• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Updated Nintendo Patent For Modular, Customisable Control Options - 8/2016

maxcriden

Update: likely this is not of any relevance, sorry. Please see posts #13 and 15.

--

Original post:

(Ok, I searched and I'm not very good at this patent thing so hopefully there isn't already a thread. :/ I tried, though. Go easy on me if I missed it.)

Patent here.

From Nintendo Life's article (the full title is "Updated Nintendo Patent For Modular, Customisable Control Options Gives Another Spin on NX Reports"):

Another long-running Nintendo patent has been updated and made available to the public, which portrays a similar idea. Previously submitted in late 2013 and published in early 2014, the just-published update portrays an assortment of controller attachments that can be placed into the device with a notable degree of freedom.

As you can see in the initial images below, in its simplest form (mimicking the similar patent that emerged in the past week) it allows a bespoke control option to be added in a modular way on the top right of the device.

original.jpg

original.jpg

Some further images are interesting; the following indicate variations of more control options that can in theory be swapped in, included sets of three and four buttons.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...trol_options_gives_another_spin_on_nx_reports (source:Reddit, also via GoNintendo.com)

--

Recent relevant thread: Nintendo Patent Application - Accessory and Information Processing System

What are some interesting control configurations you'd like to see this lead to?

Neoxon

If the detachable controller parts are indeed for two players rather than just one controller split in two, this would get around the D-Pad issue for the left side. Plus this would allow for analog sticks at home & circle pads on the go.

Interesting that this was just granted. I'd be surprised if it came to fruition, though, as in the Iwata Asks on the 3DS hardware, they implied that releasing hardware like this was merely a joke. They had a prototype 3DS that they used to get a feel for which directional apparatus felt better in the top position. Don't think it used NFC, but it did look similar (if uglier, as prototypes often do).

Edit: There's the pic in James Scott's post.

georly

Man I really don't want to have to deal with a bunch of controller 'pieces' or have controllers than 'click' apart if i'm not careful. Really hope that either these patents don't amount to anything or that nintendo is *really* smart about it. This could be a nightmare scenario of cheap plastic garbage.

Dystify

So the question is, what will they use, the prev patent with detached controllers or this one

Nintendo patents stuff all the time without ever using it in a real product, so technically they might use neither of these patents. But since we know the controllers can be detached in a way there's a decent chance they'll do it this time.

Replace Wii remotes, nunchucks, and classic controllers lying around everywhere with cheap, plastic controller shells!

This is kind of a neat idea, but I'd really like the NX to be as simple and clutter-free as possible.

maxcriden

Interesting that this was just granted. I'd be surprised if it came to fruition, though, as in the Iwata Asks on the 3DS hardware, they implied that releasing hardware like this was merely a joke. They had a prototype 3DS that they used to get a feel for which directional apparatus felt better in the top position. Don't think it used NFC, but it did look similar (if uglier, as prototypes often do).

Edit: There's the pic in James Scott's post.

Hm, but, if they updated it, it gives some credence to the possibility, no? Or at least, perhaps it's similar enough to the modular recent patent that maybe they want to cover themselves? Maybe Skittzo can shed some light.

^^ Good timing!

They used it on 3DS prototypes

But it is weird that they updated it if they're not going to use it

Patent expert here:

They did not update this patent. The patent was granted yesterday (8/16/2016).

Also, even if this patent application was updated (officially the term is amended) that means absolutely nothing with regard to whether or not they will use it. Patent applications are only ever amended to get around prior art documents or change the scope of the legal coverage of the patent.

Also, patents themselves cannot be "updated" after they are granted. They can be corrected if there are important errors in the document, but the inventor cannot update anything in one particular patent. Rather, the inventor can file a Continuation, which is essentially a new patent application using the same base invention as previously patented (or filed), but focusing the claims on a different aspect of the invention.

All in all, this is rather unimportant. Companies release products with patents pending all the time, and the patent term length is based on the filing date, not the grant date.

maxcriden

^^ Good timing!

Patent expert here:

They did not update this patent. The patent was granted yesterday (8/16/2016).

Also, even if this patent application was updated (officially the term is amended) that means absolutely nothing with regard to whether or not they will use it. Patent applications are only ever amended to get around prior art documents or change the scope of the legal coverage of the patent.

Also, patents themselves cannot be "updated" after they are granted. They can be corrected if there are important errors in the document, but the inventor cannot update anything in one particular patent. Rather, the inventor can file a Continuation, which is essentially a new patent application using the same base invention as previously patented (or filed), but focusing the claims on a different aspect of the invention.

All in all, this is rather unimportant. Companies release products with patents pending all the time, and the patent term length is based on the filing date, not the grant date.

Thanks so much for the clarification. Seems like the title (from Reddit) is erroneous then, but patents are confusing for us laypersons so I certainly understand their (and my own) confusion. :)

Thanks so much for the clarification. Seems like the title (from Reddit) is erroneous then, but patents are confusing for us laypersons so I certainly understand their (and my own) confusion. :)

No problem!

Yeah patents are confusing, and it doesn't help that almost every patent publication is referred to as a "patent".

When an inventor files for a patent, they are filing a "Patent Application." A few months after filing, unless a non-publication request is filed, the patent application is published, and is known as a PGPub, which stands for "Pre-Grant Publication," so essentially if a patent document has a number like "20XX/1234567" then it is a PGPub, and has not yet been granted. It is still a patent application at this stage.

Before being granted, patent applications are typically amended, such that the text of the claims are changed, sometimes substantially. Drawings and detailed description can change too, though usually not substantially. Therefore, the granted patent will have different claims than the patent application (usually). Granted patent documents will have a number like "9,012,345"

This is probably what NintendoLife meant by "updated"- that the granted patent has different claims than the previously published patent application. And these changes are only for legal reasons, to make sure the invention is not read on by any prior art but retains the broadest possible coverage.

Hope that helps!

maxcriden

No problem!

Yeah patents are confusing, and it doesn't help that almost every patent publication is referred to as a "patent".

When an inventor files for a patent, they are filing a "Patent Application." A few months after filing, unless a non-publication request is filed, the patent application is published, and is known as a PGPub, which stands for "Pre-Grant Publication," so essentially if a patent document has a number like "20XX/1234567" then it is a PGPub, and has not yet been granted. It is still a patent application at this stage.

Before being granted, patent applications are typically amended, such that the text of the claims are changed, sometimes substantially. Drawings and detailed description can change too, though usually not substantially. Therefore, the granted patent will have different claims than the patent application (usually).

This is probably what NintendoLife meant by "updated"- that the granted patent has different claims than the previously published patent application. And these changes are only for legal reasons, to make sure the invention is not read on by any prior art but retains the broadest possible coverage.

Hope that helps!

It definitely does help! Thanks again. :)

Replace Wii remotes, nunchucks, and classic controllers lying around everywhere with cheap, plastic controller shells!

This is kind of a neat idea, but I'd really like the NX to be as simple and clutter-free as possible.

Yeah, I can't help but feel like this is going to be a mess and the small swappable components in the patent look like they'd be choking hazards if you have small kids. Nintendo has a lot of neat ideas and I feel like they're necessary to shake things up from time to time but it's pretty hard to refine control methods at this point without making it a hassle.

I always felt that the biggest hurdle for Nintendo trying to take on mobile gaming is the fact that most mobile games can be played with a single hand allowing you to do other things with you free hand while you play. This approach to doing something different with mobile controls doesn't do much to address that.

Thanks to you as well, Disorientator. :) I should have known if I'd searched far enough back you or Rösti would have covered this at some point!

Funnily enough you have the last post in that thread :D
Nothing wrong with a thread about a newly granted patent anyway, I think.

They really need to keep this simple/not have a bunch of detachable parts.

Well if it is a hybrid they really don't have much of a choice.

A design like the sticks on the WiiU gamepad make the thing less portable, even if they shrunk it in size.

However you wouldn't want two slider pads like on the 3DS to be the main option to control a home console game.

I feel like if this is a system you can dock and take with you, you are going to be able to need to alter the system its self in some ways in order to make it best suited for portability, and desired control when you play more complex games at home.

BDGAME

Patents like that reforce the idea that NX will be another dual screen machine, if combined with eurogamer rumors.

You know if we all want an NX thread that won't get locked and is credible, we merely need to work on one Nintendo Patent thread. The patents are the only legit reference we have for what Nintendo is working on.

For example:
US20160267696A1.jpg

Here is a Nintendo controller I haven't seen yet, maybe you all have. Rather than focus on rumors, why not focus on what we know for sure.

US20160166941A1.jpg

tr1p1ex

Changeable controls is totally Nintendo. They like to pack-in hardware with software so its easy to picture a bundle with a game and new controller add-on.

Mariolee

It truly is insane how it is already October 10th and we still know nothing about the NX, a system that at one point had plans to be revealed 4 months ago and is being released in 5 months supposedly.

It truly is insane how it is already October 10th and we still know nothing about the NX, a system that at one point had plans to be revealed 4 months ago and is being released in 5 months supposedly.
I really hope tomorrow is the day. Today is a holiday so nothing for us today :(

Phoenixus

At this point it really wouldn't surprise me if they wait until Pokémon Sun and Moon are released. They've held out this long already.

SalvaPot

Aaah, another day another NX thread, keep feeding them to me, I love everything about it.

This console is the Cloverfield of videogames.

Top Bottom