• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unused announcer audio in Smash 3DS references missing modes.

Banned
Those audio files are WiiU modes. They're in the 3DS version because when you use you the 3DS as a controller for the WiiU game, certain soundbites come through the handheld.

BELIEVE.

This does

Edit: also 8 player smash would be great for 4 humans and 4 amiibo allies
giphy.gif

You guys are nuts if you think that there will be any important DLC for this game. The first patch is something that also happened with Mario Kart 7, for example, but nothing else.

Hell, we will be lucky if they fix the online.

So...you don't know about the awesome dlc coming for MK8?

tsab

YQZnqNf.png

Yes.

Probably related how download play usualy don''t work well with lots of options at the same time (see the lack of fighters in SF4 and Kirby FIghters) ... or related how 3ds squeezes every last drop of 3DS ram

Yes but honestly you don't need buckets of ram to send some inputs through Wi-Fi, you wouldn't need to download/cache a lot of information, it should be an app to allow the connection with the game. Remember that pokemon game on Wii? It had DS to Wii connection to act as a controller via download play. This is a decision/restriction for more 3ds software sales.

edit: I get it for the custom fighter exchange but the controller mode need to have the 3ds version is silly. granted we don't know the features yet

Mendrox

Guess the new DLC modes got leaked. I don't think that they cut all these modes cause they didn't have enough time. ;-)

SerTapTap

Entirely possible it's just cut content (or content that never existed but they recorded audio just in case), it'd be nice if some wound up in the Wii U version though.

It's crazy we're this far into Fall and we still know next to nothing about the Wii U version which is somehow supposed to release in the next 82 days (and realistically probably a few weeks less than that)

It seems rather late to announce a November release and a December release is gonna have people whipped into such a mad frenzy such that it's entirely possible this thing could be sold out for the majority of its first month. It would stock but I'm fairly certain at this point the Wii U version is gonna miss this holiday for a February release.

Magnus

The 3DS version does feel a bit barebones, content-wise. This isn't terribly surprising.

It's my first Smash game, more or less - I guess I expected more than free-for-all brawls (SP/MP) and Trophy Unlocks. Smash Run is neat, but super limited. I haven't tried the Home Run thing but it seems pretty one-note.

=/

8 player smash is for Wii U only. The audio is only there because you use 4 controllers and connect 4 3DSs to the Wii U to get to the 8 players needed. No 8 players on 3DS ever...

That's my guess, anyway. We already know 3DSs can be used as controllers.

Zomba13

Definitely seem like Wii U modes to me. Boss Battle could either be against boss characters (like there were bosses in SSE) or that rumoured mode where you play as the bosses (hello playable Ridley). Tourney makes more sense for the console version and 8 player smash also makes sense for the console version rather than the 3DS.

emb

Those audio files are WiiU modes. They're in the 3DS version because when you use you the 3DS as a controller for the WiiU game, certain soundbites come through the handheld.

BELIEVE.
I don't see any reason that this won't be the case.

And I can't imagine them having ever had an 8 player mode planned just for the 3DS, given some of the concessions made to keep the game running stably.

Muzy72

Banned
It's crazy we're this far into Fall and we still know next to nothing about the Wii U version which is somehow supposed to release in the next 82 days (and realistically probably a few weeks less than that)

It seems rather late to announce a November release and a December release is gonna have people whipped into such a mad frenzy such that it's entirely possible this thing could be sold out for the majority of its first month. It would stock but I'm fairly certain at this point the Wii U version is gonna miss this holiday for a February release.
Where have you been? Release dates were announced on Tuesday.

North America - November 21
Europe - December 5
Japan - December 6
Australia - December 6

emb

Yeah, why isn't there any bosses in this game? Is master hand seriously not included??
Hmm?

Master Hand and Crazy Hand are in the 3DS version. We don't know for sure with the Wii U game, but probably there too. Unless I'm misunderstanding what you meant?

Krejlooc

Banned
Hmm?

Master Hand and Crazy Hand are in the 3DS version. We don't know for sure with the Wii U game, but probably there too. Unless I'm misunderstanding what you meant?

How do I get to master hand? All I keep doing is playing the solo mode and running into hidden characters?

Zomba13

There's one important phrase missing...

"Break The Targets!" :(

;_;

If they didn't want to make a unique stage for each character (you know, cost and man hours and all that) they could just make one or two that is completable by every character and have the whole thing to do it as fast as possible and as fast as each character. Would at least be fun :(

Forkball

Yellow team is the real megaton.

Maybe "The Champion Is" is Wii U's big exclusive mode ala Smash Run. It's strange that we haven't heard anything about the Wii U version's exclusive modes. As for eight player Smash, that would be fun to try but too crazy to become the norm.

Do you have 8 controllers? You need options!

Haven't checked controller options for Smash Wii U, but I assume you can use gamepad, Wii U pro controllers, Wii remote + nunchucks, Wii Pro controllers and Gamecube-controllers. All of those work alright (and certainly better than 3DS ;b) if you're just playing for fun (which you probably are if you're that many at once), so yeah.

Maybe "The Champion Is" is Wii U's big exclusive mode ala Smash Run.

Isn't that just what the announcer says when someone wins the tourney? Doubt an independent mode would actually be called that.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Yellow team is the real megaton.

Maybe "The Champion Is" is Wii U's big exclusive mode ala Smash Run. It's strange that we haven't heard anything about the Wii U version's exclusive modes. As for eight player Smash, that would be fun to try but too crazy to become the norm.

Surely 'The Champion is' is just the clip announcing the results of a tournament? The appropriate character name clip would just come afterwards. Same as:

'The winner is'

*pause*

'Mega Man'

SoldnerKei

BELIEVE.

stop being rational about this!!

but yeah, I think this may be the reason

Haven't checked controller options for Smash Wii U, but I assume you can use gamepad, Wii U pro controllers, Wii remote + nunchucks, Wii Pro controllers and Gamecube-controllers. All of those work alright (and certainly better than 3DS ;b) if you're just playing for fun (which you probably are if you're that many at once), so yeah.

Isn't that just what the announcer says when someone wins the tourney? Doubt an independent mode would actually be called that.

Right, however the WiiU only supports 4 bluetooth controllers + the gamepad. So at least 3 of those 8 players would need to be either Gamecube controllers or 3DS players.

Forkball

Yeah that makes more sense. I wonder if Wii U won't have any adventure mode then...
Surely 'The Champion is' is just the clip announcing the results of a tournament? The appropriate character name clip would just come afterwards. Same as:

'The winner is'

*pause*

'Mega Man'
But Mega Man never wins.

This audio was probably recorded in one lump for 3DS and Wii U, the audio was likely included in the 3DS version by accident. We've probably just got a preview of all the modes in the Wii U version.

The 3DS version does feel a bit barebones, content-wise. This isn't terribly surprising.

It's my first Smash game, more or less - I guess I expected more than free-for-all brawls (SP/MP) and Trophy Unlocks. Smash Run is neat, but super limited. I haven't tried the Home Run thing but it seems pretty one-note.

=/

What kind of content are you looking for? This game has a ton of stuff to do. Way more than Melee did.

There's the Smash mode, which is just for setting up matches against other players or CPU... if that's all you're going into, you're missing out on a lot.

Under Games and More there's the Smash Run, but go into the Stadium. There's a whole lot more than just the home run derby here. You'll find the Multi Man Smash mode where you play timed modes, Cruel Smash, and Endless Smash (basically survival mode). Target Smash sucks IMO, but you may like it... you beat up on a bomb for a few seconds to get its damage meter up, and then you smash it into a Crush the Castle style structure and try to blow it all up.

In the Vault there's a neat minigame where blocks fall from the sky onto a platform and you have to knock them away to keep the platform from getting overloaded. Keeping up with the flow puts the game into Fever mode where coins, creation parts, and trophies rain down. It seems to be the fastest way to earn moves; you tend to get a creation part once per Fever mode, and it seems like it's weighted more for attacks instead of equipment. I've been getting an average of two moves everytime I play it. It's faster than Smash Run.

Rizific

speaking of this, i was dicking around in the sound clips and found this that puzzled me. in sounds > announcer > voices > clip 24, what is he saying? ow? wat? its in the string of the announcer saying the selected character, so i must assume this is a selectable character.

PsionBolt

speaking of this, i was dicking around in the sound clips and found this that puzzled me. in sounds > announcer > voices > clip 24, what is he saying? ow? wat? its in the string of the announcer saying the selected character, so i must assume this is a selectable character.

Alph. Olimar's alt.

Coppanuva

Remember: parity :)

Parity applied only to Characters in the games, not stages or game modes. We've known for a while there would be exclusive content to each version (levels being different, some of the 3DS levels are exclusive, a good bet is the handheld specific ones such as Dream Land, and modes are different since we know for sure Smash Run is a 3ds exclusive).

georly

If 8 player smash gets added to 3DS in the future, but ice climbers remain cut, i'm going to be incensed.

This has to be a cut feature for similar reasons.

Yeah that makes more sense. I wonder if Wii U won't have any adventure mode then...

But Mega Man never wins.

Sakurai already said neither game would have something like Subspace Emissary. Maybe we'll get something like Melee's simple adventure mode, but I doubt it.

Atrarock

How do I get to master hand? All I keep doing is playing the solo mode and running into hidden characters?
From the main menu in the game go to "games & more", solo, and then classic.

You seem to have not seen all of the modes in this version yet :p

Top Bottom