• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Carolina declares state of emergency over Hurricane Irma

Cheddahz

Banned
The State Article
S.C. Gov. Henry McMaster declared a ”state of emergency" Wednesday, shortly after state forecasters warned Hurricane Irma could be a ”major hurricane" when it reaches South Carolina.

The executive order allows for state agencies to coordinate efforts if a weather emergency arises.

Irma could make landfall in South Carolina as a category 3 or 4 hurricane, according to a Wednesday update by forecasters at the National Weather Service in Columbia. The powerful storm would then move inland, impacting areas as far away from the coast as the Midlands.

McMaster will hold a press conference about the storm at 2 p.m. Wednesday at the S.C. Emergency Management Division.

What if we all turn our oscillating room fans towards the Atlantic, can we push this thing away? It's the sort of national project needed to unite the country.

VariantX

Welp, it's gonna be a busy next few days at work now. People will clear the shelves whenever there is a hint of a storm coming.

Whelp.

Glad I bought water. I have some MREs on the way from Fort Jackson.

Hopefully my trip to Boston is cancelled next week. Don't want to be away from my fam.

J-Rzez

WTF are you guys talking about? Im here in Myrtle right now, been having a great time. Everything's clean, everyone is pleasant. Today has been the first day of slightly rainy weather. Only thing out of the norm is we're here apparently during "mustang week," literally thousands of the things driving around. I didnt even get ran over any doing burnouts from a show/parking lot yet.

Anyways, I'm leaving Sat. Worst I have to deal with is traffic depending on how the storm tracks.

Wife and I are leaving on Friday for some relatives in Arkansas.

Bringing my little sister with me. Kinda worried though as my Pops is Chief of the Fire Dept. And he'll be behind doing search and rescue for those that ignore the warnings.

I'm preparing for the worse at this point tbh (though I am in the Hilton Head area and we got massive damage from Matthew last year)

Yeah, Hilton Head did not recover very well. Beaufort faired much better in that regard due to it being so much smaller.

I'm supposed to fly to Charleston Saturday, then driving to the coast on one of the islands. Is that a bad idea? Still too soon? How likely would an evacuation be?

Edit: I'll have a baby with me.

I'm supposed to fly to Charleston Saturday, then driving to the coast on one of the islands. Is that a bad idea? Still too soon? How likely would an evacuation be?

Yeah don't. My little sister goes to school in Charleston and they are dismissing everyone tomorrow for Evac. Gonna be a madhouse. Save yourself the stress.

Yeah don't. My little sister goes to school in Charleston and they are dismissing everyone tomorrow for Evac. Gonna be a madhouse. Save yourself the stress.

Damn. Supposed to be in Kiawah for the week. I'm going to keep an eye on it in case the path turns because it's still aways out but if it looks likely to be bad I guess I'll stay home.

shandy706

Myrtle is gross as hell anyway.

And over crowded. And expensive. They shooting people out on the strip this summer.

I've avoided it like the plague.

What? I'm in Cherry Grove every year. It's great. Stay away from the kids end in the South unless your in your 20s or younger. Stay safe SC. I sent my wife to get food this morning. I'm 150 miles from Wilimington, Hope it's not too bad.

The water out there looks absolutely NASTY. I stayed on the "nice" part of Myrtle for the first time in 20 years and the water had this disgusting brownish/beige foam on it on the beach.

That's not what ocean water should look like.

The GF and I only stayed there for a few days and headed up to Holden Beach (island) in NC. 1000000000x better.

JoeBoy101

I'm thinking I might stockpile a few items either tonight or tomorrow. Only in NC, but still, I don't like how the forecasts tracks keep talking about the hard right turn its going to take.

Sorithin

Correction: You WERE supposed to go there.

Looked at changing flights and going somewhere else for vacation but it looks like airlines are taking advantage of the hurricane and price gouging everyone trying to leave Florida, as much as 6x normal ticket price.

Cheddahz

Banned
Yeah, Hilton Head did not recover very well. Beaufort faired much better in that regard due to it being so much smaller.

I actually live in the Beaufort area myself (though I believe we talked about his years ago) and I still believe that Beaufort got lucky with Matthew (especially due to where the town is located). It's just crazy knowing that the town has been fine with hurricanes the past few years and of all a sudden, we're getting hit two years in a row.

A bunch of my friends that attend College of Charleston are getting told to leave either today or tomorrow. I highly recommend not flying in right now

Sobriquet

My in-laws are evacuating from Charleston on Saturday. By choice at this point, but it could end up mandatory.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
WTF are you guys talking about? Im here in Myrtle right now, been having a great time. Everything's clean, everyone is pleasant. Today has been the first day of slightly rainy weather. Only thing out of the norm is we're here apparently during "mustang week," literally thousands of the things driving around. I didnt even get ran over any doing burnouts from a show/parking lot yet.

Anyways, I'm leaving Sat. Worst I have to deal with is traffic depending on how the storm tracks.
myrtle beach... clean. lol good one.

I've been on a month-long vacation and currently in Chicago. Have a flight scheduled back to Charleston on Saturday, but yeaaaaa that is getting cancelled/rescheduled with the quickness. Just waiting for info on how bad Irma is projected to be in SC.

ExVicis

Cancel that trip. I've been around that area during regular heavy rain and it's pretty scary. I wouldn't dare try under Hurricane threat.

be safe, SC folks and to my people in florida, and texas and all over...

im in nc and last year around october we had massive flooding here....some places are still closed a year later...damn, dont want to go through this again ....

Quixzlizx

"Should I still go on my beachside vacation during a Category 4 hurricane?" is the weather equivalent of "I'm currently bleeding out of my eyeballs, what do GAF?"

"Should I still go on my beachside vacation during a Category 4 hurricane?" is the weather equivalent of "I'm currently bleeding out of my eyeballs, what do GAF?"
To be fair, this could still miss by a wide enough margin that it wouldn't be a big deal.

I'm not cancelling my flight to Charleston until Friday to see how it's tracking.

But if it still looks bad at that point I'm not an idiot. A beach vacation when it's raining for most of the week isn't worth the risk.

Dishwalla

Banned
My cousin in Orangeburg is looking at evacuating, she's still not sure. Flirting with the idea of bringing her up to Virginia, we are likely going to get some of the storm too but from the looks of it we won't get it nearly as bad as she will.

How much rain are we expecting? This hurricane doesn't appear to linger around like Harvey.

Rain or not, they are talking about a 10-15ft. storm surge. On top of how much it's rained quite a bit already the last few weeks, it's not an ideal situation. The water has essentially no place to go from the storm surge on top of whatever amount it will rain.

Top Bottom