• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US/CAN Club Nintendo Thread: New and improved. Read the OP.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't even start on making the CDs yet. I imagine the large registration window is so they can know before hand how many to make, hence why we have to wait for March to get them.

Though yeah, maybe they were either prepared for the posters and made even more or maybe enough people just didn't want because it wasn't the characters they wanted.

BooJoh

Hmm... my Alpha Sapphire download version still hasn't triggered its registration survey on CN. It's listed in my registered products though. Nobody else has this issue?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Also why I'm anal and register my shit as soon as I get a new copy because I'm worried the code will get stolen.

Side note Smash pushed me into Plat status! :D

Bii

Also why I'm anal and register my shit as soon as I get a new copy because I'm worried the code will get stolen.

Side note Smash pushed me into Plat status! :D

These last few posts had me worried about some codes that I've been sitting on. My Wind Waker HD and New Super Luigi U were still valid. I still have around a dozen other games to register so hopefully they haven't been claimed. :/

Roo

These last few posts had me worried about some codes that I've been sitting on. My Wind Waker HD and New Super Luigi U were still valid. I still have around a dozen other games to register so hopefully they haven't been claimed. :/
I don't really see the problem.
I mean, until last year I didn't register any of my games (including Wii games) and all of them worked despite being there for years.
The oldest one was Super Mario Galaxy I think.

i-Jest

Nintendo really need to put some kind of buyer protection, around Club Nintendo Codes, into place. This kind of thing is unacceptable for those who've stayed loyal to them. Does this happen in the other Club Nintendo Programs or is this purely a North American thing?

the3ye

Hello,

Thanks for contacting us. Sorry to hear about your Super Smash Bros. for the Nintendo Wii U PIN not working. I checked the PIN and found that it was already registered in another Club Nintendo account. Unlike the serial number, the PIN included with new systems can only be registered in one account.

If you have any additional questions or concerns, don’t hesitate to reply to this email. Be sure to include your original email as well as this response if you do.

Sincerely,

Nintendo of America Inc.
So what now?

Christian

So I have 900 points. I don't really want the poster set. Is there any reason I shouldn't spend the coins on games? Like, I wouldn't mind blowing 150 coins on Metroid II for my 3DS. Any drawbacks to this?

*Edit* - And I'm sorry, I know this has probably been asked a MILLION times. I'm relatively new to Club Nintendo, but from what I gather, they don't really offer sweet tangible rewards anymore, just digital downloads.

L Thammy

Customer support e-mail tells me that my problem can be solved, but I need to call. I'll do so tomorrow and l'll post the results.
I told them that I can provide proof of purchase on request and that the PIN was probably registered by someone who is trying to scam them. Not sure if that helped.

i-Jest

So I have 900 points. I don't really want the poster set. Is there any reason I shouldn't spend the coins on games? Like, I wouldn't mind blowing 150 coins on Metroid II for my 3DS. Any drawbacks to this?

*Edit* - And I'm sorry, I know this has probably been asked a MILLION times. I'm relatively new to Club Nintendo, but from what I gather, they don't really offer sweet tangible rewards anymore, just digital downloads.

You can spend coins on whatever catches your eye. Physical rewards look to be slowly going the way of the dinosaurs. Downloads are here to stay.

Customer support e-mail tells me that my problem can be solved, but I need to call. I'll do so tomorrow and l'll post the results.
I told them that I can provide proof of purchase on request and that the PIN was probably registered by someone who is trying to scam them. Not sure if that helped.

I wish you all the best. Please do report your findings.

L Thammy

I don't really see the problem.
I mean, until last year I didn't register any of my games (including Wii games) and all of them worked despite being there for years.
The oldest one was Super Mario Galaxy I think.

Um, I would think the problem is obvious. Other people are getting rewarded for games they didn't buy (problem for Nintendo) while the3ye and I have to go through customer service (problem for customers). Mewtwo was my favourite character in Melee and the huge soundtrack was my favourite thing about Brawl, so I'm really hoping this gets resolved.

Using your codes right away might help prevent this, but I think the real risk is right after release. Someone buys a game and decides to get a few extra coins while they're at it. A few people posted about doing it in earlier threads, probably because they didn't realize that they might inconvenience someone else.

You might not like the game, I guess. Nothing other than that. I think you can even get a few coins back thanks to the surveys.

iphys

So what now?

Good grief. Tell them it's your PIN from a game you bought brand new, so either they distributed the same PIN twice or the other person was not the rightful owner of the PIN code, in which case their PIN system is pretty faulty if people can guess the PINs or accidentally enter them via typo.

Nairume

Banned

The only drawback is not having a lot of points for the rare time they do have a neat physical reward.

Truth be told, I've been enjoying getting free games so I tend to keep about 200 coins in case something I really really want comes alone and otherwise spend every group of 150-250 coins on random game rewards.

maxcriden

They rarely offer good rewards anymore, but FWIW that Luigi's Mansion statue was less than a year ago. Then again, the Plat rewards weren't even physical items this year.

Double then again, Metroid II is supremely awesome if you haven't played it.

Christian

Thanks for all the feedback, guys. Much appreciated. I know Metroid II is ownzy. Definitely want to have it. But noquarter makes an interesting point, 30% off this weekend seems better than using coins for now. When do the coins expire? Is it the end of May?

zroid

Banned
Thanks for all the feedback, guys. Much appreciated. I know Metroid II is ownzy. Definitely want to have it. But noquarter makes an interesting point, 30% off this weekend seems better than using coins for now. When do the coins expire? Is it the end of May?

End of the 3rd June after you obtain the coins

eg: if you were to get some coins today, they would expire on June 30, 2017

Edit:

I just tried registering my Smash U copy several times and I keep getting a message that either says "The PIN you entered has already been registered" or "The PIN you entered is invalid," what in earth? How can this come from a new, sealed copy of the game? Anyone else run into this while registering their Smash U copy? Guessing I better call customer service ASAP?

Edit: OK, I see the posts above, I'm not the only one. Has code cracking happened with other major titles? Will customer service probably fix this for me?

iphys

Yeah, plenty of time to get the CD still, but register that code ASAP before some jerk tries to guess your PIN and take it from you.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, plenty of time to get the CD still, but register that code ASAP before some jerk tries to guess your PIN and take it from you.

Yeah after reading this, I quickly opened up my copy and redeemed mine. I didn't think there would be key generators/guesses for this, but who knows. Possible CD scalpers I'm guessing?

chrono01

I just opened up both my 3DS and Wii U copies, registered them, and redeemed the CD.

I'm not going to be playing either for the next few days, but I figured I'd register them now just in case. This topic worried me.

i-Jest

Edit:

I just tried registering my Smash U copy several times and I keep getting a message that either says "The PIN you entered has already been registered" or "The PIN you entered is invalid," what in earth? How can this come from a new, sealed copy of the game? Anyone else run into this while registering their Smash U copy? Guessing I better call customer service ASAP?

Edit: OK, I see the posts above, I'm not the only one. Has code cracking happened with other major titles? Will customer service probably fix this for me?

It seemed this has happened in the past but it's more active now that Smash U is out. Give customer service proof of purchase once contacted.

zroid

Banned
I have honestly never encountered this code guessing nonsense before, had no idea it was so widespread. People are assholes.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Huh, so Persona Q has a Club Nintendo code NOT on the cover. It's on a piece of paper like before. Interesting. Maybe it's just 1st party games that're doing it at the moment?

iphys

I remember someone posting how they were guessing 3DS PINs at one point, but I didn't think the problem was widespread, but I guess it would be tempting for all those 3DS owners to scam a Wii U code to get the soundtrack. Of course, it's also possible Nintendo screwed up and printed double copies of PIN codes by mistake somehow just for this particular game.

L Thammy

Just called Club Nintendo, the customer service person registered it for me. Didn't need to provide proof either, which is surprising. I could see someone exploiting that - although the additional effort might be a deterrent.

She mentioned that they've been getting a ton of calls like this and they know someone is generating the codes. I'm not sure if they know just how easy it is to do this, but that isn't her job.

On their end, they have to check US and Canadian codes separately. The person using my code was in the States, but when I sent in an e-mail (twice), they only checked Canada. They still told me to call anyhow, so I guess that's fine, but you might want to be careful about this. And emphasize your "zeds" if your code has one of those.

Wondering if I should make a thread since it's a large issue. Kind of worried that it might encourage more people to steal codes when they know it can be done.

Agent Unknown, the3ye, good luck.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I have honestly never encountered this code guessing nonsense before, had no idea it was so widespread. People are assholes.
It happened to me once during the first year of CN. I entered a code and it said it was invalid so I changed one digit and it worked. Looking back I feel bad that I didn't just call Nintendo to take care of it instead of stealing someone else's code.

Just called Club Nintendo, the customer service person registered it for me. Didn't need to provide proof either, which is surprising. I could see someone exploiting that - although the additional effort might be a deterrent.

She mentioned that they've been getting a ton of calls like this and they know someone is generating the codes. I'm not sure if they know just how easy it is to do this, but that isn't her job.

On their end, they have to check US and Canadian codes separately. The person using my code was in the States, but when I sent in an e-mail (twice), they only checked Canada. They still told me to call anyhow, so I guess that's fine, but you might want to be careful about this. And emphasize your "zeds" if your code has one of those.

Wondering if I should make a thread since it's a large issue. Kind of worried that it might encourage more people to steal codes when they know it can be done.

Called the customer service line and I talked to a very helpful and friendly Nintendo rep who confirmed this has been happening a lot with both Smash U and also Omega Ruby customers trying to redeem their pins.He assured me right away that I'd be able to get my credit for the game and the CD but wanted to try a few things first as he says he's personally been able to fix it a lot of Smash U codes wiithout having to escalate. After trying to reset the status of the code on his end several times it still wasn't showing up in my history so he tried to enter it manually on his end and it wouldn't even let him do that so at that point he put in a ticket to have a supervisor get it taken care of and said I should have the coins, survey and credit for the soundtrack CD all listed in my account within the next 24-48 hours if not sooner, maybe even tonight. Anyways, ace service by that rep, makes me wish they did phone surveys after. Based on my experience I encourage anyone with the PIN issue to call the main Nintendo customer service line right away.

edit: Also like Thammy I wasn't required to offer proof. I asked the rep if he needed me to provide UPC, e-mail a copy of the receipt, ect and he said that wouldn't be necessary and hasn't been required in most cases with this and that my Club Nintendo account info was all he needed.

i-Jest

Make the thread. This isn't going away any time soon.

EDIT:

Have any of you had any issue registering Persona Q codes?

zroid

Banned
Since we don't get new rewards anymore, I figure we might as well post about Europe's new rewards. As we know European Club Nintendo users often stumble across this thread inadvertently.

Nintendo of Europe ‏@NintendoEurope
This Mario Kart 8 Badge Set is available now in the #ClubNintendo Stars Catalogue! http://fal.cn/QCv #MK8

B3X2edPIcAAJhLr.png

inherendo

Anyone want to trade some club codes? I have an extra smash bros 3ds one. My 3ds library has most of the nintendo first parties but pm me.

Edit: Code is gone.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Since we don't get new rewards anymore, I figure we might as well post about Europe's new rewards. As we know European Club Nintendo users often stumble across this thread inadvertently.

Nintendo of Europe ‏@NintendoEurope
This Mario Kart 8 Badge Set is available now in the #ClubNintendo Stars Catalogue! http://fal.cn/QCv #MK8

B3X2edPIcAAJhLr.png
GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

First those cool Mario Kart trophies, now these badges. I would gladly buy those over the posters. Would go nicely with the Kirby 20th, Super Mario, & NSMB2 pins I have.

Koppai

Huh, so Persona Q has a Club Nintendo code NOT on the cover. It's on a piece of paper like before. Interesting. Maybe it's just 1st party games that're doing it at the moment?

Yep, any 3rd party games I have bought have had it included on it's own piece of paper instead of the cover art. Nintendo being cheapasses -_-

Hey guys, quick question, my cousin has smash bros for the 3DS and I have smash bros for the Wii u.

Is it possible for me to use his smash bros code on my club Nintendo account so that we both can get Mew Two and the soundtrack when they release?

Just wondering if it goes against any terms or agreements.

Top Bottom