• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Carolina declares state of emergency over Hurricane Irma

J-Rzez

myrtle beach... clean. lol good one.

Haha come on. Its not that bad. Seriously, we avoid the "young riff raff" section. But merrells inlet, and Broadway at the Beach is always great.

Gas stations are out of regular and med gas here with everyone filling up. But I only use 93 in our rides, so we good. Everyone's in good spirits as usual too.

EYEL1NER

Rain or not, they are talking about a 10-15ft. storm surge. On top of how much it's rained quite a bit already the last few weeks, it's not an ideal situation. The water has essentially no place to go from the storm surge on top of whatever amount it will rain.
Well Charleston is fucked then, with a 10-15 surge. But then again, they've been flooded to hell and back over the past couple years; there was the big storm towards the end of 2015 and then Mathew last year. Sucks for them...

I imagine we'll get some light flooding here in Sumter but there aren't too many bodies of water around outside of Swan Lake (buts it's a bummer for Swan Lake; normally it's beautiful there but I can't imagine getting hit hard by hurricanes every year is doing any good for the swan population and iris gardens). Some of the city floods when the drains block up but the worst I'll get at my parking lot is a couple inches in the parking lot, and I won't be going anywhere anyway. Last year we lost power, so hopefully that doesn't happen again, especially with how hot it is still at this time of year. Probably a lot of limbs will come down too, but maybe last year stripped a lot of trees of the bigger limbs that are likely to get blown off? Or maybe it weakened the ones that didn't blow off to the point that they'll easily come down this time. I drove to Columbia as soon as Mathew started dying down and our power came back because there was a tabletop minis game scheduled that I wanted to participate in (ain't no hurricane gonna stop me from playing X-Wing) and I had to navigate around a ton of huge limbs on 378 (especially that stretch before the three bridges between 261 and 601). Took a while to get shipments of fresh food at the grocery stores though, but that makes sense when so many areas up and down the coast are hit hard and need supplies.
I'm hoping Florence doesn't get it too bad. They've been doing a lot of work up there to fix the roads (some that were bad off before the storms and some that the storms took out) and beautiful the city further than it already is.

I just got pics sent to me of the Sumter Walmart and shelves have been cleared of bread and water already.

Downhome

I live in the upstate and they are saying that even we will likely get a ton of rain and up to 75 mph winds if it stays on track. Crazy.

Well Charleston is fucked then, with a 10-15 surge. But then again, they've been flooded to hell and back over the past couple years; there was the big storm towards the end of 2015 and then Mathew last year. Sucks for them...

I imagine we'll get some light flooding here in Sumter but there aren't too many bodies of water around outside of Swan Lake (buts it's a bummer for Swan Lake; normally it's beautiful there but I can't imagine getting hit hard by hurricanes every year is doing any good for the swan population and iris gardens). Some of the city floods when the drains block up but the worst I'll get at my parking lot is a couple inches in the parking lot, and I won't be going anywhere anyway. Last year we lost power, so hopefully that doesn't happen again, especially with how hot it is still at this time of year. Probably a lot of limbs will come down too, but maybe last year stripped a lot of trees of the bigger limbs that are likely to get blown off? Or maybe it weakened the ones that didn't blow off to the point that they'll easily come down this time. I drove to Columbia as soon as Mathew started dying down and our power came back because there was a tabletop minis game scheduled that I wanted to participate in (ain't no hurricane gonna stop me from playing X-Wing) and I had to navigate around a ton of huge limbs on 378 (especially that stretch before the three bridges between 261 and 601). Took a while to get shipments of fresh food at the grocery stores though, but that makes sense when so many areas up and down the coast are hit hard and need supplies.
I'm hoping Florence doesn't get it too bad. They've been doing a lot of work up there to fix the roads (some that were bad off before the storms and some that the storms took out) and beautiful the city further than it already is.

I just got pics sent to me of the Sumter Walmart and shelves have been cleared of bread and water already.

I live close to Swan Lake. Shit floods heavily but my house is high enough the 1,000 year flood didn't reach. I won't be able to leave as long as the water sits though.

And yeah, we got our bread, water, and food the other day.

Slayven

They just announced the local schools will be closed next week so they can be used as shelters for savannah and North carolina

EYEL1NER

I live close to Swan Lake. Shit floods heavily but my house is high enough the 1,000 year flood didn't reach. I won't be able to leave as long as the water sits though.

And yeah, we got our bread, water, and food the other day.
It sucks for the lake. We went in like August of last year maybe, some time around then, to take some pregnancy photos. It seemed like they still hadn't recovered fully from last year.
Not being able to leave because of the waters is no good. I had to go out last year and just drive around with my AC on, no real destination in mind, after sweating in the apartment with no power.

Maybe it won't be so bad for us though. There'll be a lot of wind and rain of course but I've seen a few claims so far that it won't be any worse than Mathew or the storms two years ago since both of those involved the storms stalling over the state for an extended amount of time and that probably won't happen again.

EYEL1NER

I was in Florence, SC earlier doing some shopping and drove back to Sumter via I-95 around 10PM. It was definitely an odd feeling to be one of the only cars on the road heading south but see steady traffic heading northbound. It wasn't bumper-to-bumer stop-go traffic like it is on some Florida highways right now but it was definitely heavy traffic for the entire half hour I was on the road. I pretty quickly realized "Oh, that's probably people from Hilton Head, Savannah, and more heading north." The rest stop just north of the 378 exit (heading northbound) was jammed packed, with people pulled over sleeping at the entrance to the rest stop even. I just drove the 5 hours it takes to get to Jacksonville and back last Sunday and it's an easy drive to be sure, mainly it's just "continue south/north on I-95" from the GPS for over four hours, but I can only imagine how shitty it must be for people making that drive now, spending that much time in traffic, with gas prices still high from Harvey.

When I got on 378/Myrtle Beach Highway and drove that for half an hour west, there was a noticeable increase in nighttime traffic heading westbound, which I can only assume was Myrtle Beach traffic, people fleeing there. Of course you can't take any chances and Myrtle Beach is a big threat area being right on the ocean but it's crazy to think so many are heading west from there and now the storm is tracking so far west that those people might still wind up getting hammered by it wherever they wind up while Myrtle Beach could come through this unscathed.

Got the call earlier that Sumter schools will be closed on Monday. My daughter was super-excited but then I reminded her how many days the schools were without power last year for Mathew, and then how many days school remained cancelled because so many students were still without power and didn't have clean clothes or access to showers or whatever, and then of how many formerly school-free days that they had to actually go in for to make up for the storm. I was like "This isn't gonna be a holiday."

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
My sister lives in SC and my parents are both visiting this weekend. They're supposed to come home tomorrow night.

They live near Charleston. (Used to live in Charleston.) About 10-20 minutes west now. Just moved a month and a half ago.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I am wondering when my business trip to myrtle beach is going to be cancelled... I am guessing I go into work on Monday and they say, "forget about it."

Top Bottom