• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blonde Tyene is one of those things that always seemed like it would've looked silly on screen to me. Kinda glad they dropped it. Same thing as like the slavers in Meereen having crazy anime hair, or the random exposed boobs in Qarth. I'm glad they didn't touch on those.

This one they should have kept.

They've said this season is "mostly" spoiler free. We know that Arya has some Winds content from her Winds preview chapter, and at least one character who's not dead yet in the books is dying this season, because they're cutting all of his/her future content. I don't think they would've said mostly spoiler free if they were going to do anything too crazy in terms of killing off major characters or revealing twists, but there's really no way to be sure until we're in those last few episodes.

Blonde Tyene is one of those things that always seemed like it would've looked silly on screen to me. Kinda glad they dropped it. Same thing as like the slavers in Meereen having crazy anime hair, or the random exposed boobs in Qarth. I'm glad they didn't touch on those.

Got it. So, aside from possible minor TWOW spoilers, we're looking at, what, AFFC and ADWD with substantial source material deviations?

That's good to know, honestly. I feel like a lot of S5 spoilers have been flying around, and it's hard to tell whether they're real or just rumors. Since I don't want to look at them, it's also hard to tell whether we're diving headfirst into TWOW material or just seeing deviations from AFFC and ADWD.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
They've said this season is "mostly" spoiler free. We know that Arya has some Winds content from her Winds preview chapter, and at least one character who's not dead yet in the books is dying this season, because they're cutting all of his/her future content. I don't think they would've said mostly spoiler free if they were going to do anything too crazy in terms of killing off major characters or revealing twists, but there's really no way to be sure until we're in those last few episodes.

Did they actually say they're killing off someone early, or that they're just killing off someone who hasn't died in the books so far? Haven't really followed the media that closely but that's a significant difference.

bengraven

Wall of Shame for the interim thread:

HaWg0aJ.jpg

a6yiAtK.gif

Look at all the losers
above me
!

Massa

I can't, it was outlawed by the Lord of Light
Cornballer
in the last thread.

Even if I could, I probably wouldn't anyway on principle. The person(s) who spoiled the episodes broke screener privilege.

Wow, so that's happening in the first 4 episodes? :eek:

KingK

Just saw this.

There is definitely death of a character this season
who has chapters in the books and hasn't died yet in them
. The actor was quite upset with D&D upon learning this, as he/she had read the books and was very excited about where his/her storyline would go. The leaked episode summaries going around are correct on who it is.

There have been major changes to both Jaime's and Sansa's arcs. I wouldn't worry about anything being spoiled on Jaime's side, but what's happening with Sansa is a different story. While her main arc is completely different than the rest of her material in Feast and Dance (and the recent Winds chapter), who knows if what happens this season is going to happen in some shape or form further down the line in the books?

The only other major change is towards the end of Jon's storyline this season, which, to be honest, if you don't like... YOU'RE WRONG!

Otherwise there'll be the usual streamlining of events (Tyrion, Dorne) and minor changes, along with no Iron Islands or Bran.
Thanks, this is what i wanted to know.

I have never understood the Stannis love.
The man is a power hungry loveless asshole imo.

Loveless? Definitely not. He loves his daughter more than everything, for as little love he bore for his brothers, or he bears for his wife.
Power-hungry? Maybe, a bit. But for the most part, he's a man who has very strong beliefs in justice and the right course of action. He does not see power shifting to somebody else as just. He thinks that he has to take the throne.

What's more, unlike every other player for the throne(s) of Westeros, he is the only, and I do mean the sole, King who actually cares about what's happening beyond the Wall. He has realized that instead of backstabbing and fighting among each other, a true king has to protect his realm. And that's what he's doing. He went to the Wall because nobody else would. He pledged his troops and resources to Westeros, not himself, and to free the people of the North of this Lannister-installed dickwad that, among the Northerners, nobody even likes.
He knows that if the Others break through the Wall, it's all over, and it won't matter which ass sits on the Iron Throne.

Kain

The man has nothing going for him, its going to be funny when Melisandre eventually turns her back on him.

Book Stannis is awesome and he deserves to win something sometime, if only because he is the underdog.

Show Stannis would crumble if Mel leaves him, Book Stannis would shrug and say good riddance.

All hail the Mannis!

Violater

Loveless? Definitely not. He loves his daughter more than everything, for as little love he bore for his brothers, or he bears for his wife.
Power-hungry? Maybe, a bit. But for the most part, he's a man who has very strong beliefs in justice and the right course of action. He does not see power shifting to somebody else as just. He thinks that he has to take the throne.

What's more, unlike every other player for the throne(s) of Westeros, he is the only, and I do mean the sole, King who actually cares about what's happening beyond the Wall. He has realized that instead of backstabbing and fighting among each other, a true king has to protect his realm. And that's what he's doing. He went to the Wall because nobody else would. He pledged his troops and resources to Westeros, not himself, and to free the people of the North of this Lannister-installed dickwad that, among the Northerners, nobody even likes.
He knows that if the Others break through the Wall, it's all over, and it won't matter which ass sits on the Iron Throne.

I believe it to be pride more than love, I have never heard him refer to her affectionately, hell Davos is more of a father to her.
Cares about what's happening beyond the wall you say?
Stannis see's the protection of the wall as a means to gain favor among the north-men, much as he keeps trying to sway Jon to his side.
I will agree he has more claim to the throne than the Lannisters, as for me at this point it hardly matters who sits on the throne they are going to do a horrible job.

I believe it to be pride more than love, I have never heard him refer to her affectionately, hell Davos is more of a father to her.
Cares about what's happening beyond the wall you say?
Stannis see's the protection of the wall as a means to gain favor among the north-men, much as he keeps trying to sway Jon to his side.
I will agree he has more claim to the throne than the Lannisters, as for me at this point it hardly matters who sits on the throne they are going to do a horrible job.

You don't seem to understand that for some people, the concept of love, and emotions in general, works differently. For Stannis, emotions are extremely hard to display. He bottles them up and he has trouble showing them because of that. He doesn't treat Shireen affectionately because he simply can't. But if you see how he treats her, and how he talks about her, in comparison to others, you know that he loves her. They even made a point of that in the show with that scene of him, Melisandre and Selyse, when he forbids his wife to strike his daughter. A man who is known for justice and proper punishment forbids his own wife to physically punish his child - something that was incredibly common back in the day. Heck we even see Tyrion strike the prince, his nephew, for being a brat.

And to him, taking the Iron Throne is not only his duty as the claimant, but he also sees it as a duty to Shireen. It's his way of showing her his affection - he fights not for his own desires. He fights for what he believes is right, and to secure the future of his daughter.

And yes, he does see the protection of the Wall and ending the governance of the North by the Boltons as a means to get the support of the Northerners. But he acquires this support properly. He tries to gain the trust of these people, to have them support him as their lawful ruler, and believe in his capability to be a king.
He also is seeking out Jon, as the last Stark child he knows of being alive and free, and wants to form a bond of friendship with him. That's why he's offering Jon the legitimization and Winterfell; he wants Jon as his friend and ally in the North, much like Robert had Eddard, which he saw how powerful it was.

So, yes, of course Stannis is doing this in order to secure the throne, but he's doing it by gaining the support of the people of the realm, as opposed to thumping on his birth right like he did before - he realized that won't work. And he's not doing it through wealth or the display of power either. He's doing it by protecting the people he one day wants to rule over. Do you not believe that this is an admirable way of gaining support and get legitimized as the rightful king?

Violater

You don't seem to understand that for some people, the concept of love, and emotions in general, works differently. For Stannis, emotions are extremely hard to display. He bottles them up and he has trouble showing them because of that. He doesn't treat Shireen affectionately because he simply can't. But if you see how he treats her, and how he talks about her, you know that he loves her. They even made a point of that in the show with that scene of him, Melisandre and Selyse, when he forbids his wife to strike his daughter. A man who is known for justice and proper punishment forbids his own wife to physically punish his child - something that was incredibly common back in the day. Heck we even see Tyrion strike the prince, his nephew, for being a brat.

And to him, taking the Iron Throne is not only his duty as the claimant, but he also sees it as a duty to Shireen. It's his way of showing her his affection - he fights not for his own desires. He fights for what he believes is right, and to secure the future of his daughter.

And yes, he does see the protection of the Wall and ending the governance of the North by the Boltons as a means to get the support of the Northerners. But he acquires this support properly. He tries to gain the trust of these people, to have them support him as their lawful ruler, and believe in his capability to be a king.
He also is seeking out Jon, as the last Stark child he knows of being alive and free, and wants to form a bond of friendship with him. That's why he's offering Jon the legitimization and Winterfell; he wants Jon as his friend and ally in the North, much like Robert had Eddard, which he saw how powerful it was.

So, yes, of course Stannis is doing this in order to secure the throne, but he's doing it by gaining the support of the people of the realm, as opposed to thumping on his birth right like he did before - he realized that won't work. And he's not doing it through wealth or the display of power either. He's doing it by protecting the people he one day wants to rule over. Do you not believe that this is an admirable way of gaining support and get legitimized as the rightful king?

Doesn't want his "wife" to strike his Daughter because deep down he knows his wife is crazy and his daughter has really done no wrong.
I will concede he loves his daughter in his own way.

As for Jon, Stannis would kill Jon if it ever served him some purpose to do so.
Stannis will kill anyone and do anything to gain the throne but he will never sit the iron throne.

I don't know what you're referring to, but yes, I imagine that things will happen in the first four episodes.

He was referring to the supposed death that was leaked. Reasoning being that the leaker broke screener privilege and the screeners contained the first 4 eps, as opposed to someone who knows everything happening throughout the whole season.

I have never understood the Stannis love.
The man is a power hungry loveless asshole imo.

How dare you blaspheme to the one true king of westeros. You will hold your tongue or lose it, unbeliever.

In commemorating this thread, Our King Stannis just looking dashing :3

jbovMbU.gif

GHdynPv.gif

3G02fKC.gif

Violater

Davos is Stannis' heart and soul, without the Onion Knight lots of people would be burning. If only Melly would go away. As for Dany though, I'm not sure

Davos certainly is the only voice of reason in that madhouse.
As for the Daney part that was just in jest.
gross

That's a pretty low bar to pass. I'm pretty sure even Stannis manages it.

Definitely. If we were discussing ACOK era Stannis sure, I'd agree he'd be a horrible ruler. But by the end of ADWD he is a quite impressive leader, and the best candidate for the throne. The compromises he makes with the northern lords/army...he'd never do that in ACOK, or even in the early portion of ASOS. And most importantly, he recognizes the true threat to the realm. Now to be fair we don't know how Dany would react to the threat, or if she'd essentially withdraw from the Iron Throne war to address it.

Meanwhile Dany has gotten worse as a ruler. She refuses good council, is not decisive, ignores information she doesn't like, etc etc. Basically...a lot of the stuff Stannis did in ACOK/ASOS.

In short Stannis is the best. And I think he's about to pull off one of the most impressive military victories we've seen since the start of the war.

Massa

You guy's know its the truth, Stannis is no more suited to be ruler than Daney is.

You don't have to cheer for him to get the throne to like Stannis. I like him because he's an interesting character, and what makes him interesting is his sense of duty and justice in face of all the situations he's been put in (even before Robert was king).

Not to mention he's the funniest guy in Westeros.

foxtrot3d

Banned
You don't seem to understand that for some people, the concept of love, and emotions in general, works differently. For Stannis, emotions are extremely hard to display. He bottles them up and he has trouble showing them because of that. He doesn't treat Shireen affectionately because he simply can't. But if you see how he treats her, and how he talks about her, in comparison to others, you know that he loves her...

I think it's important to understand where Stannis is coming from, how he grew up. Stannis is basically like the Batman of the ASOIF universe. To start with he witnessed his parents die in front of his eyes off the coast of Storm's End not long after Robert presumably became Lord of Storm's End. Now, Robert was always an asshole which was further frustrated by his natural talent at pretty much everything. Stannis had to stand around and watch his brother achieve everything which might not have been so bad if he hadn't been such a massive dick about it to Stannis. And yet, Stannis did nothing but treat his brother with respect.

I believe the death of his parents, which proved to him there were Gods watching over everyone and judging them justly, coupled with Robert's continued debauchery made Stannis develop a sense for true justice. If the Gods would not bring justice to the world then it was up to men (or him) to do it. After Robert's death following his terrible rule and the realization that his children were all bastards Stannis saw this as his opportunity or calling to finally bring true justice to the realm. And, much like Batman his childhood trauma and upbringing makes it hard for him to display emotions especially in relation with women and children.

Batman, like Stannis, always treats his associates in his personal life with a certain coldness. He never can really display the full emotions of a father to say Robin and he can never allow himself to be truly happy with a women, probably because he feels he doesn't deserve it, that he has a duty to justice which comes first. Stannis operates the same way. He has emotions, he loves his daughter, he loves Davos but he just can't display those emotions in the same way as a normal person would.

In fact, one of my favorite Stannis scenes is when he's about to execute Davos. Here, Davos has just admitted to betraying him and sending away Edric Storm. When Stannis hears this he unsheathes Lightbringer. But, the description here is just wonderful and speaks volumes about Stannis' state of mind without actually saying much. If you pay attention you see how tired Stannis is, how coolly he brings out the sword and examines it. Stannis is just really broken up at this point, he's on the losing end of the war, he's constantly facing betrayal from some of his closest family members, and he's told that in order to save the realm he has to burn an innocent boy. And, now Davos comes to inform him that he too has betrayed Stannis. Now, Stannis has lost pretty much everyone and knows that by law Davos must die, but he doesn't want to do it. When Davos shows him his "paper shield" you can bet he was relieved beyond count but probably never showed it outwardly.

TL;DR Stannis is Batman. Davos is probably Alfred

bengraven

Last time I checked, I was higher, but that was quite some time ago. I haven't seen WhereAreMahDragonz posting as much though so I am surprised by that.

I'm actually shocked at how high I posted. I really only post every few days. Then again, that adds up over an off-season.

I'm not nearly as active on GOT GAF period because of the long long wait for Winds and I think I've talked the theories up enough to last a lifetime.

Then Winds will come out and you fuckers will want me to shut up. :p

Bengraven
PS: Daario is Euron, Varys is a Blackfyre, Tyrion is a Targ, Melisandre is carrying my shadow baby

Real Hero

‘Lord Seaworth is a man of humble birth, but he reminded me of my duty, when all I could think of was my rights. I had the cart before the horse, Davos said. I was trying to win the throne to save the kingdom, when I should have been trying to save the kingdom to win the throne.’

"'Then rise again, Davos Seaworth, and rise as Lord of the Rainwood, Admiral of the Narrow Sea, and Hand of the King.'
For a moment Davos was too stunned to move. I woke this morning in his dungeon. 'Your Grace, you cannot I am not fit man to be a King's Hand.'
'There is no man fitter.' Stannis sheathed Lightbringer, gave Davos his hand, and pulled him to his feet.
'I am lowborn,' Davos reminded him. 'An up jumped smuggler. your lords will never obey me.'
'Then we will make new lords.'"

Stannis is literally the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom