• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US PSN Golden Week sale 5/2-5/8

etrain911

If I'm debating between Road to Boruto or Odin Sphere which do I pick? I own the PS2 classic version of Odin Sphere on PS3.

PullumPurna

Neo Member
I got Nights of Azure because I've been wanting to play it for such a long time.
Also, great price on Odin Sphere! Unfortunately, I can't afford both of them, so I chose the one that was cheaper.

Still waiting for a good sale for Disgaea 5 D:

Man, I really can't make up my mind what I wanna get for this sale. There's too many games I do want. Nier Automata seems like the obvious choice, and it's certainly up at the top of my list, but trying to pick only more secondary game beyond that is very difficult.

I'd be down for Gravity Rush 2 if I didn't hear so many mixed things, so makes me wanna wait. Odin Sphere Leifthrasir looks awesome, but I owned the game as a PS2 classic for years, and never got around to playing it, so I've been afraid of jumping on Leifthrasir because it might just not be played again for a while.

Then there are titles like Atelier Sophie and Root Letter which have been on my radar, but I don't know much about to know if I'll like them, but I'd really like to give em a try.

Ugh, what to get.

Syril

I'm kinda shocked by Steins Gate somehow having text formatting issues, but the translation is good, so whatever, $5.

There's a demo here, it's not very long but who knows, maybe it'll click. Or you could go blind into GR1 that's also awesome and also on sale.

I actually did play through GR Remastered already. I liked the game, it was super fun messing with the gravity stuff, but I also think it wasn't perfect. I wanna love the series, and was hoping the sequel would elevate it, but it just kept sounding like it didn't fix a lot of the problems the first one had. I don't know for sure, cuz I didn't look at spoilers or anything, it just seemed like reception wasn't hot, and that was discouraging.

cheesekao

I actually did play through GR Remastered already. I liked the game, it was super fun messing with the gravity stuff, but I also think it wasn't perfect. I wanna love the series, and was hoping the sequel would elevate it, but it just kept sounding like it didn't fix a lot of the problems the first one had. I don't know for sure, cuz I didn't look at spoilers or anything, it just seemed like reception wasn't hot, and that was discouraging.
I don't know where you're looking but the general reception of GR2 is, for the most part, positive. There are also plenty of spoiler-free reviews to help with your decision.

ethomaz

Banned
There is time yet... I just added $50 to buy some stuff.

I eat something easy driven by menus to play while moving on bus for Vita... some JRPG or SRPG with turn based combat (that I have time to stop at middle of battle while moving).

Any recommendation or The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel is the best option???

SephLuis

There is time yet... I just added $50 to buy some stuff.

I eat something easy driven by menus to play while moving on bus for Vita... some JRPG or SRPG with turn based combat (that I have time to stop at middle of battle while moving).

Any recommendation or The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel is the best option???

Cold Steel is a great one. If not that there's Ateiler (and I think you mentioned already having Persona 4).

Trails games, in general, are story driven JRPGs that take their sweet time introducing and building the world so that the biggest moments cause a bigger impact on the player. It works very well, but the player needs some patience until it gets to the good parts.

ethomaz

Banned
Cold Steel is a great one. If not that there's (and I think you mentioned already having Persona 4).

Trails games, in general, are story driven JRPGs that take their sweet time introducing and building the world so that the biggest moments cause a bigger impact on the player. It works very well, but the player needs some patience until it gets to the good parts.
Yeap I have P4G already.

Which has a more engaging battle system? Atelier or Cold Stell?

autoduelist

Yeap I have P4G already.

Assuming it's like it's predecessors, Cold Steel. TiTS had solid combat, jrpg with a srpg twist [each unit moved around a battlefield, and various attacks had different AOE, etc].

The Atelier games I've played had your standard non-positional turn based combat. It wasn't bad or anything, but crafting is the 'main draw' of the game, not combat.

Really enjoying Fairy Fencer. Glad I purchased it. I am thinking about Gradius 5, Suikoden 2 and Suikoden 3 for some reason though. I got too many RPG's already as it is, but those prices are tempting.

SephLuis

Yeap I have P4G already.

I would say Cold Steel, but mostly because of how each game is structured around it's battle system.

In CS you have many characters that have unique skills and you can equip the necessary magic support/attacks as necessary. The game also tells the order of turns and grants buff/debuffs on some of them so controlling the order of turns greatly affects the strategies. This is a game where you can spend some considerable time just building your characters for battle and even the battles themselves are a main focus of the game since, in some battles, you might need to adjust your strategies mid-battle.

In Atelier (taking Escha & Logy as example) the battle system has a lot of interesting mechanics, but the main objective of the game is still alchemy.

Through alchemy you will create equipment and items that can be used in battle. Winning battles gives you more items which further expand alchemy. Further expanding alchemy means that, eventually, you will become OP and clean most of the game's battles easily.

E&L has a support system that you can combo multiple attacks or use it to cover for allies. It makes a great battle system that, unfortunately, has been simplified in the next installments of the series (Sophie, for example, has a much more simple battle system).

Battles in Atelier usually go very, very fast, even on some bosses if you go prepared. Even if you go unprepared, stronger enemies will probably kill you in an instant (the game doesn't have much in terms of penalties for a game over). Because of that, you spend much more time making alchemy rather than battling foes.

hongcha

MeiQ for Vita is a steal at $2.99. Fun dungeon-RPG with a scenario by the guy who did Metal Max 3 and 4 (both of which are really cool games).

tempted to grab Gravity Rush 2, is it required to have finished the first game? i have it on VITA but did not complete it.
not sure if i want to re-play the first one again.
should i go for GR2 if not buying the first one? (the remaster)

ethomaz

Banned
Atelier combat is serviceable but hats not what the game is really about. Cold Steel is not bad

Assuming it's like it's predecessors, Cold Steel. TiTS had solid combat, jrpg with a srpg twist [each unit moved around a battlefield, and various attacks had different AOE, etc].

The Atelier games I've played had your standard non-positional turn based combat. It wasn't bad or anything, but crafting is the 'main draw' of the game, not combat.

I would say Cold Steel, but mostly because of how each game is structured around it's battle system.

In CS you have many characters that have unique skills and you can equip the necessary magic support/attacks as necessary. The game also tells the order of turns and grants buff/debuffs on some of them so controlling the order of turns greatly affects the strategies. This is a game where you can spend some considerable time just building your characters for battle and even the battles themselves are a main focus of the game since, in some battles, you might need to adjust your strategies mid-battle.

In Atelier (taking Escha & Logy as example) the battle system has a lot of interesting mechanics, but the main objective of the game is still alchemy.

Through alchemy you will create equipment and items that can be used in battle. Winning battles gives you more items which further expand alchemy. Further expanding alchemy means that, eventually, you will become OP and clean most of the game's battles easily.

E&L has a support system that you can combo multiple attacks or use it to cover for allies. It makes a great battle system that, unfortunately, has been simplified in the next installments of the series (Sophie, for example, has a much more simple battle system).

Battles in Atelier usually go very, very fast, even on some bosses if you go prepared. Even if you go unprepared, stronger enemies will probably kill you in an instant (the game doesn't have much in terms of penalties for a game over). Because of that, you spend much more time making alchemy rather than battling foes.
Obrigado... vou de Cold Steel mesmo.

How's Tales of Bersaria?
There is a demo on PSN.

I found the battle system bad but that is me.

lbsa

Suikoden 2 doesn't appear on the vita store for me. Is that one of those that i need to buy on the web store?

In addition to Tales of Berseria, I just bought Gravity Rush Remastered.

Man, this was a good sale for me. Now I just have to decide, on which one to start after finishing Persona 5.

P.S: Still have around 29 bucks in my wallet, but haven't seen anything interesting in that price range.

ethomaz

Banned
Cold Steel purchased.

PS4 time.

Valkyria Chronicles Remastered is the best option or there are something better or cheaper?

PS. I already have Digimon.

Hexa

Picked up Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth, Gravity Rush Remastered, Valkyria Chronicles Remastered, God Eater 2: Rage Burst, and Astebreed. Will hold out on Blazblue for now. Nice haul. :)

Man, I really can't make up my mind what I wanna get for this sale. There's too many games I do want. Nier Automata seems like the obvious choice, and it's certainly up at the top of my list, but trying to pick only more secondary game beyond that is very difficult.

I'd be down for Gravity Rush 2 if I didn't hear so many mixed things, so makes me wanna wait. Odin Sphere Leifthrasir looks awesome, but I owned the game as a PS2 classic for years, and never got around to playing it, so I've been afraid of jumping on Leifthrasir because it might just not be played again for a while.

Then there are titles like Atelier Sophie and Root Letter which have been on my radar, but I don't know much about to know if I'll like them, but I'd really like to give em a try.

Ugh, what to get.

Gravity rush 2 has a lot of great things going for it. I love the first platinumed it and everything, but 2 while being beautiful feels held back by baffling design choices. To me, while the massive gorgeous world was a blast to fly through, the things i was doing in that world other than falling just were not fun. Where the first has the great rift plane sequences those in 2 are replaced by admitedly uniquely designed levels that are a series of tablet challenges that are often more frustrating than fun due to a mix of strict time limits and unforgiving controlls and camera. The other thing youll be doing a lot of are very boring and tedius stealth missions that take away your abilites...you know the thing that makes these games fun.
There are some great moments and fun battles but you have to slog through so much to reach them that for me it became too much and i traded it in. I feel that by going bigger in gr2, they lost something along the way that made the first so fantastic.

Rymuth

Man, this was a good sale for me. Now I just have to decide, on which one to start after finishing Persona 5.

P.S: Still have around 29 bucks in my wallet, but haven't seen anything interesting in that price range.
Gravity Rush. Should be shorter (if you don't get to Platinum it) plus the change in genres should be a good palette cleanser

Cold Steel purchased.

PS4 time.

Valkyria Chronicles Remastered is the best option or there are something better or cheaper?

PS. I already have Digimon.
I can't speak about other games, but Valkyria Chronicles is amazing. I think the sale price for that game is very good.

Gravity Rush. Should be shorter (if you don't get to Platinum it) plus the change in genres should be a good palette cleanser
Thanks Rymuth. Yeah, I had the same thought. After spending close to 140 hours in Persona 5 (still have to see the ending), I should go for something shorter.

SephLuis

If you have a Vita, join the Cold Steel party.

If you're only PS4, then Deception is an amazing puzzle like game.

Fairy Fencer F and Megadimension Neptunia are good (not great) RPGs. Both use a very simple battle system with a great skip feature that makes battling easy and short.
Both games have stories with a lot of humor, but FFF is a little more on the serious side in some moments.

Nights of Azure is a simple hack and slash game with a great OST, story and characters. The gameplay is simple and can get repetitive, but the game isn't too long either (20 hours is more than enough for everything)

Garou Mark of the Wolves
Capcom vs. SNK 2 Mark of the Millenium
Gradius V

All great deals and Desert Island games.

If you haven't played 2d fighting games or Shmups...try any of the above.

if you want physical copies best buy and amazon have
nier for $45
$30 for tales of berseria and digimon worldl next order some other stuff too but a little more pricier

Mozendo

Thinking of getting all 3 Star Wars Battlefront PSP games.
Is one notably better or worse than the others?

Edit: Ragnarok Tactics good?

Gravity rush 2 has a lot of great things going for it. I love the first platinumed it and everything, but 2 while being beautiful feels held back by baffling design choices. To me, while the massive gorgeous world was a blast to fly through, the things i was doing in that world other than falling just were not fun. Where the first has the great rift plane sequences those in 2 are replaced by admitedly uniquely designed levels that are a series of tablet challenges that are often more frustrating than fun due to a mix of strict time limits and unforgiving controlls and camera. The other thing youll be doing a lot of are very boring and tedius stealth missions that take away your abilites...you know the thing that makes these games fun.
There are some great moments and fun battles but you have to slog through so much to reach them that for me it became too much and i traded it in. I feel that by going bigger in gr2, they lost something along the way that made the first so fantastic.

This sounds a lot like that mixed reception I was talking about. And yeah...while I'd love to play it, I feel like it might be better off way for the next sale where it's $20 something instead.

I still got $45 left, and so far I've gotten Nier Automata, Garou, and SteinsGate.

There are just too damn many good choices in this sale that I still can't decide what to use the remainder of my funds on.

I wonder if I should get Valkyria Chronicles now. It's only been on sale one other time since it came out a year ago. Who knows how ling id have to wait for it to go on sale again.

Top Bottom