• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kain

TL;DR Stannis is Batman. Davos is probably Alfred

I like you.

Stannis and Davos are just the best buddies with Tyrion and Bronn. And we know Davos will never abandon Stannis, so theirs is the best bromance. Now we only need that they fight together in some battle and them to start shooting one liners and the books will peak in awesomeness.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I'm actually shocked at how high I posted. I really only post every few days. Then again, that adds up over an off-season.

I'm not nearly as active on GOT GAF period because of the long long wait for Winds and I think I've talked the theories up enough to last a lifetime.

Then Winds will come out and you fuckers will want me to shut up. :p

Bengraven
PS: Daario is Euron, Varys is a Blackfyre, Tyrion is a Targ, Melisandre is carrying my shadow baby

That's mainly why I stopped too haha. I probably will start being more talkative when the episodes come out....so Sunday =p

Patriots7

And yes, he does see the protection of the Wall and ending the governance of the North by the Boltons as a means to get the support of the Northerners. But he acquires this support properly. He tries to gain the trust of these people, to have them support him as their lawful ruler, and believe in his capability to be a king.
He also is seeking out Jon, as the last Stark child he knows of being alive and free, and wants to form a bond of friendship with him. That's why he's offering Jon the legitimization and Winterfell; he wants Jon as his friend and ally in the North, much like Robert had Eddard, which he saw how powerful it was.

So, yes, of course Stannis is doing this in order to secure the throne, but he's doing it by gaining the support of the people of the realm, as opposed to thumping on his birth right like he did before - he realized that won't work. And he's not doing it through wealth or the display of power either. He's doing it by protecting the people he one day wants to rule over. Do you not believe that this is an admirable way of gaining support and get legitimized as the rightful king?
Mr. "I deserve the throne by right" has the audacity to say that he would never let Sansa (or has he put it, "Lady Lannister") inherit Winterfell, despite being the rightful heir (as far as the world knows).

Young Griff is the King that we deserve.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Mr. "I deserve the throne by right" has the audacity to say that he would never let Sansa (or has he put it, "Lady Lannister") inherit Winterfell, despite being the rightful heir (as far as the world knows).

Young Griff is the King that we deserve.

Correct. The throne was stolen to begin with by the usurper Robert Baratheon.

http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/features/game-of-thrones-creators-on-season-5-were-building-to-a-crescendo-20150407

Is the endgame still seven seasons and that's it?
Benioff: We've always said that, but we have to talk to HBO and come to an understanding. There's a temptation to keep going with it because we're still having fun, but you don't want to ruin it by tacking on a couple of extra years.

Weiss: The big thing is, this is a show with a beginning, a middle and an end. We know what the end is, and we're heading toward it now.

Benioff: We're not sure whether it's going to end up being, say, 70 or 75 hours — but it can't be 100 hours. It would start to feel like a bogged-down mess.

HBO wanting to continue Game of Thrones is understandable, and the solution is obvious
split season 7 into two parts and once that's finished
launch a spinoff/prequel series... focusing on Robert's rebellion, or Aegon's conquest, or one of the Blackfyre rebellions, or the Dance of Dragons, or a multi-camera sitcom taking place in Ulthos... the possibilities are endless!! Assuming they have necessary rights from GRRM, of course.

HBO wanting to continue Game of Thrones is understandable, and the solution is obvious
split season 7 into two parts and once that's finished
launch a spinoff/prequel series... focusing on Robert's rebellion, or Aegon's conquest, or one of the Blackfyre rebellions, or the Dance of Dragons, or a multi-camera sitcom taking place in Ulthos... the possibilities are endless!! Assuming they have necessary rights from GRRM, of course.

DUNK AND EGG MINI-SERIES

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!

Kain

A prequel season would just too good, they'll never make it: Rhaegar, Ned, Robert, Jon Arryn, Tywin, Jon Con, Howland Reed, Brandon, Jaime, Oberyn should be around too (even if he doesn't do much)... so much win in there, it's impossible to cast that. Impossible I say.

greatgeek

Banned
A prequel season would just too good, they'll never make it: Rhaegar, Ned, Robert, Jon Arryn, Tywin, Jon Con, Howland Reed, Brandon, Jaime, Oberyn should be around too (even if he doesn't do much)... so much win in there, it's impossible to cast that. Impossible I say.
Nina fucking Gold.

foxtrot3d

Banned
DUNK AND EGG MINI-SERIES

Yeah, I want Dunk and Egg far more than Robert's Rebellion or perhaps The Dace of the Dragons. RR is pretty much covered and doesn't seem nearly as interesting as Dance or D&E. If they did a prequel series focusing on The Dance you could have an entire season or two just covering The Rogue Prince leading up to the war.

Iksenpets

Banned
Yeah, I want Dunk and Egg far more than Robert's Rebellion or perhaps The Dace of the Dragons. RR is pretty much covered and doesn't seem nearly as interesting as Dance or D&E. If they did a prequel series focusing on The Dance you could have an entire season or two just covering The Rogue Prince leading up to the war.

I could almost see Dunk and Egg converted as very short British-style miniseries. Maybe something like Sherlock. Each novella released as an hour and a half to two hour "episode", three to a season. Season one could be the three currently existing, and the. A future season for any later ones.

Why would anyone want Robert's Rebellion? It would rely almost entirely on new dialogue/show specific content, the battles wouldn't be shown on camera in most cases, etc...I'd rather have an animated short version, showing battles and some of the major specific events.

Dunk & Egg wouldn't be sexy enough for HBO imo.

Brakke

Banned
Every morning I wake up and think to myself
man, I should really get into WWE wresting seems pretty fascinating; then I think
I oughta pick up those Dunk & Egg stories some time. But then every time I go looking for them, I remember they're going to be released all collected up eventually and then cool my jets waiting for that.

bengraven

Why would anyone want Robert's Rebellion? It would rely almost entirely on new dialogue/show specific content, the battles wouldn't be shown on camera in most cases, etc...I'd rather have an animated short version, showing battles and some of the major specific events.

Dunk has a female interest in at least two of the three stories. It just means that instead of being shy and getting cuckolded by old dudes that he's going to have to get down.

RedShift

Just wait for the inevitable hot Dunk on Old Nan action in the next one.

NeoGiff

Seven hells, this thread s moving quickly. The hype is real!

Add my vote to the Dunk and Egg miniseries. I've actually been rewatching all four seasons over the last few weeks, and something struck me at the start of season 3.

If a D&E miniseries was to be made, I'd love for it to have the slightly whimsical tone of the scene when Arya and co. encounter the Brotherhood for the first time. It's very lighthearted and playful, while still grounded and rough.

Seven hells, this thread s moving quickly. The hype is real!

Add my vote to the Dunk and Egg miniseries. I've actually been rewatching all four seasons over the last few weeks, and something struck me at the start of season 3.

If a D&E miniseries was to be made, I'd love for it to have the slightly whimsical tone of the scene when Arya and co. encounter the Brotherhood for the first time. It's very lighthearted and playful, while still grounded and rough.

I'm also (very foolishly) trying to re-watch before the season starts and I'd kind of forgotten how much I liked their adaption of the Brotherhood. Beric and Thoros (especially Thoros) really jumped off the screen for me in a way they didn't in the book.

Iksenpets

Banned
I'm also (very foolishly) trying to re-watch before the season starts and I'd kind of forgotten how much I liked their adaption of the Brotherhood. Beric and Thoros (especially Thoros) really jumped off the screen for me in a way they didn't in the book.

It'll really be a pity if they've had to drop that storyline, given that we have no evidence of it being in for this season. It was definitely one of the strong groups of side characters they had. I hope they still have plans for it in season 6.

I know that it was probably the RL inspiration for the Brotherhood, and probably also for particularly the scene in the show, but I was super heavily reminded of Robin Hood and his Merry Men when that happened.

NeoGiff

I was going quite well and then Bloodborne came out and messed everything up. I'm only up to Ep. 308 now. There's no chance I'll finish it all before Sunday/Monday. I love Paul Kaye as Thoros, he's great.

I know that it was probably the RL inspiration for the Brotherhood, and probably also for particularly the scene in the show, but I was super heavily reminded of Robin Hood and his Merry Men when that happened.

As was I. I also love the little musical cue that accompanies them, which wasn't on the soundtrack. That has happened a few times now - noticeable little motifs aren't part of the soundtrack at all. Off the top of my head, there's that Brotherhood intro one, the Winterfell theme in the pilot as the "Winterfell" text appears on screen, and the subtle guitar when Oberyn is introduced in Littlefinger's brothel.

On the topic of the score, I still think the first season's far surpasses the others. Everything on it feels so organic and a little rough around the edges, which is perfect. A lot of what Djawadi does now, while still amazing musically, is very refined and a lot more safe. With that said, however, my favourite theme overall is Warrior of Light.

joliefaire

Neo Member
It'll really be a pity if they've had to drop that storyline, given that we have no evidence of it being in for this season. It was definitely one of the strong groups of side characters they had. I hope they still have plans for it in season 6.

With my pal Blackfish as its leader, I hope. The Starks and Tullys send their regards!

As was I. I also love the little musical cue that accompanies them, which wasn't on the soundtrack. That has happened a few times now - noticeable little motifs aren't part of the soundtrack at all. Off the top of my head, there's that Brotherhood intro one, the Winterfell theme in the pilot as the "Winterfell" text appears on screen, and the subtle guitar when Oberyn is introduced in Littlefinger's brothel.

On the topic of the score, I still think the first season's far surpasses the others. Everything on it feels so organic and a little rough around the edges, which is perfect. A lot of what Djawadi does now, while still amazing musically, is very refined and a lot more safe. With that said, however, my favourite theme overall is Warrior of Light.

The soundtrack is great. I like that the different factions/characters have their own 'theme', such as the Raynes of Castamere for the Lannisters, and their many variations - from quiet to angry. My favorite is the ominous tune that plays during the Stannis scenes. The base melody is only 4 notes, but it's so eerie still. And Robert's is very memorable. I still have it in the back of my head.

The song played during the "chaohs is a laddah" scene also was realllllly godlike. Loved it.

As for Oberyn's guitar cue... hopefully it's gonna be on this season's soundtrack, since that one's gonna have a lot of Dorne.

Iksenpets

Banned
With my pal Blackfish as its leader, I hope. The Starks and Tullys send their regards!

Honestly I hope they go all out. Thoros, Blackfish, and still-alive Beric all together and being generally roguish and cool. Except Beric has to be going kind of nuts from the resurrections, and Blackfish needs to be in crazy violent revenge mode so that together they kind of fill a Stoneheart-shaped hole. Then Thoros can be increasingly skeptical of the whole thing as those two are driving it darker and darker, and then you really have the tone of the books matched pretty well.

One of the things that's bugged me in the books is how anticlimactically Beric is killed off off-screen. If sacrificing Stoneheart could get us a more nuanced Beric story, looking at his descent into madness, and how that brings him from noble outlaw to murderous vigilante, if be all for it.

joliefaire

Neo Member
Honestly I hope they go all out. Thoros, Blackfish, and still-alive Beric all together and being generally roguish and cool. Except Beric has to be going kind of nuts from the resurrections, and Blackfish needs to be in crazy violent revenge mode so that together they kind of fill a Stoneheart-shaped hole. Then Thoros can be increasingly skeptical of the whole thing as those two are driving it darker and darker, and then you really have the tone of the books matched pretty well.

One of the things that's bugged me in the books is how anticlimactically Beric is killed off off-screen. If sacrificing Stoneheart could get us a more nuanced Beric story, looking at his descent into madness, and how that brings him from noble outlaw to murderous vigilante, if be all for it.

This. Exactly. And Clive Russell is so perfect in the part, SO perfect. That scene with poor Edmure-Can't-Shoot-Straight made me laugh and feel embarrassed at the same time. Blackfish does not coddle fools and softies. Shape up or ship out--get the fucking job done, already, or stand aside and I'll do it! .#MakeItHappen

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I'm not sure of a D&E spinoff...but I haven't read them tbh, so at the moment I am in the Robert's Rebellion Camp.

I'd be cool with D&E, but I think Robert's Rebellion will be mostly covered by the SoIaF stuff anyway.

No, what I want is The Rogue Prince and The Princess and the Queen, i.e. the Dance of the Dragons and the events leading up to it.

joliefaire

Neo Member
I'm not sure of a D&E spinoff...but I haven't read them tbh, so at the moment I am in the Robert's Rebellion Camp.

Me, too. I want to see Rhaegar, hear him, take in who and what he really was in his own life, his own time. I've read the D&E stories and TBH, I got bored, didn't even finish. Unpopular opinion, I know, but there it is. HBO, bring Rhaegar to life for me and I'm yours for eternity.

I think one of the reasons why I wouldn't want Robert's Rebellion being brought to life is because of how mystified everything is.

I don't want Rhaegar, Aerys, Arthur Dayne, etc. get a face or a voice. They should remain memories, and be portrayed as such. Everyone who was involved with these characters remembers them differently, and you get very unique portrayals depending on whom you ask.

That's what makes them so special. We hear so much about their legacy, and how their actions started the ball rolling with the events we've been reading about, but we never see them. We never hear them. We don't know how they move, behave, talk, think. What their plans and motives truly were.

I do want to find out what exactly happened during the rebellion. But I want to know it through means other than shattering this veil of mythology and mystery around these long dead characters.

Call me weird, but I just feel like making a spin-off show or even have GRRM write a prequel to AGoT would be a disservice to the SoIaF series. It would smash the romanticism about it.

Dammit George, where's my Howland Reed.

I think one of the reasons why I wouldn't want Robert's Rebellion being brought to life is because of how mystified everything is.

I don't want Rhaegar, Aerys, Arthur Dayne, etc. get a face or a voice. They should remain memories, and be portrayed as such. Everyone who was involved with these characters remembers them differently, and you get very unique portrayals depending on whom you ask.

That's what makes them so special. We hear so much about their legacy, and how their actions started the ball rolling with the events we've been reading about, but we never see them. We never hear them. We don't know how they move, behave, talk, think. What their plans and motives truly were.

I do want to find out what exactly happened during the rebellion. But I want to know it through means other than shattering this veil of mythology and mystery around these long dead characters.

Call me weird, but I just feel like making a spin-off show or even have GRRM write a prequel to AGoT would be a disservice to the SoIaF series. It would smash the romanticism about it.

Dammit George, where's my Howland Reed.

Season 6 bro.

TL;DR Stannis is Batman. Davos is probably Alfred[/B]

Arya is closer to Batman than Stannis.She's present when both parents died and has bumbed around the world anonymously in the company of various outlaws and scumbags before joining a group of super assassins for training.

Arya is closer to Batman than Stannis.She's present when both parents died and has bumbed around the world anonymously in the company of various outlaws and scumbags before joining a group of super assassins for training.

Arya seems like 90's Frank Miller version of Ezio from Assassin's Creed to be honest
Or simply Frank Miller Batman, imagine her screaming, "THIS IS AN OPERATING TABLE! AND I'M THE SURGEON!"

Cassandra Cain would be an even more apt comparison since both don't mind killing

Wasn't Stannis (and everyone at Storm's End) present when Stannis' parents ship sunk just off the coast?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom