• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unreal Engine 4 Game Informer Details

-- This is BY FAR the most exciting thing. UDK has proven to be very popular with getting indie games on board and driving revenue for licensing, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if this means a UDK4 preview to blunt anything Crytek and Unity announce.

Don't expect to see UE4 in indy hands anytime soon. The initial version is always targeted towards developers willing to pay a license. I expect costs will be on the order of $400,000 - 500,000. Then, a free version will come out allowing you to make free titles. Then, a cheaper license with royalties attached if you want to sell an indy game (Probably 25-30%).

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Don't expect to see UE4 in indy hands anytime soon. The initial version is always targeted towards developers willing to pay a license. I expect costs will be on the order of $400,000 - 500,000. Then, a free version will come out allowing you to make free titles. Then, a cheaper license with royalties attached if you want to sell an indy game (Probably 25-30%).

If they want to maintain their hold on the game engine market, it probably wouldn't be wise to suddenly shift their approach and cut off a massive amount of their user base (indie devs).

If they want to maintain their hold on the game engine market, it probably wouldn't be wise to suddenly shift their approach and cut off a massive amount of their user base (indie devs).

Epic's already said most games will be using UE3 into at least half of next-gen. The indie devs simply do not make Epic as much money upfront, and, during UE4's initial development, Epic wants the upfront money.

Apocryphon

UDK and UE3.x are licensed separately. You can develop on UDK for free, then pay a $99 licensing fee if you take your title into the commercial marketplace. The first $50k is earned royalty free, and you pay Epic 25% gross thereafter. UE3 can be licensed is multiple ways, negotiated with Epic and dependant on your requirements. Prices can range from $300k to $1m+ depending on whether it's royalty bearing, royalty free, how many platforms etc. There's no reason to think that UE4 licensing will work any differently. UE3.x will remain popular and will likely become cheaper, UDK will be updated to include core features of UE4 but will be limited in much the same way as it is compared to UE3.

Feep

Banned
Lava and mountains were great, but there were some surprisingly unimpressive elements in there.

It's not a knock against the engine, I think, it's a knock against the art designer and director of this demo.

Lava and mountains were great, but there were some surprisingly unimpressive elements in there.

It's not a knock against the engine, I think, it's a knock against the art designer and director of this demo.

I have to agree.. Kinda left disappointed. The scenery is gorgeous (especially that volcano), the character/building textures... not so much.

Figure we still have at the very least a year and a few months before we have any games actually using this, so plenty of time for improvements. Plus Gears 3 looks way better than Gears 1, which I'm sure will happen again next gen with upgrades.

pottuvoi

Banned
from this thread..
I'm not sure what to think about people who do not find the walkthrough impressive..

Lets see what we have..
- Dynamic quite high resolution GI including specular reflection.
- Proper emissive materials.
- A proper particle system.
- Properly lighted and shadowed volumetrics.
- Very good looking editor with no pre-computation needed to see the actual results.

Top Bottom