• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida gov. declares state of emergency before Richard Spencer speech

I'm sure someone is going to come in here and tell me how wrong I am, but the cops in Gainesville are generally good people. Gainesville as a whole is an incredibly liberal place even when not taking into consideration the students there. The city removed it's one Confederate statue like one or two days after the Charlottesville event. Even if the police wanted to be thugs there would be consequences here for their actions.

I thought this event got cancelled? What changed did they just end up delaying it?

It was canceled. They got sued. Now they're hosting it.

Sounds like Florida to me.
Or maybe you can realize that this is going on all over the US and it's a federal issue. Individual states and public universities can't do shit about this until laws are changed to be more competent. Which will never happen given the trash that is the USA.

charpunk

As someone who lives near there, this is heartbreaking that this piece of shit is coming here to spread his hate. So fucking tired of this shit.

El_Chino

Blizzard

Banned
This is win-win for those Nazi fucks. They can bankrupt all those "elitist Liberal institutions".
This is an interesting point. The investment to rent out a venue is minor compared to a $500,000 security bill. Wouldn't a viable strategy for these groups be to repeatedly rent any open venues at public universities, since per this thread they're all required by law to allow it?

That will then force either the school or the state to pay a massively disproportionate amount in security etc. to the amount the nazis actually invested, or else have a shitstorm on their campuses.

It was canceled. They got sued. Now they're hosting it.

Or maybe you can realize that this is going on all over the US and it's a federal issue. Individual states and public universities can't do shit about this until laws are changed to be more competent. Which will never happen given the trash that is the USA.

Whelp either way a ton of people are going to show up to protest it. I lived in the neighborhood that church that was burning Qurans was located and made national news for doing it. Everyday for what was probably two weeks there was at least 10-20 people protesting. That was over an extended period of time I imagine turnout will be much bigger for this.

bionic77

Or.......

We could classify White Supremacists, Nazi's and the KKK as terrorist organizations (that they are) and treat them the same fucking way we would treat ISIS if someone invited them to speak at a college.

But that's crazy talk. White supremacy will always defend its own no matter what.
It is insane how much white supremacists can get away with in 2017.

Muslims try to build a mosque in Manhanntan and have to drop it because it offended too many people. And that as BEFORE Trump. Since then it offends people that black people are peacefully protesting police brutality in their communities, such that the president of the country comes out and calls then sons of bitches.

On the other hand you get white supremacists holding rallies and a few weeks later coming back to speak at universities and spread their message of actual hate.

This nation is really fucked up at the moment. Not sure how we fix it.

I get angrier every day and nothing fucking changes.

Sounds like Florida to me.
Awesome take bro, go ahead and pat yourself on the back for that one..Suprised you didn’t bother spamming the bugsbunnyFL.gif

Anyways back on topic. This looks like a federal issue, that’ll continue to happen across the nation. Glad UF came out and said fuck em.

It is insane how much white supremacists can get away with in 2017.

Muslims try to build a mosque in Manhanntan and have to drop it because it offended too many people. And that as BEFORE Trump. Since then it offends people that black people are peacefully protesting police brutality in their communities, such that the president of the country comes out and calls then sons of bitches.

On the other hand you get white supremacists holding rallies and a few weeks later coming back to speak at universities and spread their message of actual hate.

This nation is really fucked up at the moment. Not sure how we fix it.

I get angrier every day and nothing fucking changes.

You don't. At this point I'm just waiting for one of these nations that claims to abhor how America treats minorities to say "Y'all ain't gotta live like that..come on over here we'll let ya stay here." But sadly don't no one want black people.

Awesome take bro, go ahead and pat yourself on the back for that one..Suprised you didn’t bother spamming the bugsbunnyFL.gif

Anyways back on topic. This looks like a federal issue, that’ll continue to happen across the nation. Glad UF came out and said fuck em.

Take it easy, champ. I made a flippant joke out of frustration - I'm well aware of UF's awkward position in this mess.

Blizzard

Banned
I don't think he has been formally invited by anyone at UF.
That goes back to my question about venues even more so, then. As long as they have the money, couldn't a group like this just spam venue rentals as much as possible, essentially trolling public universities to abuse the law, if they don't even need an invite from on-campus?

That goes back to my question about venues even more so, then. As long as they have the money, couldn't a group like this just spam venue rentals as much as possible, essentially trolling public universities to abuse the law, if they don't even need an invite from on-campus?

This is exactly what they've been doing. The University of Cincinnati just recently put out a statement from the president about him coming using similar methods. Ohio State is refusing so far, but they are also being sued. And I'll bet they'll relent in short order.

This is exactly what they've been doing. The University of Cincinnati just recently put out a statement from the president about him coming using similar methods. Ohio State is refusing so far, but they are also being sued. And I'll bet they'll relent in short order.

The system is well and truly fucked then.

Why are they declaring a state of emergency? Is it to shut down protests?

Isn't that violating first amendment?

No they're probably afraid of another Charlottesburg and are covering bases. Looks much better if you have a riot and have the forces to cover it than to just let people go nuts unimpeded.

The system is well and truly fucked then.

Remember it goes both ways though. They can't cancel a speaker on gay rights or any other liberal leaning topic for the same reason. Having rights is a double edged sword in most situations. It sucks that people can abuse them but it is better than pushing one way or another. Censor one and you eventually censor all.

Vire

Remember it goes both ways though. They can't cancel a speaker on gay rights or any other liberal leaning topic for the same reason. Having rights is a double edged sword in most situations. It sucks that people can abuse them but it is better than pushing one way or another. Censor one and you eventually censor all.
Does gay rights incite violence? This guy is literally chanting blood and soil.

I mean there are some pretty pissy antigay people but no not in the way blood and soil does. The thing is though that as soon as you make a precident of no this guy can't speak then someone else will get offended by another speaker. Then the University will ban him, so on and so forth. Pretty soon either noone is allowed to speak or only the "right" people are allowed to speak. At a southern university I'll let you figure out who the "right" people are.

daveo42

Banned
They can say no, and have a fight in court. But they're fucking cowards.

They'd would lose in court because hate speech is protected. Speech that incites violence isn't protected, but getting that as legal precedent when it comes to hate speech will be difficult. Charllottesville was probably the closest they could have come to claiming it in court.

This chucklefuck just going around draining public education of money?

He's a Nazi, of course he'd do this. Shutting down intelligent conversation is part of their MO.

A state of emergency?

How about just some common sense instead?
This is America dammit. Let the nazis speak.

/sarcasm
Unbelievable. $500k going up in flames.

Goddamn America is broken in so many different way.
Starve the universities and the right will finally kill the last institutions that churn out liberals. They know what they're doing and centrist democrats will cheer for it all the way because punching nazis is too distasteful. Canada better get ready because they're gonna see some real strife south of the border in the coming decades and all for some freeze peaches.

TS-08

Chanting “blood and soil” is beyond vile, but it likely would not meet the standard for incitement pursuant to First Amendment jurisprudence.

1) This isn't UF's fault, as some people have pointed out.

2) This town is a lot more liberal than the surrounding area.

3) There are a lot of people around here who still believe a lot of abhorrent things. I know people here who are Klan or approve of them, teach their kids about how awesome slave owners were, etc. I'm not confident in the "liberal Gainesville will reject him" narrative, but we will see.

4) Fuck Nazis.

Raven117

This chucklefuck just going around draining public education of money?

Thats a pretty good letter.

There has to be something about the security situation. I am all for Freedom of Speech. Absolutely...Very few if any exceptions (including hate speech, but not including true threats), but it is a different matter entirely when an individual speaking and exercising that right makes the public (student fees and tax payer dollars) to provide the security. Especially to a tune of 500K.

If this dude wants to hop up on the corner of Main and First in downtown Gainsville, then knock yourself out...hell, someone may do it for you, but to labor a public university to protect your ass to the tune of half a million dollars while doing it quite frankly is not a free speech issue. This far exceeds anything reasonable.

Chanting ”blood and soil" is beyond vile, but it likely would not meet the standard for incitement pursuant to First Amendment jurisprudence.
It doesn't. Its abhorrent, but abhorrent speech is protected.

$500.000 for this shit? What the hell. Meanwhile, kids are drowning in student debt. Cancel the fucking event and donate that stuff to kids who can't pay for their education.

What a waste of money. Where are all the fiscal conservatives when it comes to spending big to protect hate speech.

XI8zhXj.jpg

lightus

$500.000 for this shit? What the hell. Meanwhile, kids are drowning in student debt. Cancel the fucking event and donate that stuff to kids who can't pay for their education.

They tried to cancel the event and they can't. It's been repeated ad nauseam in this thread.

Also, no I'm happy they are spending the money on this event's security. I live 10 minutes away from where this event is being held. I'm happy they are taking this seriously.

This is America dammit. Let the nazis speak.

/sarcasm

Starve the universities and the right will finally kill the last institutions that churn out liberals. They know what they're doing and centrist democrats will cheer for it all the way because punching nazis is too distasteful. Canada better get ready because they're gonna see some real strife south of the border in the coming decades and all for some freeze peaches.

This is where I am going. I have given blood, sweat, and tears for this country and I don't recognize it anymore. It is a shitshow.

If the country keeps on spiraling downwards, I expect a mass exodus, brain drain in the coming decades.

They tried to cancel the event and they can't. It's been repeated ad nauseam in this thread.

Also, no I'm happy they are spending the money on this event's security. I live 10 minutes away from where this event is being held. I'm happy they are taking this seriously.
I think I agree. Obviously I don’t know how those costs are actually going to be in practice, but to me it shows that the university is concerned with safety. That being said, a lot of people are saying the costs are to protect Spencer, but I’m not entirely sure what the intent really is. I know President Fuchs definitely tried to shut it down, but because it’s a public university and the venue was paid for, they’re fucked

I am about that close to the venue as well, so it’s appreciated in theory. I’m much more angry that there wasn’t a decision on a larger scale to shut something like this down, and equally as angry at Spencer and his shitty little following

If we had them now, Republicans would make it illegal to say anything bad about cops, but say that calling for homosexuals to be burned is "protected religious freedom" or some shit

I had temporary forgotten that your country has descended into hell. You're absolutely right of course.

lightus

For people wanting to know more about this event see here:

https://freespeech.ufl.edu/qa-for-1019-event/

This is the personal message UF's president sent all employees:
Dear UF community,

Over the past several months our nation’s great public research universities have increasingly become the targets of individuals and groups who intend to gain national publicity for their messages of racism and hate by inciting protest, which has led to violence. We have watched this occur at the University of Virginia and the University of California, Berkeley. Now, one of these individuals, Richard Spencer, a white nationalist from the National Policy Institute, and his followers intend to do the same here at the University of Florida on Thursday, October 19.

The values of our universities are not shared by Mr. Spencer, the National Policy Institute or his followers. Our campuses are places where people from all races, origins and religions are valued equally, welcomed and treated with love, not hate. Our mission is to engage in the world’s preeminent scholarship and education for the public good, not to sow lies, discord and violence.

No one at our university invited Mr. Spencer, nor is anyone at UF sponsoring this event. UF has been clear and consistent in its denunciation of all hate speech and racism, and in particular the racist speech and white-nationalist values of Mr. Spencer. I personally find the doctrine of white supremacy abhorrent and denounce all forms of racism and hate.

If you are like me, I expect you are surprised and even shocked to learn that UF is required by law to allow Mr. Spencer to speak his racist views on our campus, and that we are not allowed by law to bill him for the full costs of keeping our campus safe, which exceed more than a half million dollars. We have prepared a Q&A to answer the numerous questions and misperceptions around Mr. Spencer and his event. You will find a link at freespeech.ufl.edu, which I encourage you to review.

I urge our community to do two things:

First, do not provide Mr. Spencer and his followers the spotlight they are seeking. They are intending to attract crowds and provoke a reaction in order to draw the media. I urge everyone to stay away from Mr. Spencer and his followers and the Phillips Center where he will speak and the media will be assembled on October 19. By shunning him and his followers we will block his attempt for further visibility.

Second, although I urge you to avoid the Spencer event, I ask that you not let Mr. Spencer’s message of hate and racism go unchallenged. Speak up for your values and the values of our university. Make it clear that messages of hate on our campus are contrary to those values. Mr. Spencer’s message is disproportionately hurtful to members of our Gator community who are targets of hate and violence simply because of their skin color, religion, culture, sexual orientation or beliefs. Those of us in the majority must speak up for those in the minority and make our voice of love and support heard.

Our student leaders planned over the next several weeks a series of events, tagged #TogetherUF, promoting dialogue, education and the embrace of our shared humanity. The first event, set for Wednesday, October 11, is a panel titled, “A Conversation on the First Amendment” in the Rion Ballroom of the Reitz Union from 5 to 6:30 p.m. I plan to be there.

Members of the Gator family please be understanding, caring and supportive– taking care of yourselves and each other – particularly in the next few weeks. As one of our nation’s great public research universities, with values that are contrary to all that Mr. Spencer represents, we refuse to be defined by this event. We will overcome this external threat to our university and our values. We will become an even stronger community and an even greater university.

Warmly,

Kent Fuchs
President
University of Florida

Also, just got this email. Looks like this state of emergency was called in by the county sheriff in order to help facilitate coordination.

Statement regarding Gov. Scott’s Declaration

This afternoon, Gov. Rick Scott issued an executive order to provide for enhanced coordination among state, county and municipal agencies which may be called upon to assist law enforcement at the University of Florida on Oct. 19.

This measure, which came at the request of Alachua County Sheriff Sadie Darnell, is not in response to any specific heightened threat. It is a process that enables various law enforcement agencies to work together more efficiently. For example, agencies from multiple jurisdictions can be mobilized, if necessary, without bureaucratic delays.

We appreciate Gov. Scott’s support and commitment to UF’s campus safety.

Safe to say I'm taking the day off this Thursday.

Top Bottom