see no reason that the University should've been forced to let you speak.

I wish they'd have come out and said "No you can't come here because you're Nazis and we hate everything you stand for" but I'll take what I can get I guess.

Yeah I'm kind of confused people are acting as if the university is a private institution. I'm pretty sure saying "you guys are Nazi's fuck off" isn't enough to deny them a public space legally. That'd be cool if it was, but from my understanding of the current laws, it's not.

If anyone has more knowledge on this please correct me. I felt it took them as long as it did because they were making sure they could legally deny them space.

I'm relieved the "battle ground" has been denied. I live in Gainesville and hearing word of all these Nazi's booking flights to head here was disconcerting. I know a lot of people who would have joined in the protest and I'd rather not have a Charlottesville repeat here. Having all these other people come wreck my city then fly back home in comfort doesn't sit well either.

If it's any consolation, me and some friends intended to be in Gville for the protest. If they cancel this thing for good, we'll have a perfect reason to head to Ichetucknee for some tubing, instead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom