• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US PSN Golden Week sale 5/2-5/8

Another sale goes by without a Danganronpa price drop.

giphy.gif

autoduelist

Interested in Dungeon Travelers 2, MeiQ and Sorcery Saga, as I'm always down for a good dungeon crawler or traditional Roguelike.

Earth's Dawn also looks really unique.

If you like drpgs, get DT2. Fantastic map design, tons of content [practically a whole second game worth of hard dungeons once you beat the game]. I haven't played MeiQ yet but the reviews I read basically said 'flawed but enjoyable'. Sorcery Saga survives on it's sense of humor, it's too easy so is more of a time passer than a challenge.

Grabbed Nier - then I foolishly believed my PS4 when it said it was installed and played the first section, and then sat at a loading screen for 2 minutes before realizing it was still downloading the last 30gb :(

The ps4 has two different messages -- something that basically says 'Nier partially installed enough to begin play' [not those words] and then 'Nier install complete'. Depends on the game and dl rate, but I've often had the game complete install while I was still playing the partial install.

Perfect timing, I am going on a few trips this summer and some include very long plane rides.

Bought for my lovely Vita :

Aegis of Earth: Protonovus Assault
SteinsGate
Sorcery Saga: Curse of the Great Curry God
Soldner-X 2: Final Prototype Complete Bundle
Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines

All the games look like ones I would like, except SteinsGate....but the gaf-hype made me buy it and check it out.

Aegis of Earth is a really good game. Not great, but really good. It's sort of a twist [lol] on tower defense. You place buildings on rotating circles around a city core, then during battle spin the various circles into firing position. If buildings match in multiple rows, they combine to more powerful cannons. You also have multiple characters that help out, but can also get exhausted, so need to manage commander assignment. You also upgrade and buy new towers, etc. I had three minor cons -- 1) I felt like the end game should have been twice as difficult... the challenge stopped ramping up a little early, 2) there's a bit of resource grinding [not ridiculously excessive], and 3) I found a very viable weapon setup maybe halfway through and never felt the need to change it even when I unlocked new stuff [see issue #1]. I wanted to feel a bit more need to switch weapon setup per battle, etc. Still, I had a blast plating the game overall, but I like the genre.

The Soldner games are solid shmups. If you like the genre, get em.

Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines is great ,although I burnt out on it [can't remember why]. Your units have lifespans, so you need to manage them [making sure all of them don't die out at the same time, mating them [with gods] so their offspring are more powerful and your various units are at a nice age range distance. Dungeons are wild twisting 3d affairs, which can be confusing. Time passage [for age] is a bit frustrating, as you run through the dungeon time passes, fast, but it makes sense once you get the hang of it. I liked it, but I wanted to love it.

I've posted about Sorcery Saga earlier. I'd probably go with something different unless you want something easy to pass the time, although it is funny. DT2 and others provide better games/challenges.

PSN store is slowly becoming the app store and Google play Store.

Not even close.

I can't check, but which vita games are on sale?
Aegis of Earth: Protonovus Assault – $11.99, $8.99
Amnesia: Memories – $5.99, $2.99
Arcana Heart 3: Love Max – $7.49, $4.99
Atelier Escha & Logy: Alchemists of the Dusk Sky – $23.99, $15.99
Atelier Sophie: The Alchemist of the Mysterious Book – $23.99, $15.99
BlazBlue Chrono Phantasma Extend – $19.99, $11.99
BlazBlue: Continuum Shift II (PSP) – $2.99, $1.99
Blazing Souls Accelerate (PSP) – $2.99, $1.99
Chameleon (PSP) – $1.59, $1.19
Cho Aniki Zero (PSP) – $2.39, $1.79
Code: Realize Guardian of Rebirth – $19.99, $11.99
Croixleur Sigma – $10.49, $8.99
Crypt of the NecroDancer – $5.24, $3.74
Deception IV: The Nightmare Princess – $23.99, $15.99
Dragon Quest Builders – $27.99, $23.99
Dragon's Crown – $17.99, $14.99
Dungeon Travelers 2: The Royal Library & The Monster Seal – $14.99, $11.99
Elminage Original (PSP) – $5.99, $4.49
Exist Archive: The Other Side of the Sky – $19.99, $11.99
Fate/Extella – $27.99, $23.99
Gal Gun: Double Peace – $19.99, $15.99
Garou: Mark of the Wolves – $7.49, $5.99
Gladiator Begins (PSP) – $3.19, $2.39
Guilty Gear Accent Core Plus (PSP) – $3.99, $2.99
Hakuoki: Demon of the Fleeting Blossom (PSP) – $3.99, $2.99
Hakuoki: Warriors of the Shinsengumi (PSP) – $3.19, $2.39
Hyperdimension Neptunia U: Action Unleashed – $8.99, $5.99
Jikandia: The Timeless Land (PSP) – $4.99, $2.99
Let's Fish! Hooked On (PSP) – $3.19, $1.59
Lost Dimension – $14.99, $11.99
MegaTagmension Blanc + Neptune VS Zombies – $11.99, $8.99
MeiQ: Labyrinth of Death – $5.99, $2.99
Mimana Iyar Chronicle (PSP) – $3.99, $2.99
Mind Zero – $12.49, $7.49
Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (PSP) – $5.99, $3.99
Muramasa Rebirth Complete Collection – $17.49, $10.49
Ninja Senki DX – $1.99, $0.99
Norn9: Var Commons – $19.99, $11.99
Odin Sphere Leifthrasir – $25.99, $21.99
Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines – $9.99, $7.99
Persona 4: Dancing All Night – $27.99, $23.99
Persona 4 Golden – $11.99, $8.99
Power Stone Collection (PSP) – $4.99, $3.99
Ragnarok Tactics (PSP) – $3.19, $2.39
Rainbow Moon – $5.99, $4.49
Senran Kagura Estival Versus – $16.49, $13.49
Shiren the Wanderer: The Tower of Fortune and the Dice of Fate – $19.99, $15.99
Soldner-X 2: Final Prototype – $2.99, $1.99
Soldner-X 2: Final Prototype Complete Bundle – $3.89, $2.59
Sorcery Saga: Curse of the Great Curry God – $7.49, $4.49
Steins;Gate – $4.99, $2.99
Steins;Gate 0 – $19.99, $15.99
Superdimension Neptune VS Sega Hard Girls – $19.99, $15.99
The Last Blade 2 – $7.49, $5.99
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel – $21.99, $17.99
TorqueL – $4.99, $3.99
Valkyrie Drive Bhikkhuni – $25.99, $21.99
Warriors of the Lost Empire (PSP) – $2.39, $1.79
XBlaze Code: Embryo – $9.99, $5.99
XBlaze Lost: Memories – $19.99, $11.99
Ys: Memories of Celceta – $10.99, $8.99
Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward – $11.24, $8.74
Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma – $23.99, $19.99
Z-Run – $3.59, $2.69

PSOne Classics

Armored Core – $1.79, $1.19
Mega Man 8 – $1.79, $1.19
Mega Man Legends – $2.99, $1.99
Suikoden II – $2.99, $1.99
Tecmo's Deception: Invitation to Darkness – $2.99, $2.39
The Misadventures of Tron Bonne – $2.39, $1.79

Jimrpg

Just picked up DT2 again after having left it for about a month. It's still amazing. About 45hrs in, chapter 7 I think, the palace, and it's getting really hard especially if u have to level up other characters. Tried to add Soufflé but she really tanks the team. I've gone back to Melvy and immediately noticed how much better the team is. I can still get thru the anti magic areas and destroy everyone in the regular areas.

I've made a terrible mistake.

I bought Steins;Gate for Vita and when I got home I remembered my Vita's still on the old firmware for HENkaku. I can't download the game unless I update the firmware which isn't happening, so I'll probably never play the game I bought. At least it was only $3. I thought about the PS3 version but there's no way I'd sit in front of a TV and my loud-ass PS3 to play something like that for hours. Oh well. I've been meaning to watch the anime.

I will be picking up Berseria, Nier Automata, and Blazblue Central fiction for sure. I always wanted the last chapter of BB but the no dub thing threw me off it. Seeing it at such a low price now is amazing.

I've made a terrible mistake.

I bought Steins;Gate for Vita and when I got home I remembered my Vita's still on the old firmware for HENkaku. I can't download the game unless I update the firmware which isn't happening, so I'll probably never play the game I bought. At least it was only $3. I thought about the PS3 version but there's no way I'd sit in front of a TV and my loud-ass PS3 to play something like that for hours. Oh well. I've been meaning to watch the anime.

Use your loud-ass PS3 to download the game and transfer it to your Vita with the QCMA trick. Assuming that still works.

SephLuis

Is this true!?!

Yup! Looked it up after posting and it has no time restraints and uses a calendar system instead.

Atelier Sophie has no time limits at all and you can take the game at your own pace.

Atelier Firis introduces a single quest that you must complete within a year before you can freely explore the world. This creates some problems since the quest is quite long and you usually have no idea if you're short on time. 1 year is more than enough for the quest, even at a leisure pace.

I might be mistaken, but I don't remember if Atelier Shallie had time limits too. If it had, they were very, very lenient.

So is Escha and Logy's Vita port competent? I've got Ayesha on Vita and it's a bit of a mess. Thinking about just doing this series on PS3 instead.

I bought:

Armored Core
Deception: Invitation to Darkness
Megaman Legends
Mimana Iyar Chronicle
Misadventures of Tron Bonne
Ragnarok Tactics

And I am satisfied!

So is Escha and Logy's Vita port competent? I've got Ayesha on Vita and it's a bit of a mess. Thinking about just doing this series on PS3 instead.

Ayesha is the most messy of the Vita Atelier ports, imo. Escha & Logy is better, but it's not perfect, so depends how much performance bothers you.

blado

I ordered a used vita yesterday from ebay. Already bought Persona 4 Golden and Stein's Gate. I'm probably going to pick up Monster Hunter Freedom Unite as well. What are some other good vita games to pick up during the sale?

Wish Yakuza 5 would go on sale again, Golden Week sale would have been perfect.

I picked up Steins Gate on Vita, Suikoden III and The Misadventures of Tron Bonne.

autoduelist

I ordered a used vita yesterday from ebay. Already bought Persona 4 Golden and Stein's Gate. I'm probably going to pick up Monster Hunter Freedom Unite as well. What are some other good vita games to pick up during the sale?

I mean, there are a lot. And it depends on your tastes.

I'd say you should look into....
* = not my thing, but others seem to like it

PlayStation Vita
Aegis of Earth: Protonovus Assault – $11.99, $8.99
*Atelier Sophie: The Alchemist of the Mysterious Book – $23.99, $15.99
*Crypt of the NecroDancer – $5.24, $3.74
Deception IV: The Nightmare Princess – $23.99, $15.99
Dragon Quest Builders – $27.99, $23.99
*Dragon’s Crown – $17.99, $14.99
Dungeon Travelers 2: The Royal Library & The Monster Seal – $14.99, $11.99
Elminage Original (PSP) – $5.99, $4.49
Gladiator Begins (PSP) – $3.19, $2.39
*Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (PSP) – $5.99, $3.99
*Odin Sphere Leifthrasir – $25.99, $21.99
Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines – $9.99, $7.99
*Persona 4: Dancing All Night – $27.99, $23.99
*Persona 4 Golden – $11.99, $8.99
Shiren the Wanderer: The Tower of Fortune and the Dice of Fate – $19.99, $15.99
Soldner-X 2: Final Prototype – $2.99, $1.99
Soldner-X 2: Final Prototype Complete Bundle – $3.89, $2.59
*Steins;Gate – $4.99, $2.99
*Steins;Gate 0 – $19.99, $15.99
Ys: Memories of Celceta – $10.99, $8.99
Zero Escape: Virtue’s Last Reward – $11.24, $8.74
Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma – $23.99, $19.99

PSOne Classics
Armored Core – $1.79, $1.19
Mega Man 8 – $1.79, $1.19
Mega Man Legends – $2.99, $1.99
Suikoden II – $2.99, $1.99
Tecmo’s Deception: Invitation to Darkness – $2.99, $2.39
The Misadventures of Tron Bonne – $2.39, $1.79

i left some games i like out, but tried to keep the list relatively small [but failed]

BBboy20

Chambra looks stylish as all hell yet it seems to be a local multiplayer game only and it seems nobody else seems to have played it.

Silly question but does anyone know if the physical Japanese release of Croixleur Sigma features support for English or is it Japanese text only? It is hard enough justifying the extra funds just to have it physical; I'd like to at least make sure the game can be played with English text. Thanks in advance!

Just Steins; Gate 0 Vita for me. I bought Gravity Rush like a month ago, haven't gotten around to it yet and now it's on sale, bah

Aegis of Earth is a really good game. Not great, but really good. It's sort of a twist [lol] on tower defense. You place buildings on rotating circles around a city core, then during battle spin the various circles into firing position. If buildings match in multiple rows, they combine to more powerful cannons. You also have multiple characters that help out, but can also get exhausted, so need to manage commander assignment. You also upgrade and buy new towers, etc. I had three minor cons -- 1) I felt like the end game should have been twice as difficult... the challenge stopped ramping up a little early, 2) there's a bit of resource grinding [not ridiculously excessive], and 3) I found a very viable weapon setup maybe halfway through and never felt the need to change it even when I unlocked new stuff [see issue #1]. I wanted to feel a bit more need to switch weapon setup per battle, etc. Still, I had a blast plating the game overall, but I like the genre.

I'd also add that the game probably goes on for too long. To be fair, I did platinum it, so it couldn't have been that tiring, but 40 hours is more than enough time for the mechanics to wear thin. Still, surprisingly enjoyable for what was presumably an extremely low-budget title for Aksys, and definitely worth $12/$8 if the gameplay looks interesting at all to you.

Picked up The Last Blade 2 after seeing you get both PS4 and Vita. Old favorite from the DC days. Also comes with a decent theme for each. Sampled on PS4 but practicing character moves now on Vita.

Add: already have Steins, still going through it

CLEEK

Wild Guns Reloaded and Garou bundle for $24.50

I've been waiting for these two to come down in price. Combined with Last Resort on PSN and Blazing Star on Switch releasing on the same day as the flash sale, it's been the best set of purchases I've made in a long time.

I really liked the Odin Sphere demo, but I'm also full on games atm. Do ya'll think it'll ever reach this price again? Retail seems like a no, but I don't mind digital sales.

Only 20 minutes in, and you're already making a post like this? You've barely seen anything. Don't give up, once it finally really starts you wont want to stop.
Is there ever any gameplay? So far it's just been buttoning through text. If that's all it is, then fine. It's not for me. I've never played a visual novel before and I know it says "novel" right in the title but I didn't realize that might mean no interactivity at all...

Necrovex

Is there ever any gameplay? So far it's just been buttoning through text. If that's all it is, then fine. It's not for me. I've never played a visual novel before and I know it says "novel" right in the title but I didn't realize that might mean no interactivity at all...

The Ace Attorney, Zero Escape, and Dangonronpa are rarities when it comes to interaction in visual novels. Steins; Gate is basically reading a novel with visuals and music. Most visual novels are basically like Steins;Gate.

If that is your issue with it, then stop playing it right now because it doesn't change.

Yeah, if thats what you were looking for then this isnt the game. Its nothing but reading and making choices.

Velcro Fly

Is getting the plat in Steins Gate overly convoluted where I'd need to follow a guide? Or can I basically find my way to all endings and stuff blind and get most trophies? I don't mind playing the game blind, but it seems like an easy plat and I'm sometimes a trophy whore and don't want to end up playing through like 3 times if I don't have to. I'm buying it regardless though haha so I guess it doesn't matter much.

Jimrpg

Made it 20 mins in SteinsGate. Thank god that was only 3 dollars. GAF hype strikes again. When will I learn?

20mins? It's 30hrs long. At least play it for a couple of hours.

And it's a book, a 30hr book. Now that you know that, hope your expectations have changed enough to give it a little go. Otherwise I totally understand it might not be for you.

Btw there was a thread on the front page about Steins;Gate yesterday.

Is getting the plat in Steins Gate overly convoluted where I'd need to follow a guide? Or can I basically find my way to all endings and stuff blind and get most trophies? I don't mind playing the game blind, but it seems like an easy plat and I'm sometimes a trophy whore and don't want to end up playing through like 3 times if I don't have to. I'm buying it regardless though haha so I guess it doesn't matter much.

It's an easy plat sure, you don't have to do anything difficult. But getting it without a guide would be difficult.
There's a FF button to scroll through the text and saving before key points/branches in the storyline is required.

The first play thru should probably be for the story alone. Then you can just go back and pick up everything you missed via old save points.

ethomaz

Banned
Gameplay in a visual novel? I guess you confused what this game is... it is an interactive reading book... just that.

Instead to read it on paper you read on your TV.

PS. It is more like book with pictures but it is essentially a book.

You need a guide for the correct answers to get most trophies.

Top Bottom