• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gigglepoo

That's exactly it. He has a death wish. He just wants all of the fighting to be over.

It's one of the things they clearly intended but it came across as "Jon's a mute who lets Sansa do all his talking for him."

So he traveled all the way to Bear Island even though he was in a massive hurry to die? You might be right in saying Jon wanted to die but the show didn't portray him in a consistent enough way for that to come through.

Is there a scene I missed where House Cerwyn agrees to it?

I have no idea if House Cerwyn accepted or declined the call but I do know they were at Winterfell soon after the battle (because Sansa/Littlefinger were talking, Jon/Sansa were talking, and Mel/Davos/Jon were talking, conversations that would come soon after the fighting ended). They must have left before the battle started to get there in time (if the show isn't cheating with time) or else they only came after the battle and should therefore never be trusted. The show doesn't answer any of these questions we just have to guess.

Turin

Banned
Jon did become somewhat nebulous once you got past episode 4. Hopefully they'll take some time to flesh out post NW Jon.

dubq

The Cerwyns and Manderlays did make it to Winterfell. They answered the call but Jon rushed into the fight so quickly they didn't have time to make the trek up there in time.

They straight up said in the finale that neither house answered the call. Manderly specifically said he didn't answer the call as he didn't want more of his family to "die for nothing." They made it to Winterfell after the battle was won and when it was safe.

Gigglepoo

They straight up said in the finale that neither house answered the call. Manderly specifically said he didn't answer the call as he didn't want more of his family to "die for nothing." They made it to Winterfell after the battle was won and when it was safe.

I know what they said afterward, I'm just explaining what happened beforehand. House Cerwyn wasn't contacted but they were still reprimanded. The Northern Houses were present at Winterfell soon after the battle ended. I know what the show is saying (No one cared a lick about Jon or Sansa) but that's not actually what happened.

Again, these are small shortcuts and hand waves that don't destroy the story they're telling, but it does show how they struggle to be cohesive. I didn't expect people to defend this scene so fiercely considering how obvious it was the script was wrong in what happened with House Cerwyn. Jon didn't want to take the time to recruit them because he was in a hurry but they were still reprimanded by Lady Mormont.

I know what they said afterward, I'm just explaining what happened beforehand. House Cerwyn wasn't contacted but they were still reprimanded. The Northern Houses were present at Winterfell soon after the battle ended. I know what the show is saying (No one cared a lick about Jon or Sansa) but that's not actually what happened.

Again, these are small shortcuts and hand waves that don't destroy the story they're telling, but it does show how they struggle to be cohesive. I didn't expect people to defend this scene so fiercely considering how obvious it was the script was wrong in what happened with House Cerwyn. Jon didn't want to take the time to recruit them because he was in a hurry but they were still reprimanded by Lady Mormont.

As I understood it they sent Ravens to those houses and those houses didn't answer back or told them no

Black_Sun

I wouldn't mind a cersei/euron combo but for the love of god no dragon horns. Still think that's the dumbest thing.

I don't see that though. Knowing this show's pacing, they will be on land in the premier.

I think it makes some that the dragon lords used to use magic horns to bind their and other people's dragons to them.

Plus there being no dragon horn pretty much nulls most of the advantage of having Euron on Cersei's side would do.

Euron should be equalizing the sides. Dany's dragons are too OP. There needs to be another dragon and dragon rider on the other side to even the odds

dubq

When did they say that Cerwyn wasn't contacted? Did I miss that part?

dubq

Sansa, "If we went down to Castle Cerwyn I know that Lord Cerwyn would..."

Jon, "We fight with army we have."

Unless they mentioned something else that I forgot.

Right but it's already been implied that they sent Raven's to these houses and they either have refused or just ignored their call.

Sean C

They sent ravens to everybody, as Jon notes. Sansa is not saying Cerwyn hasn't been contacted; rather, she's hoping that personal diplomacy might change it.

Cerwyn and Manderly sat out the war. Otherwise, they would have argued with Lyanna. Manderly outright states she's right.

Gigglepoo

Right but it's already been implied that they sent Raven's to these houses and they either have refused or just ignored their call.

Yeah, maybe. Who knows? I just really feel like they brushed aside logic to make Jon and Sansa's storyline work this season. There's no real impetus for their actions other than following whatever plot has been constructed.

Cerwyn and Manderly sat out the war. Otherwise, they would have argued with Lyanna. Manderly outright states she's right.

I'm sure they will make great allies going forward then.

Kozak

Banned
In the scene, Sansa tells Jon that only a fool would trust Littlefinger. Later, she meets with Littlefinger and he paints this picture of himself on the Iron Throne, with Sansa at his side. She rejects him in the moment, but when Jon is crowned King in the North, Sansa and Littlefinger exchange a look with one another. What is Sansa thinking about Littlefinger's pitch by the end of the episode?

As you say, she rejects him in the beginning, but there's definitely something in her that's… it's kind of a jealousy toward Jon. He's getting all of the credit for basically Sansa saving his ass. Obviously he played a huge part in the Battle of the Bastards, but Sansa really saved him. There's a bit of jealousy there. She looks at Littlefinger knowing that he would have put her as Queen in the North, and given her the credit she deserves. I don't think she's gunning for the Iron Throne anytime soon, but she realizes that Littlefinger might be a better ally than she thought, a more trustworthy ally than she thought.

Can Sansa actually trust Littlefinger, or would their working relationship be skeptical at best?

Yes, I think she'll forever be wary of Littlefinger. But I think she realizes now that he's more loyal to her than she initially thought. He's tried to prove that. If he truly is loyal to her, then he's a wonderful, wonderful ally to have. But she'll forever be skeptical and wary of his motives. She's not stupid enough to follow him blindly.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/game-thrones-finale-sophie-turner-906820

What a fuckin joke. Jon literally wanted to give Winterfell to her. He's said many times he's not a Stark.

Fuck Sansa. Desperate version of Cersei.

:mad:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/game-thrones-finale-sophie-turner-906820

What a fuckin joke. Jon literally wanted to give Winterfell to her. He's said many times he's not a Stark.

Fuck Sansa. Desperate version of Cersei.

:mad:

Ehh. A little further down in the interview they ask her if Sansa finding out about Jon being a true son of Lyanna would change things and she says she never really thought about that.

This is just the actress interpreting her scenes. I don't think she has much of a pulse on the rest of the story yet. She's almost as blind as we are.

Gigglepoo

Ehh. A little further down in the interview they ask her if Sansa finding out about Jon being a true son of Lyanna would change things and she says she never really thought about that.

This is just the actress interpreting her scenes. I don't think she has much of a pulse on the rest of the story yet. She's almost as blind as we are.

Wouldn't the directors tell her her motivation before she films the scenes?

Euron

Kerned

Banned
Having Sansa turn against Jon would be the dumbest move ever. Worse than the Sand Snakes killing Doran.

And there needs to be a dragon horn next season. Dany is way too OP with the Tyrells and Martells.

Something is definitely going to interfere with Dany's plans, but I wonder if they'll actually introduce the horn. I've always wondered if book horn actually even works though, and maybe that's why it's never been mentioned on the show.

Gigglepoo

Something is definitely going to interfere with Dany's plans, but I wonder if they'll actually introduce the horn. I've always wondered if book horn actually even works though, and maybe that's why it's never been mentioned on the show.

There's a theory Dragonbinder really turns people into slaves. When it's blown, Damphair readily crowns Euron but afterward (when the blower dies), Damphair hates his brothers. Other people have a similar fate. Seems like a cool theory.

hoos30

Yeah, maybe. Who knows? I just really feel like they brushed aside logic to make Jon and Sansa's storyline work this season. There's no real impetus for their actions other than following whatever plot has been constructed.

I'm sure they will make great allies going forward then.

They showed us two house visits, one which resulted in a hard yes, and one a hard no. We don't need to see every visit... They believe the audience can figure it out. In a book that is just a few more pages. On a TV show that is serious money to throw at something that doesn't add much value.

Something is definitely going to interfere with Dany's plans

latest

I am the storm, brother.

*Dany's whole fleet washes away in the storm before making it to King's Landing*

Immobile

Neo Member

I guess it is kind of implied, when jon is talking to lord glover and he ask what houses are with the starks, jon says: "house mormont and we've sent ravens to the houses manderly and.." He is interrupted on this part by lord glover saying "I dont care about ravens" obviously jon was about to mention the house cerwyn there, also cerwyns are mentioned along house mormont, manderly and the one with the name of the D&D friend before jon's group leave the wall.

Kerned

Banned
Nah. Dreadfort should be destroyed and any remains of the boltons erased from history.

From a practical standpoint, someone needs to govern the lands formerly ruled by the Boltons. The Dreadfort is the most logical place to do that from. Tearing it down and building a replacement doesn't seem like the sort of thing you would do in Westeros, especially with winter having just arrived.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like the high sparrow and faith militant were kind of wasted in the show. Were they ever portrayed as a formidable force? Seemed like they were just a bunch of idiots with spiked clubs and I didn't find it very convincing that they were a threat in the face of the city guard and the Lannister + Tyrell army.

Am I missing the point?

Kerned

Banned
I feel like the high sparrow and faith militant were kind of wasted in the show. Were they ever portrayed as a formidable force? Seemed like they were just a bunch of idiots with spiked clubs and I didn't find it very convincing that they were a threat in the face of the city guard and the Lannister + Tyrell army.

Am I missing the point?

I agree. I feel like it required a certain amount of suspension of disbelief to buy their unopposed rise to power.

Speevy

Banned

Am I missing the point?

Yes. The faith militant's weapons weren't primarily based on military force, but on guilt and manipulation.

You'll notice that every time someone employed a tactic that worked with everyone else, it failed against the high sparrow.

-Olenna threatened to starve the people.
-Jaime threatened to use the Tyrell army.
-Tommen threatened to use his kingsguard.
-Everyone threatened them with their position.

The truth is that they should have been killed, but they were allowed to infiltrate the government, which is a parallel to medieval governments ruling by the fear of god, and intimidation by the church.

Some of it is a bit ridiculous like Margaery being arrested and tortured for lying, but in a theocracy things like that can happen.

Showaddy

I wonder if they might do a story with Randyll Tarly seizing control of the Reach with the Tyrell's mostly gone. Feels like a waste of a casting just to have him for 1 scene to give Sam a sword.

Speevy

Banned
I agree. I feel like it required a certain amount of suspension of disbelief to buy their unopposed rise to power.

The source of their power in the book is the people, and the problem with the people in the show is that they're all really unpleasant and stupid.

Every time we see a commoner, he or she is just cursing or flashing their genitalia. We never get to see how regular people live in the show.

dabig2

From a practical standpoint, someone needs to govern the lands formerly ruled by the Boltons. The Dreadfort is the most logical place to do that from. Tearing it down and building a replacement doesn't seem like the sort of thing you would do in Westeros, especially with winter having just arrived.

Well, Wildlings need a place to crash. It's interesting how the Dreadort(Boltons), Karhold (Karstarks), and the Last Hearth (Umbers) all border each other and form the mid-eastern part of the North. Boltons deserve to be erased and lands distributed to others, but what about the Karstarks and Umbers in the show?

The music that plays during that hard cut from the baby to Jon makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up every time I see it. So good.

Speevy

Banned
Yeah I don't think this show will ever have a better character scene than the baby cutting to Jon.

It's the best thing the show has ever filmed.

How will they legitimize Jon as the true heir to the throne? It's pretty much Bran's word vs everyone else. Even if someone with some knowledge / power tried to rally behind the idea - there's Dany and her army that would be another issue.

Kozak

Banned

Am I missing the point?

They also had The Kings and the common people's backing.

Just having the common people backing you is a huge amount of power.

I feel like the show has tried to portray this but it gets lost in between all of the scheming, dragons, Jon Snow and explosions. Their portrayals of the common people giving you or taking power are too far and few between.

How will they legitimize Jon as the true heir to the throne? It's pretty much Bran's word vs everyone else. Even if someone with some knowledge / power tried to rally behind the idea - there's Dany and her army that would be another issue.

The books will probably use Howland Reed, I'd imagine. For the show... I'm not sure. Howland was at ToJ, but not in that scene with Lyanna. I suppose we could see Ned inform him afterwards- perhaps Bran will have a few more flashback scenes in s7?

Speevy

Banned
Since Bryan Cogman doesn't care about time skips at all, maybe they'll have Bran appear on the boat with Dany next season.

Black_Sun

The thing here is that Jon's real parentage doesn't matter except as an obstacle for maintaining his power as the King in the North.

King Jon can easily just marry Daenerys and become the King of Westeros that way. There's no need for him to tell people the truth

He'll have to get flamed and emerge unburnt, like Daenerys.

You know, I make fun of the time skips as much as anyone, but really, it's not as bad as we make it out to be. There are plenty of cues about time passing - like Sansa making those clothes - and people WOULD travel so very slowly that showing things closer to real time would be incredibly boring. Really, the problem isn't folks teleporting (though, still, LOL), but the way they cut things together that can't possibly happen close to one other, but they're choosing narrative over the other (similar to GRRM's wacky timelines in the last two books). I think it would be an interesting experiment to have someone recut a season to be more in order, or even just added some date stamps or something.

The thing here is that Jon's real parentage doesn't matter except as an obstacle for maintaining his power as the King in the North.

King Jon can easily just marry Daenerys and become the King of Westeros that way. There's no need for him to tell people the truth

Ah, that's right. He can marry his aunt and become King that way - it was perfectly ok for Targs to marry someone from their own family.

He'll have to get flamed and emerge unburnt, like Daenerys.

Not all Targs are immune to fire, right? It would be interesting to see if Jon can burn or not.

Probity

In the show Jon burned his hand when he was killing the wight to save the Lord Commander, when he was just a steward. People keep bringing up the Targaryen nonsense but that's been shown and we also saw that Dany's brother felt the pain of heat when he was killed.

Speevy

Banned
It would be pretty damn impressive if someone went their entire life without realizing they were immune to fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom