• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
It's funny driving around, all you hear is the sounds of generators. I've seen a city truck drive twice by where I live but haven't seen the city clean up the downed power lines. I'm trying not to get pissy cus the amount of downed power lines is crazy fuck this heat isn't making it any better.

XShagrath

I haven't really been keeping up in here due to the 'no power' thing. My cell died Tuesday night with no way to charge. My wife and I packed up the cats and headed to my mom's place near Daytona Beach and have been there since.

Duke Energy says that Seminole county should get power back by Sunday night. Luckily, my wife's classes were cancelled until Monday due to damage at her campus. I don't have work until next week either due to my campus (different school) not having power either.

My thoughts go out to everyone still suffering the effects of the storm.

Miami shores police chief called in the national guard for assistance because thiefs were breaking into homes and houses before and during the hurricane. And as if to mock the local police, they broke into the municipal offices and buildings just for fun.

One of the buildings is literally across from the police station.

FreezeSSC

Still havent been able to go back to work, the area is still without power and we had some minor flood damage. Hoping things get settled soon I like time off but not like this.

Hesemonni

Banned
Trump-univ-looters.jpg

So I guess these heroes, patriots even, aren't around when you actually have to do something?

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Getting real fucking sick and tired of this shit when it seems like everywhere surrounding my complex has power and haven't seen a single fucking Duke Energy truck.

Jag

I dont know how much longer i can take this. I was out of power for 18 days from wilma, but this somehow seems more agonizing

It was much cooler here after Wilma.

Can you find a hotel with power?

Miami shores police chief called in the national guard for assistance because thiefs were breaking into homes and houses before and during the hurricane. And as if to mock the local police, they broke into the municipal offices and buildings just for fun.

One of the buildings is literally across from the police station.

I'm on the fence about getting a shotgun for the house. My kids are older, but i'm still not sure I want one in the house even though I grew up around guns.

witness

Finally got power back last night in Orlando! We had rented a hotel Tuesday and Wednesday, shit was awful. I'm so sorry to those who still dont have power 😟

Briarios

I was able to get a reputable company to come take care of the tree that fell on my house. Ended up costing me over $1000 ... But the original estimates I'd gotten were around $1500.

The arborist I spoke with said the tree was like 6000 to 7000 pounds. It was crazy.

Well, Irma definitely ended up costing me a lot.

Seems like a bunch of people in Seminole county just got power back. I feel like i've suddenly been thrust from the 19th century into the 21st.

Double D

Went home and checked at lunchtime, still no power. But saw about 75 trucks parked at the mall. Thought I might bring some refreshments and lounge chairs.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Bunch of Duke Boys are working on poles and downed power lines on my street. I may finally have power tonight.

When you gotta keep the door open because 91 degrees is cooler than the insane, you know you're fucked.

Krakatoa

still no power. I finally caved and got a generator and a window AC. At least now I have a cool room, and a fridge running.

I don't have faith it will be restored until early next week.

Just got power an hour ago. Feels great even though now I'm juggle some job stuff I havent been able to get to.

Some hope for others though:

I've been using the FPL outage website at least twice a day since outage (both online and on phone) with their estimate saying likely power to be back Sunday the 17th at 11:47pm. Power came today so if anyone is hearing a later date, don't give out hope on it being sooner.

I do feel your pain of having no power and dead heat. It's rougher than it sounds and worse with each day.

Finally got internet up and running which was the last of things being down. Although now there's sewage system backups happening on some nearby streets.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
My internet is currently really spotty via Comcast in 33016. Is anyone else affected?

Check your DNS,

Try google's at 8.8.8.8

Mine reverted back to comcast default, and was running like shit today.

Bajan32

No power since Sunday morning. Feel like I'm going to overheat.
FPL website been giving different readouts.
1st in progress
2nd creating ticket
3rd something I forgot
Now back to in progress.
Not a damn FPL truck in sight.

How the f can my building be the only building on block with no damn power..

Also garbage truck didn't come by Friday before storm. So there 2 weeks of trash piled up outside garbage room..

Guess who's apartment is above garbage room..

Can I drop F Bombs? Cuz damn I am pissed

In N Miami

F you FPL.. seriously

Spinluck

No power here (Ocala), but my boss was nice enough to lend me and my family his generator though (he doesn't have power but he's staying at his mothers who does).

I was sure to let him know he made their night as well as mine.

Arthos

Finally got power!

But Xfinity is down in my area, so no internet or TV. I'm just happy to finally be able to get good sleep now. The heat was getting unbearable.

I can't even imagine all that Florida heat with no air conditioning. That is just plain miserable. I am hoping everyone is getting their power turned back on sooner rather then later.
My Aunt's power came back on Tuesday night, she at least had her RV to help her through until it turned back on.
Haven't heard from my Husband's cousins in Miami yet.
I am still surprised that my parents and siblings didn't lose any power at all in Tampa. I am very thankful for that!

Krakatoa

My area got marked as fixed by FPL and it wasn't fixed. We all had to create a new ticket with FPL, and we are now at the back of the line.

I'm so glad I got that Generator and window AC yesterday.

Dragoshi1

8 trucks across my street. Our power stuff is behind the daycare next to us, but I have hope. Cannot do another night in this heat.

Estimated power back up is midnight tonight for my county, so heres hoping.

Nialrot

Anybody's service with AT&T really spotty?

Very, got power back yesterday afternoon and internet was extremely sluggish.

I had zero reception/bars the last several days for my phone.

I run fiber and the Ethernet connected X1 showed 20 down, 10 up and 20%+ packet loss.

It should clear up, phone/internet in the next few days.

III-V

Glad to hear some of you are getting your power back. I never lost mine, save for about an hour yesterday. My sister and her family still with me, as they haven't been powered back on.

Huzzah! My apartment finally got power!
Now to throw away everything in my fridge ��

For me, this is one of the worst parts about the power going out. If it doesn't come back on fast enough, your food is gone unless you have a generator.

Money down the drain.

I know that feeling.

I finally have power!!!!

I also have internet, thank fuck. Back to working from home for me

My wifes parents had to watch our baby during the week since her normal daycare is out of power all week, theyre about 40 minutes away so she ended up staying there through the night as well. My wife and I have been devastated, but shes back home and were all in good spirits now. Life is finally getting back to normal.

Top Bottom