• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US PSN Golden Week sale 5/2-5/8

What's the appeal of Steins;gate?
I played it for an hour and was extremely bored of the very VERY slow progression and having to skip through so much text that doesn't at all add to the story. The images of the girls were extremely embarrassing to watch (I was on a plane mind you and am in my 30s), and from my recollection they grunted/gasped ALL the time.
Don't get what your age has to do with it, but apart from the scientific time travelling theories, the game also heavily relies on otaku/anime fan culture, so if that's alien to you, then maybe the game is not for you.

As for me, I'm tempted by 0, but am still waiting for the anime adaptation.

SlickVic

Good timing on the Nier sale. I got a copy when it went on sale at Best Buy a couple weeks ago, but I'd rather take a digital copy for the same price. Got to return it right before the 15 days were up.

jrcbandit

Realistically yes. But why not grab the first one for 3 bucks? :p
Because I sold my Vita and my PS3 was banned a few years back for just having custom firmware and all my disc based PS3 games installed to a 1 tb hard drive ;p. Now if only I could get Steins gate on PC for $3..

This is one hell of a sale. Wow!

Been waiting for Odin Sphere to go on sale so I'm definitely buying that. Might pick up Nier and FFXV as well.

Astebreed is only $9.99! Fantastic shoot em up style game. Highly recommend!

I own a PS3 and am getting a PS4 later. I think I've purchased every PS3 title I want and still have $80 in my PSN account. Is there a way to spend it on PS4 games in the meantime before I purchase the console?

I went ahead and grabbed
Steins;Gate
Suikoden 2
Deception IV
Sorcery Saga

Gotta say, based on the little I've played of Sorcery Saga so far, I'm very in. Traditional Japanese roguelike gameplay, an honest-to-god funny and charming plot, and some of the music is gooooood. And for what, 4.50? Criminal.

Korigama

I own a PS3 and am getting a PS4 later. I think I've purchased every PS3 title I want and still have $80 in my PSN account. Is there a way to spend it on PS4 games in the meantime before I purchase the console?
Logging in through the web store makes this possible.

So in addition to GR2, I'm also considering Xenoverse 2. I've been meaning to pick it up. Surely it's worth it for $36? Or should I consider the deluxe edition?

Thoughts?

Jimrpg

What's the appeal of Steins;gate?
I played it for an hour and was extremely bored of the very VERY slow progression and having to skip through so much text that doesn't at all add to the story. The images of the girls were extremely embarrassing to watch (I was on a plane mind you and am in my 30s), and from my recollection they grunted/gasped ALL the time.

It's a Visual Novel. You read it like a book. So if you're skipping text, and I don't like to say this often, sounds like you're doing it wrong.

It's also got Japanese style anime/manga style drawings so if you don't like that, the game will annoy you for the entirety of the way. Having said that, you're missing out on a great game if you can't get past the anime/manga style and japanese culture. It's got the best time travel story by a long shot, and because it uses time travel in the most perfect way as a plot device.

Kyrios

Thanks. I'm noticing that there's playable character DLC. Does that matter for story mode or just multiplayer? Also, should I go through some other media, or is the included recap enough?

The recap will be fine, it's long though, I remember the game saying it was going to take like 30 minutes or so. So it's just a matter if you want to quickly read through a synopsis of each game or just go through the in-game recap.

DLC doesn't matter for the story mode.

I bought Steins Gate

I wish this had a dub, I'm finding myself falling asleep hearing the Japanese and trying to read the small text

partime

It's a Visual Novel. You read it like a book. So if you're skipping text, and I don't like to say this often, sounds like you're doing it wrong.

It's also got Japanese style anime/manga style drawings so if you don't like that, the game will annoy you for the entirety of the way. Having said that, you're missing out on a great game if you can't get past the anime/manga style and japanese culture. It's got the best time travel story by a long shot, and because it uses time travel in the most perfect way as a plot device.

It's like having to press the X button after every 1/2 line in an entire novel.

"Did he really build a time machine?" X

Anyway, I really wanted to get into it, but the story progression of having to manually advance each and every line was too much for me. ...

Was I playing it right?

Kyrios

Anyway, I really wanted to get into it, but the story progression of having to manually advance each and every line was too much for me. ...

Was I playing it right?

I could have sworn there was an auto-advance setting in the options.

WoolyNinja

Grabbed Nier - then I foolishly believed my PS4 when it said it was installed and played the first section, and then sat at a loading screen for 2 minutes before realizing it was still downloading the last 30gb :(

hongcha

People have been saying that for like 3 years. Meanwhile I keep cleaning up in sales and getting an avalanche of games for the system.

I hear ya. This year is packed with retail releases too. Hardware side might be dead, but the software keeps coming in droves and there's no end in sight.

Ventara

Might pick up MeiQ since it's so cheap. Maybe Steins;Gate just to have a digital copy. Gonna pass on Ateliet Sophie since I still have the entire Dusk trilogy to finish.

It's a good sale, but I already have most everything I'd want.

Toki767

Was kind of hoping the Attack on Titan game would be on sale.

Koei Tecmo sure don't like putting anything other than Dynasty/Samurai Warriors on sale.

DigSCCP

How good is Code Realize?
I was looking into some Vita games in this sale and just realized that I already own the game lol

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol

Koei Tecmo sure don't like putting anything other than Dynasty/Samurai Warriors on sale.

The Atelier games, Deception, Dead or Alive 5, Nights of Azure...

They've got plenty of non-musou games on sale.

Jimrpg

Was I playing it right?

Yeah it was a bit annoying for me at first, but that problem is inherent in the entire genre of VNs.

Anyway in regards to your original message... all I meant was if you didn't like it because of the slow progression, well its a novel! So there's no cutscenes here, no action sequences, no gameplay, just reading! It'd be like going from GTA V to Steins;Gate and saying its kind of slow, well yes it is when you compare a 'game' to what is essentially a book and non interactive.

Syril

Does Steins;Gate have a text log feature where you can look back at the text you've already advanced through?

omg_mjd

Pretty sure I'm going to hate Steins;Gate since I can't get into VNs at all but I loved the anime so I gotta at least give this a shot. Especially at that price.

I loved the first one, and was waiting on a sale for this one. Time to buy!

Do it! :)

Yeah, I'll pick this up eventually too on a good sale since I never got around to it when it came out plus being flooded with stuff to play already. Also since I was disappointed they didn't get the dub cast like they do for their Naruto games. AoT is definitely big enough they could have afforded it.

I love these PSN sales!

Picked up Garou, Suikoden 2, Mega Man 8, and Tron Bonne.

Speaking of Garou... It and Last Blade 2 are awesome on PS4. I want SNK to release all of their games in that format, but it's too late for that, since they released a few other titles (Fatal Fury Collection 2, KoF 2000, Metal Slug) as PS2 classics. It's frustrating to see how SNK doesn't have a consistent/focused approach to releasing their catalogue on any given console.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I love these PSN sales!

Picked up Garou, Suikoden 2, Mega Man 8, and Tron Bonne.

Speaking of Garou... It and Last Blade 2 are awesome on PS4. I want SNK to release all of their games in that format, but it's too late for that, since they released a few other titles (Fatal Fury Collection 2, KoF 2000, Metal Slug) as PS2 classics. It's frustrating to see how SNK doesn't have a consistent/focused approach to releasing their catalogue on any given console.

I want to get Last Blade 2 just for the PS4 theme. It plays the character select theme, which is one of my favorite pieces of VGM ever.

Ouroboros

Perfect timing, I am going on a few trips this summer and some include very long plane rides.

Bought for my lovely Vita :

Aegis of Earth: Protonovus Assault
SteinsGate
Sorcery Saga: Curse of the Great Curry God
Soldner-X 2: Final Prototype Complete Bundle
Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines

All the games look like ones I would like, except SteinsGate....but the gaf-hype made me buy it and check it out.

Banned
Man, based off my wishlist and games I enjoy, this sale is more like a Golden Shower week. So much garbage. What are half these games? Lol.

PSN store is slowly becoming the app store and Google play Store.

adversarial

I see Odin Sphere up there like 4 times, each subsequent entry having a more reduced price. Will check when I get home.

ethomaz

Banned
I still have serious doubts of what get...

I got the free Code:Realize - Guardian of Rebirth months a ago (it is now $11.99) and I found it boring... $3 is really cheap for Steins;Gate but it is really amusing me if I end not liking it :(

From the JRPGs...

- I Am Setsuna is a good deal? 40% off only and the $$$ is too high I guess.

- The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel? 55% off... is that the lowest price it gets?

- Ys: Memories of Celceta? 55% off but the $8.99 price really attempts me.

- Valkyria Chronicles Remastered? 40% off... maybe I can get cheaper this year yet?

Any other good recommendation for PS4 or Vita???

Top Bottom