• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US PSN Golden Week sale 5/2-5/8

Anyone recommend Dragon Quest Heroes 1? I'm a fan of both musou and Dragon Quest, so I want it and it doesn't seem to go on sale much. Is it worth the $20 or am I setting myself up for disappointment?

Is Root Letter any good? I remember hearing some people were hyped about it being localized.
It's okay. I had high hopes and they weren't met. It wasn't bad though.
Is getting the plat in Steins Gate overly convoluted where I'd need to follow a guide? Or can I basically find my way to all endings and stuff blind and get most trophies? I don't mind playing the game blind, but it seems like an easy plat and I'm sometimes a trophy whore and don't want to end up playing through like 3 times if I don't have to. I'm buying it regardless though haha so I guess it doesn't matter much.
The Plat is super easy. Like, you can fast forward all the text and get it in 3 hours with a guide.
All endings are super easy to get except the true ending which requires a guide. A couple trophies require you to answer texts a certain way but it's not very difficult so just use a guide and you'll have it!

autoduelist

I'd also add that the game probably goes on for too long. To be fair, I did platinum it, so it couldn't have been that tiring, but 40 hours is more than enough time for the mechanics to wear thin. Still, surprisingly enjoyable for what was presumably an extremely low-budget title for Aksys, and definitely worth $12/$8 if the gameplay looks interesting at all to you.

Yeah, that ties into my #1 as well. If it got considerably harder at the end, it's staying power would last. I plat'd it too... in fact, I think I might have been first to do so [at least, according to one site].

Made it 20 mins in SteinsGate. Thank god that was only 3 dollars. GAF hype strikes again. When will I learn?

I think I fell for it too. There's pretty much no way I'm going to like it.

The Ace Attorney, Zero Escape, and Dangonronpa are rarities when it comes to interaction in visual novels. Steins; Gate is basically reading a novel with visuals and music. Most visual novels are basically like Steins;Gate.

I loved the room escape puzzles in ZE. I hated the story/clicking. I lasted maybe 2 people in Dangonronpa before wanting to strangle every character and quitting.

I love reading, and have read a lot of books and comics. I've even watched my share of [older] anime, like Kenshin and Trigun. But 10 minutes of every VN i've tried makes me want to punch things, I hate it so much.

I bought Steins;Gate in this sale as a final 'last chance' for a vn. Hoping the time travel theme pulls me through.

Gameplay in a visual novel? I guess you confused what this game is... it is an interactive reading book... just that.

There seem to be quite a few with 'gameplay' segments, in addition to the ones already mentioned. There's a upcoming srpg/vn for vita, for example.

Z3M0G

Ok... Aegis of Earth (vita) was only a few bucks and is blowing my mind. It often caught my eye but I wasn't quite sure about it. At this price im happy I finally jumped on it.

It is basically a mix of:

JRPG x Sim City x Tower Defense

vareon

Alright, grabbed Steins;Gate.

I'm familiar with the franchise (being talked a lot in anime fandom) but my closest experience to playing VN is Phoenix Wright. I hope I can power through the 20+ hours of readings as the game page stated. Being on Vita helps, though.

autoduelist

20 minutes out of 25 hours story not including alternate story paths.
I guess even VN need to have explosions these days.

No. It's not that. I can sit and read 1000 page books with no problem.

But something about staring at a screen and reading anime dialog does my head in. It's the '...' lines, the reactions..., often the characters, common stuff like the general weird shyness about romance [easily captured by the anime 'blush', but there are lots of examples]. I don't like clicking x per line, and I don't like it auto-moving even more.

The fact that you assume people don't like VNs because they don't have explosions is ridiculous. It's condescending as hell.

I can't stand P4 either, for what it's worth. I love drpgs, I love SMT games, but P4 social interaction is unbearable for me. I couldn't stand the writing in ZE, even though I loved the room escape puzzles.

Blablurn

The anime dialogue lines are a little rough at the beginning but the story will shift to a more serious tone later on.

hongcha

I'd recommend you watch the Steins;Gate anime instead of playing the game, if you don't like VNs. It cuts out all of the filler (and there is a TON of it) and just focuses on the main plot points. I made it 14 hours into the VN before I gave up (thought it was getting boring with all the pointless filler) and just watched the anime series instead. No regrets.

PS: I actually like VNs and have played through many.

Is Fairy Fencer worth it if I like the Neptunia games and Omega Quintet? I know that I do not need anymore RPG's, but I was always interested in this game.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
After an hour with Steins Gate, I really hope it picks up as that opening is sluggish storytelling for any medium. I mean where is the 'hook'?

I understand the want to begin the game with cryptic foreshadowing nonsense(including space as a backdrop!), but this serves literally zero purpose as context is provided over time leaving the audience confused and irritated before introductions are made. When any connections are established, that same audience will have forgotten the opening sequence entirely and the glue is lost.

I'll maintain optimism and stick with it for now, but the sequences following the above weren't enthralling me either. :(

Juraash

Man I really want to pick up something for the Vita. I could use a good jrpg on the go. Ys and Persona have been on my radar but I kind of want to try something a bit more off the beaten path.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Man I want that SteinsGate, but am I seriously going to play a VN in the living room after my kids are in bed...? Probably not. I need that game portable.

Jimrpg

Man I really want to pick up something for the Vita. I could use a good jrpg on the go. Ys and Persona have been on my radar but I kind of want to try something a bit more off the beaten path.

How about a DRPG?

Dungeon Travelers 2 is great as long as you don't mind fan service. The gameplay is really good and there's tons of depth and options especially in the way of customizing skills for characters.

VexyWexy

Anyone recommend Dragon Quest Heroes 1? I'm a fan of both musou and Dragon Quest, so I want it and it doesn't seem to go on sale much. Is it worth the $20 or am I setting myself up for disappointment?

It's secretly a tower defense game. I love Warriors and I loathe DQH1. The sequel that just came out is leagues better.

Ventara

Ok... Aegis of Earth (vita) was only a few bucks and is blowing my mind. It often caught my eye but I wasn't quite sure about it. At this price im happy I finally jumped on it.

It is basically a mix of:

JRPG x Sim City x Tower Defense

SephLuis

Does Gravity Rush 2 improve combat over Gravity Rush 1? Couldnt finish Remastered cuz of it

It does, but still isn't one of the game stronger aspects. You will be battling as much as the first game, however, I should note that GR2 is much longer than Remastered so it would be better if you play this for a month little by little.

I recommend you finish GR Remastered because a lot of plot points are solved in GR 2.

Is Fairy Fencer worth it if I like the Neptunia games and Omega Quintet? I know that I do not need anymore RPG's, but I was always interested in this game.

Yes, it's worth it. FFF uses a battle system very similar to Neptunia and the story, IMO, is pretty good. The PS4 version also has two paths that weren't available on the original which made the game a whole lot better to me.

So...Gravity Rush 2 vs Nier--which should I get?

Only pick GR2 if you already finished GR1 and, even then, I would recommend Nier Automata over GR2.

Ys and Persona 4 are both excellent games.

If you want something different try:

Atelier Escha & Logy or Atelier Sophie (JRPG with focus on alchemy systems)
Deception IV (Puzzle game)
Trails of Cold Steel (JRPG with a good story)

Stage On

All I really wanted was for Atelier Shallie Plus to go on sale but no luck. Guess I'll have to wait a while since the Atelier games don't go on sale much outside of golden week.

i-Jest

Got me the two Suikoden games, Mark of The Wolves, and YS Memories of Celceta. I'll probably pick up Steins;Gate.

Use your loud-ass PS3 to download the game and transfer it to your Vita with the QCMA trick. Assuming that still works.

I tried it and unfortunately this doesn't work anymore. At least not if you have two-factor authentication turned on (and you should). I did some searching online and in order to transfer using this method, you'd need to turn 2FA off, login to both devices again, transfer, then turn 2FA back on. The problem is you can't sign into the Vita if you don't update the firmware, so there's no point in me turning 2FA off in the first place.

I mainly have HENkaku for the PSTV to get around Sony's shitty whitelist, so what I may do is just buy a cheap small Vita MC and update my actual Vita to the latest FW and keep my PSTV on 3.60.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
What's the deal with the sword art games? Are they good?

Have to watch the show?

autoduelist

It's secretly a tower defense game. I love Warriors and I loathe DQH1. The sequel that just came out is leagues better.

Can you speak more to how the sequel is better? I put a lot of time into DQ Herores before I finally burnt out [was going for the plat and just couldn't take it anymore...]. But I wanted it to be great [like DQ, like musou, like tower defense].

Does Gravity Rush 2 improve combat over Gravity Rush 1? Couldnt finish Remastered cuz of it
Well, I think they fleshed it out but if you didn't like it in the remaster, you probably won't like it in the second one.

There is a demo on PSN and play the experienced run to try out the new skills. Won't hurt to give it a try and see if you like it.

i-Jest

What's the deal with the sword art games? Are they good?

Have to watch the show?

I've heard Hollow Realization is good. Not sure if it's better than Lost Song. I vaguely remember reading the Vita version for one if them has frame rate issues. I don't think you need to watch the show, or read the light-novel to know what's going on. To my knowledge, the stories in the games are stand alone.

DigSCCP

I just wanna say : if you have questions about pulling the trigger on GR2...JUST DO IT !
4 hours in and Im amazed on how good is this sequence.
Playing Gravity Rush on DS4 ( I finished the first one on Vita ) feels soooooo good !
Game looks beatiful, seems to have a lot of content and some cool online features.
Kat deserves !

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Yeah. I stopped buying PSOne classics a couple of years ago for this reason - I still have a PS3 but don't want to have to dig it out for a PSOne game every once in a while.

Leaving money on the table as far as I am concerned.

Best part is the freakin' Vita runs 'em. But some posters here will insist that there's no money to make off these anymore and that it's only driven by logical business sense.

Kill3r7

Made it 20 mins in SteinsGate. Thank god that was only 3 dollars. GAF hype strikes again. When will I learn?

Bought it for $20 a year or so ago. Played for an hour and called it quits. These games just aren't for me. I really want to like them but I feel like I am better off just reading a book, which is often what I find myself doing on the train.

Velcro Fly

I bought

Mega Man Legends
Steins Gate (Vita)
Darksiders 1 + 2 combo pack

Going to end up playing MML on my PS3 though. I tried on my Vita and I just can't. It is short enough I could probably beat it in a couple days.

LiK

Bought it for $20 a year or so ago. Played for an hour and called it quits. These games just aren't for me. I really want to like them but I feel like I am better off just reading a book, which is often what I find myself doing on the train.

You're not wrong, it's a "Visual Novel" after all. I recommend giving it another chance. Story gets real good.

The End

Someone talk me out of buying Nier. I'm only halfway done with P5 and I still need to circle back and finish Horizon when I'm done with that.

Blindy

Took me about 20 hours to get into Steins;Gate at all, the final few hours are terrific though, especially the final chapter. Such a shame it takes so long to really develop. I just did not enjoy the science parts of the game. Had it not been for the amazing protagonist, I too would have dropped it.

It's like Batman The Ride. You are getting super hyped for something crazy, getting yourself buckled as you wait, getting anxious and then you go as it's unleashed saying "What? This is it?" and you feel like you got jipped.......and then as you go up, you start to wonder what the heck is to come and then OUT OF NOWHERE an adrenaline rush nonstop just hits as you are taking the plunge of insanity and then the ride ends just like that having you sort of craving for more of that and saying why that could not have been from the get go.

Top Bottom