• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unreal Tournament (4) first map revealed

There was a demo for Unreal Tournament 2004 that gave you only like 3 or 4 maps but you could play online. I played the shit out of ONS-Torlan and I can't wait to play it again in UT4 :D

Easy_G

Yes, I really don't want to see any of that nonsense in this.

The character models in Gears or Unreal Tournament 3 are atrocious. Would really spoil it they're anything like that.

I thought the 2004 models were great.

RomulusUT2004_400px.jpg

Zaptruder

Banned
That's a good looking shot... but a single room doesn't make an art design.

Especially in an Arena game like UT that has multiple map and design styles.

I have my UT2K4 CDs somewhere. I installed it semi-recently for a Giant Bomb TNT but I've reinstalled Windows since then. Should have just bought it from steam last time it was on sale.

AU Tiger

Don't worry. The game is community driven. There will be a million Face Redux maps and none of them will be good.

I laughed
cried

Bot matches are also a great way to get good at the game. There are many difficulty settings, and Godlike Bots are the toughest I've seen in a multiplayer game.

Yup. And those high level bots basically sharpened my skills to the point to where I could go to LAN parties and clean house.

They MUST include bots with this new game. They just have to. It would be devastating for me because that's how I really enjoyed playing the original and 2K4. I really have no desire to play online with other players :/

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
If there's not bots AT LEAST up to 2003/4's standards I'm going to be pissed but I expect them to be quite a better over 10 years later. If there's not mod/mutator support this is dead to me. Also, if there's not a simple Unreal ED where all the UT modules are pre-loaded in so I can place pathnodes, pickups, and spawns I'm going to be incredibly disappointed. One last thing is this needs bombing run, direct IP online support with bots+human player mixing, and the flak cannon.

Actually, it's funny. I don't give a shit about their levels. I'll just make my own. I'm cool with that and will most likely do it anyways since I never really enjoy the default levels that much. I just stole assets from them. Just give me an example one for indoor and outdoor and some premade assets so I can get up to speed fast.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
We used to have some epic Unreal Tournament GAF matches 10 years ago. Tre (Tekno) was usually the best. I was pretty up there. Hitokage and a few others would participate too. What an amazing game it was.

Unreal Tournament 2004 saved the franchise from doom, iirc, because 2003 was awful.

I thought the 2004 models were great.

RomulusUT2004_400px.jpg

Yeah anything before UT 3 was great, and actually looked human.

For some reason the character design went down a big, dumb, meat-head aesthetic, which I really can't understand why.

It's baffling actually. The whole concept of UT is athletic movement, double-jumping up platforms etc. So how a fat grunt stereotype fits into that I'd like to know.

Yeah anything before UT 3 was great, and actually looked human.

For some reason the character design went down a big, dumb, meat-head aesthetic, which I really can't understand why.

It's baffling actually. The whole concept of UT is athletic movement, double-jumping up platforms etc. So how a fat grunt stereotype fits into that I'd like to know.

Because GEARS!. They even marketed the game, "From the studio that brought you of Gears of War!" in the trailers. Irked me so much...

Tenck

I hope the maps are kept clean. I play Quake Live with graphics turned all the way down because it looks so messy. That first map they showed is great, and I feel like it would be a crime to play it on low settings.

ElTopo

Banned
Screenshots look like Alien Isolation.

I think we're finally at that point where games look life-like. Last gen was Uncanny Valley this time looks different.

Danlord

Their pre-release screenshots are always overly rendered and not representative of the final game.
The 'working concept' I think it's referred to is being shown via the editor so its realtime and if you have UE4 sub you can download it. I'm not saying they've not done bullshots before but this isn't an instance of that.

There was a demo for Unreal Tournament 2004 that gave you only like 3 or 4 maps but you could play online. I played the shit out of ONS-Torlan and I can't wait to play it again in UT4 :D

And that is why everybody only ever played that god damned map. I'd die happy if I never saw Torlan again.

That being said, this is probably the game I look most forward to in a really long time. I have played the series since the beginning. Hell, I even liked UT3, although mostly for Warfare. I'm even considering getting a Uengine sub just to see the early builds.

psn

That looks fantastic.. it's perfect... just perfect.

That lighting in a UT game is like christmas in my eyes.

Facism

did they ever sort out the player-scale issues they had in ut2003/2004 with UT3? Hated how tiny the player-models were compared to the environments.

Nozem

I want a version of Campgrounds! Still the best FPS map ever made imo, and by far my most played map in UT2k4. Even though it's a Quake map.

Is wall jumping and dodge jumping gonna be in this game? It would be cool to have even more movement options. Trickjumps in UT2k4 were always great, and added a whole new layer to the game.

SparkTR

did they ever sort out the player-scale issues they had in ut2003/2004 with UT3? Hated how tiny the player-models were compared to the environments.

Although I never noticed the UT2K4 issue you seemed to have, they made it a million times worse in UT3 by making pretty much everything in the game shades of brown and grey. At times you couldn't discern what's a player or what's the environment.

RayMaker

Banned
Gd, I really like how the surfaces of materials look and how light reacts to them in UE4, something not seen at all last gen.looks realistically beautiful.

SirNinja

Beautiful design. It's like a low-fi Sci-fi setting, a la Alien or Star Wars.

Pretty much this. I hope the rest of the maps follow a similar style; it really works well, and looks incredible to boot.

The inevitable Facing Worlds remake is gonna be awesome.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I hope for many on-foot only maps and modes, i want small/medium maps with crazy jumps, complex structure etc to allow crazy fast gameplay, i have never liked vehicles and their changes to gameplay and maps, UT99 should be the primary model for this game imo.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
It's barely gotten anywhere and it already looks a million times better than UT3.

I'm really curious what the Redeemer explosion's gonna look like. (It has to be in right?)

UT3 had roid rage characters instead, UT3 was very similar to Gears of War in that way

SoundLad

Looks sweet! Haven't played UT in over 10 years now, can't wait to get into it again.

To me it looks like there's a very subtle chromatic aberration thing going on in those screens or do I just need to check my eyes?

Skyr

I hope for many on-foot only maps and modes, i want small/medium maps with crazy jumps, complex structure etc to allow crazy fast gameplay, i have never liked vehicles and their changes to gameplay and maps, UT99 should be the primary model for this game imo.

My man.

I really hope it will be as close as possible to UT99.
Also please get the OS like main menue back. Still the best and most unique main menue for a pc game.

I just hope they get rid of the comic look of the first concept arts.
But this map does everything right in terms of style imo. Keep up the great work epic!

Top Bottom