• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unreal Engine 3 new tech demo: Samaritan

WrikaWrek

Banned
PRoblem is, shit like high rez textures and detailed character models can no longer get a big leap.

We are now getting into the stage of all that crazy tech related to lightning and tesselations and whatever, and that's the kind of shit that seems small but takes a whole lot of power.

ACH1LL3US

Thunderbear said:
I think next-gen will easily be GTX580, probably stronger (I would say at least one generation stronger than a 580) with hopefully 2GB of video ram, and not come out until 2 years from now at the earliest. That's my guess.

I don't think so... next gen systems having a more powerful GPU the the gtx 580? So do you want $700-$800 systems? That is just not going to happen. It will be at best gtx460 level type stuff.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Blackvette94 said:
I don't think so... next gen systems having a more powerful GPU the the gtx 580? So do you want $700-$800 systems? That is just not going to happen. It will be at best gtx460 level type stuff.

New consoles aren't coming out until 2013/2014.

You think a GTX 580 will cost a whole lot of money? It's like saying a console with a gpu on par with a 9800GTX released today would cost 700$/800$.

Pure Bollocks. I could buy that card for 100 bucks today...

n0n44m

Damn that looked goood

but yeah Tri-SLI GTX580 vs BF3's single GTX580 demonstrations does makes you wonder "how long until...?" (assuming both were running 1080p)

DennisK4 said:
I expect most games next gen to be 30 fps at either 1280x1080 or 1920x1080.

Don't be surprised if developers will shy away from 1920x1080.

The same reasons that have made developers use sub-720p this gen, will be present in the next.

Most people are more impressed with more effects and geometry than higher resolution...and the devs know it.

Dennis maybe you can explain this to me: I don't understand why 1280x1080 is not distorted when viewed on a widescreen television, for example GT5.

1920x1080 and 1280x720
are 16:9 aspect ratio

1280x1080 is not 16:9... How does this work to generate a convincing image that isn't stretched on a 16:9 display?

I know there's some sort of anamorphic process involved but I still don't get why the image is not distorted.

As someone who understands the technology about as well as Charlie Sheen understands "moderation," my principle concern isn't about the hardware, it's about the money.

Can anyone with a decent tech background explain why a full 8-10 hour game that looks like this (with the requisite online mode) *wouldn't* cost an absolute fortune to make?

Does the tech avail new strategies that let developers do more amazing things with less time, manpower, and money? Are there tricks/shortcuts that would make it possible for a developer without an exorbitant budget to produce something this impressive?

Put it this way, setting inflation aside, if you look at the most visually-striking game from one generation to the next, does it require more resources to reach the pinnacle in a subsequent generation? Or do increased computing power, built-in graphics card capabilities, and better software solutions allow developers to do more with the same resources?

Has to be. They're extremely likely to come in 2012. Very likely in 2013. If we don't see them by 2014 then they're not coming at all and VIDEO GAMES ARE OVER.

[Nintex]

Pai Pai Master said:
Has to be. They're extremely likely to come in 2012. Very likely in 2013. If we don't see them by 2014 then they're not coming at all and VIDEO GAMES ARE OVER.
After all the rebranding, restructuring, revamping and redesigning I'm sure the Xbox division has an itchy trigger finger. Nintendo might not be willing to take the leap yet so Microsoft could try and beat Sony and Nintendo to the market.

FoxSpirit

Stallion Free said:
I don't understand how any tech company thinks that is a wise business practice.

Me neither, do they want to suicide their game segments?

I mean, both Sony and MS are large and have major income from other departments but fueling the game dept with it surely won't please some people and might ultimately force a withdrawal. And we wouldn't want that.

Also, no 1080p next gen = crying :-(

What produce all that high quality stuff when the 720p, no msaa resolution will swallow it all? At least I expect the 720 to come with really high IQ so inflating it won't look as bad as the majority of this gen >.<

Maybe it's just me, but I always found the animation to be jarring in UE games. I played some Mass Effect 2 and the animation transition just looks so abrupt. Is there a reason for it? Maybe I'm not playing the right UE games. I wonder if UE3 addresses it.

low-G said:
Makes me think they might actually have some solid information from behind closed doors.

Pretty sure if anyone knows it would be epic, maybe they even have some sort of input. I seem to remember reading somewhere that they were responsible for the 360 having 512 ram instead of 256

geeko

marathonfool said:
Maybe it's just me, but I always found the animation to be jarring in UE games. I played some Mass Effect 2 and the animation transition just looks so abrupt. Is there a reason for it? Maybe I'm not playing the right UE games. I wonder if UE3 addresses it.

Bad animation is not the engines fault.

element

Can anyone with a decent tech background explain why a full 8-10 hour game that looks like this (with the requisite online mode) *wouldn't* cost an absolute fortune to make?

Does the tech avail new strategies that let developers do more amazing things with less time, manpower, and money? Are there tricks/shortcuts that would make it possible for a developer without an exorbitant budget to produce something this impressive?
It will cost a fortune, and if anyone says otherwise they are smoking really great crack. If consumers want this level of graphics, I hope they are willing to accept 4 to 6 hour games (if that).

While Epic, and others, continue to improve what you can do with their technology, they aren't removing or reducing the steps to create the models/animations to do so. ZBrush/Mudbox isn't going to release a program that just makes amazing models in a couple clicks. Motion capture is helping animation, but you still need to process it, tweak it, make sure all your models are rigged correctly. This still takes time, and really can't be automated to keep the high quality bar of someone actually doing it by hand.

The other part of this is the talent level needed to create these objects. Before you could go ask a jr artist right out of college to go make some basic prefab (park bench, trash can, etc), because they were pretty simple objects to create. But not the complexity to create even those objects anymore. So you will need to either hire people who know are willing to train people, both which cost money.

heyf00L

Since it took 6 years for games to look as good as their 2004 tech demo, it's good to know where we'll be in 2017.

C-C-Combo breaker...or something. Can UE3 hold up to Teh PowER of cryengine 3.0?

cry-7.jpg

cry-4.jpg

cry-5.jpg

cry-3.jpg

Dennis

Banned
Igor Antunov said:
C-C-Combo breaker...or something. Can UE3 hold up to Teh PowER of cryengine 3.0?

cry-3.jpg
Instead of a PC open-world RPG that looks like that, we get Crysis 2 - the console sequel.

*sigh*

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
is anyone else on the low res for better graphics side of things?

i like a high res for hud reasons but i dont appreciate the 720p to 1080p jump in games enough to justify the resources it takes.

i play crysis at full effects at 720p over almost maxed at 1080p

Dennis

Banned
-COOLIO- said:
is anyone else on the low res for better graphics side of things?

i like a high res for hud reasons but i dont appreciate the 720p to 1080p jump in games enough to justify the resources it takes.

i play crysis at full effects at 720p over almost maxed at 1080p
For console games, yes. But for PC games sitting close to the monitor, resolution makes a big difference.

smuf

marathonfool said:

Batman has pretty good animation and that's on UE3.

Blizzard

Banned
WrikaWrek said:
PRoblem is, shit like high rez textures and detailed character models can no longer get a big leap.
The sad thing is, I feel like half the time, new games come out and will still have low-resolution GROUND textures or something like that. Promotional shots will even have some sort of stretched, blurry ground texture in the near foreground.

Am I the only one thinking that or am I just imagining things? :(

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
Epic says they're currently making an actual next-gen game:

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2011/03/epic-unreal-engine-demo-gdc/
"brand new title for the next generation of game machines."

If this means they are going to tease with graphics like this and then make it console-only, I will cry. It's not port-begging if the game isn't announced yet right? Right? ;_;

Trickster

Blizzard said:
"brand new title for the next generation of game machines."

If this means they are going to tease with graphics like this and then make it console-only, I will cry. It's not port-begging if the game isn't announced yet right? Right? ;_;

What if the game turns out to be 1080p with proper AA and AF, would it still be a problem that it was a console exclusive?

Blizzard

Banned
Trickster said:
What if the game turns out to be 1080p with proper AA and AF, would it still be a problem that it was a console exclusive?
Yes, because I would then have to buy a $300 console instead of buying a $1500 graphics card. ;p

But seriously, I would rather upgrade my PC rather than buy a new console. I only finally got a decent TV like...last year. I do most of my PC gaming on a normal widescreen monitor or whatever.

In fact, I played my Wii on PC via some arcane TV capture dongle thingy on a LAPTOP for a while because I didn't have a TV. Let me tell you, lag in Brawl was amazing. :p

TheExodu5

Banned
WrikaWrek said:
New consoles aren't coming out until 2013/2014.

You think a GTX 580 will cost a whole lot of money? It's like saying a console with a gpu on par with a 9800GTX released today would cost 700$/800$.

Pure Bollocks. I could buy that card for 100 bucks today...

9800GTX is a rebranded 8800, which is essentially a 4 1/2 year old card at this point. It was also never a $500 card. You'd be better off comparing to something like a GTX 280, which came out nearly 3 years ago. And yes, a console with a GTX 280 equivalent GPU today would cost a lot of money.

Top Bottom