• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kerned

Banned
He isn't immune to fire though, right? He burned his hand while rescuing Mormont. That did happen in the show, right? I swear it starts to blur together.

MaGlock

Alright fam I got questions.

1) is Lord Royce cheering for Jon snow king in Da norf?

2) who are the remaining people in the storm lands loyal to or are there just not there anymore

3) the entire realm is in open rebellion against the crown (westerlands and crown lands only people left supporting cersei) what's the plan here

4) with barristan slain, jorah off explorin, and daario left to enforce the queens justice who draws up the battle plan for dany?

So I'm part of the group I rewatched the finale with my dad,my sister, my sis' boyfriend and all of them are show only watchers. When the Jon baby scene happened they understood that he was lyanna's son, but didn't understand what any of the conversation meant or who was the father.

They only got the basic idea that he wasn't Ned's son. Not the whole Jonchilada.

Speevy

Banned
So I'm part of the group I rewatched the finale with my dad,my sister, my sis' boyfriend and all of them are show only watchers. When the Jon baby scene happened they understood that he was lyanna's son, but didn't understand what any of the conversation meant or who was the father.

They only got the basic idea that he wasn't Ned's son. Not the whole Jonchilada.

They didn't tell who the father was, and I expect this to be addressed in a future episode.

I thought the scene was meant to refute the notion that he was the son of some tavern slut.

It was a beautiful scene whether you understood its meaning or not, I feel. Like as close to the magic of reading a book as you can get from Dan and Dave.

He isn't immune to fire though, right? He burned his hand while rescuing Mormont. That did happen in the show, right? I swear it starts to blur together.

He burned his hand in both the book and the show, but only the books remind us often of it. The show had his hand bandaged for a while and healed up a few eps later.

Eh, I dunno if it's necessary. These people say they care about all sorts of things -- guest rights, kinslaying, kingslaying -- and do it all repeatedly, whenever the opportunity arises.

Ned Stark was our model for what following that rigidity looks like in practice. Chivalrous men do not survive long in this world. And even he had no problems stabbing a dude in the back during a fight when he was younger.

What? In the show that was HR, in the books we haven't gotten the full version of the fight.

They're heat resistant at best according to GRRM. Show Dany is the only human with permanent fire immunity.

My thought about Jon proving his lineage through fire isn't that it's a permanent X-Men-like power, but that it'll happen mysteriously in a public human sacrifice fire and blood situation that way Dany's has, and then people will believe he's a Targaryen.

Black_Sun

Eh, I dunno if it's necessary. These people say they care about all sorts of things -- guest rights, kinslaying, kingslaying -- and do it all repeatedly, whenever the opportunity arises.

Ned Stark was our model for what following that rigidity looks like in practice. Chivalrous men do not survive long in this world. And even he had no problems stabbing a dude in the back during a fight when he was younger.

No they don't. Not even Roose can go as far as kin-slaying Ramsay despite knowing he killed his other son.

And the Freys are now despised for breaking guest right.

The only people that kingslayed are Jaime, Roose and Euron. All 3 of which are awful people although Jaime had justifiable reasons but nonetheless he became a socials pariah as a result.

These things have consequences in the books just not in the show because the plot writes the show there.

Like Jon becoming King in the North like that in the show sets a precedent for bastards usurping their trueborn kin. There are established rules that the lords have to abide by or things go to hell fast.

Black_Sun

My thought about Jon proving his lineage through fire isn't that it's a permanent X-Men-like power, but that it'll happen mysteriously in a public human sacrifice fire and blood situation that way Dany's has, and then people will believe he's a Targaryen.

Here's the problem. Only Daenerys is actually fire immune in the show.

Nothing says that other Targaryens have ever been this. So how would the public know that is some Targaryen super power which it's not. It's a Daenerys only superpower.

Plenty of Targs have died burning including Aegon V and most of the Targs at Summerhall.

Speevy

Banned
Here's the problem. Only Daenerys is actually fire immune in the show.

Nothing says that other Targaryens have ever been this. So how would the public know that is some Targaryen super power which it's not. It's a Daenerys only superpower.

Plenty of Targs have died burning including Aegon V and most of the Targs at Summerhall.

In a television show, there is a need to turn the unusual into something spectacular. You can certainly appreciate how a detail like this turned into Dany's defining characteristic.

Kozak

Banned
They can pass off Jon being hurt by fire due to his Stark blood.

They can pass off Viserys being hurt by fire as missing out on that gene and getting the crazies instead. Flip a coin yada yada..

Although I'm pretty sure dropping a molten pot of gold on her head would kill Dany also.

edit:

Dany also seems to have some sort of magical connection the Dragons.

KahooTs

If they're going to go some physical feat for Jon to prove his heritage then how about hopping on the back of one of the dragons?

Man I was told that Euron was a cool character, and this is what we got? Dude looks like a reject from my name is earl. Guy from the citadel was a better villain.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
The show is more likely to make Jon fire proof because of his Lord of Light connections and not because he's a Targ.

Being a Targ is why he's gonna be Dragon riding before the the series end. Probably right after they kill off his wolf.

Black_Sun

Man I was told that Euron was a cool character, and this is what we got? Dude looks like a reject from my name is earl. Guy from the citadel was a better villain.

The show majorly dropped the ball here unless it's just a misdirect for next season. Or maybe they're debating whether to introduce the other sides of Euron for next season.

Turin

Banned
I'm looking forward to actually getting some Northern political intrigue in S7. I wonder how long it'll last in the season.

Kozak

Banned
All 3 dragons are gonna land right in front of Jon, snarling and then slowly give up their guard and give Jon a sweet ol' lick on the face.

So many pussys would drip

Speevy

Banned
I wonder if Jon having differences with Sansa makes people mad because D and D wrote it, or because George R.R. Martin probably told them about it.

dubq

2) who are the remaining people in the storm lands loyal to or are there just not there anymore

3) the entire realm is in open rebellion against the crown (westerlands and crown lands only people left supporting cersei) what's the plan here

4) with barristan slain, jorah off explorin, and daario left to enforce the queens justice who draws up the battle plan for dany?

1) yes
4) Tyrion would be feasible since he did mastermind the Battle at Blackwater.

darkwing

I dislike the Arya thing more and more as I think about it. In a vacuum the idea is awesome, it's something that I should be cheering for, but I just feel cheated by it.

We watch two seasons of endless scenes with Arya sitting around doing nothing in Braavos, and once she finally leaves, she just magically appears killing Frey as a shock moment? This is a character I want to follow, I want to see her journey! She's had her long and boring magical assassin training, so now I want to go see her go back home, figure out what she's going to do, make a plan, execute it, all that good stuff. Instead all of that is skipped in favor of a "surprise" moment that felt so out of left field I honestly wondered if it was a dream sequence at first.

it all happened offscreen

KahooTs

I wonder if Jon having differences with Sansa makes people mad because D and D wrote it, or because George R.R. Martin probably told them about it.

The most vocal book fans are character fans, and they are mostly disbelieving of and vehemently against any idea of Stark (including Jon) vs Stark. They'll blame anything and everything they can until it happens in the books then they'll blame GRRM. In most cases their character fandom outweighs any other consideration and they'll prefer whichever medium gives their character a more heroic happy time of things.

1) probably not. Its an interesting question if the vale will stay an ally to sansa. They have been successful with their isolation tactic so far. Depends on what little finger does. I could see robin beeing married to cersei or dany.
2) notable stormlords are dondarrion, selmy and tarth.. I presume none of them will be loyal to cersei. They may be loyal to the north.
3) Death and destruction. Cersei only knows rulkng through fear. Thats probably what she will try to do.
4) tyrion

Speevy

Banned
Let's give it up for the usurped.

-David Bradley
-Patrick Malahide
-Jonathan Pryce
-Michael Mcelhatton
-Alexander Siddig
-Natalie Dormer
-Roger Ashton-Griffiths

If I had told you they would kill the leader of almost every region in Westeros, you would have called me nuts, right?

Speevy

Banned
The most vocal book fans are character fans, and they are mostly disbelieving of and vehemently against any idea of Stark (including Jon) vs Stark. They'll blame anything and everything they can until it happens in the books then they'll blame GRRM. In most cases their character fandom outweighs any other consideration and they'll prefer whichever medium gives their character a more heroic happy time of things.

Well do they want he Starks to return to Winterfell after the whitewalkers are defeated and do the third ending of Lord of the Rings with little Stark childrenrunning up to Sansa and Arya taking Bran horseback riding? They should have known that wasn't in the cards.

Black_Sun

I think this is a GRRM idea but the problem is that it feels forced in the show after their bonding time.

I don't think Book Jon and Book Sansa are going to have any time to bond before they're in conflict with each other over who gets Winterfell.

(Jon actually does want Winterfell really badly despite what people say.)

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Has Jon lost his balls? When Lord Glover asks forgiveness for not fighting for him at Winterfell Jon says there's nothing to forgive. Hell yes there is! I wanted Jon to do what Robb threatened Greatjon Umber: to root Glover out of his keep and hang him for an oathbreaker.

Speevy

Banned
I think that characters can appear to resolve the deepest future conflict at a moment in time, but in their minds they are not done with the issue.

I think Sansa and Jon appear perfectly reasonable talking about the future of their home.

If at some future time Sansa starts yelling at Jon and calling him a bastard with no claim to Winterfell, or she splinters off into her own little faction of the north, well they'd have to develop that pretty hard, and I don't think there's time.

Mostly I think it will come down to a few scenes of Littlefinger presenting Sansa with options. She must choose between Jon Snow having all the power or take some power for herself.

The last several years have consisted of her being robbed of her home, her family, her virginity. If no lord or lady will give her anything, she will have to take it for herself. And the only political figure weak enough to let her do that is Jon.

Black_Sun

Has Jon lost his balls? When Lord Glover asks forgiveness for not fighting for him at Winterfell Jon says there's nothing to forgive. Hell yes there is! I wanted Jon to do what Robb threatened Greatjon Umber: to root Glover out of his keep and hang him for an oathbreaker.

Jon Snow like Stannis is suffering from PKS. Passive king syndrome.

LowRoller

Jon knows he needs all the men they can get to fight the white walkers.

KahooTs

Important questions I think are, will Tyrion ride a dragon?

What the Sansa and Tyrion situation will look like when/if they reunite?

What will be Jon's response when the south don't believe in the slightest his warnings about the WWs?

Speevy

Banned

What will be Jon's response when the south don't believe in the slightest his warnings about the WWs?

Tyrion's nickname is Lord Too Small To Sit a Dragon

Gigglepoo

I'm only mad at how they glossed over Sansa withholding information. I want consistent characters regardless of who came up with the idea.

1. Yes
2. They are still around. Just not part of the action. I presume they are loyal to House Lannister-"Baratheon" but there aren't enough of them to make a big difference. Lot of losses from the Blackwater in Season 2 & then a slow whittling away of the rest who went with Stannis.
3. Cersei has no idea that Dany is coming. She probably doesn't know that Littlefinger double crossed her yet. She's also unaware that she just lost the RIverlands due to Arya's actions. I'm sure the first episode of Season 7 will result in her learning how fucked she is... which will lead her to Euron.
4. Theon/Tyrion/Yara/Greyworm. Maybe Randyll Tarly too...

Kozak

Banned

I'm just mad that it might happen because I care for these characters and would prefer they get along and wreck the faces of other people

I'm sure a lot of others feel the same.

It does get boring arguing over the writing :p

Speevy

Banned
I would rather see Jon feud with Sansa than watch a rehash of things that have already happened in the show.

If they could somehow do this conflict where each side has a reasonable stance, I'd be down for it.

My favorite conflicts are those in which both sides are right.

duckroll

I don't want Jon and Sansa feuding because I think that would entirely be drama borne of misunderstanding, and that's the most boring sort of drama. Instead it should be about Sansa becoming a true player in the Game, and Jon not wanting to be part of all that. It doesn't have to be a feud, or jealousy, or misunderstandings, it can just be him wanting to be the stubborn hero leader fighting the fantasy zombies, while she wants to be the one second guessing everyone, out thinking Littlefinger, etc, so they can have their differences that way. But in the end, I want to see her win, I want to see Littlefinger outmaneuvered, and in his desperation he tries a violent tactic to destroy Sansa, and that's when Jon comes in.

That way he can can get owned by both siblings, they can both get what they want, and the audience is satisfied without being put through annoying soap opera stuff.

Speevy

Banned
I want to see this scene next season.

Four members of the Stark household meet.

Arya: So what has everyone been up to?
Jon: I killed some whitewalkers, died, and came back to life. They're going to invade, and we can't stop them.
Bran: I became the three-eyed raven. I know how to stop the whitewalkers. I can see into the past. Jon, you're the son of Rhaegar Targaryen and our Aunt Lyanna, by the way.
Sansa: I was married to Tyrion Lannister and Ramsay Bolton. Ramsay raped me.
Arya: I went blind and learned to change my face and kill people. I baked some of Walder Frey's sons into a pie and killed him.

*everyone looks over at Arya suspiciously*

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search

Maybe. The show's pushing a warging Bran as the 3rd dragon rider but I wouldn't be surprised if Tyrion got his chance too at some point.

Awkward and Tyrion will try to alleviate the tension by telling a bad joke.

The same as his response when everyone else doesn't believe him. And it's not just the south, more than half his army doesn't believe him and they just declared him King. Currently the only true believers are the Nights Watch, the Wildlings and Jon's crew of Davos/Mel/Brienne/Sansa. Gotta give credit to the latter though: they are the only characters who believed Jon without running into a White Walker themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom